PDA

View Full Version : Feeling unsteady/like perception of the ground altered!?

TimetoTurn
04-02-21, 19:49
Hi, I have been getting a type of dizziness -at least I think that's what to call it -feeling like things are kind of unsteady for a few months. It seemed to improve or else I got used to it, and just put it down to anxiety. I have had blood test for iron, BP taken by Dr and 24 hr ECG since this all began and they all came back ok.
However this last month I went through a real stress with a totally unrelated health issue (my finger/hand swelling -even posted about it on here!) The Drs are onto that, but the dizziness thing has become worse. I was guessing it was a result of the extra stress but you know how it is when it *keeps* grabbing your attention!

I'm not even sure if this is what you call dizziness but it's a sensation of feeling wobbly/off balance, I often find my feet are like trying to keep balance and I sometimes notice my legs feel somewhat shaky/weak. Otherwise it's like my perception of where the floor is is off - like that feeling when you think there's an extra step but there isn't? It can feel like I'm trying to walk around a moving boat or something.
It isn't happening all the time and is mostly fine when I'm sitting, but if I'm wandering around the flat or getting up from a chair or just standing it can happen. I weirdly haven't noticed it when walking or cycling outside. It is happening a lot though inside. Does anyone have any experience of this?

bin tenn
06-02-21, 15:59
Yes, this is a very common experience amongst anxiety sufferers, and I have experienced it many times myself. If you scour anxiety forums, here or elsewhere, you can find posts like this and read about it for days on end. I know how unsettling it can be, but I assure you it's very common and harmless.

Carnation
06-02-21, 17:05
Yes, anxiety!
You were right to describe it because it's not really dizziness or lightheaded, but a feeling of off balance and not grounded which can make you head feel weird.
It normally happens when you become oversensitised or anxiety in it's highest.
I've had it on and off for the last 7 years.
It is not harmful but a worry to people like us.
You try some grounding exercises, but really it's down to your thoughts and worry, even stress.
Like the previous poster there are many threads on this if you want to take a look.
Scroll to the bottom of the page for the links or in the search top right hand corner of the page.

boy
04-04-22, 14:21
This is the most spot-on description I’ve found of what I’ve been getting. I had it for a few weeks just before the first lockdown and my optician changed me to toric lenses for previously undiagnosed astigmatism. It went away completely... until last August, and has been with me ever since, fluctuating in its severity. Funnily enough it gets worse when I worry about it...

Both times the precursor to this feeling was worsening eye strain when using a computer monitor, like it was too close and I had to keep pushing it further away until it nearly fell off the desk! I’d feel dizzy too when using the screen, but I don’t feel dizzy most of the time, only if I turn quickly, though I do prefer to turn slower - it’s just not compatible with normal life. For me it’s mostly the unsteady ground symptoms you’re describing and I dread having to walk anywhere, even a few steps within my home. I feel like every slight unevenness of the floor/ground is exaggerated.