PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid, B 12, or something much worse? Scared.

Lana
02-02-21, 18:23
Tomorrow I have appointment with my doctor, because in the past few months I had several things going on: my carpal tunnel , that I have had for years on and off, has significantly worsened, and I sleep with night braces for it; I have a feeling that my tongue is slightly larger, and I would put it just under "feeling" - except that my side indentations are now more visible; I bruise easily, which in itself is not so strange, since I am post menopausal woman - but few night ago I had a bad itch on top of my right side buttock, and I did scratched it hard ( maybe even pinched it), but now there is a HUGE nasty looking bruise there! I have also recently more often constipated.

I researched , and many things ( when put together) point to either Hypothyroidism or B 12 deficiency; however, it can be also much worse, including something called Amyloidosis, which in itself is not cancer, but can be very dangerous and is treated with Chemo. I am scared to even think of some kind of blood cancer.

I like my doctor very much and he has known me for many years. I know he will order most comprehensive blood and other panels test, which I then have to wait for the results. For us on this Forum, the waiting in itself is horrible.

I just need little encouragement and help to go through this. I can feel something is off with me, but there are several seemingly unconnected symptoms. I am very scared of Amyloidosis, although I am aware that it is considered very rare illness. But, my mother died of blood cancer ( although it took many years, and she was old when she died). She had certain gene mutation (JAK), and that is , allegedly, not inherited.

Thank you in advance, if anyone can offer some comforting words.

ankietyjoe
02-02-21, 20:44
Stop Googling.

You shouldn't Google in the same way you shouldn't smash your face with a brick.

pulisa
02-02-21, 20:57
Try not to predict what your doctor will decide to do...or not do...tomorrow, Lana. He will be very much aware of your HA and how unnecessary extensive testing is unhelpful and stress-inducing for you.

Discuss all your fears and worries with him and let him decide if you need any tests due to clinical need and not for "reassurance" purposes. I appreciate that your mother's blood cancer diagnosis will have some bearing on what you fear but maybe it would be good to get the doctor to reinforce that her particular gene mutation is not hereditary.

Googling is the worst thing you can do to yourself if you want to keep your HA well managed.

Good luck tomorrow!

Lana
02-02-21, 21:13
Thank you guys, very much. I am very scared, but was there ever a time when I was not? So sad.

The big and ugly bruise on my buttock has really done it for me, because, I have had carpal tunnel syndrome for years, sometimes being horrible, and then disappearing for longer time. But this unexplained bruise?

Please pray for me tomorrow. Thank you again

NoraB
03-02-21, 07:25
I know he will order most comprehensive blood and other panels test, which I then have to wait for the results. For us on this Forum, the waiting in itself is horrible.

This is the perfect time to work on your HA. If you can remain calm and rational while waiting for blood tests - you've all but cracked HA.

As Joe says, don't Google. It's akin to self-harm when you have HA. There is a lot of helpful information on the internet re anxiety but your HA mind will home in on what it wants you to see - which is disease and worst (and the most unlikely) scenarios. Best thing you can do is to NOT Google!

Your HA mind will try and take you to some scary places with this but it's not real. They are just thoughts. Thing is, your body will respond as if it is real because the brain doesn't know the difference. This very physical response creates very physical symptoms which feed into the imagination. It works the other way though. If you can imagine clear test results - then your body will respond positively and will send out the calming hormones..

I've felt something has been 'off' with me since I was 5 years old and aside fibromyalgia, there's never been anything seriously wrong with me. Anxiety can not only make us feel 'off' but it can make us feel extremely unwell.

You will most likely find that you feel better almost instantly the moment you know your results are normal..

Lana
03-02-21, 12:55
NoraB, thank you so much.

God only knows how anxious this morning I am. I will be praying for the best.

ankietyjoe
03-02-21, 14:17
But this unexplained bruise?

I bruise easily, which in itself is not so strange, since I am post menopausal woman - but few night ago I had a bad itch on top of my right side buttock, and I did scratched it hard ( maybe even pinched it)

Erm..... unexplained?