PDA

View Full Version : anemia

mirry
05-11-07, 11:15
Hi everyone , 4 years ago I popped into one of those travelling caravans that do free health checks , (this one was at sainsburys).
They told me I was bordering anemic and that I should take some multi vitamins with iron in it , which I never did :blush: .

Well just lately I have been having alot of anemia symptoms so today I phoned my gp to see if they have ever done a blood test on me for it (because i know I have had bloods taken).
The nice lady at the desk told me NO , according my records I have never had a blood test for anemia :ohmy: , which is pretty amzing concidering I have complained for the past 5 years of being so dizzy all the time and breathless and tired. Do we have to be our own doctor ???

Anyway I dont know if I am anemic , but I do know I have really heavy periods , dont eat red meat, or much dark green veg:lac: .

Have just checked out online how much iron I ate yesturday and it worked out at

7 mg , but apparently women should be having 18mg a day!

Booked to see doctor tommorow to ask for a test :flowers:

Piglet
05-11-07, 14:01
Let me know how you get on hun as this is something that has plagued me too over the years - now I take spatone which I've told you about before.

Mirry you didn't half make me laugh calling it a travelling caravan :yesyes:

Piglet :flowers:

mirry
05-11-07, 14:56
lol , oh yeah , just realised I wrote that , ha ha.

I can just imagine a travelling caravan with a gypsy with all her crystals and beads , looking into her crystal ball saying "oh yes your anemic" ,lol.

Piglet , what anemia issues did you have ?
Did it make you feel dizzy ?
also what other symptoms did you have ?
I have notised my nail beds are really pale and my gums and lips are pale, I compared against my husbands nails and gums. Also I never have much energy and another thing is
when I stand up , my heart races , also if I go up stairs I get breathless.

mirry
06-11-07, 11:03
:flowers: went to gp today , had a good chat and she agreed to give me a anemia test and a hormone test and a thyroid test all in one go .

when we were discussing my monthlys she said that because I have them every 21 days suggests I may have poly something overies :shrug: .
Bet they all come back clear , but I cant have it done until day 5 of my cycle, so ages to wait. will let you know if they find anything.:flowers:

ceecee
06-11-07, 13:52
hi mirry:)
i have been anaemic many times over the years due to my heavy periods:blush:
many women do get anaemic if their periods are on the heavy side
i went for a blood test in july as i was feeling really tired and dizzy.my bloods came back and my iron level was 5 whereas it should be around 12 -15
i,m now on iron tablets which have helped with the tiredness and also the dizzyness:)
let us know how you get on
i just thought i,d let you know you,re not alone
:D

mirry
06-11-07, 17:26
thanks for letting me know ceecee , its funny cos I was telling her they are every 21 days to point out they are closer together so therefore I am having more periods in a year than most woman , but she wasnt that interested in that more about the poly cycstic thing :shrug: ,lol.
Glad you feel better on the Iron pills :yesyes: .