PDA

View Full Version : How many of us have lost a family member to suicide and how do we all cope with it?

PITITA
05-11-07, 13:01
I was just wondering how many of us have lost dear family members to suicide and how do we all learn to live with the fact it was a suicide and not any illness, and how many of us thinking that we might do the same?

Like I have lost a brother to suicide and that is my culprit now that I keep thinking I will do the same, and the guilt that comes with it that I couldn't do it because I know how it affects others' lives.

I just would love to hear it how others have coped with suicide as different insights might change my own perspective on the issue.

Many Thanks to all who will reply to this! xxx

hopeful
05-11-07, 14:15
Hi, I have not told many people this but my mum took her own life at the age of 44. I was 19 at the time and I'm now 52. She used to suffer with 'nerves' and took quite a few overdoses of pills from when I was 14. The last one killed her.
I understand your feeling of maybe you may do the same as I felt like that for many years, especially as I approached the same age as she was when she died. BUT I'm still here and I've passed that age.
I dont tell people for some reason,my kids dont know,I tell them she had heart trouble. Only my husband and a few others who I trust know.
Over the years I've thought about my mom a lot and I've gone through a range of emotions.Writing this now makes me wonder again why she left me.
I guess there areno answers really and we have to get on with life and just be thankful that we had them for a time. I'm not very good at replies and I hope I've not hurt or offended you. You have my deepest sympathy over the loss of your brother.
julie x

PITITA
05-11-07, 15:00
Not at all, I aprreciate your honesty. Thank you for your reply. I guess it is still very hard for me to come to terms with as it has only been 3 years and I am still terrified of what my life will come to as well. Hopefully one day I will be able to come to terms with it. I am in a lot of pain because of it at the moment I find it hard to look into the future. xx

yorkylover
05-11-07, 15:02
Im so sorry to hear about your brother and your mum to Julie.
My brother like your mum Julie has attempted suicide quite a few times,the last one being the worse,he did survive with the help of good hospital staff.I just feel alot of anger inside because of what he puts us all through as a family.I cant really answer your question,but this is how he makes me feel.
Just remember it isnt your fault,we have always been there for my brother given him 100% support so there is no more we can do for him.He has to help himself to.We cant read peoples minds and we dont know what there always thinking.
I dont know your situation,but I know you should not blame your self.:hugs:

alexis
05-11-07, 23:29
I have lost 2 family members due to suicide.

kazzie
05-11-07, 23:45
HI PITTA:)

My cousin who I was very close to killed himself in April this year:ohmy:

It wasent suicide as such, he was drunk and wanted to prove to his mate that white spirit wasent flammable:shrug:

We had the trauma of police and turning off life support etc

And yes I blamed myself

But I am coming to realise it wasent my fault!!

That said all my friends and family have said Im not the same any more....

I dont laugh

I dont smile

I feel empty

God Bless You

Kaz x x x:hugs:

amu
24-10-08, 22:39
My paternal grandmother committed suicide when she was 60 (I was 6). I only found out about the reason she had died not being an illness when I was 20. My uncle (Mum's brother) killed himself when he was 21. Now I feel that I'm getting it from both sides. I'm 27 and I suffer from depression and anxiety. :(

Piglet
25-10-08, 00:30
Some moving replies there hun.

I just wanted to say hello and see how ya doing. :hugs:

Love Piglet :flowers: