PDA

View Full Version : OMG I have nits!

happyone
04-11-07, 17:40
I have given my hair another bone comb and I have found them. I don't know what to do as I have no one to treat me. I am terrified. I can't explain how bad this is making me feel. I have the stuff to treat the live ones but there is simply no one I trust enough to check all the eggs are gone. I can't possibly treat myself successfully.
I am going to chop all my hair off as I can't bear the thought of them being in there.I really really can't.
Happyone
xx

Coni
04-11-07, 18:29
Happyone dont panic.....do you have a friend or family member who could comb your hair for you....I was the same I didnt trust my hubby to do it for me...I treated myself with the lotion.... remember 12 hours and then bone combed the best I could every day...it did take me ages in the shower every morning mind you.

You will get rid of them and possibly you only have a couple if you've caught them early.

My friend, her hubby and two kids all had them a couple of years ago....and her hubby has thick black curly hair.

Please dont chop your hair off...I understand totally but you will get rid of them.

luv Coni XX

Piglet
04-11-07, 18:35
Don't you dare do anything to your hair - hammer to a walnut springs to mind here!!!

Now's the time to ask your Mum to help ok - and even if she can't then it can be done on your own mate. It's the same principle as doin your roots - you just have to section off each bit and comb through those areas ok.

Oh and did think the using hair straighteners tip on your other thread was a brilliant one - god my GHD's would blast them to kingdom come.

Also its all a lot easier if you comb through wet hair with lots of conditioner on it, as opposed to dry hair.

If I lived nearer I do it for you!!!

Love Piglet :flowers:

honeybee3939
04-11-07, 18:36
Hi Happy

I agree with coni and Piglet hun, just keep combing in the shower with lots and lots of conditioner and they will soon be gone. :hugs: :hugs:

sending you hugs my friend:hugs: :hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxxxx

stargazer
04-11-07, 18:39
hey happy one come on mate don't chop off your hair, I have a little one at school and they got the "NIT" Letter on Friday and the poor little thing has had comb after comb after comb, can't find any and we get through the "fear" of them by saying we are tickling them out so while you comb your hair tell them you will tickle them out iof they don't come out, might take edge of fear off.:blush:

Try to get someone to look for you honey, I don't know your situation here so sorry if I have spoken out of turn.

Good luck

:hugs:

Dying_Swan
04-11-07, 18:42
A bottle of Lyclear and a nit comb will do it....honest!

I had nits when I was 15 and was far too embarrassed to get anyone to help me. Lots of careful combing will get them out.

Please don't cut your hair off!!!

Vikki
04-11-07, 19:30
Please don't cut your hair.

Honestly, a bottle of treatment and a good combing will see them off.
If in doubt, stick a colour on! That does finish them off.

I know you must be freaking out about this, but you said you have the Nitty Gritty comb and that is the best one there is to get them out.
Concentrate on the warmest areas i.e behind your ears and on the crown.

Chances are you have caught them so early they may not have laid any eggs.

It will be ok - honest.
Just dont cut your hair

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Take care
Vikki
x

happyone
04-11-07, 19:34
I have calmed a bit. :blush: All of this came at a day that has been very anx for me anyway. Two steps forward one step back and all that.
I won't cut my hair off. I have treated and bone combed, bone combed and bone combed again. I got my hubby to do a bit but to be honest, I am just as well doing it myself.
I have never done my roots piglet, I always end up redoing my whole head:blush:

You didn't speak out of turn Stargazer. I have a hubby but I dont trust him to do it thouroughly and my mums eyesight is not so good. However, mum is coming down tomorrow. She wants me to check her as she is itchy!

Thank you for advice. I think I may have overeacted a bit, but as I say, it is at the end of a day that my anx has been bad anyway.

happyone
xx

happyone
05-11-07, 12:51
Would you believe my poor mother now has them too!
I feel like I am fighting a losing battle. So now I have my poor mother to treat too.
I have given her the treatment and a bone combing, but she has so much dandruff that it looks like she has loads of eggs! It all comes down to trus, I don't trust her to treat herself properly so I think she will re infect my kids.
Are the eggs supposed to come off with the bone comb? I am having major difficulty in finding any eggs at all.
I keep on and keep on combing my hair, I can't help it. The whole affair is really making me feel quite ill. I know I said I wouldn't but I so want to take all my hair off. I have even looked up hair shavers on the internet.
Your analogy Piglet of a hammer to a walnut sounds ok to me just now cos at least a hammer would crack it!
happyone
xx

Piglet
05-11-07, 13:49
Hun I know it's not a barrel of laughs but it's more of an inconvenience really rather than anything serious.

I wouldn't keep looking for eggs so much as making sure you get rid of any lice themselves. I just see the treatment as combing through the hair every night for a week then every other night for the next week, then every 3rd night the following week - the more you get any live ones gone then they can't lay any more eggs and if you are combing this regularly as soon as any eggs left hatch your combing them out and they'll be gone.

It's just a flippin laborious bother is what it is - in olden days course they didn't even bother and everyone was riddled with them all the time.

Love Piglet :flowers:

Quirky
05-11-07, 14:07
I have no experience in this but what Piglet says makes alot of sense.

Don't cut your hair off mate :ohmy: I do get how you feel as I know I would be just the same but this will pass and you will be glad you kept your hair, especially after the effort you have made to grow it a bit longer.

Lisa x

honeybee3939
05-11-07, 14:07
Hi Happy

It is a nuisance isnt it, i do feel for you, but you are doing everything right:hugs: , im sure they will soon be gone.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/sister24320046/ththAbighug.gif

Love
Andrea
xxxxxx

Ma Larkin
05-11-07, 15:05
My daughter has nits on and off all the time. It really bugs me that I spend all this money treating her, yet all the waifs and strays on the street walk around itching and scratching and she catches them again. The other week I got all the kids off the street in my house and did them all. A few days later they were crawling again. I now use Full Marks Lotion on my daughter (you don't need that much as it is quite greasy but it does the trick). You only need to leave it on for 10 minutes and it comes with a comb which you can actually hear catching the eggs. I also have a Tea Tree repellant spray so when she goes in school I put her hair in a bobble and spray around the pony tail, which is supposed to really help.

She has given them to me loads of times, and her brother, but when she gives them to him I just give him a number 2 with the clippers!!!

No need to talk of cutting your hair off, you will get rid of them, they are just a pain and embarrassment more than anything. I think we all hate the thought of something crawling about on our heads, but treated properly the eggs and lice will die.

Good luck.

Les

jo61
05-11-07, 15:43
My daughter has them regularly and the older she gets the more embarassed she is. Now in year 8, she's just had another dose as they were going around the school. Last year when she was going on a school trip, Itook her to the hairdresser 2 days before who broke the bad news. We treated her 3 times that weekend, more than recommended but hey it cleared it up. Got fed up with the herbal stuff so now I ask the pharmacy for the one with as many chemicals as possible (full marks)! It does go away eventually so keep the faith.

happyone
05-11-07, 15:53
Thanks everyone,
I am trying to keep a sense of proportion about this. It just isn't easy for me. My little un screams her head off every time I bring out the bone comb. I am so paranoid about leaving anything in there.
It does bug me too when others parents don't take it seriously.
I will try try try to keep a level head.
Happyone
xx

Piglet
05-11-07, 18:32
Yes I totally agree with that hun about other parents - if I spend every bloody night going through 3 piglets with very long hair and one of them curly for 3 weeks, then I am gonna get a little more than narked if they pick it up again cos someone else didnt bother.:mad:

You are combing through on wet hair with tons of conditioner on it aren't you, so it doesn't pull or hurt as much?????? I used to literally buy the cheapest conditioner ever and pour it over each strand.

Hey I tell what as a result our hair wasn't half soft!!!

Piglet :flowers:

Dying_Swan
05-11-07, 18:41
Just keep combing!

You can get rid of them altogether with just a comb, but I'd treat them with a blast of chemicals too.

They will go!

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

eeyorelover
05-11-07, 18:55
Ok well I have some experience with this cuz I have 4 feet of hair!!!
My daughter has almost the same amount and my son isn't able to have the medicine cuz of his seizure disorder!!!
Here's what worked for us...
Olive oil!!!!
The health department suggested it.
You put it on -
put a shower cap on and leave it overnite.
Then comb while it's still in there!
The oil breaks the bond that the nit has on the hair!!

It's a pain to get out BUT if you can find dawn dish soap that'll get it out in a few washings :)

It was rampant in the schools here and we got a note home almost every week where someone had turned up with it in either Meg's class or Nick's class!!!!!

WHAT A PAIN!!
But it's something that almost every family will have to deal with eventually!!
xxx
Sandy

happyone
05-11-07, 19:34
I know you all speak sense guys and I am trying hard to be rational. I think I am in a heightened state of anx just now anyway.

I have treated us all with the full marks lotion and any I have found since then are definately dead. It is just the thought of the eggs hatching....euch! To be honest though, I am not finding eggs at all. I have looked in all the hot spots and bone combed thoroughly but no eggs to be seen.

Yes Piglet, I am using loads of conditioner but my little un creates if I so much as brush her hair anyway! She has curly hair too. Real tight curls.

I always expected to have to deal with it eventually (I have been lucky to get my big un to 9 before I did) but I didn't think I would get them! It is my own that are horrifying me and my mums as I am not in control of them! Mine I am.....sort of, but because I can't see the back of my head it freaks me.
Realistically, there should be no live lice on my hair just now after yesterdays treatment, but I am still clawing (I reckon I will be for several months, I will probably grow my hair to my waist:blush: )

Happyone
xx

Southern_Belle
05-11-07, 20:48
HappyOne,

My son got them ages ago in grade school. Over here in the States they kick you out of school and you must prove treatment before they let them back in.:ohmy: I treated him twice with products and the comb and finally put vasoline on his head, (I just smothered the little buggers :lisa: ). I also (did this twice too) took every bed linen and bedspread or duvet and every pillow down to the local laundrymat and put them all in dryers as the lice cannot live in the heat. I could not do them all at once at home. I even included the pillows that went on the couchs. I also purchased something that you put on the carpet to kill them and hoovered that up too. This and only this finally removed them from my home. The eggs can get all over the house not just on your head, thus when your head is cleared up they get on you when you lay back in bed.:lac: You may already be doing this, I just didn't know until a friend told me to do this extra stuff too. :shrug:

Hope this helps.

Love,

Laura

p.s.

Must add I had to wash my son's hair roughly about 40 times before vasoline disappeared, lol.

Quirky
05-11-07, 23:08

Lisa x

kilvosa
06-11-07, 17:00
Hi Happyone
I can sympathise with you my daughter is now 10 has lovely long hair and since she was 5 shes had nits on and off and so do i , i hate them tried all the chemical stuff , there is a new product on the market which for me is really good9omg im itching now ) called hedrin not as strong as some others but not so aggressive on the hair either another thing to use is the olive oil if my daughters on hoilday i will put it on her hair(nits hate it) and leave in for a few days combing it with the nit comb daily. Sometimes i get it so bad end up with spots on my neck which the doctor says im alergic to nit pooh(sure he was taking the mickey though) It does get annoying when you do your own children and other parents dont bring back the nit nurse i say !! My son gets them too but hubby just shaves his hair have threatened to do daughters too ( NO i havent done it) Also when daughetr goes to school i braid her hair sometimes it helps the trouble is the nits gets used to all these chemicals then they dont work. When i was at school (im 50 now) i never had them but since i worked with children thats when i got them . They are a pest and i feel embarrassed when the kids are got them but what can you do? Nit nurses arent allowed in schools anymore id pay for someone to do that job . I long for the day when we dont egt them anymore.
Hope you sort yours out
Take care
Annexx