PDA

View Full Version : CT scan radiation worry

wingo22
01-02-21, 01:04
Hi all,
Can someone please shed some light on this. I had 2 CT scans in my life so far. I was 18 for head and 21 for abdomen/pelvis. I am now 31. Scared to death of the radiation that I was exposed to. I read a lot about other people’s opinion and it seems the risk is quite low but I’m still worried.

Should I be? Have you ever had a ct scan or multiple ones before? How many and when?

I am just looking for peoples opinions on the radiation exposure.

Fishmanpa
01-02-21, 01:11
I'm a head and neck cancer survivor. Aside from all the Xrays and other scans I've had in my lifetime, one part of my treatment was radiation treatment. 5 days a week for 6 weeks for a total of 30 treatments. Before each treatment I was given a CT scan to help align the radiation beams to hit specific areas. So in addition to 30 CT scans, I had enough radiation to literally burn the skin off my neck and turn my mouth and throat into mush.

I think you're safe :shades:

Positive thoughts

wingo22
01-02-21, 01:36
Thank you for your response! Really puts it into perspective
May I ask how long ago that was?

Fishmanpa
01-02-21, 01:46
May I ask how long ago that was?

The end of April will be 8 years.

Positive thoughts

pulisa
01-02-21, 08:00
The end of April will be 8 years.

Positive thoughts

And he's still hale and hearty so no long term effects from the treatment if that's what you were wondering....

NoraB
01-02-21, 08:21
Have you ever had a ct scan or multiple ones before? How many and when?

I am just looking for peoples opinions on the radiation exposure.

I had an abdominal CT scan after an emergency C section where I was bleeding internally. I'm just grateful that I'm alive in a time where they have the ability to know that the repair was successful or not because the 'not' bit isn't something I like to contemplate..

pulisa
01-02-21, 08:25
My son has had a load of CT scans in his 35 years of life. I've just had a lung, pelvis and abdo CT scan. It's all about clinical need and not wanting them for reassurance/HA purposes.

panic_down_under
01-02-21, 10:40
I had 2 CT scans in my life so far. I was 18 for head and 21 for abdomen/pelvis. I am now 31. Scared to death of the radiation that I was exposed to. I read a lot about other people’s opinion and it seems the risk is quite low but I’m still worried.

A CT head scan produces about 2 mSv of radiation (https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitting-products/medical-x-ray-imaging/what-are-radiation-risks-ct), an abdomen scan about 8 mSv. Background radiation in Canada delivers between 2-4 mSv (https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/health-risks-safety/radiation/occupational-exposure-regulations/about.html)/year.

Should I be? Have you ever had a ct scan or multiple ones before? How many and when?

I've lost count of how many CT scans I've had in a long and 'interesting' life, but I was diagnosed with lung cancer in late 2005 and from that until now I've had 7-8 CT scans of the chest, including multiple pulses during the biopsy and a whole body CT+PET scan which takes about 40 minutes and delivers upwards of 25 mSv, plus whatever effect the tracer radioisotopes may have had. I've had around 10 x-rays since then too. I still don't glow in the dark, and 15 years later there is no sign of cancer in the chest cavity.

The biggest risk from a CT scan is falling under the proverbial bus on the way to and from the procedure. :ohmy:

wingo22
02-02-21, 15:25
Thank you everyone. It helps. But it’ll
Sure later on it will worry me again....joys of anxiety

pulisa
02-02-21, 18:06

Only if you let it...You've been given hard facts to counter any niggling thoughts of radiation overload. It's up to you whether you choose to believe them or torment yourself unnecessarily.

Fishmanpa
02-02-21, 18:13

Only if you let it...You've been given hard facts to counter any niggling thoughts of radiation overload. It's up to you whether you choose to believe them or torment yourself unnecessarily.

I agree... that negative statement is an open invitation to invite the dragon for dinner again.

Positive thoughts

NoraB
03-02-21, 07:30
Only if you let it...

Bottom line. Bang on!!

There is choice involved here. It's just that it's a hell of a lot easier to go with the catastrophic thinking than it is to try and steer your mind away to more positive or rational thoughts.

It is absolutely up to you Wingo.