PDA

View Full Version : Early onset dementia or Alzheimer's???

alcopop
06-02-21, 20:03
Hi, keeping this brief -

My partner said I drank a soft drink from the fridge the other night cos it wasn't there when he woke up and he definitely saw it the night before.
THEN, this morning there was a coffee made on the side, which I assumed my partner had made, but he said I must've made it.
I do not remember drinking the drink or making the coffee..... and now I'm freaking out that it could be Early Onset Dementia or something.

I am 34 and female and freaking out massively.
Please advise. Any reassurance greatly appreciated.

(I know there is another recent post about this, but the context is slightly different to mine, so I had to post).

Thanks in advance

Carys
06-02-21, 20:08
You or your partner ? :roflmao:Seriously, on both occasions the same person has said you must have been responsible, when he doesn't really know that you were, and it could have been him, or he could have been mistaken. The soft drink might not have been there, he could have drunk it, he could have made the coffee, either of you could have for that matter - these things happen in shared houses.

bin tenn
07-02-21, 05:36
You or your partner ? :roflmao:Seriously, on both occasions the same person has said you must have been responsible, when he doesn't really know that you were, and it could have been him, or he could have been mistaken. The soft drink might not have been there, he could have drunk it, he could have made the coffee, either of you could have for that matter - these things happen in shared houses.

That's the truth. Haha! My fiancee and I do it all the time. She'll have a water bottle on the table. I'll go grab one for myself, set it down (unopened) walk away. She'll finish hers, then I'll come back and think "oh, I want a water, too" - even though the one on the table is mine.

Thorey
17-03-21, 22:30
I don't know if you're still worried about this, but at 34 any kind of dementia is completely implausible. Firstly, even so called early-onset Alzheimer (which is in itself a very, very rare disease), we're talking almost exclusively people aged 50 and older. If you don't have first degree relatives with the disease, it's even more out of question.

Secondly, in the case of beginning dementia, your partner would notice a lot more than you forgetting things like these. He would notice it in the way you speak or act differently, you suddenly getting lost in your own home or not remembering where you are. (Important to mention is that your partner, and not you, would notice this first).

Myself, as a neurologically healthy but very stressed/anxious 25-year old med student, I sometimes get bothered by creepy forgetfulness. Like, asking people a question literally 5 seconds after they've already told me the answer, AND the other day completely forgetting I made coffee... had a similar discussion to yours with my roomie, haha. Stress (not just stress at the moment, but as a passive, prolonged stress) makes you more confused and forgetful. You shouldn't worry at all about dementia, but instead see this as a sign that you might want to find ways to reduce stress. :)

silver_shoes
19-03-21, 01:11
As others have said, Dementia at your age would be so incredibly rare. It’s far more likely that your symptoms are related to stress. When I am under extreme stress I sometimes get my words a bit mixed up and forget things from time to time.

carriewriting
19-03-21, 10:17
Sounds like autopilot to me.

A few weeks ago I spent half an hour searching for my work pass.

Then when I got to the office I discovered it was on my belt.

My skirt had been washed so I had to have put it on that morning, but I had zero recollection.

I had a dementia freak out until my friend told me if you're worried about it, you don't have it.

People with dementia don't know they have it.