PDA

View Full Version : Riot fears

Lencoboy
22-01-21, 18:58
I have just heard an article on the news this evening (my dad was watching it) about a Black teenage boy being murdered by a gang of youths in the Handsworth area of Birmingham today, and my instant thought was 'does this spell the umpteenth riot in the area, and possibly elsewhere?', especially with recent events in the USA and of course last year's BLM protests worldwide still fresh in people's memories.

I also dread the thought of riots breaking out in Burton on Trent, especially near my day centre, as that particular area has a sizable Asian population, though I've never sensed any obvious tensions there so far.

Of course I also dread the thought of major disturbances occuring in my town (Tamworth), but we don't have a large BAME population here despite being in closer proximity to Birmingham, and of course Tamworth was one of the key overspill destinations for families from the W Mids conurbation in the 60s and 70s, plus we were one of three Staffordshire towns labelled a 'chav' town back in the mid-2000s (the other two being Cannock and, believe it or not, Burton), though our reputation as such a town has generally lessened over recent years, and it was probably just another moral panic blown out of proportion by the media at the time, in a similar sense to Nottingham and its 'Shottingham' label back in the 90s and early 2000s.

That was one of the main reasons why I was previously hesitant in stating where I live on here, for fear of 'town-bashing', but it's never been a full-on 'problem' town though, and we do have a great castle here, and it is a mostly caring community, despite what I said above.

Pamplemousse
22-01-21, 19:35
I just think of piggies and Reliant cars when anyone mentions Tamworth :)

Oh, and the high/low level railway station.

Lencoboy
22-01-21, 20:00
I just think of piggies and Reliant cars when anyone mentions Tamworth :)

Oh, and the high/low level railway station.

Yes, forgot about the Tammie pigs and Reliants.

Lencoboy
22-01-21, 20:18
On the other hand, I bet had that Birmingham murder today instead happened in, say, Burton, the media attention would probably have been kept lower-key, unless it was mega serious (e.g, terror-related), of course.

Lencoboy
23-01-21, 16:19
Well, so far so good.

Lencoboy
26-01-21, 15:55
I know I probably shouldn't be reading it, but there are forum members on Digital Spy right now speculating that riots are inevitable in the UK in the not too distant future, due to people in the Netherlands and Israel rioting against their latest lockdown measures, plus one of them said that in pretty much every decade, riots seem to happen in this country during years ending with the digit '1', which is true, and no doubt by sheer coincidence, though they have been known to occur in years ending with other digits too.

Hope it won't be a 'monkey see, monkey do' situation.

BTW, those posts from people pre-empting imminent riots in this country were posted on a thread speculating about the possibilities of the current UK lockdowns lasting right into July, which so far there have been no suggestions from the govt nor the MSM that they might.

MyNameIsTerry
26-01-21, 19:21
Don't forget asteroids due to hit the earth in certain months. They really are reaching.

I think you need to be wary of the impacts of media on you, LB. Civil unrest happens and there are social & economic tensions that could see it happening now but will it even touch you? Do you live in one of those places?

Please try to retain your logical, rational side over this. You have lots of that in you. Because this used to be a trigger for me too and I learned to dismiss it without avoiding the news. If it's too much a break may be needed but long term being able to read it and dismiss whether it's relevant to you as an individual will mean you can still stay involved without the emotional upset.

Oh, and DS can be a mad place. The Politics board on there is just dripping hatred.

Lencoboy
27-01-21, 01:33
Don't forget asteroids due to hit the earth in certain months. They really are reaching.

I think you need to be wary of the impacts of media on you, LB. Civil unrest happens and there are social & economic tensions that could see it happening now but will it even touch you? Do you live in one of those places?

Please try to retain your logical, rational side over this. You have lots of that in you. Because this used to be a trigger for me too and I learned to dismiss it without avoiding the news. If it's too much a break may be needed but long term being able to read it and dismiss whether it's relevant to you as an individual will mean you can still stay involved without the emotional upset.

Oh, and DS can be a mad place. The Politics board on there is just dripping hatred.

It's more this 'virtue signalling' culture that seems so endemic nowadays, where people feel compelled to jump on the latest bandwagon, especially thanks to the advent of social media.

I mean, look at what happened last year with the panic-buying of toilet rolls in the run-up to the first lockdown, (whose craze allegedly originated from Australia), the tearing down of statues (fuelled by events across the pond), the burning down of 5G masts (due to misinformation and CTs online), plus several other irrational crazes/fads that have abounded over recent years.

Personally I think smashing up and pilfering shops, burning down buildings, etc, in this country would be a total waste of time, especially as virtually nothing positive was gained from it nearly ten years ago when our major cities last went up in flames.

It only causes even more angst, hate and division within our society in the long run, for no real long-term gain IMO.

And whilst all past bouts of widespread rioting in this country have thankfully passed my area by (and Burton), nothing can ever be ruled out in the future, especially as nearly everything seems to be led by what's trending on social media these days.

Just because many Dutch cities are up in flames right now doesn't automatically mean ours should also end up the same.

WiredIncorrectly
27-01-21, 23:08
Call me morbid (better word for this in this context PM?), but I'd love to see a riot in my life time. I wouldn't get involved though. They'd all eventually get jail.

Talking of which I was in jail with a lad involved in the London riots. Remember those? He got 6 years for looting and some violence. He was cookoo. Off his head. You know those people that are constantly running on adrenaline and are constantly in a hyperactive state? That was him. He was a good lad though, he let me borrow his Playstation numerous times in return for a few roll-ups.

Going off track here but I think there's some good in everybody.

Lencoboy
28-01-21, 10:18
Strange how many people refer to the August 2011 riots as simply the 'London' riots. Yes I know they first started in London, but they did rapidly spread to most other major cities across England, plus obviously demonstrates the prevailing 'London-centricity' of the mass media in general!

Oddly (and fortunately), said disturbances seemed to happen in England only and passed both Scotland and Wales by IIRC.

At least both the BBC and Sky News now seem to have gone quiet over the situation in the Netherlands. Perhaps the disturbances there might now be petering out?

WiredIncorrectly
28-01-21, 14:54
Strange how many people refer to the August 2011 riots as simply the 'London' riots. Yes I know they first started in London, but they did rapidly spread to most other major cities across England, plus obviously demonstrates the prevailing 'London-centricity' of the mass media in general!

Oddly (and fortunately), said disturbances seemed to happen in England only and passed both Scotland and Wales by IIRC.

At least both the BBC and Sky News now seem to have gone quiet over the situation in the Netherlands. Perhaps the disturbances there might now be petering out?

I think its more so to not give people in the UK any ideas. Media over here has a non-functioning protocol where they cause fear when it's not warranted, and hide it when it is.

The only reason I called them "London Riots" is because it went south down there quickly. There was a riot in my town at the time but it lasted about 5 minutes before police shut it down if I recall. It was Blackberry Messenger and the large population of London degenerates that were the biggest problems. London is like Dubai, outside the city it's surrounded by s***.

What's your first image of those times? Mine is the burning furniture store.

Lencoboy
28-01-21, 15:45
I think its more so to not give people in the UK any ideas. Media over here has a non-functioning protocol where they cause fear when it's not warranted, and hide it when it is.

The only reason I called them "London Riots" is because it went south down there quickly. There was a riot in my town at the time but it lasted about 5 minutes before police shut it down if I recall. It was Blackberry Messenger and the large population of London degenerates that were the biggest problems. London is like Dubai, outside the city it's surrounded by s***.

What's your first image of those times? Mine is the burning furniture store.

In answer to your first paragraph, you're probably correct in the sense that the media are probably erring on the side of caution by only reporting on the situation in the Netherlands when and where absolutely necessary (if it's still going on of course), and not to unnecessarily overdo it, perhaps a lesson learned from the events of August 2011 (and rightly so IMO).Same also goes for terror-related incidents.

In answer to your last paragraph, I don't specifically recall any 'first' images of that week of sheer terror in this country, though I do vaguely remember my dad watching something on the TV in the evening of 8th August back then (when it was all kicking off in Birmingham and Wolverhampton), which I think was discussing failures of race relations in this country, or something along those lines.

At one point on the following evening (9th August) there were Chinese whispers doing the rounds about problems at the retail park in Tamworth, Staffs (where I live), which fortunately happened to be a false alarm, though our town centre was placed in full lockdown by our local law as a precautionary measure, though again, thankfully nothing actually happened.

Nevertheless, I was still quaking in my boots and felt physically sick the whole time, and seeing the front of the Bullring in Birmingham city centre desecrated by said atrocities, it was like the 1974 Pub Bombings all over again, which occured literally yards from the same site. No doubt a real sense of deja vu for many older Brummies/West Midlanders at the time!

BTW (if you don't mind me asking), what town were you living in at that time? Especially as you mentioned the 'riot' that occurred there only lasted about 5 minutes.

Lencoboy
24-03-21, 04:08
After the 'Kill The Bill' trouble in Bristol again last night, I'm dreading the thought of any disturbances rapidly spreading to other cities and towns, especially my town (Tamworth) and Burton on Trent, where my day centre is, and will be attending tomorrow (Thursday) by train.

Last summer there were BLM demos in both towns (and pretty much every town and city the country and world over), but they were generally peaceful demos, but there already seems to be fears of a potential 'summer of rage' this year, where the slightest thing might trigger people into letting rip.

I recall there being reports of similar fears of possible widespread summer disturbances back in early 2009 at the height of the GFC, which did not actually materialise until August 2011, ironically by which time we seemed to be over the worst of the GFC.

pulisa
24-03-21, 08:07
I've just replied on your other thread in "Misc" and hadn't seen your post on here.

Do you have anyone you can talk to about your anxiety? I'd advise staying away from the news and online forums discussing this topic because it's so triggering for you. Do you have anyone at your Day Centre who you trust and who you could talk to?

Lencoboy
24-03-21, 08:52
I've just replied on your other thread in "Misc" and hadn't seen your post on here.

Do you have anyone you can talk to about your anxiety? I'd advise staying away from the news and online forums discussing this topic because it's so triggering for you. Do you have anyone at your Day Centre who you trust and who you could talk to?

It would be difficult to have chats in private with staff members at my day centre right now obviously because of the Covid situation and the need for them to keep an eye on everyone, plus my dad is already at his wits end with my mom whose dementia is worsening daily and still refuses point blank to have any carers come into the house until this pandemic starts to ease, despite all three of us having had our first jabs 5-7 weeks ago.

Whilst Tamworth (my town of residence) and Burton on Trent (where my day centre is) are probably less significant to the likes of rioters, terrorists, etc, compared to the big cities, the train that I travel on travels to and from several big cities that could be potential targets for trouble.

For instance, the line north-bound of Burton has the cities of Derby and Nottingham, and the same line south-bound of Tamworth has the cities of Birmingham, Worcester, and eventually Bristol itself.

But then again (to put the current situation in perspective), any other time, I guess I could encounter, say, a mob of football hooligans on the train and I'm probably more likely to get mowed down by a bus or truck (or witness it happening to someone else) whilst walking from Burton train station to my day centre than encounter baying mobs of 'KTB' protesters.

And I don't live in constant fear of big hulking vehicles.

Lencoboy
05-04-21, 15:30
I am now constantly ruminating on the disturbances in NI, and dreading the thought of 'copycat' riots breaking out here in England, especially as there is already an air of tension here with the Kill The Bill protests plus punch-ups in various city parks, etc.

The latest article on the BBC website about the NI riots now suggests that the young hooligans involved in the aggro have allegedly been indoctrinated by older adult 'extremists' with (historical) elements/influences of 'The Troubles' involved.

I know said disturbances are more geographically specific, but there does seem to be certain factions here in mainland Britain right now who are no doubt spoiling for full-on riots purely for the sake of it and might use these latest events in NI as the latest in a long line of potential 'triggers'.

It really does seem like NI's 'August 2011' moment right now, almost 10 years later!

MyNameIsTerry
05-04-21, 19:52
Lenco, this is the anxiety talking. The events in NI can happen anytime as it will generations to move on. It's specific to NI and won't spill over to here. Loyalists are unhappy with the sea border, NIP, etc. Their riots will also be worse given where it comes from.

I can't help wondering if KTB was dreamed up with a different meaning? A slant on defunding them.

Pamplemousse
05-04-21, 20:43
Lenco, this is the anxiety talking. The events in NI can happen anytime as it will generations to move on. It's specific to NI and won't spill over to here. Loyalists are unhappy with the sea border, NIP, etc. Their riots will also be worse given where it comes from.

I can't help wondering if KTB was dreamed up with a different meaning? A slant on defunding them.

It's a nonsense; you can't "defund" the police in the UK like you can in the US. The issue with the bill in question is that it all but removes the right to protest in any way, shape or form; even being "a bit noisy" could see you in strife. It is a badly conceived bill, giving this current government extraordinarily far-reaching and authoritarian powers that are all too easy for an unpopular government to exploit and suppress dissent.

The NI riots are specifically an NI issue, but nothing that those of us opposed to Brexit couldn't see coming.

MyNameIsTerry
05-04-21, 21:27
It's a nonsense; you can't "defund" the police in the UK like you can in the US. The issue with the bill in question is that it all but removes the right to protest in any way, shape or form; even being "a bit noisy" could see you in strife. It is a badly conceived bill, giving this current government extraordinarily far-reaching and authoritarian powers that are all too easy for an unpopular government to exploit and suppress dissent.

The NI riots are specifically an NI issue, but nothing that those of us opposed to Brexit couldn't see coming.

Many who voted for Brexit saw it coming too, some cared some didn't, just as many who voted Remain didn't do so for NI either. Forget Brexit, any attempt at a united Ireland was always going to bring it. And forget that as well because these riots have been going on simply because of the differences that didn't go away just because a bit of paper gets signed.

It was always going to be a very difficult change.

United Ireland will just shift the problem to ROI but I expect it to come at some point. I don't think the threat of loyalist violence will stop that but I don't think it should be prevented because of it either.

Pamplemousse
05-04-21, 22:21
Not sure I can entirely agree, Terry; far too many people on the Brexit side were far too concerned about Johnny Foreigner coming in, that their towns were being overrun by Schrödinger's Immigrants simultaneously nicking all their jobs whilst living off all the benefits and getting free houses and 100" plasma TVs, believing Stanley McMurtry's disgusting cartoon in the Mail with the rats pouring in, Farage's rip-off Nazi poster and they just thought the Irish would just fall into line, if they thought about Ireland at all. I believe one or two headbanger Tories said as much!

I could see this coming a mile off; I knew it had the potential to screw up the GFA. Here's hoping we don't suddenly find things going bang on the mainland again. I remember being rather scared of the bombing campaigns on the mainland back in the 70s and 80s - I even got evacuated from a building I was working in after a coded warning back then. Mate of mine heard the bang at Canary Wharf from his house in Bromley...

However; to address Lenco's fears, such unrest becoming widespread is, as far as I can see, without foundation. He can sleep soundly in his bed, I don't think they'll be chucking half-bricks at coppers in Tamworth.

Ever.

MyNameIsTerry
05-04-21, 22:33
I don't think NI was thought about much by anyone but I also think that says more about how it feels as much connected to us as places like Gibraltar. Even less care about them. Remain or Leave it wasn't a big seller like trade, immigration, economy, liberty, etc.

Some knew just as some voting Remain didn't. I just thought it was all forgotten, it's over the water do not about us. I can't remember seeing NI politicians constantly warning us not to play with this fire but I bet that dominated on their side.

But at some point loyalists are going to start up unless generations breed out the hatred over there. Brexit is just one of the events that could cause it. However why should everyone be held to ransom unable to change because of terrorists? Live in status quo out of fear? That's also wrong. It would mean they daren't trigger the border poll and I think that's their right.

I think your point is very fair. How much time did I invest in thinking about it when I was swinging back & forth? Honestly, not much. Looking around my own city I saw more important issues to me. Sounds bad and yes I think I would consider the border solution more now than I did. Whilst the hard Brexit types only look to winning a victory plenty would listen to both sides and accept leaving much bring years of problems.

I agree though, I hope it doesn't return to terrorism & violence. I got evacuated from schools on more than one occasion and i wouldn't want anyone to experience that.

God knows how to resolve that border. We need not to affect the lives of ordinary people, not violent idiots, but then loyalist ideology will never accept any solution. Only reversing Brexit does it but it's still a ticking time bomb until that border poll.

Lencoboy
06-04-21, 00:10
I don't think NI was thought about much by anyone but I also think that says more about how it feels as much connected to us as places like Gibraltar. Even less care about them. Remain or Leave it wasn't a big seller like trade, immigration, economy, liberty, etc.

Some knew just as some voting Remain didn't. I just thought it was all forgotten, it's over the water do not about us. I can't remember seeing NI politicians constantly warning us not to play with this fire but I bet that dominated on their side.

But at some point loyalists are going to start up unless generations breed out the hatred over there. Brexit is just one of the events that could cause it. However why should everyone be held to ransom unable to change because of terrorists? Live in status quo out of fear? That's also wrong. It would mean they daren't trigger the border poll and I think that's their right.

I think your point is very fair. How much time did I invest in thinking about it when I was swinging back & forth? Honestly, not much. Looking around my own city I saw more important issues to me. Sounds bad and yes I think I would consider the border solution more now than I did. Whilst the hard Brexit types only look to winning a victory plenty would listen to both sides and accept leaving much bring years of problems.

I agree though, I hope it doesn't return to terrorism & violence. I got evacuated from schools on more than one occasion and i wouldn't want anyone to experience that.

God knows how to resolve that border. We need not to affect the lives of ordinary people, not violent idiots, but then loyalist ideology will never accept any solution. Only reversing Brexit does it but it's still a ticking time bomb until that border poll.

Strange isn't it that many people nowadays seem to consider the IRA's past activities a walk in the park compared to those of the more contemporary 'terrorist' groups such as ISIS, Al-Qaida etc.

Lencoboy
06-04-21, 00:25
Not sure I can entirely agree, Terry; far too many people on the Brexit side were far too concerned about Johnny Foreigner coming in, that their towns were being overrun by Schrödinger's Immigrants simultaneously nicking all their jobs whilst living off all the benefits and getting free houses and 100" plasma TVs, believing Stanley McMurtry's disgusting cartoon in the Mail with the rats pouring in, Farage's rip-off Nazi poster and they just thought the Irish would just fall into line, if they thought about Ireland at all. I believe one or two headbanger Tories said as much!

I could see this coming a mile off; I knew it had the potential to screw up the GFA. Here's hoping we don't suddenly find things going bang on the mainland again. I remember being rather scared of the bombing campaigns on the mainland back in the 70s and 80s - I even got evacuated from a building I was working in after a coded warning back then. Mate of mine heard the bang at Canary Wharf from his house in Bromley...

However; to address Lenco's fears, such unrest becoming widespread is, as far as I can see, without foundation. He can sleep soundly in his bed, I don't think they'll be chucking half-bricks at coppers in Tamworth.

Ever.

I agree that there is probably very little to be gained by the local yoof in both Tamworth and Burton on Trent lobbing bricks at coppers or going on mass looting, arson and wrecking sprees like they did back in August 2011 (though thankfully not in Staffordshire, in fact, not even Terry's 'manor' of SOT), but unfortunately there are a lot of very disturbed people right now (especially youngsters) and there already were even before this pandemic first kicked off.

MyNameIsTerry
06-04-21, 01:36
One of the joys of living in a city no one cares about is the lack of activism. Even during UKIP last trying to take a Labour seat they had to bus them in.

Geography probably plays it's part for us too as we are so spread out.

Football was always the one around here. Stoke lose and some shopkeeper's window is going to get bricked. Add the alcohol element in their too. I'm too young to remember the battles with the police but my brother was there stuck in them.

Lencoboy
06-04-21, 08:45
One of the joys of living in a city no one cares about is the lack of activism. Even during UKIP last trying to take a Labour seat they had to bus them in.

Geography probably plays it's part for us too as we are so spread out.

Football was always the one around here. Stoke lose and some shopkeeper's window is going to get bricked. Add the alcohol element in their too. I'm too young to remember the battles with the police but my brother was there stuck in them.

Blimey, the very thought of being present at a football match terrifies me big time, for the sake of all the deafening din from the crowd alone, even if there are no hooliganism-related incidents!

I couldn't attend a match in person even if I was being paid a grand up-front to do so.

Ditto for nightclubs once they reopen again, as those places also give me the heebies!

Absolutely feel free to correct me (and chastise me in 'text' form) if I'm wrong, nor do I intend to be having digs, but regarding your first paragraph about your city and its lack of activism, I always had the impression that the Stoke area was historically a hotspot for 'militant' tendencies, though perhaps it might be a bit different nowadays.

Lencoboy
10-04-21, 09:50
Well I've noticed over the past week the media don't appear to have made such a big deal over the Kill The Bill furore, and said city protests appear to have died down a fair bit over the same period.

Still reports of plenty of ongoing aggro in NI right now though, and in Belfast in particular, though obviously for very different reasons to the recent bouts of aggro in Bristol city centre, but both still involving blatant anti-police aggression, and extremists who simply revel in menacing, fighting and gang warfare!

However, yesterday there was a very interesting and thought-provoking article on the BBC website about the 40th anniversary of the first Brixton riot in April 1981, and documented whatever changes have taken place within the intervening period. It was considered a key watershed moment in race relations in the UK, and was aptly dubbed the UK's 'original BLM movement' in the article's title on the BBC website.

Lencoboy
10-04-21, 12:36
Well I've noticed over the past week the media don't appear to have made such a big deal over the Kill The Bill furore, and said city protests appear to have died down a fair bit over the same period.

Still reports of plenty of ongoing aggro in NI right now though, and in Belfast in particular, though obviously for very different reasons to the recent bouts of aggro in Bristol city centre, but both still involving blatant anti-police aggression, and extremists who simply revel in menacing, fighting and gang warfare!

However, yesterday there was a very interesting and thought-provoking article on the BBC website about the 40th anniversary of the first Brixton riot in April 1981, and documented whatever changes have taken place within the intervening period. It was considered a key watershed moment in race relations in the UK, and was aptly dubbed the UK's 'original BLM movement' in the article's title on the BBC website.

It was also mentioned that those disturbances in Brixton and parts of various other major cities throughout this country during 1981 had likely been already brewing for several years (probably since at least the mid-70s), as it wasn't uncommon (in London in particular) for the police to arrest Black people willy-nilly, even if completely innocent, and beat them senseless in the interview rooms down at the local nick (as seen in some of the earlier episodes of 'The Bill') if they struggled to answer any questions.

I bet certain coppers also gleefully did very similar things to people with autism back then (regardless of ethnicity), as I know certain school teachers and likewise staff members certainly certainly did, as what happened to me and a few other kids at the residential school I attended. We Auties were also often fair game for receiving ASBOs back in the 2000s, whilst many of the 'real' yobs often got off scot-free!

But such institutionalised abuse meted out on us Auties by 'authority' figures (apart from the odd extreme cases like Winterbourne View in the late 2000s) has rarely ever received anywhere near the same amount of attention in the national news headlines, as institutional brutality against ethnic minorities, which in itself is beyond sickening and abhorrent.

MyNameIsTerry
10-04-21, 18:33
Coppers corrupt enough to beat you or fit you up would do it to anyone when it served their purpose.

Lencoboy
10-04-21, 19:42
Coppers corrupt enough to beat you or fit you up would do it to anyone when it served their purpose.

Well that's exactly why such people aren't fit to be in the job then.

Typical double standards, especially when they nick people for assault, then end up assaulting those very same people themselves even harder.

Ditto for many school teachers, (especially pre-1986), as you also mentioned that there were quite a few corrupt teachers during your school days, who in turn weren't fit to be in the profession!

Two wrongs don't make a right!

Lencoboy
14-04-21, 10:29
Today my riot fears have suddenly started all over again in earnest as this morning there has been a double whammy of news reports that could serve as potential 'triggers'.

Firstly the report about young Black people in the UK being disproportionately affected by unemployment during this pandemic and pre-existing divisions allegedly widening even further as a consequence.

Secondly, the reports about the current riots in Minneapolis following the fatal shooting of a Black person by a White police officer a few days ago.

Both probably have the potential to cause people to kick off in this country, not only the BLM protesters, but Kill The Bill, and various others.

Having said that, last week's disturbances in NI appear to have died down now, at least for the time being.

Lencoboy
16-04-21, 16:27
Now they're saying that another round of Kill The Bill protests have been planned tomorrow in various cities across the country. I wonder how long before BLM, XR and the EDL all start joining in the rucks?

What's more, there's been another teenager gunned down by plod over in the USA this week (Chicago I think).

I can sense a self-fulfilling prophecy amongst the yoof of this country and I'm really dreading the thought of the UK being ravaged by riots and possibly even terrorist attacks this summer!

I can just imagine a re-worked version of the late 80s hip-hop golden oldie 'F*** The Police' topping the singles charts this summer, 2021's answer to The Specials' 1981 hit 'Ghost Town'!

Lencoboy
17-04-21, 16:02
Well so far there's been no signs of any aggro of any sort in my area today.

Lencoboy
20-04-21, 18:23
Just seen the BLM protesters gathering en masse in Minneapolis on the BBC News this evening, in conjunction with the Derek Chauvin court case, and Minneapolis looks like a garrison right now, with the National Guard patrolling the streets.

I really hope things don't start kicking off here in the UK over the coming days as there are already tensions in the air following the recent Kill The Bill protests, the ongoing volatile situation in NI and now mounting tensions over this European football thing, which people are already desperately seeking to politicise.

Seems like one big issue after another!

FrankT
20-04-21, 23:38
You're right - things just keep getting worse. Anarchy is taking over!

MyNameIsTerry
21-04-21, 06:03
Just seen the BLM protesters gathering en masse in Minneapolis on the BBC News this evening, in conjunction with the Derek Chauvin court case, and Minneapolis looks like a garrison right now, with the National Guard patrolling the streets.

I really hope things don't start kicking off here in the UK over the coming days as there are already tensions in the air following the recent Kill The Bill protests, the ongoing volatile situation in NI and now mounting tensions over this European football thing, which people are already desperately seeking to politicise.

Seems like one big issue after another!

But has it continued here? It all seems to have fizzled out unlike in the US where it's a massive issue.

FrankT
21-04-21, 09:46
But that's the thing - Britain is very much an American ally - where they go, we'll go.

Lencoboy
09-05-21, 08:08
Had two bad nightmares last night about riotous events.

The first was about being at a live show at the Genting Arena at the NEC in Birmingham, there was a power failure with the stage lighting and the arena suddenly erupted into a full-blown riot with audience members wielding machetes and the like, and me and my dad legged it into a disabled toilet together and hid.

The second was about me and my dad being present at some kind of youth training facility somewhere in Birmingham, where the students were violent and aggressive, and all were carrying machetes and then ended up holding us hostage in the premises while they brawled and trashed the place.

The latter dream was probably triggered by me watching an early-ish episode of Brookside from early 1984 on YouTube the other day where Paul Collins was working at a YTS centre in Liverpool, where he was unduly harsh towards one of the students there over his allegedly shoddy work, and when said student got lippy when confronted, Paul Collins had him in his office for a reprimand, then all the other students downed tools in protest at PC's harsh treatment of that one particular student, whom he seemed to have the hump with and singled out.

Feeling really shaky this morning after those dreams and keep ruminating in the prospects of militant youths dominating the headlines, which seemed to be commonplace from the late 70s through the mid 80s in particular.

Lencoboy
21-05-21, 09:37
Just read an article on the BBC website about a major disturbance in Swansea, Wales yesterday evening. Not said to be race-related but more to do with gangs of yobs in the area and a wave of ASB in general, and was allegedly triggered by a vigil for a person in said area who died recently.

Once again, let's hope this doesn't spread to England (and/or Scotland) and isn't gonna be August 2011 all over again!

Lencoboy
01-08-21, 14:30
Just realised with horror that we're now approaching the tenth anniversary of the August 2011 riots, and I'm kind of dreading the thought of the dregs of our society attempting to ape what went on in our major cities back then, especially as many of the social problems in many of the affected areas have unfortunately remained unresolved since then.

But at least Bozzer and Co can't play the blame game on New Labour and their (then) much-fabled 'Broken Britain' this time round if (heaven forbid) it all kicks off again!

Of course, next month will be the twentieth anniversary of 9/11, of which I'm also kind of dreading.

LittleLionMan
01-08-21, 15:33
Why would anyone riot now, about something that happened 10 and 20 years ago? People don't just riot, it's an unbelievably rare occurrence over here.

Lencoboy
02-08-21, 07:03
Why would anyone riot now, about something that happened 10 and 20 years ago? People don't just riot, it's an unbelievably rare occurrence over here.

I agree with you that there wouldn't be any point in people letting rip over the anniversary of 'historical' events, but there are probably more disturbed people now than since records began, who would use any old 'trigger' to kick off.

Same also applies to terrorist attacks.

Lencoboy
13-08-21, 08:09
There was a disturbance in Plymouth yesterday where a lunatic man went on a mass shooting rampage, like Hungerford in 1987.

Terrified of possible copycat incidents elsewhere and even riots in response.

Lencoboy
13-08-21, 12:46
There was a disturbance in Plymouth yesterday where a lunatic man went on a mass shooting rampage, like Hungerford in 1987.

Terrified of possible copycat incidents elsewhere and even riots in response.

On a similar note, I'm rather surprised that Plymouth supposedly escaped the riots of 10 years ago.

Plus the whole of the Devon and Cornwall area luckily seemed to be unaffected by said atrocities back then, unless there were smaller-scale related disturbances in that corner of England that were kept low-key by the media both then and now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way intending to write off Plymouth as a 'problem' city, as surely it must still have a lot of good things about it.

Lencoboy
13-08-21, 20:20
I don't know what's up with me right now but I still can't stop ruminating and obsessing over riots.

I know last night's shooting incident in Plymouth certainly hasn't provoked such events, but I still keep having flashbacks to that week in August 10 years ago when it seemed like civilisation as we know it was about to collapse and (dare I say it) seemed as if this country was on the brink of a full-on war back then!!

pulisa
13-08-21, 20:53
But it wasn't.

Catkins
13-08-21, 21:20
You're going through a rough patch Lenco. Yesterday was a bad day and unfortunately with last nights incident you're anxiety is heightened.

Try to avoid the news for a bit so you can settle again.

MyNameIsTerry
14-08-21, 06:43
But it wasn't.

Exactly, it's purely a perception. Older generations have seen much worse in living memory.

Events like this are rare, Lenco. There are many places in the world where they are frequent. We are fortunate not to live in them.

Things like copy cat spree killers are the stuff of Hollywood. In reality they are incredible rare.

Beware the media inquest. In a few days they will have forgotten all about it.

Lencoboy
14-08-21, 07:20
Exactly, it's purely a perception. Older generations have seen much worse in living memory.

Events like this are rare, Lenco. There are many places in the world where they are frequent. We are fortunate not to live in them.

Things like copy cat spree killers are the stuff of Hollywood. In reality they are incredible rare.

Beware the media inquest. In a few days they will have forgotten all about it.

You're probably right Terry, as far as the media are concerned the Plymouth incident will probably all be water under the bridge in about a week or two.

That's exactly what I thought about similar events in Birmingham (with knives not guns) last September, and I was correct, it's now mostly disappeared from the media altogether.

Ditto for likewise atrocities in Reading and Glasgow last summer (again involving knives not guns).

And as ghastly as the Plymouth incident is, to put it into context and perspective, it's hardly 9/11 or even 7/7 (central London in 2005) all over again.

Nor is it August 2011.

Lencoboy
14-08-21, 15:42
You're probably right Terry, as far as the media are concerned the Plymouth incident will probably all be water under the bridge in about a week or two.

That's exactly what I thought about similar events in Birmingham (with knives not guns) last September, and I was correct, it's now mostly disappeared from the media altogether.

Ditto for likewise atrocities in Reading and Glasgow last summer (again involving knives not guns).

And as ghastly as the Plymouth incident is, to put it into context and perspective, it's hardly 9/11 or even 7/7 (central London in 2005) all over again.

Nor is it August 2011.

By some sheer coincidence, Priti Patel has dubbed Thursday's Plymouth shooting incident 'Plymouth's 9/11' according to the Daily Telegraph.

A most unhelpful remark IMO, as it doesn't even remotely compare with 9/11, as tragic as it is.

MyNameIsTerry
15-08-21, 06:08
By some sheer coincidence, Priti Patel has dubbed Thursday's Plymouth shooting incident 'Plymouth's 9/11' according to the Daily Telegraph.

A most unhelpful remark IMO, as it doesn't even remotely compare with 9/11, as tragic as it is.

She's probably drafting some legislation to springboard off the back of it as we speak.

It's not even in the same league of crimes. It's more mass shooter than political terrorist. There would be many comparable events in the U.S. to use.

Lencoboy
10-09-21, 16:43
Whilst I'm not necessarily fearing the prospects of any riots breaking out in this country right now, I just saw an article in the England section of the BBC website about the 30th anniversary of the Meadow Well riots in the NE of England on 9/9/91.

I saw photos taken at the time of buildings in said area plastered in graffiti, whose tags were proper words and names unlike the largely undecipherable tags typical of today.

Earlier this year, an area of Swansea, Wales went up in flames, likely due to similar underlying issues.

The disturbances in Handsworth, Birmingham 6 years earlier in 1985 were also during the 9th-11th September, plus there were similar disturbances there the previous week in September 1991, though obviously less remembered than the aforementioned 1985 disturbances.

pulisa
10-09-21, 17:56
Best not to read articles online which you know will trigger your anxiety, Lenco?

Lencoboy
10-09-21, 23:03
Best not to read articles online which you know will trigger your anxiety, Lenco?

Yes I know Pulisa. I made a right wally of myself for daring to do so!

pulisa
11-09-21, 08:00
You have to make "rules" for yourself and really decide that you are not going to risk self-sabotaging your anxiety management by seeking out these triggering accounts online?

NoraB
11-09-21, 08:38
Before reading anything. Ask yourself if doing so will 'harm or help' you.

The news, in general, comes under 'harm' for people who have anxiety & triggering issues..

The news is about drama and sensationalism because that shit sells. Rarely do we get good news, and when we do it's right at the bottom - underneath all the scaremongering, anxiety triggering fodder, and of course those Z list celebrities (famous only for who they've shagged) doing power lunges in the street wearing skimpy shorts and no bra. :whistles:

I don't know about NT's but this autistic is naturally drawn to crap that triggers me so I often need a visual reminder (Post-It notes) - or a prompt from my lovely friend Pulisa to remind me to look after my own MH on here. She's looking out for you too Lenco and it's good advice...

Lencoboy
11-09-21, 09:27
Before reading anything. Ask yourself if doing so will 'harm or help' you.

The news, in general, comes under 'harm' for people who have anxiety & triggering issues..

The news is about drama and sensationalism because that shit sells. Rarely do we get good news, and when we do it's right at the bottom - underneath all the scaremongering, anxiety triggering fodder, and of course those Z list celebrities (famous only for who they've shagged) doing power lunges in the street wearing skimpy shorts and no bra. :whistles:

I don't know about NT's but this autistic is naturally drawn to crap that triggers me so I often need a visual reminder (Post-It notes) - or a prompt from my lovely friend Pulisa to remind me to look after my own MH on here. She's looking out for you too Lenco and it's good advice...

On the plus side, yesterday's retrospective article about Meadow Well, 30 years on, was probably some form of consolation to those who constantly harp on about 'kids today' having no respect, and that 'feral youth', 'Broken Britain', and all the other hyperbole and moral panics that have abounded over the past 20 years or so aren't exactly exclusive to 21st Century Britain.

Lencoboy
15-11-21, 09:45
Though not a riot per se, there was an incident in Liverpool yesterday involving a taxi explosion outside a hospital, and three men have been arrested on suspicion of terror-related offences.

However, the COP 26 events in Glasgow passed mostly peacefully without any full-on riots or terrorist attacks, despite the much-publicised protests, of which were mostly peaceful and 'carnival'--like, thank god.

In fact, there were reports of even fewer arrests and far less intense violent episodes at COP 26 in Glasgow 2021 than at the G8 Summit in Edinburgh back in 2005, most ironically just days before the 7/7 attacks in central London.

Some kind of ironic coincidence that both events were followed by terror-related events elsewhere that at the same time were not (knowingly) linked in any way to either summit.

Lencoboy
15-11-21, 12:41
Though not a riot per se, there was an incident in Liverpool yesterday involving a taxi explosion outside a hospital, and three men have been arrested on suspicion of terror-related offences.

However, the COP 26 events in Glasgow passed mostly peacefully without any full-on riots or terrorist attacks, despite the much-publicised protests, of which were mostly peaceful and 'carnival'--like, thank god.

In fact, there were reports of even fewer arrests and far less intense violent episodes at COP 26 in Glasgow 2021 than at the G8 Summit in Edinburgh back in 2005, most ironically just days before the 7/7 attacks in central London.

Some kind of ironic coincidence that both events were followed by terror-related events elsewhere that at the same time were not (knowingly) linked in any way to either summit.

I'm still intending to attend my day centre via train as per usual tomorrow and on Thursday, as the chances of being run over by a bus are far greater than getting caught up in a terror-related incident, a riot, or getting mugged or beaten up at random for no apparent reason.

Let's face it, neither Tamworth nor Burton are hotbeds for terrorism, rioting, gang warfare, etc, at least not in the normal scheme of things.

Also yesterday's Liverpool incident, as tragic as it is, will probably be water under the bridge by this time next week and the news will have probably moved on by then, just like the murder of that MP in Essex a few weeks ago.

Lencoboy
21-09-22, 17:56
Following reports of aggro in Leicester over last weekend involving certain certain factions of Muslims and (I think) Hindus, I'm paranoid about the thought of 'copycat' incidents occurring in Burton amongst its own respective Asian community, plus Burton isn't a million miles away from the city of Leicester and may have certain links with said city.

However the BBC generally appear to have kept last weekend's disturbances in Leicester fairly low-key, compared to the infamous events of August 2011 (in which Leicester of course was among one of the many English cities affected by those ghastly atrocities that week), which I personally think was probably a wise move, coupled with the fact that the run-up to the Queen's funeral was (obviously) the foremost headline at the time.

But I just hope and pray that Burton doesn't suddenly become 'Bandit Country' over the coming days, especially the area close to my day centre, which is just on the edge of the main Asian community.

But I doubt anything will happen in Tamworth though, as we don't seem to have any Asian (or Black) communities, despite us being in closer proximity to Birmingham and the wider West Midlands conurbation.

Plus I'm NOT a racist either.

Lencoboy
22-09-22, 18:16
Following reports of aggro in Leicester over last weekend involving certain certain factions of Muslims and (I think) Hindus, I'm paranoid about the thought of 'copycat' incidents occurring in Burton amongst its own respective Asian community, plus Burton isn't a million miles away from the city of Leicester and may have certain links with said city.

However the BBC generally appear to have kept last weekend's disturbances in Leicester fairly low-key, compared to the infamous events of August 2011 (in which Leicester of course was among one of the many English cities affected by those ghastly atrocities that week), which I personally think was probably a wise move, coupled with the fact that the run-up to the Queen's funeral was (obviously) the foremost headline at the time.

But I just hope and pray that Burton doesn't suddenly become 'Bandit Country' over the coming days, especially the area close to my day centre, which is just on the edge of the main Asian community.

But I doubt anything will happen in Tamworth though, as we don't seem to have any Asian (or Black) communities, despite us being in closer proximity to Birmingham and the wider West Midlands conurbation.

Plus I'm NOT a racist either.

Well nothing has happened in Burton (nor anywhere else outside of Leicester AFAIK), and I had a chat with the manager at my day centre this morning about my concerns, and she reassured me that Burton's Asian population aren't of the 'extremist' types (who revel in rioting and/or terrorism), at least not as far as she is currently aware.

Once again I reiterate that I am not prejudiced towards all Asians, as there are a couple of Asian clients who attend my day centre who are lovely people who I really get on well with and often dread the thought of them ever being harassed by out-and-out racists in the community.

Lencoboy
30-09-22, 15:00
Today I'm feeling triggered by reports on the news about widespread protests across Russia, complete with tales of inadvertent police brutality against said protesters, over Putin's antics, though I mostly share their sentiment for protesting. My dad has been watching both the BBC and Sky News channels quite a lot the past few days and today he has had them on non-stop and also asked me to do him a couple of favours around the house (with the news still blaring away), plus I'm having bad bouts of diarrhoea today at the same time, which isn't very pleasant.

All the stuff about Putin, Russia and Ukraine isn't the only thing that's triggering me right now; it's all the endless Armageddon-like stories concerning the COL crisis, and the article the other day about another 'Winterbourne View'-like ACU in Gtr Mancs (Prestwich I think). It seems as far as the media is concerned, this country (and the world in general) is really going to the dogs right now, but most ironically, whenever I'm out and about generally, I can't really sense anything mega abnormal nor out of the ordinary (as if the 'end of the world' is truly nigh).

But I'm also feeling dead guilty sitting here in the warmth of our house with the heating on ATM (my dad is the one generally putting it on right now, not me) and hearing lurid tales about people not only being unable to afford to have their heating on but also struggling to feed themselves right now, which I also recall hearing/reading about back in late 2008-early 2009 when we had the last GFC/COL crisis, and I recall feeling similar episodes of guilt back then too.

I just feel like an ungrateful barsteward right now.

NoraB
01-10-22, 08:42
Best thing you can do is avoid the news as much as possible.

It's not helping you, Lenco.

Lencoboy
22-12-22, 22:27
This evening I've suddenly started ruminating on riots all over again as my dad was watching the news on TV this evening when I returned from walking the dog, and they were talking about the various strikes taking place throughout the country ATM and into the new year amid the COL crisis, and I said to my dad (partly in jest) 'I wonder how long it will be before people in this country start rioting in response to the current situation like they did with the Miners' Strike in 1984 and the Poll Tax in 1990, both when Thatcher was in Number 10?' and he said that most people don't really need to full-on riot so much nowadays with the advent of social media and the Internet in general where they can express themselves more freely and make themselves heard alongside others with like-minded views, rather than resort to mass street fights and burning buildings, vehicles, etc, and even stuff that technically borders on terrorism, plus he said to me that full-on riots in this country have generally become fewer and far between particularly since the latter half of the 90s, especially as other more civilised means of expressing indignation against the system (as already mentioned above) have evolved since then, despite the odd bouts of disturbances that occurred between 2001 and August 2011.

spectrum123
22-12-22, 23:20
I'm too old for it now. I peaked in 1990, I may dip out of this round of civil disobedience, that and it wouldn't do my chances of staying in job a lot of good!

Lencoboy
23-12-22, 01:13
I'm too old for it now. I peaked in 1990, I may dip out of this round of civil disobedience, that and it wouldn't do my chances of staying in job a lot of good!

There's no reports of any actual civil disobedience (riots) in this country as yet, touch wood.

My dad said that he thinks the world has largely moved on since those dark moments of 1990, and believes that most people for the most part are better informed nowadays, despite a lot of the online disinformation concerns of recent years.

pulisa
23-12-22, 08:28
Do you agree with your dad? Does it calm your fears about the potential you see for rioting?

Lencoboy
23-12-22, 09:04
Do you agree with your dad? Does it calm your fears about the potential you see for rioting?

Now I've come to my senses a bit more I sort of do.

Perhaps the fact that riots in general becoming less prevalent in this country since the 90s (with our last major bout of disturbances being in 2011) might be an obvious explanation.

I also wonder if many people in this country just take things on the chin more nowadays, unlike in the past when they seemed far more publicly vocal and angry in general.

Also, I don't know if it's just me personally, but I perceive a lot of the protests and strikes of late to generally lack the 'bite' and general shock value of the likes of the Miners' Strike and the Poll Tax Riots, both of which seemed to be the last true bastions of major postwar political revolts in this country that people still continue to discuss today all these years later.

BlueIris
25-12-22, 19:02
Looks like all the quality rioting is going on in Devon right now.

Lencoboy
26-12-22, 15:46
Looks like all the quality rioting is going on in Devon right now.

Where about in Devon, and what's it all over?

I know there was a disturbance the other side of the channel in Paris the other day, which is hardly new.

BlueIris
26-12-22, 16:12
Honestly, I'm not sure, I just know armed police were involved.

Lencoboy
26-12-22, 16:42
Honestly, I'm not sure, I just know armed police were involved.

My dad was just watching the BBC News channel, and the scrolling ticker text at the bottom of the screen didn't mention anything about any 'aggro' anywhere in Devon, which I'm sure would have been the case if mega serious.

I'm sure I saw something in the scrolling ticker text yesterday about a pub shooting incident in a place called Wallasey, which I think is in Merseyside.

Plus I can't for the life of me imagine why such a major August 2011-like disturbance would occur in a usually sleepy, leafy county such as Devon, which isn't normally known for 'Bandit Country'-like incidents.

BlueIris
26-12-22, 17:20
It was the Welcome Family Holiday Park, in Dawlish. Hold on a sec and I'll edit a link in.

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2022-12-26/blood-curdling-screams-after-significant-disorder-at-holiday-park

Lencoboy
26-12-22, 18:42
It was the Welcome Family Holiday Park, in Dawlish. Hold on a sec and I'll edit a link in.

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2022-12-26/blood-curdling-screams-after-significant-disorder-at-holiday-park

Thanks for that link BI.

While appalling and still pretty damn scary, it's still hardly the nationwide disturbances of August 2011 all over again though, at least not IMO anyway (which incidentally seem to pass Devon and Cornwall by at the time) And obviously not quite major enough for the likes of the BBC and Sky News channels to warrant giving lengthy wall-to-wall coverage.

Lencoboy
03-07-23, 20:31
Well France have certainly been having an 'August 2011' moment since about Wednesday last week.

I do really feel for the decent innocent majority of French folk whose country has been ravaged by this reign of terror for almost a week now, despite the fact that the riots there have now fortunately started to peter out.

Someone on another forum said the other day that they're surprised that these riots in France haven't yet spread to Britain despite allegedly spreading to other neighbouring European countries such as Belgium and Switzerland. Seriously, do we really need to be looting shops, burning down buildings and causing mass chaos and destruction in our own big cities in 'solidarity' over a certain incident across the Channel that we had/have no direct influence over?

And yes we do have our own issues right now here in the UK which aren't France's fault, nor by the same token are France's current problems our fault.

Lencoboy
24-11-23, 18:55
Yesterday there were major disturbances in Dublin, all allegedly triggered by misinformation doing the rounds following a stabbing incident at a school there, with false rumours circulating about the perpetrator being 'foreign', which caused far-Right nutjobs to let rip there.

According to the BBC site it was said that it's the worst disturbances the Republic of Ireland has witnessed in decades.

Once again, I'm paranoid about the possibility of 'copycat' riots spreading here to Britain, especially as there's already mounting tensions here over various issues, especially the Palestine thing over recent weeks with protests in London, Edinburgh and Glasgow where far-Righters attempted to hijack them, plus of course there were several disturbances across France over the summer months.

I find the actions of the thugs who rioted in Dublin yesterday distasteful and beyond the pale in the extreme, especially in the wake of an already tragic and traumatic knife crime incident that a 5-year-old school pupil was on the receiving end of, and protesting against 'those pesky foreigners' willy-nilly despite the perpetrator actually being an Irish citizen, still obviously with a bit of a screw loose to commit such an atrocity.

But sadly those rioting nutjobs have upped the ante by committing further atrocities in their own right against the Irish capital, and to fulfil their own pathetic whims and agendas.

I dress to imagine what might play out when the next fatal stabbing or shooting happens in London or any other major UK city, with foreigners/ethnic minorities possibly being blamed and scapegoated willy-nilly, especially in the absence of concrete evidence.

MyNameIsTerry
25-11-23, 15:02
Lenco, they might have put the guns down but there are still a lot of guys over there who were part of enforcement of their own community rules. Only generations will change that. Just look at the tensions over trade with the EU.

Lencoboy
25-11-23, 16:37
Lenco, they might have put the guns down but there are still a lot of guys over there who were part of enforcement of their own community rules. Only generations will change that. Just look at the tensions over trade with the EU.

'Might have put the guns down'?

In what context exactly? The IRA and The Troubles, which were mainly concentrated in NI and not normally in the ROI?

Thursday's disturbances were in no way connected with The Troubles/IRA.
Just knuckle-dragging baying mobs who had allegedly been gagging to have scraps with the police and turn over parts of central Dublin long before the school stabbing incident which was reportedly the flashpoint for the disturbances. The Irish authorities (according to the article on the BBC site yesterday) reckon Thursday's disturbances had already been brewing for over 2 years especially in the wake of the recent Covid pandemic and the subsequent (and still ongoing) COL crisis.

But using highly sensitive and emotive events like school stabbing incidents (especially where there were younger children on the receiving end) and then taking it upon oneselves to go on the rampage and bring such chaos and terror to the innocent law-abiding majority of Dubliners (who would have already been severely shocked at the the stabbing incident in the first place) and of course innocent tourists, people there on business, etc, suddenly caught up in it all!

Total absence of dignity from those rioting nutjobs, most of whom probably didn't otherwise previously give as much as a flying fig about the school and its pupils and staff. Just a bunch of knee-jerk reactionary 'anarchists' hell-bent on collectively wreaking havoc for the sake of BS misinformation circulating on social media that the knifeman was a 'foreigner', which was false.

So far no reports of any aggro here in England today in connection with Thursday's Dublin disturbances, nor any reports of any further disturbances in Dublin itself nor elsewhere throughout Ireland.

Lencoboy
27-11-23, 10:50
I've noticed last Thursday's riots in Dublin now seem to be water under the bridge already, unlike the August 2011 riots here in England which I remember were still being discussed in the media for about a month or so after the original events.

I noticed Saturday's (25th November) Palestine protests/demos in central London were seemingly kept lower key by the media, unlike those of the previous few Saturdays.

But then again, I guess the media can be very fickle and eventually seems to tire of reporting certain 'big' events, even if they're still actually ongoing. I suppose a lot of it is to do with the public's attention spans too.

MyNameIsTerry
27-11-23, 12:34
I've noticed last Thursday's riots in Dublin now seem to be water under the bridge already, unlike the August 2011 riots here in England which I remember were still being discussed in the media for about a month or so after the original events.

I noticed Saturday's (25th November) Palestine protests/demos in central London were seemingly kept lower key by the media, unlike those of the previous few Saturdays.

But then again, I guess the media can be very fickle and eventually seems to tire of reporting certain 'big' events, even if they're still actually ongoing. I suppose a lot of it is to do with the public's attention spans too.

There have covered the the anti semitism march. I think the numbers at the free Palestine AKA we aren't condemning the barbaric actions of Hamas might be seeing the numbers reduce. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad if you saw the interview with the two idiots who didn't understand the Hamas attack took place and how hostages, including small children, had been taken by the lovely government of Palestine (the worst enemy of any Palestinian who wants real freedom).

Robinson was supposed to be there, not because of the Jewish community who are experiencing a lot of hate right now, but because of is anti Islam stance. Hopefully he didn't spoil it for them.

EDIT: spoke to soon about the idiot Robinson.

MyNameIsTerry
27-11-23, 12:38
'Might have put the guns down'?

In what context exactly? The IRA and The Troubles, which were mainly concentrated in NI and not normally in the ROI?

Thursday's disturbances were in no way connected with The Troubles/IRA.
Just knuckle-dragging baying mobs who had allegedly been gagging to have scraps with the police and turn over parts of central Dublin long before the school stabbing incident which was reportedly the flashpoint for the disturbances. The Irish authorities (according to the article on the BBC site yesterday) reckon Thursday's disturbances had already been brewing for over 2 years especially in the wake of the recent Covid pandemic and the subsequent (and still ongoing) COL crisis.

But using highly sensitive and emotive events like school stabbing incidents (especially where there were younger children on the receiving end) and then taking it upon oneselves to go on the rampage and bring such chaos and terror to the innocent law-abiding majority of Dubliners (who would have already been severely shocked at the the stabbing incident in the first place) and of course innocent tourists, people there on business, etc, suddenly caught up in it all!

Total absence of dignity from those rioting nutjobs, most of whom probably didn't otherwise previously give as much as a flying fig about the school and its pupils and staff. Just a bunch of knee-jerk reactionary 'anarchists' hell-bent on collectively wreaking havoc for the sake of BS misinformation circulating on social media that the knifeman was a 'foreigner', which was false.

So far no reports of any aggro here in England today in connection with Thursday's Dublin disturbances, nor any reports of any further disturbances in Dublin itself nor elsewhere throughout Ireland.

I think you are missing my point. You don't go from kneecapping people you don't like to law abiding citizen very easily. The same psychotic nutters doing that are still there on both sides of the border, but more so in NI. Whilst the fighting went on in NI there were plenty of IRA men & women in ROI and the US and I somehow doubt they were all lovely people.

Just look at peaceful NI once Brexit started getting going. No guns, but they had bricks.

Lencoboy
27-11-23, 13:59
There have covered the the anti semitism march. I think the numbers at the free Palestine AKA we aren't condemning the barbaric actions of Hamas might be seeing the numbers reduce. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad if you saw the interview with the two idiots who didn't understand the Hamas attack took place and how hostages, including small children, had been taken by the lovely government of Palestine (the worst enemy of any Palestinian who wants real freedom).

Robinson was supposed to be there, not because of the Jewish community who are experiencing a lot of hate right now, but because of is anti Islam stance. Hopefully he didn't spoil it for them.

EDIT: spoke to soon about the idiot Robinson.

But it still got significantly less media coverage than previous likewise events over recent weeks.

Having said that, it's probably a good thing if they're not giving that loser (and has-been) Robinson as much attention that he's no doubt craving right now and probably also trying to reclaim his former glory.

Apart from a tiny minority of knuckle-dragging numbskulls, thankfully hardly anyone takes that odious man mega seriously anymore, at least not if they have any semblance of sanity.

spectrum123
27-11-23, 16:52
Yaxley Lennon got some attention, as he was told by the police that the organisers of the march didn't want him there.
Turned up and duly got arrested and carted off.

Lencoboy
27-11-23, 17:22
Yaxley Lennon got some attention, as he was told by the police that the organisers of the march didn't want him there.
Turned up and duly got arrested and carted off.

Good job an' all!

Let's hope the authorities actually grow a pair and make him actually face the music for his misdemeanours and don't just let him off scot-free.

Lencoboy
15-05-24, 09:29
I know this is just a random musing and not in response to any current events nor specific threats (apart from the events in Georgia yesterday, which is far away from Britain of course), I've been thinking this morning that at the start of almost every year post-2011, certain media journalists have predicted summers of rioting here in England, which (touch wood) have so far not happened to materialise.

In various other countries through the world (also post-2011) there have been numerous 'disturbances'; some on the face of it possibly even worse than what we had here in England back in August 2011.

Although I'm glad that such events have hardly happened here since 2011, I'm also at the same time rather surprised, especially as the powers that be have been known to frequently ride roughshod over us over the same time period, but up until now most of us Brits have seemingly just taken a lot of the crap thrown at us on the chin to the point where a lot of us simply can't be @rsed to even exercise our democratic rights to vote in elections anymore, even long before all the current voting ID lark.

In fact, unlike in much of mainland Europe, us Brits hardly ever seem to partake in the ritual May Day riots anymore; which we did back in the early 2000s. Or perhaps we still do, but such events might be lower-key these days, and/or at least kept lower-key by the media if they still actually happen here at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way gagging for riots of any sort to happen in this country right now, nor do I wish to tempt fate in any way, but at the same time I'm just kind of baffled as to how such events barely seemed to have happened since 2011 despite all the potential triggers and conditions for them still being as prevalent as ever.

My keyworker at my day centre reckons the events of August 2011 were pretty much a 'one-off', and hardly the start of a profound malaise of our society, which I recall was largely predicted by the media at the time.

Lencoboy
15-05-24, 15:26
Lencoboy, if you are given in-depth reasons in answer to your query, would that stop you periodically mithering about this subject? Well here we go with a reply generated by https://deepai.org/chat to my presentation of the question (in red).

Since 2011, here in the UK there have been very few full scale civil disturbances that could be truthfully referred to as "riots". Is this because there are no longer serious concerns to anger the public, or is it due to suppression of militancy by the authorities and law enforcement agencies?

The reasons for the lack of full-scale civil disturbances in the UK since 2011 are complex and multifaceted. While it's difficult to pinpoint a single cause, several factors have likely contributed to this trend. Here are some possible explanations:

1. **Reduced social unrest**: The UK has experienced a relative period of economic stability, with low inflation and steady growth, which has reduced concerns about poverty, unemployment, and economic inequality. This has led to a sense of stability and reduced tensions.

2. **Shifts in social and economic issues**: The UK's social and economic landscape has changed since the 2011 riots. Issues like austerity measures, public sector cuts, and debates around immigration have been prominent, but they have not necessarily triggered widespread unrest.

3. **Improved community engagement**: Efforts to improve community engagement, community policing, and social cohesion initiatives have been implemented in various areas, which may have helped to reduce tensions and prevent the escalation of small-scale disturbances into larger riots.

4. **Increased surveillance and policing**: The UK's law enforcement agencies have become more sophisticated and proactive in monitoring and responding to potential hotspots. This includes using social media analytics, intelligence gathering, and targeted policing strategies to prevent incidents.

5. **Changes in youth culture**: The demographics and attitudes of young people in the UK have changed since the 2011 riots. There may be a shift away from the types of gang culture and territorial rivalries that contributed to the disturbances in the past.

6. **Alternative forms of protest**: In recent years, protests and demonstrations in the UK have often taken on more peaceful forms, such as online activism, petitions, and peaceful gatherings. This may be a reflection of changing societal attitudes towards protest and dissent.

7. **Government policies and initiatives**: The UK government has introduced various policies aimed at addressing social issues, reducing poverty, and promoting community cohesion. These initiatives may have contributed to a decrease in tensions and reduced the likelihood of large-scale disturbances.

8. **Suppression of militancy**: While it's difficult to quantify the impact of law enforcement agencies on suppressing militancy, it's likely that their efforts have played a role in preventing the escalation of small-scale disturbances into larger riots.

It's important to note that while full-scale civil disturbances like the 2011 riots may be rare, smaller-scale protests and disorders can still occur in the UK. The authorities continue to work to prevent and respond to these incidents, while also addressing the underlying social and economic issues that can contribute to them.

Fair enough? I’d agree with most of that.

Thank you very much for painstakingly expending your time and effort to explain this report to me, Pain. Some very interesting schools of thought mentioned there, even though the odd one or two might be debatable at worst.

I've definitely noticed that youngsters in general seem to be tamer now compared to the period up until 2011, although of course we still get the knife crime stuff, which of course has ebbed and flowed between about 2003 and now in terms of being a serious social issue, plus the general economy has also ebbed and flowed over the same time period.

Like I said earlier today, perhaps the media have also toned such things down a fair bit since 2011, and tried to keep such issues lower-key in order to lessen the risks of escalation (self-fulfilling prophecies, and all that).

I suppose the same could also be said for terrorist attacks as well, which (touch wood) have also seemingly become less frequent on the British mainland over the same time period, in spite of prolific examples like 7/7 in Central London, 2005, Manchester Arena, 2017, to name but a couple.

BlueIris
15-05-24, 15:47
Psst! He didn't expend his time and effort, Lenco. He openly said that he generated it via AI. Not against that, mind, but I work with AI on a more or less daily basis and for now at least, it's only really of use in the company of a human proofreader.

Lencoboy
15-05-24, 15:58
Psst! He didn't expend his time and effort, Lenco. He openly said that he generated it via AI. Not against that, mind, but I work with AI on a more or less daily basis and for now at least, it's only really of use in the company of a human proofreader.

I did actually get wind of the AI thing eventually.

But nevertheless Pain did still kindly go out of his way to pursue such answers especially for me in the first place, of which I am extremely grateful, even if they may not all be 100% correct.

BlueIris
15-05-24, 16:08
You're a good soul :)

Lencoboy
15-05-24, 23:37
I had a gander at that Deep AI site this evening after tea with a few queries on certain other issues that have worried and concerned me for quite some time, and it does look like there's the odd inconsistencies and contradictions here and there, but then again the likes of Wikipedia and others have also been known to be a bit ropey on occasions in terms of accuracy.

Though I guess there will always be room for improvements as the Deep AI site/medium develops and progresses itself further over the coming years.

BlueIris
16-05-24, 04:54
As I say, my workplace is getting heavily into AI as a time-saver. It's always made clear - and I make it clear when training people - it's only ever a jumping off point, and the creation of a piece of text or resource is where human input begins.

Lencoboy
16-05-24, 08:50
As I say, my workplace is getting heavily into AI as a time-saver. It's always made clear - and I make it clear when training people - it's only ever a jumping off point, and the creation of a piece of text or resource is where human input begins.

I agree.

Like I said about 2 posts ago, the AI medium obviously needs to be perfected over time, but of course still nothing can beat proper research by proper (unbiased) human experts; peer-reviewed and all.

Lencoboy
16-05-24, 09:27
Like I've said before, there definitely seemed to be elements of tension, hostility and general angst in the air during the period 2003-11, especially starting with the controversy surrounding the war in Iraq and the word 'ch@v' suddenly being banded around en masse (and its much-feared and despised accompanying culture) in 2003, and then coming to a head with the city riots and the fag end of the Global Financial Crisis in 2011.

Then we had a seemingly less-tense few years until the Brexit thing came along in 2016, coupled with the spate of ISIS-fuelled terrorist attacks around the world (including England in 2017), sparking yet another period of polarisation and general angst within society, then in the early 2020s the Covid pandemic, whose after-effects we're still feeling now, despite the virus itself now seemingly being far less harmful for the most part, coupled with (since late 2021) the COL crisis and the onset of major conflicts in Ukraine, Israel/Gaza, etc.

It does seem that we've almost always had these cycles of 'polycrises' that tend to span around 7-8 years on average, while other 'issues' have either remained pretty much constant or fluctuated over time.

Lencoboy
16-05-24, 09:59
Having said that, Lencoboy, I hope this reasonable AI answer will help you stop mithering, because, after all and unless I’m mistaken, isn’t that what you wanted?

Yes, it's definitely what I wanted, and many of the possible theories expressed do seem rather plausible as regards the superficially rather surprising lack of large-scale disturbances here in Britain post-2011.

My day centre keyworker said to me yesterday when I was having a chat in private with him about various concerns of mine that he believes that rioting doesn't really achieve anything mega constructive (but a culture of further fear and angst) in the long run and is therefore largely a waste of time in this day and age, especially with the advent of various forms of electronic communication that still weren't quite so apparent in most past decades.

We also discussed the virtues of 'zero tolerance' regarding the behaviours of certain other clients, and my keyworker believes it's a waste of time in the context of the situation at my day centre and back in the days of the local County Council running such places he believed ZT was a bit of an overzealous 'quick fix' solution to problems that never really existed in the first place and was often fodder for certain staff members with power-mad tendencies, plus of course 'treating the symptoms' rather than attempting to address many of the underlying issues contributing to certain behaviours, which he believes ZT just for the sake of it often fails to do, plus also thinks that ZT can be a rather lazy, knee-jerk response solution in the same context.

However, I'll shut up and let it go now.