PDA

View Full Version : Panic Update

gaza448
05-11-03, 19:55
hello all I thought I'd just write a update on how i'm doing if any of you remember the post i wrote a few weeks ago i was the pro-boxer who suffered panic attacks while sparring in preparation for my fights and had been for a long while anyway after the advice i got on this site i bought 3 things a book on the subconcious mind, a hypnotic tape on panic attacks and a hypnotic tape on positive thinking and am pleased too say i have been sparring three or four times a week for the past two weeks and have not suffered an attack the first two times sparring i was a bit nervous and it took great control of my thoughts(being positive) but I managed it and the past four or five hard sparring sessions i have been concentrating on improving my boxing rather than having a panic attack and got my confidence back so thank you all for the advice i will continue to do my best (that last fight i had was a blessing in disguise it made me address the problem instead of ignoring it)
Gary

diana
05-11-03, 20:11
Hey Gary,

Kudos!!! to you keep up the great work. I am glad to hear you are doing better. I wonder, which book and tapes did you pick up, I would like to try them myself. Did you read and listen to tapes during the day or at night when going to bed? Take care, keep us posted of your good progression.

Take care

Diana :D

Meg
05-11-03, 20:14
Hi Gary,

What fabulous news for everyone here. It's great to hear success stories and how relieved you must feel that you did it !!! Many congratulations.

I had been wondering how you were doing and am really pleased you stopped by to say 'Hello'

How is your wife doing these days ?

Keep up the good work.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

benoo5
05-11-03, 21:25
hya gary,
well done matey,weve all been rooting for you.
keep up the good work ,best wishes...bryan.

nomorepanic
05-11-03, 22:09
Hi Gary

Well done - so nice that you took the time to come back and update us - we love to hear success stories.

Please pop back occasionally and let us know how it is going.

Keep on top of it and you will be fine :-)

Nicola

gaza448
06-11-03, 09:14
Again thankyou all for your support. Diana the book I got was the power of the subconcious mind by joseph murphy i bought it from amazon.co.uk for £10. The tapes i got where the panic prevention program uncommon-knowledge.co.uk very helpful and learn how to think positively which i bought from a bookshop called Ottakers but these are very common there website is hypnosisaudio.com. I listened to the panic attack tape while going to sleep and the positive thinking tape (which I think helped me the most) before going training.
Meg my wife is doing brilliantly and has been for four years even having and coping with our second child this year without any relapses couldn't be more proud of her.

diana
06-11-03, 13:24
Hiya Gary!

Thanks a bunch for the information about the book and tapes. I am definitely getting them, hope they do as well for me. Again congratulations, I wish you all the best, keep up the good work. I am glad to hear your wife is doing as well.

Cheers,

Diana :)

gaza448
07-11-03, 20:39
I thought I'd just add one quote for anyone thats interested which helped me I repeated it when feeling panicky

" i WILL succeed because i am trying and thats what matters "

Gary

Meg
07-11-03, 20:49
So that became your mantra....

It's a good one - keeping realistic as well as positive.

I am so pleased you're so much better, Gary. Well done for putting in all that effort. I know it's not easy.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
09-11-03, 00:06
Gary,

Good quote, thanks for sharing. I did get my hands on the book you mentioned from Amazon.com. However I am having a hard time locating the tapes, the "positive thinking" and the "panic attack" tapes. What are the titles or names of them? Please let me know so I can order them, in hopes that they work as well for me.

Cheers!!!

twister
09-11-03, 00:08
Hi Diana

www.hypnosisaudio.com for positive thinking tape. i also have their panic and fear tape which is good,

Emily

nomorepanic
09-11-03, 01:06
I have the deep sleep one

Will let u know how it goes

Nicola

diana
09-11-03, 05:14
Hiya Emily!

Thanks for the information. Is that tape the "Learn How To Think Positively" tape? What about the panic and fear tape, I do not see that listed as one of the tapes? What is the name of the panic and fear tape? I looked at the list on the left of the website and did not see anything particularly for fear and panic. Let me know what it is listed under. Thanks again!

Cheers!!! :D

Diana xxx

diana
09-11-03, 05:17
Hey Nicola,

Let us know how the deep sleep tape goes for ya. I may try that too if it goes good for you. Keep us posted.

Cheers!!!

uryjm
09-11-03, 09:15
Positive thinking and constructive self-talk. Maybe commitment to both of these really is the way out.

Jim

Jim

Meg
09-11-03, 09:32
Hi Jim

I am sure the answer is multi faceted.

The two you mention are extremely vital ones but will not get you there if your body and mind are running on empty ...or if the stressors are still present and nothing is being done to address them or you still actually want to hold onto certain elements.

In my experience if I had to pick one word crucial to describe a full healing from panic it would be 'perserverence'... Many times I've now seen people recover to just where life is bearable again and then they drop all their healing processes, go back to their old habits and then wonder why it happens again.

Meg

nomorepanic
09-11-03, 15:39
Diana

I have listened to the tape for the last 3 nights and I haven't actually got to the end before I fall asleep so it must be working. I am going to listen to it during the day to see what he is actually saying!! but it seems to be helping me so far.

Will update again tomorrow as my worst night's sleep is always a Sunday night cos I know I am back at work the next day so it will be a good test tonight.

Watch this space ....

Nicola

benoo5
09-11-03, 16:13
hy nic,
an interesting point about these tapes,is that they carry on working through your subconcious state,even though you may be asleep...best wishes..bryan

gaza448
09-11-03, 19:21
Diana the panic tape I mentioned is from a different company there website is www.uncommon-knowledge.co.uk (i don't know how to do direct links) it is called the Panic Prevention Programme and on one side is tips and coping strategies which are very good and the other side is the hypnotism or relaxation it costs about £12. I agree with Meg that just because I haven't had a panic attack in sparring for a few weeks I can stop everything I'm doing but with me I guess I'm fortunate that I only ever had them in sparring and it became a bit of a trigger that when I spar I have a panic attack I'm now on the way to breaking that trigger.Positive thinking is vital ( i think) in every aspect of life not just panic attacks. I try too think of panic attacks as a fight (being a boxer)things won't always go my way but I will succeed (I also think how much stronger a person I will be having conquered them theres always a plus)

Gary

gaza448
09-11-03, 19:25
Well I put in my last post I didn't know how to do direct links( to uncommon-knowledge) it appears that this website does it for me. Amazing

Gary

nomorepanic
09-11-03, 21:12
Gary

Yeah it will translate web addresses into links - neat idea eh?

I accept no credit - it is not my Forum - just one I use :-)

Nicola

gaza448
11-11-03, 01:04
I know this is not directly linked to panic attacks but I have been told tonight that my dad has only a few weeks left of his life. My dad is 56 years old worked in the same job for 40 years and retired last year to care for his mom (my nan) who was suffering with cancer two weeks after he retired she passed away. Shortly after my dad was told he has cancer. Five weeks ago my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer but had a successful operation to remove it we all hoped my dad would make a recovery but it is not be. I am 27 years old with two children aged 5 months and 4 years old. Do you think all these things contribute to panic attacks although I have not had one for a few weeks I nearly did tonight when told about my dad. I know this post is not directly about panic attacks but I felt I was doing well but am finding it a bit hard at the moment. Thanks for putting up with my sob story.

Gary

diana
11-11-03, 04:04
Hiya Gary!!!

Sorry to hear about your dad, I got a cold chill over myself reading your story :(. I could`nt imagine losing my dad right now as he and his mom (my grandmom)were the ones who raised me. My mom left me and my dad when I was 5 years old. My grandmom died 3 years ago but feels like yesterday (the pain)!!! I was devhastated (excuse the spelling) when my grandmom passed, I am 37 with 3 children ages 17, 16, and 13 and my dad just turned 61 and I just could not even fathom the idea of losing him, so I can imagine how you must be feeling. Well enough of my problems, it seems that you have had alot going on with family members and illnesses, enough to make anyone be anxious and or panic, my goodness that is alot on your plate. Your dad also being so young is even harder to accept. It is a blessing that your mom was able to rid herself of the cancer she had, I know you had hoped the same for your dad, but just keep doing what you`ve been doing and you`ll get through things just fine . Of course it is going to be a bit harder because of the circumstances, but remember Gary "What Does`nt Kill Us Makes Us Stronger"!!! I believe that whole heartedly. Just about 15 years ago I lost my teen love, father of my (2) daughters, and I thought I would just lay down and die with him. My daughters then only 2 and 1 years old. I knew I had to go on because I had these girls to raise, but there were many times I just wanted and felt as if I were going to die. Anxiety and panic are never a long lost friend you are glad to see when they come a calling, and it always seems they come to visit at our lowest and most vulnerable moments. I know I am rambling on about alot of my rubbish, but really what I am trying to say is that "This Too Shall Pass"!!!! it will be hard, you will have bad days , but like you mentioned before "You Will Succeed, Because You Are Trying, And That Is All That Matters"!!! May God watch over you all, and help you and your family through this tough time. I will be thinking of you in my prayers. Thanks for sharing Gary.

Take care , and God bless

Diana xxx ;)

P.S. Thank you for all the information you have passed on to me and others.You are an inspiration.

diana
11-11-03, 04:09
Hiya Nicola!

Good to hear the tape is going good for you. Let me know how you did on Sunday evening, that will be the real test! LOL................ :D. Keep us posted, if it goes good for you, I think I will pick the tape up too.

Cheers!!!

gaza448
11-11-03, 09:23
Hi Diani thanks for the lovely reply I know I haven't got the toughest life in the world believe me, but for the past 6 years it seems one thing after another. My dad has always been there especially when my wife was ill. I start to get on top of my problems then another worse one seems to come along, I will succeed and get through this I know but it is hard.

Thanks Gary

ps This site and the people on it are brilliant.

diana
11-11-03, 14:35
Hey Gary,
I know it is hard, and my heart really does go out to you and your family. It always seems to be that way, everytime we think we have conquered one thing another comes along to challenge us. Life seems to be just one great big test for us, to see how much we can take till we break!!! I too know that you will get through this, and yes it will be hard, but remember you are not alone!!!! we are all here and you have your family so there are plenty of shoulders for you to lean on, USE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take care Gary, let us know how you are doing.

Diana xxx :)

nomorepanic
12-11-03, 20:44
Hi Gary

Sorry to hear that :-(

I lost my dad many years ago so I got quite attached to my partners dad - made him my surrogate father. Last year he too was diagnosed with cancer and we watched him slowly die. The day he did I had my first panic attack for a long time and it really took it out of me.

I think just the shock of it all was too much and my body's response was the panic.

I can really feel for you right now and it can't be an easy time. Just spend as much of it as you can with him and try to remain positive for him.

I hope you will be ok

Nicola

nomorepanic
12-11-03, 20:48
quote:Originally posted by Scared

Good to hear the tape is going good for you. Let me know how you did on Sunday evening, that will be the real test! LOL................ :D. Keep us posted, if it goes good for you, I think I will pick the tape up too.

Hi the tape didn't work too well Sunday but I wasn't expecting miracles. I listened to the whole of the first side and was still awake. I fell asleep during the 2nd side though. I went to bed at 12 and woke up at 4.15 and couldn't get back to sleep. I tried listening to the tape again but I had to lay on my back cos of the headphones and this was not comfy. Then the batteries ran out so I gave up.

I have played it again since though and sometimes I can listen to the whole of the first side and other times I fall asleep before it ends.

I am still happy with it though so I would recommend it.

I got it from www.hypnosisaudio.com and it is the "Deep Sleep" one. It cost £9.99 including P+P but you may be able to get it cheaper on some other site - amazon maybe?

Nicola