PDA

View Full Version : Looking at getting a doggie :)

Fishmanpa
22-01-21, 18:29
My wife has been wanting a doggie for ages. We've had our Pixie Bob cat for 10 years. He's always been a social cat and a pretty chill dude but he's the been an 'only child' so to speak and definitely the king of the house. I've been reading about this scenario and the consensus seems to be to find an older dog that's just as chill and is familiar with cats.

So... we've been in contact with a few shelters, have applications in and are cleared to adopt. One of them contacted us with a dog they think would suit the bill. He's a senior, 11 year old terrier named Diesel. Cute little guy and only 14 pounds (Socrates is bigger than that at 17+ pounds). Turns out the owners had a baby and the dog was very jealous so they gave him up. He's fully trained, housebroken etc. and in excellent health. He's at a veterinary clinic about an hour from us and they said he's been pretty chill with the resident cats so that's a plus. We're just waiting to hear back to set up a time to meet him.

We think it would be awesome if things work out as both the doggie and our cat are seniors and would have a quiet loving home to spend the remainder of their lives which realistically is around 5-7 years. The key is going to be how Socrates reacts. It would be good for all involved and help get me off my rear to take him for walks and play etc. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
22-01-21, 18:34
Retired greyhounds make great pets, just make sure they no longer have their prey drive. Most don’t.

Edit: Sorry, read that wrong. I see terrier now!

glassgirlw
22-01-21, 19:20
Yay for new fur-family members!! I hope it all works out for you. You’ll have to share pictures once he comes home!

Fishmanpa
22-01-21, 19:39
Will do if we get him. He's going into foster this week and we'll be meeting him Feb. 13th and we're the first to meet him. Yeah, he's a terrier, Rat Terrier I believe. We wanted something small as our place isn't that big he should suit the bill. We'll see.....

Positive thoughts

glassgirlw
22-01-21, 21:46
I have two rescues and one that we bought from a breeder. Honestly my two rescues are better behaved than the one with “stellar” bloodlines lol. I love them all, but my rescues have a special place in my heart for sure.

NoraB
23-01-21, 07:39
I've always had rescue dogs. I figure that they and I have a lot in common when it comes to emotional damage. I think it's a case that we 'rescue' each other..

I do hope we will get pics Fishmanpa?

My dream is to have one of those daft old wolfhounds but our house isn't very big and these things are bloody massive! :ohmy:

Maybe if I win the lottery? :yesyes:

AntsyVee
23-01-21, 16:47
I have two rescues and one that we bought from a breeder. Honestly my two rescues are better behaved than the one with “stellar” bloodlines lol. I love them all, but my rescues have a special place in my heart for sure.

Many of my friends have dogs, and I've noticed the same thing. The mixed breeds and mutts are a lot more stable! The pure breeds were bought for their behavioral breed characteristics, but they seem the most neurotic to me! LOL

AntsyVee
23-01-21, 16:49
I've always had rescue dogs. I figure that they and I have a lot in common when it comes to emotional damage. I think it's a case that we 'rescue' each other..

I do hope we will get pics Fishmanpa?

My dream is to have one of those daft old wolfhounds but our house isn't very big and these things are bloody massive! :ohmy:

Maybe if I win the lottery? :yesyes:

OMG, someone in Michigan last night won the lottery here with a payout of some $700 million!

NoraB
24-01-21, 07:34
OMG, someone in Michigan last night won the lottery here with a payout of some $700 million!

Jammy sods.

Carnation
24-01-21, 10:45
I think it's a wonderful idea FMP.

Two things to remember...

The dog you are meant to have will choose you.
And time to adjust to the new household and pixie bobcat, especially the bobcat.

Let us know how you get on. :yesyes:

fishman65
24-01-21, 14:29
Many of my friends have dogs, and I've noticed the same thing. The mixed breeds and mutts are a lot more stable! The pure breeds were bought for their behavioral breed characteristics, but they seem the most neurotic to me! LOLDefinitely agree with this Vee. Lexie our black lab is a rescue dog but I'm sure she's got something else in her other than lab. Not wanting to tempt fate but she's never ill, can eat basically anything and has a lovely nature. OK she has some psychological damage from whatever was done to her, she's terrified of fireworks and football on TV sends her hiding upstairs. But she remains a gentle dog.

Good luck FMP, he sounds a lovely little chap and yes photos if you do get him. :)

Fishmanpa
13-02-21, 20:20
We were scheduled to meet the doggie today but sadly and much to my wife's extreme disappointment, a winter storm hit the area, the roads are very icy and a mess and it's much too unsafe to drive the 65 miles to meet him :(

Positive thoughts

Buster70
13-02-21, 20:33
Definitely go for it with a dog , we had an older cat when we got our first pup a Staffordshire bull terrier , the cat taught the dog to go through the cat flap for his business until he got too big to fit , then he’d rattle the flap if he needed to go out , the heartbreak at the end is well worth it for the loyalty and unconditional love they give you .

jojo2316
13-02-21, 21:13
Very exciting news. Rescue dogs are the very best. I hope little Diesel gets to come and live with you and that, maybe, you can post some pictures?xxx

Fishmanpa
13-02-21, 21:24
Very exciting news. Rescue dogs are the very best. I hope little Diesel gets to come and live with you and that, maybe, you can post some pictures?xxx

As I posted... we were supposed to meet him today at noon. Then they delayed it three hours due to a winter storm and by the time we were supposed to leave, the weather was just too dangerous to drive in :( So... we're back to looking and put in a few more applications. We'll see. My wife really wants to do this NOW but I'm fine with waiting until the right one comes along.

We're looking for a small dog, preferably older or a senior that's chill and good with cats as the main thing is that our boy get along with him/her. We won't know until we try but he's pretty chill and social so we'll see.

Positive thoughts

glassgirlw
13-02-21, 22:29
Aw that stinks!!! I know the disappointment of getting hopes up for a meet and greet and having it fall through for whatever reason. Maybe it means you’re meant to find one closer to home that will be a better fit with your current pets. Still disappointing though!! Looking forward to good news hopefully very soon!

jojo2316
14-02-21, 12:28
As I posted... we were supposed to meet him today at noon. Then they delayed it three hours due to a winter storm and by the time we were supposed to leave, the weather was just too dangerous to drive in :( So... we're back to looking and put in a few more applications. We'll see. My wife really wants to do this NOW but I'm fine with waiting until the right one comes along.

We're looking for a small dog, preferably older or a senior that's chill and good with cats as the main thing is that our boy get along with him/her. We won't know until we try but he's pretty chill and social so we'll see.

Positive thoughts

Oh no! Did you only have one chance to visit Diesel? Can’t you go when the storm has passed? X

Fishmanpa
14-02-21, 12:37
Oh no! Did you only have one chance to visit Diesel? Can’t you go when the storm has passed? X

Actually, they called last night after we went to bed and left a message. They stayed overnight due to the weather and we can get to meet him today! So.... I'm going to call her in a bit and we'll take a ride up (about an hour or so) and we'll see. We're bringing a blanket that Socrates sleeps on to see his reaction. I'm in the mindset that animals choose us as much as we choose them so we'll see how he is. We gad gone to meet another dog a month ago and he was a total basket case so you never know but from what the adoption place said and the woman fostering him, he's supposedly pretty sweet.

Positive thoughts

glassgirlw
14-02-21, 12:50
Oh yay!! Good news after all!! I hope it works out today!

Fishmanpa
14-02-21, 12:55
We'll see... I have to call her. Right now, it's still very icy out and they extended the Winter Weather advisory so.... :unsure:

Positive thoughts

jojo2316
14-02-21, 16:41
Fingers crossed!

Fishmanpa
14-02-21, 19:40
So..... The roads weren't that bad and WE GOT HIM! :) He's a cute little thing. Smaller than our cat. You can definitely see the Terrier and Chihuahua in him. He's very sweet and friendly. In fact, he asked me to pick him up and I carried him around the Petco when we were buying food and such. We brought a blanket our cat lays on and he sniffed it and rolled around marking it with his scent. That's a good sign as he wasn't put off. We have him in the spare room for now, doors closed. They'll be able to smell each other through the door. We'll keep them separated for a couple days and then introduce them through the child gate on the door. Keeping our fingers crossed as that's the deal breaker if they can't get along. I'll post some pics once things settle down.

Positive thoughts

BikerMatt
14-02-21, 19:56
How lovely Fishmanpa. Very exciting for you to have a bundle of fun and new member of the family!

jojo2316
14-02-21, 20:06
Ooooooooohhhh. This is the best valentines news! I hope he settles and that he and your little cat can reach an understanding. Can’t wait to see pics!

Fishmanpa
14-02-21, 20:19
little cat

Socrates is a big boy. A solid 17 pounds! Diesel is maybe 12-14 pounds and visibly smaller. The rescue told me that Diesel likes to be the boss but I can tell you right now that I'm the alpha, followed by Socrates ~lol~ If push comes to shove, Socrates won't take no guff nor will I :winks:

Socrates is not happy at the moment. He's been outside the bedroom door meowing. He smelled me and was put off a bit but he just came downstairs to get pets and butt pats and is cuddled up with me so....

I'll tell you though... Diesel really is a sweet little guy. When we got home, my wife took him for a walk and he did his business and I brought everything in. I went up to see him a few minutes ago and he was so affectionate! His breath is rotten though! ~lol~ Like fish... and man... his farts rival mine! :roflmao:

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa
14-02-21, 21:20
Here you go... Diesel...

Positive thoughts

jojo2316
14-02-21, 22:07
What a sweetie. He looks totally at home already. Yeah dogs can be stinky things and there will probably be moments over the coming weeks when you wonder why you did it..... but I’ve always had dogs AND cats and wouldn’t be without either :-)

glassgirlw
14-02-21, 22:08
Diesel looks like he’s making himself right at home!!! Congratulations on your new family member!!

Carnation
14-02-21, 23:19
He's gorgeous FMP :yesyes:

AntsyVee
15-02-21, 17:56
Awww, good to hear, FMP! He looks like he's part Jack Russel terrier.

Where are the pics of Socrates?

Fishmanpa
17-02-21, 23:23
Where are the pics of Socrates?

The boy....

So... day three with Diesel. We've done visual introductions and while Socrates was curious and chilled, Diesel was definitely more on alert. We been doing visual introductions (through the child gate) and tonight we added giving them both treats to make it a positive experience. Definitely better. AND... using treats, we were able to get Diesel to 'sit' on command! He's definitely treat motivated :) We'll take our time and slowly get Diesel acclimated and hopefully in the next few weeks we'll see what happens.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
17-02-21, 23:30
LOL Socrates does not look happy that you were taking his picture!

Fishmanpa
18-02-21, 20:23
So day 4... we've been allowing Diesel and Socrates to see each other through the gate for short periods of time. We're giving them both treats to try to make it a positive thing. Socrates is actually curious and has attempted to get close but Diesel is acting aggressive. I also found out Diesel does not like to be told "NO!". I had to tell him no last night, pointed my finger and sternly told him "NO!" and to go lay down and he snarled and went to nip at me :lac: The rescue told us that he basically ran the previous owner's house so this will definitely be different as my wife and I are the alpha's followed by Socrates. He starts obedience training next week so I hope he will learn to get along and listen to commands. The bottom line is that he has no choice. We'll work hard with him but getting along with Socrates is a must.

Positive thoughts

Scass
19-02-21, 07:58
Diesel is so sweet! And Socrates is a lovely giant ball of fluff.

How old is Diesel? I’m interested in how you are going to establish your dominance, I hope he learns fairly quickly so that you can all be happy together.

I have lived with 4 rescue dogs growing up, but due to my allergies I don’t own my own. I do miss having a pet though. Our tropical fish just aren’t very snuggly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
19-02-21, 09:09
How old is Diesel? I’m interested in how you are going to establish your dominance

Diesel is 10 (as is Socrates). We're signed up for obedience classes and start next weekend. I hope it's a learning experience for all of us. He really is a sweet dog but he definitely has Chihuahua personality in him.

Positive thoughts

jojo2316
19-02-21, 21:11
Sounds like poor Diesel is going to have to learn all about being bottom of the heap after a lifetime of being top dog!

Fishmanpa
20-02-21, 15:51
Well.... Sadly, I have to report that things are not going to work out. We've been following the recommendations for introducing a dog to a cat. The first two days were no visuals, just smelling under the door and having blankets with each others scent. We started short visual intros last Tuesday and while Socrates was curious and chill, Diesel was too attentive and borderline aggressive.

This morning we were doing a short visual (supervised of course). Pretty much the same. Socrates wanted to come up to the gate but Diesel was having none of it and yipped at him. Socrates backed off and went toward our bedroom. At that moment Diesel literally exploded against the gate knocking it down and chasing after Socrates. I was able to grab him in our bedroom and he was very aggressive trying to bite me. Socrates was freaked out as you might expect and spent the next two hours hiding under our bed. I tried to console him but he hissed and retreated further. He finally came out a little while ago but it's obvious he's a bit traumatized. Nope.... it's not going to work. Diesel needs a home without a cat!

We called the rescue and will be returning him within the next two weeks. In the mean time, we have to keep him isolated in the 2nd bedroom. It's a shame as otherwise, he's really a sweet doggie :(

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
20-02-21, 16:21
I'm sorry to hear this, FMP. For some older pets, it's really hard for them to adapt to having new species or even any new animal in the house. You might want to ask the rescue if any of the dogs available used to live with cats. Otherwise, consider getting a puppy. Puppies are more work, but Socrates can help raise the puppy to his satisfaction.

I used to foster cats, but I can't anymore because the last cat I adopted is too territorial (even though he's neutered). He wants to fight any new cats that come into "his" house, even if they are injured or are babies.

Fishmanpa
20-02-21, 17:46
I'm sorry to hear this, FMP. For some older pets, it's really hard for them to adapt to having new species or even any new animal in the house. You might want to ask the rescue if any of the dogs available used to live with cats. Otherwise, consider getting a puppy. Puppies are more work, but Socrates can help raise the puppy to his satisfaction.

I used to foster cats, but I can't anymore because the last cat I adopted is too territorial (even though he's neutered). He wants to fight any new cats that come into "his" house, even if they are injured or are babies.

The rescue knew we had a cat and we were looking for cat friendly. They told us he was Ok with cats and ignored the kittens they had in foster at their home. We experienced the complete opposite. It happened so darn fast too! It was like BAM and he was off after Socrates. But like I said, other than that, he really is a sweet little doggie. It's just not going to work.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
20-02-21, 21:47
Yeah, unfortunately most animals ignore kittens because they're just too young to trigger. It's never a full indicator of whether an animal is going to do well with cats. Kitten have not developed the body language and territorial instincts of full-grown cats.

jojo2316
24-02-21, 19:57
Only just saw this and it’s sad news indeed. But it sounds like you have made the right decision. Socrates is a senior chap and doesn’t need to endure being hunted- also I wonder if Diesel has some dominance issues? Hope he and you find the right fits soon. Keep us posted xx

Fishmanpa
01-03-21, 01:51
So we take Diesel back next Saturday. It's the right thing to do as there's no way he will get along with Socrates and he's aggressive with other dogs and cats he sees. Typical Chihuahua personality in that he thinks he's 10X as big as he is but I'll tell ya... having had him for a couple of weeks he's really grown on me. He really is a sweet boy and his personality of quirky and funny. We've taught him to sit too! Gonna miss that little guy :( I truly hope they find a good home for him.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
01-03-21, 22:07
I'm sorry, FMP :\

Fishmanpa
06-03-21, 21:27
So we took him back today. It sucked :weep: We could hear him barking (he has a very recognizable bark). He really is a sweet doggie but with his aggression toward cats we just couldn't keep him. He had someone coming to meet him today. Hopefully they'll adopt him. My wife is SO set on getting a dog and frankly, after this experience, I'm just not into it. I feel like I'm humoring her at this point. Unless it's a perfect fit, I'm just not going to go for it. We've discussed it and IF we do this, it will have to be a very young puppy that really doesn't know any better and Socrates can establish his dominance and teach him. For now, I told her to chill as she's been obsessed 24/7 in finding a doggie... UGH! Socrates seems to be thrilled that he's gone too. We took down the gate to the 2nd bedroom and he established himself again and he's been VERY chill since we came home. Thing is, he's our boy. He's been with us since he was a kitten and truly is the best furry friend I've ever had in my life. A truly unique cat and companion. He's literally curled up cuddling with me as I type this :)

Positive thoughts

jojo2316
07-03-21, 16:24
Awwww. Sounds for the best. And I think, often, cats do like to have their people to themselves. Has your wife had dogs before?

Scass
07-03-21, 17:02
Oh I’m sorry FMP. You did the right thing in every way possible.

Fishmanpa
07-03-21, 19:07
Awwww. Sounds for the best. And I think, often, cats do like to have their people to themselves. Has your wife had dogs before?

Our boy is very social. When we have company, he's all about meeting them and hanging out. He was very curious about the dog but the doggie had a really strong predator instinct. I guess that was the terrier in him. Thing is, the rescue told us he was indifferent to cats and he definitely wasn't. I had dogs growing up as did my wife so it's not new having them around.

Oh I’m sorry FMP. You did the right thing in every way possible.

I know... it just sucks as he's a senior (10 yo) and harder to adopt. I think he'd be great for an older couple without kids. He really was a sweet and affectionate boy and although he never was formally trained, he was smart. Heck, we taught him sit in less than 30 minutes! It was funny, by the time we took him back, if I grabbed the treat jar, he would come running and sit without me even having to say so ~lol~

We're going to chill a bit with the dog thing but still keep our eyes open. If we do this again, I think it's going to have to be a puppy that really doesn't know better and that way Socrates can help train him :winks:

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
07-03-21, 20:16
Glad to see you're taking my advice about the puppy. I'm sure Diesel will find a home. It sounds like that rescue is on top of things. Yes, terriers usually like to chase anything smaller than they are. Typically Basset Hounds and Beagles do really well with cats, but they can be a pain in the ass because they like to follow their noses, so they much always be on a leash. Pugs and poodles typically get a long with cats really well too cause they weren't bred for a prey drive at all. Bunnies also do really well with cats, but if you've never had a bunny, there is a lot of reading you should do before getting one.

TC,
Vee

whispershadow
07-03-21, 21:28
Aww sorry Diesel didnt work out, hope the next dog will *hugs*

Fishmanpa
08-03-21, 12:20
Bunnies also do really well with cats, but if you've never had a bunny, there is a lot of reading you should do before getting one.

My first wife and I had bunnies. French Lops. Thought we had two females until they got a little older, then it was obvious one was not ~lol~ We had him fixed and they were awesome. Our girl was a big one and came in at around 15 pounds. Our boy a little smaller. We got them as little babies and had both until they passed at around 8 years or so. They were litter trained and allowed to run loose when we were home. We had a pen from when we would go out. They were great pets and a lot like a cat.... loved to play and cuddle.

I wouldn't mind having one again but my wife is obsessed with the dog thing and if we could find the right one, it would be good all around. Even having Diesel for three weeks, as stressful as it was because he didn't get along with the cat, still showed the benefits. Heck, it got me off my rear a couple times a day as I'd walk around a nearby park for up to two miles a day. Heck, he was my age in dog years and it helped get the kinks out of our bones ;)

Positive thoughts

BlueIris
08-03-21, 12:25
I'm so very sorry, FMP, it must be really hard for you.

When I was a kid, we got a puppy when we already had an older cat. It worked beautifully; to be fair, the cat was pretty sassy anyway but she basically knocked the daylights out of the pup any time she (the pup) overstepped any of her wide range of boundaries.

If any of the human family members got between us and the dog's food bowl, we'd get growled at. If the cat wanted to inspect it? Yeah, the dog would step aside.

Fishmanpa
18-03-21, 18:29
So... after discussing it and as I've posted, we've decided to take the plunge and get a female puppy. We feel it would be better all around as our Pixie Bob cat would certainly teach her respect if she got out of line. We're heading out Saturday to look at a litter of shepherd/border collie mix pups. We'll see.... :)

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
18-03-21, 19:34
Just remember, those dogs like to herd. Make sure you teach her to "leave it" early and not to nip at your heels from day 1. Otherwise, she will try to herd you all and Socrates around the house.

Fishmanpa
18-03-21, 19:54
Just remember, those dogs like to herd. Make sure you teach her to "leave it" early and not to nip at your heels from day 1. Otherwise, she will try to herd you all and Socrates around the house.

Appreciate it AV... Whatever pup we end up getting, we plan on taking her for obedience training. It's been a while since either of us have had a dog and we'll all need to learn some things ;)

Positive thoughts

meltedchic
18-03-21, 22:17
So... after discussing it and as I've posted, we've decided to take the plunge and get a female puppy. We feel it would be better all around as our Pixie Bob cat would certainly teach her respect if she got out of line. We're heading out Saturday to look at a litter of shepherd/border collie mix pups. We'll see.... :)

Positive thoughts

Wow that is great! Got a mix of Pekingnese and Shitzu female dog. Feel so delighted :D

Enjoy your pup :D

whispershadow
18-03-21, 22:27
ooh hope pup works out <3

Fishmanpa
21-03-21, 15:19
So we went to a meet and greet from one of the rescues we applied to. This rescue specializes in Shepherds/shepherd mixes. They had several adults and there were two pups that looked like they had hound or border collie in them. They were both girls and sweet as all get out! The smaller of the two looked more like a shepherd and the other was larger and had border collie markings. They were 11 weeks old. The pup we applied for was born on March 6 so they have a little while before they can be adopted out. She has that border collie type markings.

We got the scoop on how they work and basically, once the app is approved, you get a case worker that personally communicates with you and helps you find the perfect pup. It typically takes 3+ weeks to get everything set up so that coincides with that litter of pups we applied for and we were told there are 3 other litters due in the next few weeks. I really liked the way they have things set up and they flat out told us if we have a cat, they will make sure they're fostered in a home with cats and they will be thoroughly cat tested.

As far as Socrates? Just based on how he reacted to Diesel, I don't think we'll have any issues. Besides, he'll be the alpha and make sure the pup stays in line ;) So... the process continues.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
21-03-21, 21:03
Good to hear, FMP!!

Fishmanpa
28-03-21, 21:09
So... we had a phone interview and we just got an email stating they'll be contacting us for an in home visit. If we get through that, we'll be assigned a case worker that will help us find the perfect pup.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
28-03-21, 23:50
I was gonna tell you to adopt this one, FMP, but it looks like he already found a home!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/27/us/dog-steals-purple-unicorn-gets-adopted-trnd/index.html

Fishmanpa
29-03-21, 00:22
I was gonna tell you to adopt this one, FMP, but it looks like he already found a home!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/27/us/dog-steals-purple-unicorn-gets-adopted-trnd/index.html

I saw and read that story AVee. How sweet is that?! Having grown up with dogs, I know they definitely have human qualities :) That's an adult and after much discussion and advice from fellow senior cat owners, we feel a puppy is the best choice. Socrates will be the alpha and set limits and from what I've seen and read, doggies learn quickly who the boss is ;)

So... The rescue we're dealing with is a German Shepard rescue. We're not looking for a Shepard per se' as they have very distinctive and demanding personalities, but a mix is fine. I actually had a female Shepherd/Collie mix and she was the sweetest doggie I ever owned. We're looking for a female, preferably a Shepherd/lab/collie/hound/whatever mix (just no Pitt Bull), preferably in the 40-50lb range full grown. The main thing is that she has the physical aspects to do long walks with my wife (she does 3-4 miles every morning) and be able to tackle the trails in the Shenandoah Park which is a mile from our home. I originally moved here for that reason and it would give me the motivation to get my butt back up there.

At this point, I'm truly doing this more for my wife than myself. She has wanted a doggie since we've been together. While I'll benefit from the relationship, I'm content with our cat as he's low maintenance, chill and sweet as can be. In all honesty, the prospect of having a baby in the house and all the responsibility is a bit daunting. I often think, "What the hell am I getting myself into?" ~lol~ That said, I know 100% if we put the effort in, she'll be an amazing addition to our family and get me off my rear end which, since the pandemic, I sorely need ;)

The little girl we applied for is now around 4 weeks old. She's a Shepherd/Border collie mix and is beautiful! Her name is Valentina but we'll definitely re-name her. We're thinking Micha Jade as that would make her initials the same as my wife and I :)

This is the little girl (https://www.petfinder.com/dog/valentina-1847-50892128/va/stephens-city/shenandoah-shepherd-rescue-va761/) we're interested in.....

Positive thoughts

glassgirlw
29-03-21, 02:17
OH MY GOODNESS Valentina is adorable!!!!! Sending positive thoughts your way that the adoption goes in your favor!!

Lolalee1
29-03-21, 10:18
That is wonderful FMP,you and your wife will spoil her rotten:yesyes:

AntsyVee
29-03-21, 20:07
Hey, hey, what's wrong with names that start with V? :p :lac:

Fishmanpa
29-03-21, 22:31
Hey, hey, what's wrong with names that start with V? :p :lac:

Nothing at all... Being that my wife and I share the same initials, we thought doing the same for the pup would be a cool thing to do ;)

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
29-03-21, 22:32
Nothing at all... Being that my wife and I share the same initials, we thought doing the same for the pup would be a cool thing to do ;)

Positive thoughts

MJ makes me think of Michael Jackson LOL

.Poppy.
30-03-21, 15:56
Congrats FMP, that's so exciting. And what a cute pup! Looks like there is some Border Collie or Aussie in her as well? I grew up with Aussies and my parents currently have two; they are fun pups.

Dogs are just awesome. My own dog has multiple health problems and is batsh*t crazy and he still keeps me grounded and moving forward :roflmao:

BlueIris
30-03-21, 16:14
What a beautiful little lady! I hope you manage to make her a part of your life.

Fishmanpa
30-03-21, 16:18
Congrats FMP, that's so exciting. And what a cute pup! Looks like there is some Border Collie or Aussie in her as well? I grew up with Aussies and my parents currently have two; they are fun pups.

Dogs are just awesome. My own dog has multiple health problems and is batsh*t crazy and he still keeps me grounded and moving forward :roflmao:

This is her now. (https://dl5zpyw5k3jeb.cloudfront.net/photos/pets/50892128/1/?bust=1617031404&width=720) We don't know if we'll get her but we applied for her. We got an email and they'll be arranging an in home visit and if everything goes well there, we'll get a case worker who will help us find the perfect pup. I just really like her markings and yes, I'm thinking Border Collie or Aussie myself by the markings.

So we'll see. One step at a time ;)

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
30-03-21, 20:45
Yes, she looks like an Aussie Shepard.

Fishmanpa
04-04-21, 23:02
We just got an email and a volunteer will be contacting us in the next few days for an in home visit :)

FMP

Fishmanpa
07-04-21, 19:06
So we had a virtual interview and walk through of our property today. She got to meet Socrates and he performed for her by begging for treats and giving me his paw to get them :D She was floored by him! We should hear something by the weekend. If approved, we'll be assigned a case worker who will help us find the perfect pup. Keeping our fingers crossed. The rescue deals with German Shepherds. I had a Shepherd/collie mix and she was an awesome dog so we're looking for a mix that is active enough to do the walks with my wife and get me off my rear for walks in the park... A shepherd/collie/lab/retriever/hound mix is preferable. Something in the 40lb range full grown. Hopefully we'll find a little girl that will meet our expectations.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
07-04-21, 19:19
Awww, good ole' Socrates!

Fishmanpa
07-04-21, 19:27
Awww, good ole' Socrates!

I've always had furry friends throughout my life but Socrates? He truly is the best furry friend I've ever shared my life with. My sister says I'm obsessed with him and I can't really argue that fact ~lol~ He's literally curled up cuddling with me as I type this :)

FMP

AntsyVee
07-04-21, 19:30
Awww, that's a good buddy right there. He might get jealous of the new puppy!

Fishmanpa
07-04-21, 22:26
Awww, that's a good buddy right there. He might get jealous of the new puppy!

Ha! One of the advantages of having a puppy and an experienced cat is that they are the alpha of the house. I have absolutely no doubts that Socrates will set the rules ;) It's my hope that they become best buds and snuggle together.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
07-04-21, 23:01
They might. My youngest cat and my neighbor's dog grew up together as kitten and puppy, and when they're outside together, they play and then nap together :D

Fishmanpa
09-04-21, 01:11
So... we just the email and we're approved to adopt! :yesyes: We'll be contacted in the next few days to begin the adoption process. The case worker will work with us to find the pup for us.

Positive thoughts and puppies!

AntsyVee
09-04-21, 02:08
So... we just the email and we're approved to adopt! :yesyes: We'll be contacted in the next few days to begin the adoption process. The case worker will work with us to find the pup for us.

Congrats!

BlueIris
09-04-21, 05:37
Oh, congratulations! Give Socrates a treat for his sterling work!

At the moment I'd honestly settle for our (otherwise adorable) kitten not turning into a Tasmanian devil every time we try to stop her doing something destructive.

Enola79
09-04-21, 11:01
Re: Looking at getting a doggie :)

I have always had dogs in my life. I had a Staffie a few years ago, unfortunately I couldn't keep her so she's with a friend of mine now. I loved and still love her lots.
I lost my mum 18 months ago, she had her baby, Kitsu. A foxy white chihuahua. I personably wasn't into little dogs or rats as I used to call them. I didn't like the yapping. (mean, I know, still loved her though) Well she is 9 years old now, I took her on after mum passed. She is the most loving, cute little character. I was so wrong. She doesn't yap a lot, but does suffer with little dog syndrome!! She doesn't need much walking so it works well with my agoraphobia. She gives me attention when I crave it, as if she knows how I'm feeling. I wouldn't be without her now. She's a great companion.

I hope all goes well with your little pooch, looking forward to reading the updates. xx

WiredIncorrectly
11-04-21, 23:46
We've got 2 staffies. They were rescued. They're the most obedient dogs. One is the mother, the other is her daughter. They're inseparable and share the same crate. Even if one is in the other room and the door is closed the other will pace back and forth.

jojo2316
13-04-21, 22:48
Exciting news! Look forward to hearing who gets to join your family! X

meltedchic
20-04-21, 12:24
One of the reasons why dogs make good pets is because they help with loneliness and it did help you when you loss your mom. Happy to hear you're loving your pet now. =) Looking forward in getting additional pet?

Fishmanpa
20-04-21, 12:54
One of the reasons why dogs make good pets is because they help with loneliness and it did help you when you loss your mom. Happy to hear you're loving your pet now. =) Looking forward in getting additional pet?

You may have me confused with someone else ;) My mom passed in 2017. My wife and I have a Pixie Bob cat and are looking to bring a puppy into the family. Our boy certainly was a comfort during my cancer journey and has been a wonderful part of our lives. He's 10 now and doing well.

We're currently approved to adopt with a local rescue and they've been sending us pups to check out. They're a shepherd rescue and have many puppies currently. We're looking for a female and preferably a mix with lab/collie/aussie etc. I had a Shepherd/Collie mix and she was a great dog. My wife walks 3-4 miles in the morning and we hike so we're wanting a medium sized dog (30-40lbs or so full grown) that would be company for my wife and get me off my butt and back out into nature. We live a mile from the Shenandoah National Park and I need to get back up there.

So we're taking our time and eventually, the perfect pup will come along and getting a baby will make it easier for our cat to adjust as he'll be able to set some limits. We had adopted a senior terrier/chihuahua mix and were told he was cat friendly. That didn't turn out to be the case at all and had to return him :(

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa
20-04-21, 17:27
So... it turns out both pups we applied for were being screened for homes but one, the one we met last month at a meet and greet, is now available as the family is just too unsure about her. We really liked her and my wife fell in love and that's all she's been talking about. "I want to get one like the one we met". She's close by and the foster contacted us today. We're going to make arrangements to meet here at the park by our house Friday evening. I just need to speak with the foster mom and make arrangements and I have a few questions as well. This is her. (https://www.shenandoahrescue.org/animals/detail?AnimalID=16536124) Currently, her name is Tayen but we'll re-name her. I'll let my wife do that. When we met her, she was so sweet and the description fit her. A bit shy and timid which would be beneficial with our cat.

Keeping our fingers crossed. Oh yeah... we made arrangements to have a new fence put up. The current fence is 4ft. We'll be putting a 6' fence all the way around the back yard which will not only be great for the doggie but block the view of the messy neighbors yards on either side of us ;)

Positive thoughts

Scass
20-04-21, 20:36
Oh she is adorable!

Fishmanpa
20-04-21, 20:53
Oh she is adorable!

I know right? We're meeting her Friday at 6pm. We can take a walk with her around the park, and I have a sneaky suspicion we'll be writing a check to cover the adoption fees :winks: The foster mom said she has some pointer in her and she'll end up being around 40lbs full grown. She's around 15 pounds currently. If all goes well, we'll wait a day or two to prepare (get food and crate for downstairs, toys etc.). She's crate trained, 95% housetrained and from what the foster mom said, as sweet as can be.

I'll keep you updated. I'm actually excited :) They say fate has something to do with getting a furry friend and the fact she was unavailable and all of a sudden is, speaks volumes. I asked and she said the family was deciding between two pups and took the other so....

And BTW... we're thinking "Tasha" for a name :) And I know her nickname will be 'TeeTee' :) Our boy is Socrates but he's been "BooBoo" since I've had him and he answers to and recognizes both :)

Positive thoughts

glassgirlw
21-04-21, 01:53
She is so adorable!!! I love her sweet little face!! Crossing fingers all goes well for you Friday!

Fishmanpa
24-04-21, 01:53
Soooooo... we met her tonight and she really is the sweetest little girl. Very shy and reserved which is good because that will allow our cat to be the dominant alpha. She's beautiful too! We're picking her up tomorrow morning :)

Positive thoughts

Scass
24-04-21, 08:46
Fantastic! Can’t wait to hear all about her.

AntsyVee
24-04-21, 17:43
Soooooo... we met her tonight and she really is the sweetest little girl. Very shy and reserved which is good because that will allow our cat to be the dominant alpha. She's beautiful too! We're picking her up tomorrow morning :)

Positive thoughts

Mazeltov!! Send pics!

Fishmanpa
24-04-21, 19:41
We signed the papers and 'Tasha" (which means Birthday in Russia) is home with us. She's incredibly sweet. We'll do a DNA test on her but we know Mom is a Shepherd mix and we believe Dad is an Australian Cattle Dog based on the markings. Socrates saw her and is very curious but Tasha is rather indifferent which is good. We'll let her de-compress and get comfortable and do slow intros. I think we'll be good :)

I took the pic down because it was huge. I'll figure it out....
https://scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/177829244_10225553305963875_2573185669721398845_n. jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=ZDO2HniE_G4AX_lq-6H&_nc_ht=scontent.fric1-1.fna&oh=037cf32d9b63a092990411c058e577de&oe=60A90508 400x400

Scass
24-04-21, 20:04
Oh hi Tasha! What a sweetheart.

WiredIncorrectly
25-04-21, 11:47
Awwww. Welcome to NPM Tasha.

AntsyVee
25-04-21, 18:00
Awwww :welcome:

Fishmanpa
26-04-21, 20:52
UPDATE: So far, things are good with Tasha. She's warming up to us nicely and being really lovey dovey with me :hugs: She's definitely melting my heart. We've had a couple minor potty incidents but thankfully we have pee pee pads. We've taken her to the River Park the last couple of days, got a good walk in and let her run in the doggie enclosures. I have to get some video as she gets the Zoomies big time and it's fun to watch. My wife goes around 30 or so yards away and Tasha just zooms back and forth between us until she nearly collapses. We just got back a little while ago and she's passed out upstairs. My wife walked with her close to 4 miles this morning and she handled it like a champ. It's also gotten me off my butt and that's good for me despite feeling like I got run over! Later this week we'll be doing some controlled interactions with Socrates. So far, they've seen each other several times. They both seem curious and thankfully, Tasha is showing zero aggression. I think she just wants to say hi TBH.

She's really a sweet doggie and it will be fun growing with her. I'm signing up for obedience classes and we'll be starting them in a couple weeks as well. She already knows 'sit' and my wife taught her 'down'. She's definitely treat motivated! Oh yeah... I also ordered one of those food bowls that helps them eat slower because she literally will inhale 2 cups of food in a minute or less! :scared15: That should help her slow down and actually enjoy her meal ~lol~

I'll keep you posted and find a way to post pics and vids so you can see her.

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa
29-04-21, 18:18
UPDATE: Day 5 with Tasha and she's doing great. No potty accidents the last three days and she's adjusting nicely. We're slowing down the long walks because she's a little too young to be doing 3-4 miles so we're just doing the mile or so around the park up the street and taking her to the dog park to get the zoomies out. She knows how to sit and I taught her 'down'. We're working on 'shake' and 'stay'. She's very treat motivated so that helps. She's still very timid, shy and unsure about a lot of things but as she gains confidence, that will improve. The best part is it appears she doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body. She has such a sweet personality and she's such a pretty girl. When we walk her, so many people comment on how pretty she is and ask about her.

Things with Socrates are pretty good considering. It's obvious he's a little stressed about this new 'thing' in 'his' house as he's shedding a bit more and has taken refuge under the bed a few times but he's getting better. Tasha, while curious, could care less and Socrates while cautious, is curious. Right now he's on the chair in his window spot and she's on the floor next to the chair.... both are out cold :) I think we're going to be fine.

Positive thoughts

Scass
29-04-21, 18:58
It all sounds great FMP. Really pleased for all of you.

Fishmanpa
01-05-21, 23:35
UPDATE: One week in with the girlie and things are going really good! No accidents since last Monday, she's learned 'sit', 'stay', 'down', 'up', 'show me paw' and 'show me other paw' (she's very smart and treat motivated). Things with Socrates are going quite well and they've been interacting since last Wednesday with no negative issues. This morning, Tasha was on the floor, conked out from her morning walk and backyard zoomies and Socrates came up and was nose to nose with her, he then came up with me and cuddled with Tasha just under him on the floor. I think we're in good shape :)

She really is a very smart and sweet little girl! Ohhh yeah... on the 22nd she was at the vet and weighed 18.4lbs. I weighed her today and she's 21lbs! She's growing fast! We'll actually need to get a new collar and harness in the next few weeks! ;)

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa
02-05-21, 01:51
Some pics of Tasha including what I described in the last post.....

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa
02-05-21, 12:42
I wrote the rescue to update them on Tasha and she replied with some cool info. Tasha's sister Wiyota looks just like her and her owners did a DNA test. We'll eventually do one but I have to believe that Tasha's ancestry will be similar if not the same. In a nutshell, she's a supermutt with percentages of 7 different breeds. As I thought, she's mostly Australian Cattle dog (30%) and she has some Pittie, Chow Chow, Boxer, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever and Staffie in her.

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa
02-05-21, 14:01
So usually I'm up around 6am every morning along with my wife. She does a long walk in the morning so she starts by taking Tasha out to do her business, brings her back and then does her 3-4 miles. Eventually Tasha will be doing that but she needs to build to it. Anyway, this morning, I slept in. My wife took Tasha out and when she came back she figured I needed an alarm clock and told Tasha to go get Daddy.... so I had a doggie alarm clock and had 20+ pounds of excited happy puppy wake me up. I'm definitely not a morning person but how could I not be overwhelmed with puppy love :hugs: She was all over me smothering me with kisses and cuddles. I admit I wasn't 100% on board with getting a doggie, especially a puppy and it's only been a week, but she definitely has melted my heart.

Positive thoughts and puppy love

Scass
02-05-21, 14:32
Aww love this thread. She is so sweet.

AntsyVee
02-05-21, 17:58
So usually I'm up around 6am every morning along with my wife. She does a long walk in the morning so she starts by taking Tasha out to do her business, brings her back and then does her 3-4 miles. Eventually Tasha will be doing that but she needs to build to it. Anyway, this morning, I slept in. My wife took Tasha out and when she came back she figured I needed an alarm clock and told Tasha to go get Daddy.... so I had a doggie alarm clock and had 20+ pounds of excited happy puppy wake me up. I'm definitely not a morning person but how could I not be overwhelmed with puppy love :hugs: She was all over me smothering me with kisses and cuddles. I admit I wasn't 100% on board with getting a doggie, especially a puppy and it's only been a week, but she definitely has melted my heart.

Positive thoughts and puppy love

You're whipped now, FMP ;) How is Socrates doing?

Fishmanpa
02-05-21, 18:48
You're whipped now, FMP ;) How is Socrates doing?

Incredibly well actually (see the photo). They say it takes up to several weeks to introduce new pets but we've been well above the curve. It was smell first for a day (no negative reaction) then visual intros (more curiosity than anything). After a couple of days, I was in the 2nd bedroom with Tasha and Socrates was scratching on the door wanting to come in. At that point we figured, 'Let's give it a shot'. Since then, there have been several times in the last 4-5 days that he's walked up to her and they've touched noses. He's also been cuddling with me on my chair and she's been right up next to him on the floor at my feet. She went up to him last night while he was on the chair and licked his foot and he didn't flinch. Of course he has his 'I don't want to be bothered' moments and will go to another part of the house to chill but she's 100% non-aggressive and just wants to be friends. We even ended up putting their food in the same room (kitchen) on different sides and she doesn't mess with his food at all.

The first few days he was obviously stressed as he was shedding quite a bit but that's stopped and he's pretty chill now. Best case, they'll be snuggle buddies and worst case they'll be a peaceful co-existence. We did our shopping today and she was crated when we left. When we got home, Socrates was on the chair looking out the window so he was in the same room the whole time. He really seems to have taken things in stride. Right now he's with me cuddling and Tasha is upstairs sleeping in her bed next to my wife.

Positive thoughts

Melonpony
03-05-21, 21:27
My wife has been wanting a doggie for ages. We've had our Pixie Bob cat for 10 years. He's always been a social cat and a pretty chill dude but he's the been an 'only child' so to speak and definitely the king of the house. I've been reading about this scenario and the consensus seems to be to find an older dog that's just as chill and is familiar with cats.

So... we've been in contact with a few shelters, have applications in and are cleared to adopt. One of them contacted us with a dog they think would suit the bill. He's a senior, 11 year old terrier named Diesel. Cute little guy and only 14 pounds (Socrates is bigger than that at 17+ pounds). Turns out the owners had a baby and the dog was very jealous so they gave him up. He's fully trained, housebroken etc. and in excellent health. He's at a veterinary clinic about an hour from us and they said he's been pretty chill with the resident cats so that's a plus. We're just waiting to hear back to set up a time to meet him.

We think it would be awesome if things work out as both the doggie and our cat are seniors and would have a quiet loving home to spend the remainder of their lives which realistically is around 5-7 years. The key is going to be how Socrates reacts. It would be good for all involved and help get me off my rear to take him for walks and play etc. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Positive thoughts

I'm excited for you all! Yey!Good luck, fishmanpa! I know it'll be a great choice!

Fishmanpa
07-05-21, 13:31

UPDATE: Things are going great with Tasha! Socrates and her are getting along fine. Not cuddle buddies mind you, but a very peaceful co-existence and they're slowly but surely becoming friends. Tasha came to us knowing 'sit' and now she knows 'down', 'up', 'shake' and 'other paw'. She instinctively plays fetch and now knows 'leave it' so I can throw the toy again. We started working on 'stay' and 'come'. We need some work on walking outside as she's still very timid and gets distracted by all the sights, sounds and smells. We haven't had a potty incident since the 2nd day and she gives us signals when she needs to go out (a little whimper or she'll walk to the door and stand there) but we have a schedule anyway and it works.

Tomorrow will be two weeks and she has gained 4 pounds since April 22nd. We need to get her another harness and the collar we bought her has one more notch left! They say to double the size at 16 weeks and that will be a good estimate for her full grown size so she'll be between 40-50lbs and around over 25" at the shoulder.

Truly though, she is a very sweet doggie. Curiously, we haven't heard her actually bark yet! She does whine and bark when we crate her and we're going out but I've yet to hear anything other than a little 'woof' under her breath when she heard something outside. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough ;)

Positive thoughts

Scass
07-05-21, 19:49
Sounds like she picked you well [emoji846]

AntsyVee
08-05-21, 17:51
I love that picture!!!

I'm not surprised that she doesn't bark much. Lots of dogs who are raised only with cats, and there are no other dogs nearby for them to hear barking, will not bark as much as other dogs. As pack animals, they pick up on the cues of the alpha. If Socrates is the alpha, then she's going to follow his lead.

Fishmanpa
08-05-21, 21:08
I love that picture!!!

I'm not surprised that she doesn't bark much. Lots of dogs who are raised only with cats, and there are no other dogs nearby for them to hear barking, will not bark as much as other dogs. As pack animals, they pick up on the cues of the alpha. If Socrates is the alpha, then she's going to follow his lead.

Socrates is definitely the 'alpha'. He made that known once and she fell right in line. Thing is, she's been with other dogs in her foster home yet again, I've not heard her bark proper. I'm sure it will come though ;) It's funny... she wants to be friendlier and Socrates has set limits for now. She whines and cries when he doesn't want to play. I have a feeling they will be buddy buddy in a month or two :)

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa
09-05-21, 00:54
We adopted Tasha at 4 months old. We 1st met her at a little over 3 months old and we applied for her when she was around 8 weeks old. Here's the pic of her that was on the rescue's website and I think it's pretty easy to see why we fell for her and applied :)

What a cutie!

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
09-05-21, 18:34
Socrates is definitely the 'alpha'. He made that known once and she fell right in line. Thing is, she's been with other dogs in her foster home yet again, I've not heard her bark proper. I'm sure it will come though ;) It's funny... she wants to be friendlier and Socrates has set limits for now. She whines and cries when he doesn't want to play. I have a feeling they will be buddy buddy in a month or two :)

Positive thoughts

Have you tried using the laser pointer with them? Or a ball that they can chase around on the floor? That might start them playing together.

Fishmanpa
10-05-21, 14:12
Have you tried using the laser pointer with them? Or a ball that they can chase around on the floor? That might start them playing together.

I haven't but they are warming up slowly but surely. The mornings are snuggle time and I have them both on the recliner with me. Opposite sides of my legs but they often are sniffing so it's getting there. Socrates has no issue being around her but when she gets the zoomies, he just gets out of the way and looks at her like she's crazy ~lol~

We're heading to the store today as she has outgrown her harness and she's on the last notch of her collar! She's growing fast!

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa
10-05-21, 21:37
We're heading to the store today as she has outgrown her harness and she's on the last notch of her collar! She's growing fast!

We just weighed her. She's now at 26lbs! She was 18.4lbs a little over two weeks ago! She's visibly larger and obviously growing out of the original collar and harness. Just ordered new ones. According to an online size calculator, she'll end up being close to 50lbs full grown. Today, again, my wife took her out for her early morning walk and when she got back, she took the leash off and went to feed her. Instead of going straight to the food, she came up to the bedroom and I was awakened by excited puppy kisses and snuggles. I'm not a morning person at all but I can't get fussy with the way she loves on me :)

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa
17-05-21, 02:00
UPDATE: Tasha has been with us for three weeks. She'll be 5 months old next week. She's gone from 18.5lbs to over 26lbs and is still growing! Things are good with her and Socrates although she's gotten a little bolder in approaching him, he stands his ground and displays his alpha dominance and she backs off. She really just wants to play but Socrates wants no part of it. Otherwise, it's a peaceful co-existence.

This is the first dog I've had since my 20's and a puppy at that. While it certainly is a lot of work and like having a child in the house, the rewards are ten fold. She really is a sweet, loving and goofy girl and we've really come to love her. It's cool too... when we're walking her, so many people comment on how beautiful she is and ask about her heritage.

One thing we have to figure out is her eating. We've yet to find a food she really likes. I've had to buy canned food and mix it with the kibble to get her to eat sometimes and my wife has made rice and chicken (which she gobbles up!). We've tried two different foods so far and we'll go for a third this week. I think I'm going to try Hill's Science Diet this time around.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
17-05-21, 06:45
UPDATE: Tasha has been with us for three weeks. She'll be 5 months old next week. She's gone from 18.5lbs to over 26lbs and is still growing! Things are good with her and Socrates although she's gotten a little bolder in approaching him, he stands his ground and displays his alpha dominance and she backs off. She really just wants to play but Socrates wants no part of it. Otherwise, it's a peaceful co-existence.

This is the first dog I've had since my 20's and a puppy at that. While it certainly is a lot of work and like having a child in the house, the rewards are ten fold. She really is a sweet, loving and goofy girl and we've really come to love her. It's cool too... when we're walking her, so many people comment on how beautiful she is and ask about her heritage.

One thing we have to figure out is her eating. We've yet to find a food she really likes. I've had to buy canned food and mix it with the kibble to get her to eat sometimes and my wife has made rice and chicken (which she gobbles up!). We've tried two different foods so far and we'll go for a third this week. I think I'm going to try Hill's Science Diet this time around.

Positive thoughts

Check out Nulo. It’s really healthy food.

Fishmanpa
18-05-21, 20:01
Check out Nulo. It’s really healthy food.

I looked it up and yeah, it's worth a try as we try to figure out what she'll readily eat. She's been doing better with the Whole Foods Chicken and Salmon kibble but Socrates likes it too ~lol~ It's not bad for him but he needs to stick to his Royal Canin Sensitive Digestion and raw chicken diet.

We have a few more days worth of the Whole Foods and we'll see how it goes. Otherwise, she really is doing great. I take her with me in the car when I'm dropping off my wife and running small errands and she does great. She lets us know when she has to go out (sits at the door and whines) and has no issues with the crate. We had our fence upgraded in the backyard from 4' to 6' and now, in addition to the privacy (and not having to look at the mess on either side of us), she has a place she can run wild and she certainly takes advantage of it! I just had her out and she did her business and had the zoomies for a bit. She's now fast asleep at my feet surrounded by all her toys (which she takes up and down the stairs every day :)) Like I said, I really think fate had something to do with getting her and she's proving that point daily.

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa
24-05-21, 17:46
UPDATE! YAY! She likes Hills Science Diet (small bites). It's a chicken and barley kibble and the kibbles are smaller. She gets 2.5 cups a day split morning and night and has been cleaning her bowl. Thankfully, she's not inhaling it. She just finished her morning serving after her walk and she's passed out on her bed at my feet.

She's doing great and growing! She's 30lbs already and she just turned 5 months. I have a feeling she's going to be a large lady when all is said and done but we'll see.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
24-05-21, 23:12
Watch her poops with the science diet. Even though it's "vet recommended"...it's recommended because vets get kick-backs for selling it. It's no better than Iams or MeowMix or Friskies or any of the other "McDonalds" for pets LOL If you look at the ingredients, it's got a lot of by-product in them. If her poops get too runny, switch up to a healthier food.

Fishmanpa
25-05-21, 00:56
Watch her poops with the science diet. Even though it's "vet recommended"...it's recommended because vets get kick-backs for selling it. It's no better than Iams or MeowMix or Friskies or any of the other "McDonalds" for pets LOL If you look at the ingredients, it's got a lot of by-product in them. If her poops get too runny, switch up to a healthier food.

Poopies have been fine. I did examine the ingredients and read a lot of reviews prior to trying and our vet recommended it as well.

Positive thoughts

.Poppy.
25-05-21, 17:05
IMO, there are a lot of opinions around dog food and there are major drawbacks to the boutique brands too. If she does well on Science Diet, stick with it. My boy eats Purina ONE for joint health because he struggles with arthritis and he's super picky and won't eat just anything. I'm happy with it because he does well and vet says it's a good choice; also meets WSAVA guidelines.

She must be growing so fast! Puppies can be so exciting. :D

Fishmanpa
25-05-21, 17:40
If she does well on Science Diet, stick with it.....She must be growing so fast! Puppies can be so exciting. :D

Yeah, so far so good and she seems to really like it too. Today is one month since we brought her home. She was 18.5lbs then and she hit 30lbs the other day. She's losing the 'puppy' look too and turning into a pretty young lady. Every time I have her out, people always stop and comment on how pretty and unique she is, asking what breed. She definitely has Aussie Cattle Dog markings but she's a 'supermutt' for sure. We just had her down to the dog park and she got her zoomies out playing with a few other dogs and playing fetch with sticks and is now totally passed out on her bed surrounded by all her toys!

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa
11-06-21, 17:16
Had a, shall we say, interesting day with Tasha yesterday. I took her to the dog park after I dropped my wife off at work and ran into a couple that had a male dog just around a year old. They were right behind us. Tasha kept looking back getting distracted so I stopped and let them catch up. He was a bigger guy, say around 50 pounds or so (the size Tasha will end up being). They greeted each other and right off they both wanted to play. So we walked to the doggie runs and went to the large dog area. (I had been taking her to the small dog area because she's a puppy). We get in, take them off the leash and off they went. Big time zoomies and having fun.

Then it happened. I had taken out my phone to record them playing and BAM! They both came running and crashed into the outside side of my left knee. I saw stars and hit the ground hard! That was some pain let me tell you! The couple came over to help and I sat there for a couple of minutes gathering myself. I was able to get up and walk over to a bench. I sat for a while, let the dogs play and then walked back to the car. It was really sore and felt a bit unstable at points. I came home, took some ibuprofen and immediately put ice on it. It hurt for sure but today? Uggghhh... really sore. Its just a little swollen in the medial area but I'm able to get around, albeit gingerly. I've been wearing an elastic brace and that helps. I think it's a sprain as it matches the symptoms so we'll see. I'm going to continue to ice it down and apply a prescription topical gel I have and give it a few more days. If it's still as bad as it is now in a couple of days, I'll call the doctor. Fun stuff eh?

Otherwise, things are going really well. It seems she's getting bigger by the day. Her and Socrates get along fine and we have a very peaceful co-existence. I've been working with her training and that's going well as she's an extremely smart doggie. The only thing is she's gets very easily distracted when we're outside and it's hard to get her to focus, even with a treat. She does 'stay' and 'come' when we're in the backyard but in the park when there are people around, it's a bit more challenging. We'll keep working on it and I think we'll sign up for training after she's spayed at the end of the month.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
11-06-21, 17:32
Yeah, FMP, I wouldn't have any more trips to the dog park w/o having her spayed first. Just because she's not in heat doesn't mean a male dog won't get some lovin'.

Hopefully your knee will get better in a few days. You may have twisted it a bit.

Fishmanpa
11-06-21, 19:46
Yeah, FMP, I wouldn't have any more trips to the dog park w/o having her spayed first. Just because she's not in heat doesn't mean a male dog won't get some lovin'.

Hopefully your knee will get better in a few days. You may have twisted it a bit.

I'm not concerned about a male dog. She's played with plenty of male dogs in the park and they're not looking for a shag. They just want to play too. The owners are there and we can corral them if need be. Besides, she's so darn fast and athletic that she runs circles around most of the doggies she plays with. They end up conking out panting and she's still raring to go ~lol~

Yeah... the knee is REALLY sore (and I'm not one to complain either). Like I said, I'll give it a few days, ice it, use the topical and take ibuprofen and we'll see.

Positive thoughts

jojo2316
11-06-21, 20:46
Ooooowwwwwch! Poor you FMP. Dogs hitting knees at the wrong angle can do serious damage. Hope you feel better soon xxx

Fishmanpa
11-06-21, 21:03
Ooooowwwwwch! Poor you FMP. Dogs hitting knees at the wrong angle can do serious damage. Hope you feel better soon xxx

Thanks JoJo.... So yeah... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-18KtPnPCzI&ab_channel=AnimalArmada)

FMP

Scass
12-06-21, 02:37
Ouch your poor knee! Hope it’s better soon.

Fishmanpa
15-06-21, 17:46
Ok... 5 days out and while it's still sore, it's definitely better. I think it's a torn meniscus based on where I got hit, where it hurts and the symptoms (clicks and pain with certain twisting movements, painful to the touch etc.). No swelling though and I'm able to walk around, bend and straighten it with no pain. Just have to take my time is all. I'll give it another week and see where I'm at. Just icing it regularly, wearing an elastic brace and taking ibuprofen.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
15-06-21, 18:22
If it is a torn meniscus, some tears can heal on their own as long as they aren't too big. It's it's a big tear, it's an MRI and then arthroscopic surgery. I speak from experience :/

Scass
15-06-21, 20:30
I fell on my knee last year and couldn’t straighten it for about 4 weeks. It was horrible at the time but then it just got better. Hope you’re does soon too.

Fishmanpa
15-06-21, 20:56
Thanks... Yeah... I've already read about worse case scenarios. It can take 6-8 weeks to totally heal. When it happened, I didn't hear a pop or anything, just excruciating pain for a few minutes. I was able to get up and walk over to a bench and then walk 1/4 mile back to the car. I iced it as soon as I got home and there was very little swelling. Like I said, I can straighten it, squat down, negotiate steps and such.

We'll see. I'll give it some time, continue icing it a few times a day, use the topical and wear the elastic support. If it's not much better by the end of the month, I'll call the doctor. We're due for our yearly physicals anyway so....

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
15-06-21, 21:12
Yeah, the best thing will be to stay off of it and just let it be and see how much you can heal it naturally. Remember, good proteins, foods rich in fiber, zinc and vitamin C aide in healing, so make sure you're keeping your diet as healthy as possible.

Fishmanpa
15-06-21, 21:23
Yeah, the best thing will be to stay off of it and just let it be and see how much you can heal it naturally. Remember, good proteins, foods rich in fiber, zinc and vitamin C aide in healing, so make sure you're keeping your diet as healthy as possible.

Thanks AV... we always eat pretty healthy, take supplements etc. :)

Positive thoughts

.Poppy.
15-06-21, 21:35
Ouch! I don't know much about human knees but I know entirely too much about dog knees after my dog's surgery last year :roflmao:

Nice to hear Tasha is doing well! My dog is 7 and he's very smart but still struggles with focus, I think he has ADHD on top of all of his other issues, lol.

Fishmanpa
15-06-21, 22:36
Ouch! I don't know much about human knees but I know entirely too much about dog knees after my dog's surgery last year :roflmao:

Nice to hear Tasha is doing well! My dog is 7 and he's very smart but still struggles with focus, I think he has ADHD on top of all of his other issues, lol.

When we're home, Tasha is incredibly focused and treat motivated. She's very smart and learns quick but that all goes out the window when we're out. She's very easily distracted by everything around her... sounds, sights, smells, people, other dogs etc. Treats sometimes work but when she's set on something, it's like she's in a trance or something! ~lol~ But we're getting there.

She's getting spayed and chipped in a couple weeks and I think we'll sign her up for some training. She could learn as well as my wife and I. Her latest (and funny thing) is grabbing the leash in her mouth and walking us! She seems so proud doing it too!

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa
21-06-21, 22:16
Things are going well. Tasha is really turning out to be a great doggie. She goes in to be spayed and chipped next week. She'll be 6 months old in a couple of days and has doubled in size and weight in the two months we've had her.

The knee (crossing my fingers) is getting better and I think my inkling was correct in that it was just a strain or sprain. Still icing it, applying topical and ibuprofen but definitely better.

All in all, we're having a blast with this crazy girl. She's a sweetheart :)

FMP

AntsyVee
22-06-21, 16:03
Good to hear, FMP!! Happy belated Father's Day, also!

Fishmanpa
26-06-21, 21:56
All is going well. The knee is healing. Still hurts but there's positive progress day by day. Tasha is doing well and growing! She goes in next week to be spayed and chipped. I'm curious to see her 'official' weight as we've estimated 35lbs (weigh ourselves and weigh ourselves holding her). She's really a sweet and loving girl and we really are blessed to have her in our life. She's certainly brought a lot of joy and laughs. Ohhh..... We gave her a middle name. Our Pixie Bob cat is named 'Socrates Ulysses'. We've decided to make Tasha's official middle name 'Elizabeth'. It's funny, today, Socrates was laying on the back of the chair looking out the window and Tasha wanted to get up there with him and I told her 'No, leave him alone'. She insisted and I said 'Tasha Elizabeth... leave him alone!' in a stern voice. She listened and went and laid down in her crate ;) It's funny how the same techniques we used with our children work with our fur babies ;)

FMP

AntsyVee
27-06-21, 07:34
Well, I pulled an FMP. I was running in the yard playing with my cat and my nephew, and tripped, dodged the cat, and wiped out. I caught myself on my knees and left arm. Nothing is broken, but I strained the hell out of that inner tendon that goes from your inner elbow to your wrist. I’m typing this one-handed as I can’t straighten my arm :/

FMP: 0. Vee: 0 Gravity: 2

Scass
27-06-21, 08:00
Glad your knee is on the mend FMP.
Oh Vee! Hope you don’t feel too bad for long.

Fishmanpa
27-06-21, 13:40
Well, I pulled an FMP. I was running in the yard playing with my cat and my nephew, and tripped, dodged the cat, and wiped out. I caught myself on my knees and left arm. Nothing is broken, but I strained the hell out of that inner tendon that goes from your inner elbow to your wrist. I’m typing this one-handed as I can’t straighten my arm :/

FMP: 0. Vee: 0 Gravity: 2

Pulled a FMP eh? :shades: That sucks Vee... you know the drill... Ice, ibuprofen and topicals. Yesterday my wife was walking Tasha and they ran into a person walking their chihuahua. Tasha got all excited and wanted to play. I'm not sure exactly what happened but she ended up falling on her butt right on the coccyx! She needs a pillow to sit!

Thanks Scass... definitely feeling better. It's been a little over two weeks and I know it can take 6-8 weeks to fully heal. I lucked out on this one :)

FMP

Fishmanpa
30-06-21, 19:16
So Tasha got spayed and chipped yesterday. She did well with the surgery but she's been pretty much out of it from the pain meds and has been sleeping a lot. But she's eating, drinking and going potty so we're good :) We have to keep her chill for the next week to help with healing and she'll go back to have the sutures removed in around 10 days.

It's interesting too in that Socrates seems to sense she's not feeling well and has gone over to her several times as if he's checking up on her :hugs:

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
30-06-21, 19:28
Thanks guys! Today is my first day being able to type with two hands again! LOL

That's so cute about Socrates! He's being a good nurse :yesyes:

Fishmanpa
02-07-21, 15:09
Thanks guys! Today is my first day being able to type with two hands again! LOL

That's so cute about Socrates! He's being a good nurse :yesyes:

Glad you're feeling better Vee.... I feel like I hit a brick wall with the knee. It's certainly better after three weeks but something just isn't right. I'm going to give it a few more weeks as it typically takes 6-8 weeks to heal. If it's still giving me issues after that I'll bite the bullet and get it checked out.

We're three days out from surgery on the girlie and she's doing good. They outfitted her with a body suit to keep her from getting to the incision and the sutures are healing well. I think I'm going to take that off of her this weekend. She's been on pain meds every 12 hours and we have one dose left. We've purposely allowed that 12 hours to grow by a few hours and she's done fine. We have one dose left and she'll get that later today.

And yeah... Socrates has been much more tolerant of her the last few days. He was on the chair looking out the window and she got up on the chair, put her face right into him and other than having a look of total disgust on his face, he just let her nuzzle him. Usually, he'll swat her away but he definitely senses something different.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
02-07-21, 18:23
Glad you're feeling better Vee.... I feel like I hit a brick wall with the knee. It's certainly better after three weeks but something just isn't right. I'm going to give it a few more weeks as it typically takes 6-8 weeks to heal. If it's still giving me issues after that I'll bite the bullet and get it checked out.

We're three days out from surgery on the girlie and she's doing good. They outfitted her with a body suit to keep her from getting to the incision and the sutures are healing well. I think I'm going to take that off of her this weekend. She's been on pain meds every 12 hours and we have one dose left. We've purposely allowed that 12 hours to grow by a few hours and she's done fine. We have one dose left and she'll get that later today.

And yeah... Socrates has been much more tolerant of her the last few days. He was on the chair looking out the window and she got up on the chair, put her face right into him and other than having a look of total disgust on his face, he just let her nuzzle him. Usually, he'll swat her away but he definitely senses something different.

Positive thoughts

Yeah, it's been a week since I wiped out, but I'm still in the wrist brace. Doc told me it could take up to 8 weeks to feel completely normal again just like your knee :/ Which makes me mad at myself because I have a lot of things around the house that I wanted to get done.

I'm glad Tasha is on the mend. Yes, animals can sense injuries. Mine have been very careful of my arm.

Fishmanpa
13-07-21, 12:21
So Tasha did great with her spay. Had the stiches out last Saturday. We still have to keep her relatively calm but she's doing great. Should be able to let her get zoomies out by the weekend. Getting so big too! She's a very sweet doggie, has no issues with the crate, house trained, smart (although we do need to get her some obedience training) and as loving as she can be. She's a wonderful addition to our family :)

We had a friend stop by the other day and she still has that timid, very cautious approach to new people she meets. She went up to him but was very cautious and backed away when she felt he was being too friendly. But within 15 minutes or so as she sensed all was good, she was fine. I think socialization skills will help with the training.

Positive thoughts

.Poppy.
13-07-21, 18:45
Training class will probably help. Another thing to try is to have guests ignore her (not even eye contact) but drop treats. Treats will build up a positive association with strangers, being ignored takes the pressure off of her. As she starts to warm up, slowly have them offer a hand for her to sniff, or a scratch under the chin, still keeping eye contact minimal and rewarding any bravery she shows. She may also be in a fear period.

Good to hear she got through the spay - I remember when my girl pup was spayed she was so tired and so sore she fell asleep standing up. I've now been through a few surgeries with my boy who has all the issues and it's always hard at first but so awesome once you get through those first few days :yesyes:

Fishmanpa
25-07-21, 19:29
UPDATE: Just weighed the girl and she's 40lbs! :scared15: She's going to be a big girl! She really is a sweet doggie though. Well behaved and smart as a whip! It's interesting... This is the first dog I've had since my 20's and I had forgotten how totally unique they are. I'm truly enjoying having her in our lives :)

Positive thoughts

jojo2316
25-07-21, 21:25
Please can you post us an up to date pic?? X

Fishmanpa
25-07-21, 22:19
Try this
https://imgur.com/UY14urDhttps://imgur.com/UY14urD

https://imgur.com/UY14urD
https://imgur.com/UY14urDhttps://imgur.com/UY14urD

Positive thoughts

jojo2316
26-07-21, 07:24
She’s beautiful! I wonder if she has pointer in her? Not quite the small dog you thought you were getting though….,!

jojo2316
26-07-21, 07:41
Here is my rescue dog Ida, who was a street dog from Eastern Europe with her friend Rosie (who has the long hair)5392

Fishmanpa
26-07-21, 12:28
Here is my rescue dog Ida, who was a street dog from Eastern Europe with her friend Rosie (who has the long hair)

Beautiful! How did you get the photo to post? It wouldn't upload my image.

She's mostly Australian Cattle Dog with Pittie, German Shepherd and Boxer thrown into the mix.... Essentially a supermutt. So no... she's not the small dog we initially were looking for. In fact, she'll end up being the complete opposite. My wife wanted a walking buddy that could do her walks and hikes with her. She typically walks 3+ miles a day and a small dog wouldn't be able to keep up with that. Tasha is very athletic and now that she's getting older she's been able to do some of those longer walks. By the time she's a year old, it will be a piece of cake. Also, a doggie of that size will offer some protection to her as well. Yeah, it's a little more challenging as our place is small and a 40+lb doggie with zoomies inside the house is a trip to say the least (she will literally throw herself own the stairs on her belly playing and chasing her toys!), we wouldn't trade her for the world. She's truly a sweet girl and most importantly, we have a peaceful co-existence between her and Socrates.

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa
15-08-21, 22:49
Making progress... :)

https://imgur.com/x24MeSi

FMP

jojo2316
16-08-21, 07:31
This is adorable!! And love the bed spread!

glassgirlw
16-08-21, 11:46
I understand about big doggies and zoomies in the house :roflmao: my three goofballs get them regularly lol. Here’s a pic of two of them, the third was off hoarding all the toys lol.5408

Fishmanpa
16-08-21, 12:27
I understand about big doggies and zoomies in the house :roflmao: my three goofballs get them regularly lol. Here’s a pic of two of them, the third was off hoarding all the toys lol.5408

Wow... German Shepherds! Tasha's Mom was a GS mix but she doesn't have a lot of GS in her and we actually got her from a German Shepherd rescue group. I had a Shepherd/Collie mix when I was in my 20's. She was a sweet girl but what a handful! But yeah... when she gets the Zoomies it sounds like the house is coming down! ~lol~

FMP

glassgirlw
17-08-21, 01:46
Yes!!! My husband always likes to say we rescued a herd of elephants :roflmao: love them all to pieces though. Life would be pretty boring around here without them haha

Catkins
08-10-21, 09:12
Just coming for a furry update. My dog has been for her morning walk and is back to snoring on the sofa.

Fishmanpa
09-10-21, 13:24
Just coming for a furry update. My dog has been for her morning walk and is back to snoring on the sofa.

Tasha is doing great. My wife gets up early and goes for her morning walks ( a couple miles) with her. She's 9 months old now and approaching her mature size. She currently weighs in a close to 50 pounds so she's not a small doggie and she has no clue how big she is. We have a small place so it gets interesting. The only challenge has been getting her to eat. After consulting with the vet (she's totally healthy) and several dog owners (a couple of which are trainers), we've put her on a schedule. No more trying this or that either. She has a food she's eaten and likes and gets it from 8am until 11am. If she doesn't eat, tuff poo. When she's hungry enough she'll eat. Been doing that the last few weeks and she's learning ;)

Other than that everything is good with her. She's crashed out on the sofa as I type this. I go to work later so I take her with me when I drop my wife off at work, then stop at the park for a short walk, pee and poo, then back to the house where she pretty much crashes. She's totally house and crate trained so there are no real issues. Sans a couple of things, she's not been destructive at all. She has her bones which she loves! BTW, there's a brand of chew bones which she loves and they're much better than rawhide. They're called 'Pork Chomps' and they're made with pork skin and 99.9% digestible. She especially loves the roasted flavor.

So all is well with her as well as Socrates. While the two of them are not buddy buddy, they have a very peaceful co-existence. He's curled up on the chair with me now :)

FMP

Catkins
10-10-21, 11:59
It's worked out wonderfully!

We tried Molly with rawhide chews and she always ended up choking on them so we avoid them now. I often wonder if we'd found something more suitable it would have helped her keep more of her teeth. Now she's 11 minus quite a few teeth missing. But she's happy.

Weirdest thing today though, my husband announced that he'd been talking to a woman who has some puppies about getting one from her. Completely threw me, I'd always said I thought we should have another one. But to be suddenly presented with it as a possibility and I don't know what to think.

Carnation
10-10-21, 14:01
I'm so pleased the relatively new addition has settled in. I must admit I was a little worried how Socrates was going to be, but looks like that won't be an issue. :yesyes:

Fishmanpa
31-10-21, 21:30
The girl just hit 10 months old last week. She's now 50lbs! Probably as big as she'll get but she's a big girl for sure and has no idea how big she is ~lol~ She's very strong, fit and athletic. I take her out on the yard and she gets her zoomies in daily. Fast as all get out!

A pic of this afternoon. Brother and Sister totally chilling out :)

FMP

Carnation
01-11-21, 00:25
Aww. That's one mighty sized cat FMP.
Great picture of the two of them together.

Catkins
01-11-21, 08:00
Awww what sweeties!

Fishmanpa
01-11-21, 15:07
Aww. That's one mighty sized cat FMP.
Great picture of the two of them together.

Yes Carnation, he's a big boy. He's a very solid 17lbs. His Dad was over 20lbs. As big as Tasha is, he's definitely the alpha of the house and they get along well. A peaceful co-existence.

FMP

Fishmanpa
09-12-21, 12:40
Thank you :) Tasha isn't a terrier, that's for sure! We think she's mostly Australian Cattle Dog. Mom was mostly German Shepherd. Santa is bringing a DNA test for Christmas so we'll get a better idea once we do that. If you're looking to adopt, join a couple of rescues. We were very happy with the one we ended up adopting from. We had a case worker that alerted us of pups that met our criteria. We actually saw Tasha at a meet and greet at a Petco. My wife fell in love with her. She was on a list to adopt so we kept looking but then, the family that was on the list for her decided on another pup and it was a no brainer. She'll be a year old at Christmas and has topped off at 50lbs. She's truly a very good a sweet girl :)

FMP

Fishmanpa
27-12-21, 12:47
Our little lady turned one year old on the 24th. She's officially grown up. Still holding at 50lbs and a very sweet girl. We'll be doing the DNA test on her to see what she's made of soon :) Here's a pic of her in the coat my wife made her :)

FMP

Catkins
28-12-21, 20:28
She is gorgeous!! And that is a mighty fine coat 😁

Fishmanpa
01-01-22, 17:40
Freshly bathed and playing with Mommy... Look at how athletically built she is! 50lbs of solid muscle!

FMP

jojo2316
01-01-22, 19:39
Wow! And you thought you were getting a little doggie! Xx Happy new year FMP xxx

Scass
01-01-22, 21:02
She’s such a pretty girl

Fishmanpa
03-01-22, 18:02
Tasha's first snow! She didn't know quite what to make of that white stuff falling from the sky but she liked it!

FMP

glassgirlw
03-01-22, 20:15
I’m loving her hoodie!!!!!

Fishmanpa
03-01-22, 22:50
I’m loving her hoodie!!!!!

That's one we picked up at Walmart that actually fits her. That's actually on top of the one my wife made as it's pretty water resistant. She's been whiney and talky all day and wanting to go out in the snow. Who would have thought? She doesn't like rainy wet weather but the snow? It's like a toy to her! We let her out and next thing you know she's running and playing in the snow! Silly girl!

She's a piece of work for sure. We're very blessed in that she has a very sweet, quirky and loving personality. My wife and I were just talking about it as we met her at a meet and greet at Petco when she was 3 months old. My wife fell in love with her and I have to admit, she took my heart then too. She was sweet, somewhat shy and loving. At the time, she was already on a waiting list to be adopted. When we found out the family who was on the list decided on another doggie, it was a no brainer. To be honest, we weren't expecting to adopt a big doggie, its worked out quite well. Our place is small but she and we have adapted well. And the fact she's a bigger active dog has been great for my wife and her walks and hikes and I have a blast playing with her in the yard and getting her zoomies out. Best of all, we have a very peaceful and respectful co-existence with our boy Socrates. She respects him and he tolerates her, as goofy as she is.

My wife has been wanting a doggie since we've been together and while I was hesitant to bring another furry child into our family, I have no regrets. She has brought us an abundance of love, laughs and smiles.

And TBH, just as Socrates has brought peace to my heart during the toughest of times (he was my bud through all my health issues), Tasha is doing the same and more for both of us. I truly would recommend to the the anxiety sufferers here, a furry friend brings much needed relief and comfort for stressful times and situations. And adoption does wonders for all involved.

FMP

glassgirlw
03-01-22, 22:57
I 100% agree with the mental health benefits of pet ownership. There are days that my crazy pack drives me nuts (three German shepherds ranging from 65-95 lbs), I wouldn’t trade them for the world. I’m so glad that y’all found Tasha and that she’s been such a great addition to your home!!!

Fishmanpa
15-02-22, 12:33
The results are in! She's a Super Mutt!

Positive thoughts!

Iwant2bhealthy
15-02-22, 12:51
Mutts are the best! :)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

.Poppy.
15-02-22, 14:44
Oh wow, she's got a lot in there! And the top breeds are not ones I would have guessed, aside from maybe APBT. Dog genetics can be crazy! :D

Fishmanpa
15-02-22, 23:32
Oh wow, she's got a lot in there! And the top breeds are not ones I would have guessed, aside from maybe APBT. Dog genetics can be crazy! :D

So..... 7% Alaskan Malamute, 7% Australian Cattle Dog, 5% Boxer, 4% Lab, 4% Siberian Husky, 3% Eskimo Dog, 3% Shar Pei, 3% Border Collie, 3% Golden Retriever, 2% Rottweiler, 2% Staffie, 2% Dachshund, 2% Pekinese, 2% Poodle, 2% Redbone Coonhound, 2% Catahoula Leopard Dog, 1% Cocker Spaniel....

100% Super Mutt and a wonderful doggie!

FMP

Fishmanpa
27-02-22, 18:13
The wife and I were chilling last night and she was with me on the couch. We were looking at photos of the girl and we came across this one of Tasha the day we first saw her at the meet and greet sponsored by the rescue we adopted her from. My wife fell in love from the first look at her and I have to admit she took my heart too when she came over to say hello and planted a timid kiss on my face. I think you can see why by this photo we took of her that day :) What a cutie and she still is ;)

FMP

Darksky
27-02-22, 19:04
I totally agree with pets being good for us in dark times. We’ve all had them and many is the time I’ve been sat outside on a downer and suddenly my cat will come trotting up with his tail held high in greeting. He can make me smile every time and lift my mood. Yes I spoil him and fuss him wayyyyyy too much but that’s how the pair of us roll.

Fishmanpa
27-02-22, 19:21
I totally agree with pets being good for us in dark times. We’ve all had them and many is the time I’ve been sat outside on a downer and suddenly my cat will come trotting up with his tail held high in greeting. He can make me smile every time and lift my mood. Yes I spoil him and fuss him wayyyyyy too much but that’s how the pair of us roll.

I hear you! During my cancer ordeal, our boy Socrates was a knight in furry cat armor! He was glued to my side the entire time and showed me the love and support he instinctively knew I needed and still does to this day. And now with having Tasha? She does the same thing and then some. Their love is unconditional and so very much treasured and appreciated.

FMP

Fishmanpa
13-04-22, 22:19
So...... Yearly wellness exam for Tasha. She's weighing in at 50 pounds, very fit, very healthy! Got her rabies and distemper shots. All good! She was a little shy at first but warmed up to the doctor and got lots of treats :) We're coming up on her 'gotcha day' on April 25th. We're very blessed and fortunate to have such a wonderful doggie :biggrin:

FMP

.Poppy.
14-04-22, 14:38
She's so cute, and looks like a lot of fun!

Fishmanpa
25-04-22, 12:37
Today is Tasha's 'Gotcha' day! She's really turned out to be the best doggie we could have imagined. Sweet, smart, loving, goofy and a dozen more adjectives. We couldn't be more blessed :D

FMP

jojo2316
25-04-22, 12:50
Hurrah for you both and Tasha. She looks like such a happy girl. But not quite the tiny dog you were after initially!!!

Fishmanpa
25-04-22, 13:02
Hurrah for you both and Tasha. She looks like such a happy girl. But not quite the tiny dog you were after initially!!!

I know right?...but I wouldn't have it any other way! She's my wife's walking/hiking buddy and is an incredibly fit and athletic girl. We took her the other week for her annual wellness exam and the vet was impressed by how healthy and fit she is. 50lbs of solid muscle!

FMP

Frosteh
27-04-22, 21:18
I think it's the best thing you can do if you have time for a dog, they're such great little friends. I've currently got 14 Spaniels 😂

Fred545
07-06-22, 18:18
I have two rescue dogs and they have brought so much joy to me and my family. I could not imagine a life without them.
One is a greyhound mixed (https://www.dogbestcare.com/border-collie-greyhound-mix/)with probably a border collie and something else, the other one is a lab mix.