PDA

View Full Version : Speech Issue

Paul84
31-01-21, 19:27
Hello all,

I hope everyone is keeping well and coping OK with the crazy world.

Basically, I'm coming out of another period of anxiety and whilst I'm feeling better in my mind there's and annoying physical symptom that is lingering. I wanted to see if anyone has had similar and whether they have any tips.

It's all to do with Speaking

6 weeks ago, I bit my tongue - took a couple of weeks to heal and it affected the way I spoke etc... this resulted in face and jaw tension and general discomfort and then a chain of Health Anxiety worries... (OC, HPV...) so tiring. The HA was mainly triggered by 5 weeks of looking inside my mouth.

Now, I'm not sure if this all in my head but talking is still a real effort. I have a little reluctance in case I chomp my tongue again but generally talking seems slightly uncoordinated. I've been hyper aware of my tongue position for weeks now and I'm hesitating before I speak. The rational part of me says, it's probably muscular because I've been tensing etc...

Anyone had speaking issues caused by anxiety and does anyone have any tips?

Paul84
02-02-21, 18:56
Anybody have similar issues :)

NoraB
03-02-21, 07:43
Anyone had speaking issues caused by anxiety and does anyone have any tips?

Stop focusing on it. The more you do focus on something, the worse it is.

Might be an idea to do some progressive muscle relaxation exercises to release the tension in your jaw, but don't be looking in your mouth all the time...

Paul84
03-02-21, 08:42
Stop focusing on it. The more you do focus on something, the worse it is.

Might be an idea to do some progressive muscle relaxation exercises to release the tension in your jaw, but don't be looking in your mouth all the time...

Thanks Nora. You are right, I came down stairs this morning and I was speaking freely and calmly. This stops once I'm sat down to start work. :nonono: