PDA

View Full Version : Does Prozac really work?

Tucker
03-11-07, 20:29
Hello all,

I have been taking prozac for only 6 days, getting to the stage where i'm wondering whether it's better to try and get through this without ad's before i'm too far down the road taking them.

I was on citalopram 3 years ago but wasn't the best at taking them and also found i experienced some very strange feelings on them.

Since i've started taking prozac i feel worse. More nervous,more silly thoughts(things i havent thought of for 10years+),more worrying and basically feeling rubbish.

Don't really know what to do for the best.

DOES PROZAC REALLY WORK?.........:shrug:

Tucker.

nomorepanic
03-11-07, 20:50
Tucker

I guess it depends what you want it to do and fix?

joannap
03-11-07, 21:01
hi tucker

most ssri's inc strange thoughts/anxiety before they begin to work. i have been having similar symptoms for 2 weeks on citalopram and like you - by week 1 i was thinking should i give them up. my advice would be to stick with them and stay on them - give them a chance to work. it can take between 2-6 wks apparently to begin to feel the benefits. jo x

seeker
03-11-07, 23:11
Yes, it does work, but it took a full six weeks for me to feel the benefits. Even then, it was a slow process- I just found i was more able to cope with life and get on with things. In very rare occasions, it can make things worse, so if you are thinking about self harm/suicide more often than you were before, I would suggest a swift visit to the doctors, as it may be more appropriate for you to try a different AD.

Tucker
04-11-07, 14:38
Thanks for you opinions.

Think i will stick with the prozac and hope it works.
It was just reading some peoples response to taking this, just wasn't sure if it was worth it.
My doctor put me on this on Monday as i've been feeling down,miserable and worrying constantly for a while now.
I was just hoping it would pick me up a bit so i could try and get out of this rut.

Tucker.

CarmR
05-11-07, 12:49
Hi Tucker

I think you should stick with taking them also, i took them two years ago and they took at least six weeks to work and when they do they are very good i think, they saved me.

As people have already said, and as with all meds they can make you feel worse at first before they begin to work...so hang in there..i took them for over a year, and came of them but i think i should have stayed on them now..

Best Wishes
Carmel

Ma Larkin
05-11-07, 16:09
I agree with what people are saying. I was on Prozac for ages, and it took exactly 6 weeks before I saw the benefit. I came off them 2 months ago, only because one of the side effects I had was waking up all the time. I expected them to help me sleep, but they made my sleep worse, and with working full-time and being a single mum of 3, decided to make a change and I'm now on Clomipramine, which is helping my sleep. I couldn't fault the Prozac apart from that one thing.

Les

Tucker
05-11-07, 19:24
Thanks for the positive replies.

Just wanted to know from people who had took prozac and similar ad's whether they really make a difference.
Looks like they do...... eventually and will help, so i will persevre with them.

Actually have been feeling a wee bit better today.....maybe this is the start of some progress.......fingers crossed.

Hope you are all doing well.

Tucker.

Tarsh
06-11-07, 04:14
Hi there

Prozac definately did work for me, I have been on it six years now, I remember I started to notice some positive changes after three weeks.....

Although now after a string of happenings in my life I am not coping but it was a god send for six years.

:0)

Tarsh

strawberrie
06-11-07, 10:26
hi Tucker, just to add to the other replies, i take prozac and it works brilliantly for me, but i did feel worse before feeling better which took a good few weeks. I have taken it for a few years now and i feel like it keeps things in perspective for me.

mag

Granty
04-03-08, 11:55
Hi Tucker,

Fluoxetine defo makes me feel worse before it makes me feel better.

I also read an article written by a Psychiatrist regarding obsessive thinking that accompanies anxiety/depression in that she had noticed in her experience that for many people a worsening of symptoms in the beginning indicated a good eventual response to the treatment.

I know what it's like to go through the down days before they pick you up and for me it can be tough but hopefully thy'll do the biz for you and you'll start to feel the benefit.

Best of luck matey,

Granty

Granty
04-03-08, 11:57
P.S.

I should have added in answer to you original question -

Do they work?

For me 5 years ago they saved my sanity. Honestly, I don't like to be melodramatic and wouldn't say they necessarily saved my life but I was going through a living hell and they gave me my normality back.

Without a word of a lie, that's how good they were for me.

Regards,

Granty