PDA

View Full Version : No significant evidence of panic-buying/shortages so far with this third lockdown

Lencoboy
08-01-21, 16:39
Despite today's grim Covid stats, one particular shade of grey seems to be the apparent lack of reported panic-buying due to this third lockdown.

Well you all remember what happened last March, in the run-up to the very first lockdown, and to a much lesser extent in the run-up to the second lockdown in November, especially with the toilet rolls!

Have most people now come to their senses and started to realise that it was all a big unnecessary overreaction to issues that never really existed in the first place, or have the mainstream media now started to get more sensible and tone down their sensationalism and scaremongering stories which were partly responsible for fuelling the panic-buying hysteria in the first place, or both?

Pamplemousse
08-01-21, 17:13
I did hear of some idiot Northerners emptying their local B+M of bog rolls and dried rice/pasta but otherwise, nothing.

Lencoboy
08-01-21, 17:39
I did hear of some idiot Northerners emptying their local B+M of bog rolls and dried rice/pasta but otherwise, nothing.

But at least the mainstream press have kept it low-key so far, if true.

Because if it bleeds, it leads!

MyNameIsTerry
08-01-21, 20:09
To be fair we have to keep up with the idiot southerners emptying their Costcos a while back :yesyes:

I've noticed some things missing in the last couple of weeks but it's that time of year, pandemic and importers not knowing what the politicians were going to do until the 11th hour UK-EU.

Lencoboy
08-01-21, 23:15
To be fair we have to keep up with the idiot southerners emptying their Costcos a while back :yesyes:

I've noticed some things missing in the last couple of weeks but it's that time of year, pandemic and importers not knowing what the politicians were going to do until the 11th hour UK-EU.

Of course there were the delays at Dover during Christmas week due to the scare over the newer Covid mutation spreading between here and mainland Europe, which inevitably resulted in shortages of certain goods, but no reports of any related panic-buying though.

And if any at all, the media must have wised up and kept it relatively low-key.

MyNameIsTerry
09-01-21, 02:23
Of course there were the delays at Dover during Christmas week due to the scare over the newer Covid mutation spreading between here and mainland Europe, which inevitably resulted in shortages of certain goods, but no reports of any related panic-buying though.

And if any at all, the media must have wised up and kept it relatively low-key.

New system in place on both sides to cover the extra processing (some in a 12 month transition to help business adjust) but traffic is low at the moment.

Perhaps best to judge things as normal returns post Christmas holidays?

NancyW
09-01-21, 02:41
What we are seeing in the US is long wait times when purchasing appliances, my sister in law has to wait 4 months for a new dish washer.

My son wanted to build a new deck at his house, wood was in very short supply.

He needed a new lap top computer, difficult to find.

Oddly enough in the fall we could not find canning supplies.

Plenty of toilet paper though lol

NoraB
09-01-21, 06:20

Less of the Northerners. :yesyes:

pulisa
09-01-21, 08:33
There's a good supply of most stuff in darkest Surrey. Quilted bog roll is still a bit thin on the ground though so I snap it up when I can. Can't bear the hard stuff:D

Can't imagine how awful rationing must have been during the War and for years afterwards. We are so privileged really.

Lencoboy
09-01-21, 09:25
There's a good supply of most stuff in darkest Surrey. Quilted bog roll is still a bit thin on the ground though so I snap it up when I can. Can't bear the hard stuff:D

Can't imagine how awful rationing must have been during the War and for years afterwards. We are so privileged really.

Absolutely. A lot of people today don't know they're born, and they consider even the most minute inconvenience or deviation from the norm a major crisis.

NoraB
09-01-21, 10:33
Got myself a 9 pack of Panda bog roll no problem. :yesyes:

BikerMatt
09-01-21, 14:46
Less of the Northerners. :yesyes:

What about Northern kids, that would just blow PM's mind!! :D

MyNameIsTerry
09-01-21, 23:44

I bet this bloke would have some in his suitcase...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1nZ4JWoN2TIC3E8ylrKtEU9JpvykhQ aoWEg&usqp=CAU

:yesyes:

NoraB
10-01-21, 08:37
What about Northern kids, that would just blow PM's mind!! :D

Only Northern kids wouldn't be poncing around with Haribo. They're weaned off the milk and straight onto the pie, black pudding, Eccles cake, or whatever the local 'delicacy' happens to be. :yesyes:

pulisa
10-01-21, 08:43
My Dad (born and raised in Manchester) loved Eccles cakes but the only ones he could buy Darn Sarf were never as good and he longed to taste once again a genuine Northern one!

NoraB
10-01-21, 08:50
My Dad (born and raised in Manchester) loved Eccles cakes but the only ones he could buy Darn Sarf were never as good and he longed to taste once again a genuine Northern one!

Same here with oatcakes. They just don't taste the same once they leave Stoke. :shrug:

Optimum oatcake eating time is as you're leaving the oatcake shop - passing it from one hand to the other because it's giving you 3rd degree burns through the paper. This is a plus in winter when it's freezing ya bits off, but problematic in summer. :ohmy:

I miss my oatcakes. :weep:

pulisa
10-01-21, 08:55
You might have to ask Terry to send you a secret supply....Essential shopping for a friend in need, so to speak?:D More than a grain of truth in that..

NoraB
10-01-21, 09:03
You might have to ask Terry to send you a secret supply....Essential shopping for a friend in need, so to speak?:D More than a grain of truth in that..

No point. The moment an oatcake leaves the Staffordshire border - it surrenders its deliciousness. :weep:

They sell them in our local Tesco, and I've given them a try - naturally - but they're not the same. I have my memories, P, and that will have to keep me going until I can get back into Stoke and burn my hands on a freshly made oatcake!

Meanwhile, loads of 'dead fly cakes' here. :yesyes:

Lolalee1
10-01-21, 09:24
Got myself a 9 pack of Panda bog roll no problem. :yesyes:

Dunny rolls were running low yesterday at our local supermarket and we had only 1 Covid case here!.
I had to buy huggie baby wipes for my derrière but can’t flush them down the crapper.:roflmao:
So I went into the park dunny and stole some paper it was 1ply the stuff that sticks on ya bum.grrr

NoraB
10-01-21, 09:55
So I went into the park dunny and stole some paper it was 1ply the stuff that sticks on ya bum.grrr

I take my own loo paper to public loos. :D

Carnation
10-01-21, 10:12
Hey guys n gals, let's have less digs about the Northerners and Southerners or they'll be a divide there as well as Europe. :D

For me in the East, no brown bread for two weeks so that's my IBS triggered, no cat-food in my online shop, only basic toilet roll available, (like Pulisa, I like a bit of depth), and a shortage of tobacco.
Which means I turn into Mrs Ratty with a bloated tummy and a cat scratching the hell out of my furniture. :blush:
Luckily I ordered enough over the Christmas for the cat, but I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for next week's delivery.
So, yes, people were defo bulk buying in my area.

NoraB
10-01-21, 10:21
Hey guys n gals, let's have less digs about the Northerners

Couldn't agree more Carnation! :emot-prettywink:

Lencoboy
10-01-21, 10:25
Hey guys n gals, let's have less digs about the Northerners and Southerners or they'll be a divide there as well as Europe. :D

For me in the East, no brown bread for two weeks so that's my IBS triggered, no cat-food in my online shop, only basic toilet roll available, (like Pulisa, I like a bit of depth), and a shortage of tobacco.
Which means I turn into Mrs Ratty with a bloated tummy and a cat scratching the hell out of my furniture. :blush:
Luckily I ordered enough over the Christmas for the cat, but I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for next week's delivery.

Well I suppose there will still always be the odd exceptions but at least the media aren't going OTT about it and keeping it much lower key ATM.

Perhaps most people have now come to their senses and started to realise that the events of last March in particular were greatly hyped up over a virtually non-existent problem in the first place, which in turn became a self-fulfilling prophecy, all because of some idiots Down Under with an agenda, who definitely have a lot to answer for!

Carnation
10-01-21, 11:41
The media hype makes the Supermarkets lots of dosh.
Hard to find a bargain during a lockdown, no special offers and now the 3 for 2 being dumped. Will this mean 4 for 3 now? :winks:

BikerMatt
10-01-21, 13:24
Only Northern kids wouldn't be poncing around with Haribo. They're weaned off the milk and straight onto the pie, black pudding, Eccles cake, or whatever the local 'delicacy' happens to be. :yesyes:

Lol Nora!

pulisa
10-01-21, 14:14

Does your cat have a special diet, Carnation? Mine used to be on special stuff because she had had most of her colon removed at 18 months...I was in trouble if it went out of stock!

pulisa
10-01-21, 14:21
No point. The moment an oatcake leaves the Staffordshire border - it surrenders its deliciousness. :weep:

They sell them in our local Tesco, and I've given them a try - naturally - but they're not the same. I have my memories, P, and that will have to keep me going until I can get back into Stoke and burn my hands on a freshly made oatcake!

Meanwhile, loads of 'dead fly cakes' here. :yesyes:

My Dad would have been in his element!

Carnation
10-01-21, 14:52
Not really Pulisa, but he's fussy.
He won't eat the food in gravy, doesn't like fish either.
I stocked up pre Christmas, just as well I did. Now there's a curb on quantities, no more than 2.
If he had his way he'd live off of dreamies. :D

MyNameIsTerry
12-01-21, 01:39

Benson's and Snakebite https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/smoke/t3009.gifhttps://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/drink/t0318.gif

Ah, takes me back to the days of smuggling bottles of 20/20 into nightclubs (Nora, remember Vallees?)

NoraB
12-01-21, 07:28
Benson's and Snakebite https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/smoke/t3009.gifhttps://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/drink/t0318.gif

Ah, takes me back to the days of smuggling bottles of 20/20 into nightclubs (Nora, remember Vallees?)

Benson's was the fag of choice at the potbank I worked in after leaving school. I think I was on about 200 a day..

Nightclubs? Surely you mean 'discos' Terry? :yesyes:

Vallees? Nope. Brain does not compute. You will have to elaborate duck..

Lencoboy
12-01-21, 11:06
Benson's was the fag of choice at the potbank I worked in after leaving school. I think I was on about 200 a day..

What's a potbank Nora?

A (cannabis) shop?

A pub/nightclub/disco?

Nowadays, it beggars belief as to what people got away with back in the 80s and 90s by selling cigs (and booze) to underage kids with relative impunity, especially as not only all tobacco products have to be hidden away behind closed doors behind the till counters in all shops but also come in standardised packaging with the brand names and other info in a plain font and colour scheme. Let alone the indoor smoking bans since 2006-07, and first if all the banning of tobacco advertising since 2003, all of which we would have been considered mad to predict up until the 90s!

NoraB
12-01-21, 11:13
What's a potbank Nora?

A (cannabis) shop?

The cannabis shop made me laugh Len. :yesyes:

A 'potbank' is a pottery factory where they make bone china/earthenware/stoneware. Stoke-on-Trent is known as 'The Potteries'.

Lencoboy
12-01-21, 14:32
The cannabis shop made me laugh Len. :yesyes:

A 'potbank' is a pottery factory where they make bone china/earthenware/stoneware. Stoke-on-Trent is known as 'The Potteries'.

Oh I get it now, Nora.

And it was the norm of course to smoke in many workplaces years ago, even well into the 90s. It was also known for some people to booze whilst at work, even though it probably wasn't always recommended.

All seems so unthinkable nowadays!

NoraB
12-01-21, 14:58
And it was the norm of course to smoke in many workplaces years ago, even well into the 90s. It was also known for some people to booze whilst at work, even though it probably wasn't always recommended.

My first day at the potbank (1986) I went home covered in clay dust and stinking of fags. The old un's had a fag hanging out of their mouths while they worked...:ohmy:

Lencoboy
12-01-21, 15:06
My first day at the potbank (1986) I went home covered in clay dust and stinking of fags. The old un's had a fag hanging out of their mouths while they worked...:ohmy:

Ewwww!!

BTW, I've just started a new thread in the Misc subsection about the time when smoking was the norm in workplaces.

MyNameIsTerry
12-01-21, 23:28
:biggrin: Now I've got images of banks where we save our pot. I would dread my savings going up in flames, well before I rolled them up https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/smoke/t3020.gif

MyNameIsTerry
12-01-21, 23:39

I'm too young for discos other than the school ones :yesyes: Nightclubs in my day. So, Valentinos and The Place in Hanley. Kinetic in Longton for the ravers.

I bet you would remember Shelleys in Longton. Rough as though...

NoraB
13-01-21, 07:42
I'm too young for discos other than the school ones :yesyes: Nightclubs in my day. So, Valentinos and The Place in Hanley. Kinetic in Longton for the ravers.

I bet you would remember Shelleys in Longton

Ah, Valentinos - yes I went there in the 90s! I even remember it being called Valleys now!

I went to The Place for years - starting with the teen disco 14-18 on a Wednesday and Sunday. Once snogged a lad for about 20 mins non-stop - couldn't speak for a while after. It was a bit like that scene with Alice and Hugo in Vicar of Dibley where they kiss for the first time.:roflmao:

Couldn't tell you the lad's name though! :ohmy:

Shelleys... I was in there aged 15 (no ID needed in those days) and again at 16 when I asked my BF to marry me. Actually, it was more of a statement than a request. We divorced 20 years later.

Said ex husband once left me in The Place, and he'd driven all the way home (10 miles) before he turned around to come and get me. I had no money and no phone. I was having a panic when this bloke walked over to me and asked if I wanted some 'fun'. I showed him my wedding ring and he showed me his wedding ring (from out of his pocket) and says, 'I won't tell if you won't love. I was just about to freak the hell out when one of Hub's mates saw me and asked if I was ok. I explained my situation and he was just about to drive me home when my git of a husband walks back in cracking the funnies with his mate - as if he'd just been to the loo and not just left me on my own in a nightclub! :huh:

Hang on a minute...

I bet you would remember Shelleys in Longton. Rough as though

Whatcha implying there Terry? :ohmy: :roflmao:

pulisa
13-01-21, 08:14
I always think I must have lead a very sheltered life when I read Nora's posts..

Terry..You're in trouble!:D

NoraB
13-01-21, 08:34
I always think I must have lead a very sheltered life when I read Nora's posts..

I think I might write a Mills and Boon novel - like The Duchess of York. :roflmao:

Blaze sauntered over to her, looking sleek and stinking of Lynx. He discreetly breathed into his hand, sniffed, then asked Nora if she wanted some fun. Nora's heart started racing, and not in a good way. She flashed her wedding ring in Blaze's face, as if that would surely put an end to this encounter? Undeterred, Blaze reached into his pocket, took out his own band of gold, and shouted above Culture Beat's 'Mr Vain', 'I WON'T TELL IF YOU WON'T, LOVE - I'LL MEET YOU ROUND THE BACK OF THE SKIPS IN FIVE!'

What do you think P? Do you think I have what it takes to be a Mills 'N' Booner? :emot-prettywink:

Lencoboy
13-01-21, 09:29

I bet you would remember Shelleys in Longton. Rough as though...

Clubs (of all varieties) now all seem like an alien concept to me, even pre-Covid.

Nightclubs in particular could be pretty scary places at times, especially as one false move or look could sometimes result in being in the receiving end of a good kicking, or even worse, a glassing, stabbing or even a shooting, especially in venues with the most lax security, which in turn tended to attract the most pondlife.

WMCs were/are generally much tamer IMO, though I've witnessed the occasional epic punch-ups in them over the years, mostly at the very end of the night when I was helping to pack my brother's band's gear down and out of the venue and were definitely scary and most unpleasant to witness, but AFAIK with the absence of 'weapons'.

NoraB
13-01-21, 12:04
Clubs (of all varieties) now all seem like an alien concept to me, even pre-Covid.

I went for the music, Len. The before disco and post-disco was exhausting. I always had to psyche myself up to go and I needed those three days to get over having been but once I was standing on that dance floor feeling the boom boom throughout my body - I was gone, man. Solid. Gone. Music & lights (that's a song btw) to me is like catnip to a cat, and my idea of heaven is a dance floor, loud music, lights and nobody there but me. :dribble:

Nightclubs in particular could be pretty scary places at times, especially as one false move or look could sometimes result in being in the receiving end of a good kicking, or even worse, a glassing, stabbing or even a shooting, especially in venues with the most lax security, which in turn tended to attract the most pondlife.

Blokes + booze+ females + trendy nightclub/pub/whatever = fight night. :shrug: (and women can be WORSE than blokes for fighting!)

pulisa
13-01-21, 14:17
I think I might write a Mills and Boon novel - like The Duchess of York. :roflmao:

Blaze sauntered over to her, looking sleek and stinking of Lynx. He discreetly breathed into his hand, sniffed, then asked Nora if she wanted some fun. Nora's heart started racing, and not in a good way. She flashed her wedding ring in Blaze's face, as if that would surely put an end to this encounter? Undeterred, Blaze reached into his pocket, took out his own band of gold, and shouted above Culture Beat's 'Mr Vain', 'I WON'T TELL IF YOU WON'T, LOVE - I'LL MEET YOU ROUND THE BACK OF THE SKIPS IN FIVE!'

What do you think P? Do you think I have what it takes to be a Mills 'N' Booner? :emot-prettywink:

Deffo, Nora. Clear the decks for your Booker nomination! "Earthiness with that touch of realism and joie de vivre which is so essential in the post-Covid world"

Lencoboy
13-01-21, 14:39
I went for the music, Len. The before disco and post-disco was exhausting. I always had to psyche myself up to go and I needed those three days to get over having been but once I was standing on that dance floor feeling the boom boom throughout my body - I was gone, man. Solid. Gone. Music & lights (that's a song btw) to me is like catnip to a cat, and my idea of heaven is a dance floor, loud music, lights and nobody there but me. :dribble:

Blokes + booze+ females + trendy nightclub/pub/whatever = fight night. :shrug: (and women can be WORSE than blokes for fighting!)

Agree totally with your latter paragraph. And I do think that some people actually revelled in the drama of punch-ups in those places, especially in reference to Elton John's classic 70s hit about Saturday Nights!

Though nothing more than a pathetic borefest for me to witness nowadays!

MyNameIsTerry
13-01-21, 14:40

Terry..You're in trouble!:D

:roflmao: I was too young for Shelleys (it had closed just before my pubbing days started) but my brother went there many times. Longton was his main drinking venue, by my day it had lost a few main pubs so Hanley was mine. But I knew Shelleys had a rep for being a good place if you want a fight, along with other Longton pubs like The Union, but don't go The Congress or that one above the shops next to Midland bank as it was full of off duty coppers having their illegal lock ins :nicked:

The Dunrobin was rough. Still a big plot of unused land since demolition where people fly tip. Can't remember the name of my brothers favourite local which became a small business. Claim to fame; Alex Higgins once stopped by in his later years (was doing a local exhibition) with his minders and my brother got to play him.

Closer to home and you get more of the same. The Tiger Moth, Kings Arms, The Station, Saracens Head, The Waggon And Horses. All good pubs for a few pints, a drug deal and a punch up. Portland House too.

(All gone for a long time now though except The Congress. The Union became a solicitors of all places!)

MyNameIsTerry
13-01-21, 14:45

WMCs were/are generally much tamer IMO, though I've witnessed the occasional epic punch-ups in them over the years, mostly at the very end of the night when I was helping to pack my brother's band's gear down and out of the venue and were definitely scary and most unpleasant to witness, but AFAIK with the absence of 'weapons'.

Long before my anxiety days, LC, so I loved pubs & clubbing as a young man. Got into a few scrapes.

The last bus from Hanley on a Friday night was the punch up bus. Gang fights between 2 local areas until the police finally noticed and stopped it.

I stopped drinking in the early years of my anxiety so I'm well off the scene. The last Friday before Christmas in Hanley was carnage. Fight night. Tons of bouncers and coppers everywhere. Take your mates but not your GF that night. Again, the plods eventually worked out it was a yearly tradition after many years :doh:

MyNameIsTerry
13-01-21, 14:46

Classy, I can tell. Otherwise it would have been "in the skip" :yesyes::roflmao:

Lencoboy
13-01-21, 14:52
:roflmao: I was too young for Shelleys (it had closed just before my pubbing days started) but my brother went there many times. Longton was his main drinking venue, by my day it had lost a few main pubs so Hanley was mine. But I knew Shelleys had a rep for being a good place if you want a fight, along with other Longton pubs like The Union, but don't go The Congress or that one above the shops next to Midland bank as it was full of off duty coppers having their illegal lock ins :nicked:

The Dunrobin was rough. Still a big plot of unused land since demolition where people fly tip. Can't remember the name of my brothers favourite local which became a small business. Claim to fame; Alex Higgins once stopped by in his later years (was doing a local exhibition) with his minders and my brother got to play him.

Closer to home and you get more of the same. The Tiger Moth, Kings Arms, The Station, Saracens Head, The Waggon And Horses. All good pubs for a few pints, a drug deal and a punch up. Portland House too.

(All gone for a long time now though except The Congress. The Union became a solicitors of all places!)

Wow, that's an interesting account of a lot of the dodgy venues in Stoke, most of which you said no longer exist.

Just for the record, and out of interest, did you ever know of any notorious dodgy pubs/clubs in the Burton area during that same era?

MyNameIsTerry
13-01-21, 15:01
Wow, that's an interesting account of a lot of the dodgy venues in Stoke, most of which you said no longer exist.

Just for the record, and out of interest, did you ever know of any notorious dodgy pubs/clubs in the Burton area during that same era?

Not me, LC, my brother might. Too far away from me in the wrong direction as we always headed into SOT for Hanley or Newcastle. Stoke town centre was a dead hole by my time too. Tons more dodgy pubs round here that I bet my brother new as he was well into pub crawls...until his current GF civilised him :biggrin:

Closest I can think of is The Coachmakers? Hangout for The Outlaws. But I was more rave back in them days so wouldn't be in rock style pubs, more skin heads in my day.

Lencoboy
13-01-21, 15:41
Not me, LC, my brother might. Too far away from me in the wrong direction as we always headed into SOT for Hanley or Newcastle. Stoke town centre was a dead hole by my time too. Tons more dodgy pubs round here that I bet my brother new as he was well into pub crawls...until his current GF civilised him :biggrin:

Closest I can think of is The Coachmakers? Hangout for The Outlaws. But I was more rave back in them days so wouldn't be in rock style pubs, more skin heads in my day.

I referred to Burton partly in jest, because it's the other 'main' settlement in Staffs whose name is suffixed with 'on Trent'. No superiority or gloating intended. And I don't actually live in Burton, just attend a day centre there which I have decided to err on the side of caution and not attend for at least the next 3 weeks or so until the Covid situation starts to settle down, despite the fact that, unlike the first lockdown last spring, all such places still remain open.

Also, AFAIK, Burton has never really been on the receiving end of extremely bad publicity in the media, in terms of major incidents occurring there, and in parts, it looks far rougher than it actually is, but definitely far removed from Bandit Country!!

But then again, pretty much every area the country over has its problems, though of course some more than others.

Buster70
13-01-21, 22:50
Wow , Longton is a blast from the past , spent a night there in the 80s in a lovely hotel , when I say hotel it was actually a cell in the cop station , we were heading for a club possibly shelly’s to see a punk bank Uk subs , as we pulled up at the train station in high spirits and full of cheap booze we thought all the police were waiting for a football crowd , we were in cuffs before our feet touched the platform , back then the cops wore steel toe caps and were quite happy to use them when you got lippy , anyway no gig and a night in the cells and an escort back to the train station first thing and a warning step off the station and we’ll lock you back up , my only other visit back there was a week later with my dad to court with him moaning about taking a day off work to take me , he had to because I was only 16 , I was a cocky little f**ker back then and thought it was all good fun , every week we’d go somewhere and get beat up or locked up ,locals know when you’re an out of towner , these days I’d overthink the whole situation until I felt sick then not go at all , still happy days .

MyNameIsTerry
14-01-21, 03:23
Wow , Longton is a blast from the past , spent a night there in the 80s in a lovely hotel , when I say hotel it was actually a cell in the cop station , we were heading for a club possibly shelly’s to see a punk bank Uk subs , as we pulled up at the train station in high spirits and full of cheap booze we thought all the police were waiting for a football crowd , we were in cuffs before our feet touched the platform , back then the cops wore steel toe caps and were quite happy to use them when you got lippy , anyway no gig and a night in the cells and an escort back to the train station first thing and a warning step off the station and we’ll lock you back up , my only other visit back there was a week later with my dad to court with him moaning about taking a day off work to take me , he had to because I was only 16 , I was a cocky little f**ker back then and thought it was all good fun , every week we’d go somewhere and get beat up or locked up ,locals know when you’re an out of towner , these days I’d overthink the whole situation until I felt sick then not go at all , still happy days .

Not sure if Shelleys was around in the golden age of the steam...:whistles:

My brother is mid fifties so Shelleys might have been the one, Buster. If not it would be Jollees which was an older and bigger club that pulled in big bands and acts for decades. It was the one SOT was known for.

Steel cap boots and truncheons back then I bet :nicked:

You could have got back off the train at Meir. There was a station there around that time which the local MP is trying to resurrect. Used to be at the back of The Kings Arms when they had a bowling green (remember those things?). Then you could have walked back down, grabbed an oatcake on the way and passed for one of us neckenders :biggrin:

NoraB
14-01-21, 07:30
Deffo, Nora. Clear the decks for your Booker nomination! "Earthiness with that touch of realism and joie de vivre which is so essential in the post-Covid world"

*preens*

I think it will be the 'Blaze' series of Boons for my style of romance, P. Steamy. A bit sleazy. Probably some mention of pies to keep it Northern. :yesyes:

pulisa
14-01-21, 07:49
Don't forget the bile beans influence..

NoraB
14-01-21, 08:23
Agree totally with your latter paragraph. And I do think that some people actually revelled in the drama of punch-ups in those places, especially in reference to Elton John's classic 70s hit about Saturday Nights!

Though nothing more than a pathetic borefest for me to witness nowadays!

It's the caveman brain, Len. Even those people who wouldn't dream of throwing a punch in RL love to watch movies where people beat the crap out of each other!

Men have been fighting over women since prehistoric times. Durham University researchers found a mass grave of skeletons which suggested that neighbouring tribes were prepared to brutally kill their male rivals in order to keep their women.

As for the women...

Personally, I'd be mortified to have blokes fighting over me, but other women would probably be filming it on their phones or cheering one one of them on. 'PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE BABY!' :emot-dance:

I've been involved in a public fight. I didn't start it, but it came after 4 years of enduring daily bullying at school. These were the days before camera phones (thank God) but I remember the other kids cheering the other girl on - who it has to be said was not expecting 'quiet' little Nora to epically lose her shit. No doubt they expected me to cry or run away or something, but brain snappage had occurred and the 'fight part of fight, flight or freeze was very much ON. The girl was doing that girly face scratching thing whereas I punched her in the face and was trying to throw her down the stairs when the Deputy Head swooped in. It later occurred to me that I could have put that girl in hospital and earned myself expulsion, or worse. But I do know that it wasn't something I had any control over. As it was, it was that fight which put an end to the bullying. Suddenly, this girl - and the other grade A @rseholes who had been bullying me relentlessly all through high school - wanted to be my friend? Violence had earned me 'respect' but I wanted none of it because I didn't want to be friends with people like that!

I'm not advocating violence, by the way, but I am saying that we've all got a fight in us when the right buttons are pushed and it's a primeval/survival thing - no alcohol needed!

NoraB
14-01-21, 08:28
Classy, I can tell. Otherwise it would have been "in the skip" :yesyes::roflmao:

Back of the skip acts like a windbreaker Terry. (so I've heard) :wink:

NoraB
14-01-21, 08:31
Wow , Longton is a blast from the past , spent a night there in the 80s in a lovely hotel , when I say hotel it was actually a cell in the cop station

First part of the sentence confused me big time until I read the rest. :roflmao:

NoraB
14-01-21, 08:42
If not it would be Jollees which was an older and bigger club that pulled in big bands and acts for decades. It was the one SOT was known for.

My mum and dad used to go to Jollees. I've got some photographs with Mum dolled up and wearing long dresses (those ones in the 70s that looked like they were made from curtains) and my dad sporting some seriously impressive side-burns!

Petula, Cilla, Cliff, Engelbert, David Essex (bet there were a few pairs of crusty undies on the stage that night) Roy Orbison - they've all played Jollees!

Even Princess Margaret visited Jollees! Mind you, she did like to live dangerously lol :roflmao:

Lencoboy
14-01-21, 11:09
It's the caveman brain, Len. Even those people who wouldn't dream of throwing a punch in RL love to watch movies where people beat the crap out of each other!

Men have been fighting over women since prehistoric times. Durham University researchers found a mass grave of skeletons which suggested that neighbouring tribes were prepared to brutally kill their male rivals in order to keep their women.

As for the women...

Personally, I'd be mortified to have blokes fighting over me, but other women would probably be filming it on their phones or cheering one one of them on. 'PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE BABY!' :emot-dance:

I've been involved in a public fight. I didn't start it, but it came after 4 years of enduring daily bullying at school. These were the days before camera phones (thank God) but I remember the other kids cheering the other girl on - who it has to be said was not expecting 'quiet' little Nora to epically lose her shit. No doubt they expected me to cry or run away or something, but brain snappage had occurred and the 'fight part of fight, flight or freeze was very much ON. The girl was doing that girly face scratching thing whereas I punched her in the face and was trying to throw her down the stairs when the Deputy Head swooped in. It later occurred to me that I could have put that girl in hospital and earned myself expulsion, or worse. But I do know that it wasn't something I had any control over. As it was, it was that fight which put an end to the bullying. Suddenly, this girl - and the other grade A @rseholes who had been bullying me relentlessly all through high school - wanted to be my friend? Violence had earned me 'respect' but I wanted none of it because I didn't want to be friends with people like that!

I'm not advocating violence, by the way, but I am saying that we've all got a fight in us when the right buttons are pushed and it's a primeval/survival thing - no alcohol needed!

Ah, Happy Slapping, the filming of vicious assaults with phones!

That seemed to be all the rage during the mid-late 2000s and still up until about 2011 or so, but rarely seems to get mentioned these days, thank God!

As for bullying, I don't think it's ever really been taken seriously enough.
And back in those not-so-good old days of the 70s, 80s and early 90s, us auties were often told that we probably asked for it, sometimes even by our own parents. (I know I've said this before in other threads). And I think some school teachers even encouraged it and possibly even 'bribed' certain bullies into picking on certain kids with LDs, especially getting them to bully the 'auties' as a punishment for their ASD-related behaviours.

I know and I have been on the receiving end of it!

And what did your deputy head do to that girl who you gave what for over your 4 years of endless hell?

NoraB
14-01-21, 12:39
As for bullying, I don't think it's ever really been taken seriously enough.

I believe things are better now with the 'zero tolerance' attitude, but this certainly wasn't the case in the 70's and 80s when I was at school.

And what did your deputy head do to that girl who you gave what for over your 4 years of endless hell?

The girl was one of many bullies..

The DH was astonished to see me standing in front of her for fighting because I was so 'quiet'. Nothing was done aside letters sent home to our parents - and that was an interesting conversation..:whistles:

I walked in from school and dropped the letter onto the kitchen worktop in front of my mother. It never occurred to me to try and hide it like most kids would do. :shrug:

Mum: What the hell's happened here?

Me: *shrugs* dunno.

There was so much I wanted to say, but the words wouldn't come out - not to my parents or to the DH. Nobody was ever punished for bullying me. Nobody ever said sorry. Correction, one girl - 'Julie' - the girl who slapped my face on my first day at secondary school - was made to apologise to me on the school yard - in front of every girl in the school. That worked out really well (not) because that meant that she was waiting for me round every corner after that. So I just took it all for the next 4 years. I smoked, I developed an eating disorder (bulimia) and by the age of 15 - I was going into pubs and hanging about with lads much older than myself. As bad as it all sounds, things could have been a lot worse. I got off lightly compared to some autistic girls, and this is the reason why I am EPICALLY relieved not to have a daughter of my own!

Anyway, we've gone waaaaay off topic (again) so shall we get back to talking about bog roll? :yesyes:

Lencoboy
14-01-21, 13:17
I believe things are better now with the 'zero tolerance' attitude, but this certainly wasn't the case in the 70's and 80s when I was at school.

The girl was one of many bullies..

The DH was astonished to see me standing in front of her for fighting because I was so 'quiet'. Nothing was done aside letters sent home to our parents - and that was an interesting conversation..:whistles:

I walked in from school and dropped the letter onto the kitchen worktop in front of my mother. It never occurred to me to try and hide it like most kids would do. :shrug:

Mum: What the hell's happened here?

Me: *shrugs* dunno.

There was so much I wanted to say, but the words wouldn't come out - not to my parents or to the DH. Nobody was ever punished for bullying me. Nobody ever said sorry. Correction, one girl - 'Julie' - the girl who slapped my face on my first day at secondary school - was made to apologise to me on the school yard - in front of every girl in the school. That worked out really well (not) because that meant that she was waiting for me round every corner after that. So I just took it all for the next 4 years. I smoked, I developed an eating disorder (bulimia) and by the age of 15 - I was going into pubs and hanging about with lads much older than myself. As bad as it all sounds, things could have been a lot worse. I got off lightly compared to some autistic girls, and this is the reason why I am EPICALLY relieved not to have a daughter of my own!

Anyway, we've gone waaaaay off topic (again) so shall we get back to talking about bog roll? :yesyes:

TBH, I don't even think toilet roll shortages are relevant any longer, which was my original point of this thread, and like I've said umpteen times before, it was a big hyped-up problem over an issue that never really existed in the first place and a definite symptom of people getting riled up by the slightest gossip on social media, which hopefully might start to change, especially in the wake of Trump's misdeeds, though that's another story of course.

As for the 'zero tolerance' thing in schools and the like these days, yes it probably does have an effect, but as you know, that in itself can be open to abuse by power-mad staff members with agendas, and can sometimes be pursued in an arbitrary manner to suit the staff members concerned, especially with overzealous solutions to problems that again, never really existed in the first place, such as physically restraining people as a punishment for simply refusing to co-operate with staff even without the person on the receiving end being physical in the first place.

Those misguided ZT policies were also known to apply to day centres for adults with LDs some 15-20 years ago, which IMO was the typical practice of treating the symptoms, rather than the underlying causes!

Similar in effect to the ASBOs debacle of that same era.

MyNameIsTerry
15-01-21, 03:32
Back of the skip acts like a windbreaker Terry. (so I've heard) :wink:

Some even have lids :whistles:

One of the skip companies being called "DP" might get taken the wrong way :ohmy:

If I see the charity clothes & shoes bins wobbling I'll be thinking it's not just the wind anymore...

MyNameIsTerry
15-01-21, 03:37
My mum and dad used to go to Jollees. I've got some photographs with Mum dolled up and wearing long dresses (those ones in the 70s that looked like they were made from curtains) and my dad sporting some seriously impressive side-burns!

Petula, Cilla, Cliff, Engelbert, David Essex (bet there were a few pairs of crusty undies on the stage that night) Roy Orbison - they've all played Jollees!

Even Princess Margaret visited Jollees! Mind you, she did like to live dangerously lol :roflmao:

Aw, I bet mine will have some too. There were some dance clubs in Normacot too which my folks being from Longton would have been in. Might have been a Palladium there, Normacot Hotel, etc near the still standing Tam O'Shanter. The A50 calves the rest up.

NoraB
15-01-21, 07:09
TBH, I don't even think toilet roll shortages are relevant any longer,

There is no more Panda bog roll in my supermarket. This is a catastrophe for my botty. :weep:

Those misguided ZT policies were also known to apply to day centres for adults with LDs some 15-20 years ago, which IMO was the typical practice of treating the symptoms, rather than the underlying causes!

It is a lesser problem than it was years ago but it will always be a problem because we will always have vulnerable people and those who wish to abuse them..

NoraB
15-01-21, 07:35
Some even have lids :whistles:

One of the skip companies being called "DP" might get taken the wrong way :ohmy:

If I see the charity clothes & shoes bins wobbling I'll be thinking it's not just the wind anymore...

We've got a 'Pink Skips' in Manchester and the skips are actually pink. My brain can't handle that one. :scared15:

I don't do pink, so I'll be sticking with yellow - the colour of choice for most skips on account of being able to see them in the dark - which is handy when you're pissed. :yesyes:

pulisa
15-01-21, 07:40
There is no more Panda bog roll in my supermarket. This is a catastrophe for my botty. :weep:

It is a lesser problem than it was years ago but it will always be a problem because we will always have vulnerable people and those who wish to abuse them..

I've never heard of Panda bog roll. Is it a Northern delicacy?

NoraB
15-01-21, 08:00
I've never heard of Panda bog roll. Is it a Northern delicacy?

It's the bog roll of choice for the more sensitive undercarriages. No chemicals see. :yesyes:

No 'shea butter' for Nora. :weep:

pulisa
15-01-21, 08:05
I'll look out for it..Personally I opt for the Waitrose "Cashmere" offering. No side effects so far.

I was brought up on Bronco so anything else feels like luxury!

NoraB
15-01-21, 08:23
I'll look out for it..Personally I opt for the Waitrose "Cashmere" offering. No side effects so far.

I was brought up on Bronco so anything else feels like luxury!

Is that like Izal? Or 'school caretakers revenge', as I call it. It was like wiping ya @rse on tracing paper! :scared15:

I shop with Waitrose when it's payday. That is, I did when it partnered Ocado. (haven't used Ocado in months - no slots) but it's Aldi by the end of the month when we've got a touch of the Bob Cratchit's. :unsure:

pulisa
15-01-21, 08:42
Yes Bronco was 'arsh..especially in our outdoor bog!:D

I have a local Waitrose so use it all the time. It's not that expensive at all and I just buy from their "Essentials" range anyway. They've been really thorough with all the Covid precautions since March.

NoraB
15-01-21, 08:54
Yes Bronco was 'arsh..especially in our outdoor bog!:D

Ah, outdoor bogs...

Nothing quite beats giving the loo roll the once over for creepy crawlies and hovering one's @rse cheeks just above a freezing cold toilet seat. :scared15:

Pamplemousse
15-01-21, 10:51
Ah, outdoor bogs...

Nothing quite beats giving the loo roll the once over for creepy crawlies and hovering one's @rse cheeks just above a freezing cold toilet seat. :scared15:

You used to be able to buy expanded polystyrene seat covers for outside toilet seats. I remember my great-aunt having them.

NoraB
15-01-21, 10:59
You used to be able to buy expanded polystyrene seat covers for outside toilet seats. I remember my great-aunt having them.

No such luxury in my nan's outdoor karzi PM.

Other outside lav memories...

Damp loo roll on the flaps. Hence I spent a lot of time 'drip drying'. :yesyes:

Incidentally, cool damp loo roll would come in nicely now with my menopausal flap woes...:huh:

Pamplemousse
15-01-21, 13:54
Not what she had, but given the location of the manufacturer I'm not surprised.

https://www.pikkuvihrea.fi/en/styrofoam-seats/118-styrofoam-seat-for-outhouse.html

Lencoboy
15-01-21, 16:15
Is that like Izal? Or 'school caretakers revenge', as I call it. It was like wiping ya @rse on tracing paper! :scared15:

I shop with Waitrose when it's payday. That is, I did when it partnered Ocado. (haven't used Ocado in months - no slots) but it's Aldi by the end of the month when we've got a touch of the Bob Cratchit's. :unsure:

Good god, I've heard some horror stories about Izal 'tracing paper' in their school toilets!

Years ago many school toilet blocks were often outside in separate 'lean-to' buildings with high level cisterns and black 'open-front' toilet seats, plus inhabited by spiders and many other (non-human) 'nasties'!

That would be the stuff of nightmares for many of today's pupils, they probably don't know how fortunate they really are!

Lencoboy
15-01-21, 16:34

The ZT policies in day centres and the like I was referring to from the early-mid 2000s I personally perceived to be in response to the moral panic over the epidemic of NHS workers being on the receiving end of violence and aggression and soon after nearly everyone seemed to be jumping on the same bandwagon, especially in the public sector, but sometimes also in the private/independent sector as well.

I know the authorities probably meant well at the time, but unfortunately such policies have failed to lessen the problems as like I said upthread, they're mostly treating the symptoms rather than the underlying causes, so the cycle therefore keeps endlessly repeating itself.

Pamplemousse
15-01-21, 17:28
Good god, I've heard some horror stories about Izal 'tracing paper' in their school toilets!

Years ago many school toilet blocks were often outside in separate 'lean-to' buildings with high level cisterns and black 'open-front' toilet seats, plus inhabited by spiders and many other (non-human) 'nasties'!

That would be the stuff of nightmares for many of today's pupils, they probably don't know how fortunate they really are!

My infant and junior schools were like that - the boy's toilet block was actually in a different playground a few yards from the school; boys' and girls' playgrounds were separate. My last two years of junior school were in a brand new building replacing the two older ones.

Lencoboy
15-01-21, 17:44
My infant and junior schools were like that - the boy's toilet block was actually in a different playground a few yards from the school; boys' and girls' playgrounds were separate. My last two years of junior school were in a brand new building replacing the two older ones.

Something else that seems unthinkable nowadays, segregated male and female school playgrounds, never mind toilets!!

I do often wonder whether the staff toilets for the teachers, etc were also outside and in similar conditions back in the day, or whether some schools may have had 'shared' outside toilet facilities between pupils and staff?

Or if the staff/teachers had their own indoor facilities and the pupils' were outside, that sounds pretty inhumane by today's standards!

Pamplemousse
15-01-21, 18:33
Something else that seems unthinkable nowadays, segregated male and female school playgrounds, never mind toilets!!

I do often wonder whether the staff toilets for the teachers, etc were also outside and in similar conditions back in the day, or whether some schools may have had 'shared' outside toilet facilities between pupils and staff?

Or if the staff/teachers had their own indoor facilities and the pupils' were outside, that sounds pretty inhumane by today's standards!
They were both Victorian schools (the junior with the separate playgrounds being the older of the two); I don't think there were separate bogs for the teachers, but this is 50 years ago for me!

pulisa
15-01-21, 20:40
My father's parents in Manc had an outside "privy". When my Mum and Dad were "courting" my Dad was so embarrassed having to explain this "arrangement" to my southerner Mum..She was unfazed and they DID get married..despite the (in)convenience of outdoor "ablutions" at the future in-laws!:D

Lencoboy
15-01-21, 21:29
My father's parents in Manc had an outside "privy". When my Mum and Dad were "courting" my Dad was so embarrassed having to explain this "arrangement" to my southerner Mum..She was unfazed and they DID get married..despite the (in)convenience of outdoor "ablutions" at the future in-laws!:D

Surely there's still quite a few 'older' houses with fully intact and functional outside toilets, but almost always with at least one indoor toilet (and bathroom) in the same property.

In some ways I'm quite happy that many original outside toilets at those older properties have been preserved, even if the actual toilet components (pan/seat/cistern) themselves aren't the originals, plus the addition of electric lighting and/or hand-wash basins.

And not forgetting the lawnmower hanging on the back of the toilet door as well if it might also double up as a shed!

pulisa
15-01-21, 21:34
I've got a decrepit outside toilet but haven't opened the door for about 25 years..

I have a wonderful avocado bathroom indoors though..Genuine 70s!:D

Lencoboy
15-01-21, 22:20
I've got a decrepit outside toilet but haven't opened the door for about 25 years..

And does it have those Texture Vein tiles (often nicknamed 'chicken tiles') from the 'Cristal' brand?

Horrible, horrible things (those tiles)!

I used to see all kinds of weird things in them, such as a lamp post in the top left-hand corner, a three-legged headless man with his arms stretched right out in the top-centre, a running animal in the top right-hand corner, a sitting dog in the bottom left-hand corner, all of which used to scare me as a little kid, especially when I was left alone in the bath while she went off doing her own things round the house, which I know sounds extremely irresponsible by today's parenting standards, but thankfully I never came to any physical harm (though that's all for another story).

The pattern was available in a range of colours (on a white background), pink, yellow, aqua, blue, and most commonly, brown.

Yuk!!

Pamplemousse
15-01-21, 23:25
Surely there's still quite a few 'older' houses with fully intact and functional outside toilets, but almost always with at least one indoor toilet (and bathroom) in the same property.

In some ways I'm quite happy that many original outside toilets at those older properties have been preserved, even if the actual toilet components (pan/seat/cistern) themselves aren't the originals, plus the addition of electric lighting and/or hand-wash basins.

And not forgetting the lawnmower hanging on the back of the toilet door as well if it might also double up as a shed!

Until she died in 1998, an outside loo was the sole toilet in my great-aunt's house. It did have an electric light though - but you washed your hands in the kitchen sink - no other facility. And in cold water too, unless you had turned on the little over-the-sink heater for hot water.

MyNameIsTerry
16-01-21, 01:59

At primary, secondary and 6th form colleges I went to the teachers had their own toilets. Many years later the primary still did as my mum worked their part time and had to clean them. She said they were often worse than the kids!

MyNameIsTerry
16-01-21, 02:01

Somewhere to get some privacy when courting. A bit cold perhaps but it was often that or the fields :roflmao:

NoraB
16-01-21, 06:47
Not what she had, but given the location of the manufacturer I'm not surprised.

https://www.pikkuvihrea.fi/en/styrofoam-seats/118-styrofoam-seat-for-outhouse.html

Cold bums in Finland for sure. :yesyes:

NoraB
16-01-21, 06:59

The reason I call it 'caretakers revenge' is that I imagine the delight of them opening up a new roll of Izal just after having to chip off hard chewing gum from off a desk or mopping up flooded toilet floors due to all the sinks being blocked with loo paper. :ohmy:

NoraB
16-01-21, 07:05

My other half calls me a 'Southern Wuss' due to me being born in Stoke, but I'm part Yorkshire on my mother's side. That said, I'm nesh and own a thermal vest. :roflmao:

NoraB
16-01-21, 07:21

I had one of those. Hideous! :emot-puke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWoWHzq21tA :roflmao:

pulisa
16-01-21, 07:49
"Had"? I've still got one!:D What's wrong with it? At least the bath is a decent size and not one where you have no room to spread out!

My house still has a lot of "original features"..Changing anything was a nightmare when my children were younger. It's become a habit now. Also I can't afford it now! I do find that older stuff lasts a lot longer than newer replacements.

pulisa
16-01-21, 07:52
And does it have those Texture Vein tiles (often nicknamed 'chicken tiles') from the 'Cristal' brand?

Horrible, horrible things (those tiles)!

I used to see all kinds of weird things in them, such as a lamp post in the top left-hand corner, a three-legged headless man with his arms stretched right out in the top-centre, a running animal in the top right-hand corner, a sitting dog in the bottom left-hand corner, all of which used to scare me as a little kid, especially when I was left alone in the bath while she went off doing her own things round the house, which I know sounds extremely irresponsible by today's parenting standards, but thankfully I never came to any physical harm (though that's all for another story).

The pattern was available in a range of colours (on a white background), pink, yellow, aqua, blue, and most commonly, brown.

Yuk!!

Never 'eard of 'em, Lenco but will google said atrocities!:)

NoraB
16-01-21, 07:54
"Had"? I've still got one!:D What's wrong with it? At least the bath is a decent size and not one where you have no room to spread out!

My house still has a lot of "original features"..Changing anything was a nightmare when my children were younger. It's become a habit now. Also I can't afford it now! I do find that older stuff lasts a lot longer than newer replacements.

Pardon the insinuation that ya bathroom is hideous, P. No offence intended an all that. :foot:

It's a personal dislike with me and I've spent too many hours slumped over an avocado green toilet bowl for me to ever see that 'shade' of green without having the most awful flushbacks, sorry, flashbacks..:scared15:

pulisa
16-01-21, 08:08
Don't worry, Nora..No offence taken. I know most people would have ripped it out decades ago!

My friend has a dark blue bathroom suite which was previously owned by Ringo Starr! It has gold plated taps..but no Beetles in residence!:D

NoraB
16-01-21, 08:19
My friend has a dark blue bathroom suite which was previously owned by Ringo Starr! It has gold plated taps..but no Beetles in residence!:D

I would SO want to have that bath! Maybe he farted in it? Of course he did. Who doesn't fart in the bath! :unsure:

Did she/he check it over for a Ringo Starr pube? I bet that would fetch something on Ebay. :yesyes:

Maybe he played drums with two bottles of Matey? There's a thought...:shades:

pulisa
16-01-21, 08:36
I'm sure she scoured it for DNA prior to using it!

Lencoboy
16-01-21, 09:01
I would SO want to have that bath! Maybe he farted in it? Of course he did. Who doesn't fart in the bath! :unsure:

Did she/he check it over for a Ringo Starr pube? I bet that would fetch something on Ebay. :yesyes:

Maybe he played drums with two bottles of Matey? There's a thought...:shades:

Really going off kilter now, but talking of farting, that reminds me, back in the late 70s-early 80s my dad's car was a 1974 M-reg Austin 1800, and one of my dad's workmates whom he often used to give lifts always used to drop his bat in it and stank it out, and every other word my dad used to say whilst driving along with him in it was 'Phwoarrrrr'!

That guy (who I used to call Uncle John) had a habit of letting out bad loud and pongy farts period, and not just when travelling in vehicles. It was his biggest talent!

So toilet roll definitely necessary for him, especially if he does wet ones!
(lol)!!

NoraB
16-01-21, 10:45
Really going off kilter now, but talking of farting, that reminds me, back in the late 70s-early 80s my dad's car was a 1974 M-reg Austin 1800, and one of my dad's workmates whom he often used to give lifts always used to drop his bat in it and stank it out, and every other word my dad used to say whilst driving along with him in it was 'Phwoarrrrr'!

That guy (who I used to call Uncle John) had a habit of letting out bad loud and pongy farts period, and not just when travelling in vehicles. It was his biggest talent!

So toilet roll definitely necessary for him, especially if he does wet ones!
(lol)!!

My mother, who considered herself 'posh' used to let some rippers go first thing in the morning. Blimey, I could hear them from upstairs! :ohmy: Two pots of tea and she was parping for Britain..

As Jim Royle would say, 'Posh my @rse!' :roflmao:

NoraB
16-01-21, 10:45
I'm sure she scoured it for DNA prior to using it!

I would have done too. :yesyes:

Lencoboy
16-01-21, 17:46
My mother, who considered herself 'posh' used to let some rippers go first thing in the morning. Blimey, I could hear them from upstairs! :ohmy: Two pots of tea and she was parping for Britain..

As Jim Royle would say, 'Posh my @rse!' :roflmao:

Was that the Scouse geezer formerly known as Bobby Grant?

fishman65
16-01-21, 17:58
I haven't had a bath is years :D

NoraB
17-01-21, 09:38
Was that the Scouse geezer formerly known as Bobby Grant?

That's him. :yesyes:

NoraB
17-01-21, 09:41
I haven't had a bath is years :D

I should probably knock baths on the head now my collagen's buggered off. 5 minutes and my skin is totally pruned. :weep:

Lencoboy
12-03-21, 17:51
Well it seems strange now to think that the great toilet roll stampedes were going on exactly a year ago and had then petered out by early April, once people had finally come to their senses, and realised that they had fallen for all the needless hype surrounding it.

All seems like absolutely ages ago now.

There doesn't seem to be any real shortages of anything or panic-buying right now, one year on, well nothing of any major significance, at least.

pulisa
12-03-21, 17:56
Give it time and social media...

Lencoboy
12-03-21, 19:25
Give it time and social media...

Yes, you're right, they'll always be some kind of social media-fuelled craze/mania/panic!!

At the moment, social media is going into meltdown over the tragic murder of Sarah Everard, and there are allegedly crazy campaigns to impose curfews on all men walking the streets after 6pm, which I think is totally unfair as the vast majority of us men aren't murderers, rapists or paedos.

All very reminiscent of the mass hysteria over delinquent teenagers back in the mid-late 2000s, especially those wearing hoodies and the banning of them from the Bluewater Centre in Kent, plus the installation of those 'Mosquito' high-pitched sound-emitting devices outside shops, etc, which hardly ever seems to get mentioned nowadays.

Pamplemousse
13-03-21, 11:01
At the moment, social media is going into meltdown over the tragic murder of Sarah Everard, and there are allegedly crazy campaigns to impose curfews on all men walking the streets after 6pm, which I think is totally unfair as the vast majority of us men aren't murderers, rapists or paedos.
That was a flippant remark by a Green peer. Easily misunderstood by Scared Old White Men, as I have seen on a railway preservation forum where many SOWM congregate.

MyNameIsTerry
13-03-21, 12:11
That was a flippant remark by a Green peer. Easily misunderstood by Scared Old White Men, as I have seen on a railway preservation forum where many SOWM congregate.

It's doing the rounds in clipped form per the media. I didn't see the speech but am aware of Golda Meir saying it many years before. Not sure if that was the reference?

Lots of women and younger men reacting to it too.

Lencoboy
13-03-21, 16:43
It's doing the rounds in clipped form per the media. I didn't see the speech but am aware of Golda Meir saying it many years before. Not sure if that was the reference?

Lots of women and younger men reacting to it too.

The latest (recurring) moral panic.