PDA

View Full Version : Good news topic

phil06
07-02-21, 16:21
I hear a lot of negative news about COVID just wondering if anybody has any good news to share perhaps new family remember or something positive on the news or a holiday they have planned or a new job?

Would like to read some positive news in these dark times.

BlueIris
07-02-21, 16:37
New family member, sort of. Got a really gorgeous new kitten who's making it really hard for me to work from home because she just wants to cuddle and play all the time.

I've also started learning Polish with the Duolingo app so I can speak to people in our local grocery shops. My BA was in languages, but that was twenty years ago now and picking up a new one again is making me ludicrously happy.

Hope you have good news to report, too, we all need it in these times. Loving the new positive you as well.

ankietyjoe
07-02-21, 16:52
The vaccines are proving safe and effective. Which is excellent news.

Carys
07-02-21, 17:27
Any good news from you Phil ?

Mine, is the same as the one above ^

Lencoboy
07-02-21, 19:30
My mom is having her first jab on Wednesday (10th Feb), only just 8 days after my dad had his first one.

Carys
07-02-21, 20:52
I hear a lot of negative news about COVID

Much of the negative news about COVID that hits these forums, is brought up by you Phil. Just thought I'd say.

Scissel
07-02-21, 22:07
We could all use some good news for a change. Its been a beautiful winter wonderland over here in the North East USA - brings back nice memories of childhood. :)

NoraB
08-02-21, 08:54
I had a very satisfactory shit this morning. Good news indeed! :yesyes:

Scissel
08-02-21, 13:21
See ... Everything always works out 'in the end' :)

fishman65
08-02-21, 15:59
My snowdrops are all in flower now. A beautiful little plant but hard as nails.

MyNameIsTerry
08-02-21, 16:03
My snowdrops are all in flower now. A beautiful little plant but hard as nails.

They're lovely.

Bought my mum 4 varieties of roses at Xmas and all are starting to shoot and grow leaves.

She loves roses. Great plant too as you can mix them up and get a very wide-ranging flowering season.

My GF plants hundreds of tulips. Some of ours are slowly growing. Last year she didn't get many coming up as the winter was so mild but ours look better this year so perhaps we've had enough hard frost to kickstart them?

pulisa
08-02-21, 20:51
It's going to be 6 degrees on Sunday afternoon in currently freezing Surrey..Phew,what a scorcher!:)

Scass
08-02-21, 21:16
Sounds like a heatwave Pulisa!

Isn’t it nice seeing the daylight last a bit longer each day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ErinKC
08-02-21, 21:31
I am 6 days out from my hysterectomy and recovering really well! After a year of worrying I've made it though and am looking forward to a healthy year ahead!

Pamplemousse
08-02-21, 21:52
I've also started learning Polish with the Duolingo app so I can speak to people in our local grocery shops. My BA was in languages, but that was twenty years ago now and picking up a new one again is making me ludicrously happy.

I've heard good things about Duolingo. I've been meaning to teach myself German for over twenty years now, but have failed miserably. Where I live, Polish would be fantastic.

BikerMatt
08-02-21, 21:55
It's half-term next week, so no home schooling for a week! :yesyes:

fishman65
08-02-21, 22:23
They're lovely.

Bought my mum 4 varieties of roses at Xmas and all are starting to shoot and grow leaves.

She loves roses. Great plant too as you can mix them up and get a very wide-ranging flowering season.

My GF plants hundreds of tulips. Some of ours are slowly growing. Last year she didn't get many coming up as the winter was so mild but ours look better this year so perhaps we've had enough hard frost to kickstart them?Terry we have a local church that has a snowdrop weekend in the middle of February each year, obviously not this one though. Their churchyard is a sea of snowdrops, thousands upon thousands, its quite a sight.

Tulips look lovely but I've never had much luck with them. They have to be planted deep don't they and like very well drained soil. Have you got a bulb planter? And I don't mean your GF :D Rather than using a trowel you just push the planter into the ground and it pulls the soil out. I wasn't convinced at first but wouldn't be without one now.

Yes roses are fairly trouble free, I've got a rambler that I'm training up over an arch. 'Lady of the Lake' its called, lots of single pale cream flowers. Also a bush Tea rose and a wild one.

Pamplemousse
08-02-21, 23:43
Snowdrops, also known as Candlemas Bells.

MyNameIsTerry
09-02-21, 00:08
Terry we have a local church that has a snowdrop weekend in the middle of February each year, obviously not this one though. Their churchyard is a sea of snowdrops, thousands upon thousands, its quite a sight.

Tulips look lovely but I've never had much luck with them. They have to be planted deep don't they and like very well drained soil. Have you got a bulb planter? And I don't mean your GF :D Rather than using a trowel you just push the planter into the ground and it pulls the soil out. I wasn't convinced at first but wouldn't be without one now.

Yes roses are fairly trouble free, I've got a rambler that I'm training up over an arch. 'Lady of the Lake' its called, lots of single pale cream flowers. Also a bush Tea rose and a wild one.

According to my dad well drained soil but not deep, just under.

I know the kind of tool you mean. We haven't got one of those but we have got a dipper like a metal spatula. We don't plant many bulbs or dad hasn't planted from seed for a long time. We sometimes get some plugs but otherwise get plants small unless it's for a gift.

That churchyard must be very beautiful when they are all out. A nice place to sit if only the weather was better.

glassgirlw
09-02-21, 00:37
Let’s see, good news...I finally got to see my baby brother for Christmas (baby is used loosely lol, he is my youngest brother, still 35 years old :roflmao:). He caught Covid three days before Christmas so was unable to travel up from Texas at the time. So he was here this weekend and we finally got to celebrate together.

He got out of Kansas just in the nick of time too...our high temperatures this week aren’t supposed to get over 10F. Saturday will be our coldest in years...high of 3F and lows of -17F. And we have snow on the ground so it’s even worse lol. So ready for spring!!!!

Noivous
09-02-21, 00:40
And The Chiefs lost too!😭

Noivous
09-02-21, 00:43
My brother who had a massive breakdown following the death of our mom has just completed one full year of employment! That's huge!👍❤️

glassgirlw
09-02-21, 00:45
And The Chiefs lost too!

Yeah they did and I’m very depressed about that lol. I can’t personally stand Tom Brady, regardless of what team he’s playing against. We’ll be back next year (I hope!!!)

Fishmanpa
09-02-21, 00:55
Phil... Why not search out Good News and share it with the forum to encourage those that are suffering as opposed to others feeding your dragon? Surely, it would be much better than wallowing in your own self pity and negativity and actually be a positive asset?

FMP

NoraB
09-02-21, 08:06
My lad has just been promoted at work. :yesyes:

I see daily videos of my grandson making a shit-tip of his other nan's kitchen and generally running my son ragged - (satisfactory payback) :roflmao:

The Hyacinth in my kitchen smells lovely and cheers me up every time I walk into the room! :cloud9:

Neurodiverse relationship therapy starts tomorrow - this could mean the difference between Hubs (or me) ending up under the patio. :yesyes:

pulisa
09-02-21, 08:19
My brother who had a massive breakdown following the death of our mom has just completed one full year of employment! That's huge!❤️

Yes it IS huge....and an immense achievement! You must be very proud of him and rightfully so, Noivous.

pulisa
09-02-21, 08:27
Very pleased to read Phil's response to another member suffering from contamination fears on his own thread. We all can try to help each other. We all have something to contribute.

pulisa
09-02-21, 08:33
My lad has just been promoted at work. :yesyes:

I see daily videos of my grandson making a shit-tip of his other nan's kitchen and generally running my son ragged - (satisfactory payback) :roflmao:

The Hyacinth in my kitchen smells lovely and cheers me up every time I walk into the room! :cloud9:

Neurodiverse relationship therapy starts tomorrow - this could mean the difference between Hubs (or me) ending up under the patio. :yesyes:

No pressure on the therapist then...:D Good luck and I hope you both gain a lot from the process x

NoraB
09-02-21, 08:44
No pressure on the therapist then...:D Good luck and I hope you both gain a lot from the process x

Fingers crossed. X

Noivous
09-02-21, 11:36
Yeah they did and I’m very depressed about that lol. I can’t personally stand Tom Brady, regardless of what team he’s playing against. We’ll be back next year (I hope!!!)

Oh yeah you'll be back for sure especially with that young QB you got. The football future is bright in KC.

fishman65
09-02-21, 15:04
According to my dad well drained soil but not deep, just under.

I know the kind of tool you mean. We haven't got one of those but we have got a dipper like a metal spatula. We don't plant many bulbs or dad hasn't planted from seed for a long time. We sometimes get some plugs but otherwise get plants small unless it's for a gift.

That churchyard must be very beautiful when they are all out. A nice place to sit if only the weather was better.I must be getting tulip bulbs mixed up with something else, probably why mine didn't grow. Do you grow any plants from seed Terry? I've got some biennials overwintering in the GH. Viper's Bugloss, sweet rocket, honesty and delphinium requienii, all sown around July/August. Foxgloves too but they're already in the ground.

I've got some tomato seeds for this year. I grew cucumbers too last year but they're quite demanding in terms of water requirements. And quite tasteless so it defeats the object.

Scass
09-02-21, 19:23
I am 6 days out from my hysterectomy and recovering really well! After a year of worrying I've made it though and am looking forward to a healthy year ahead!

Oh Erin well done! I’m so pleased you are ok.
My sister has to have one in early January. She’s also doing really well (also fibroids), apart from a small infection in the wound. Keep taking it easy, rest lots x

Noivous
09-02-21, 21:44
Yes it IS huge....and an immense achievement! You must be very proud of him and rightfully so, Noivous.

I am Pulisa...and thank you:hugs:

BikerMatt
10-02-21, 00:00
My brother who had a massive breakdown following the death of our mom has just completed one full year of employment! That's huge!❤️

Nice to read that Noivous. Well done to your Bro after such a hard time.

Noivous
10-02-21, 13:18
Nice to read that Noivous. Well done to your Bro after such a hard time.

Thank you, Matt. If you knew where this guy was just two years ago, culminating in a 2am wrestling match between he and I in front of my house so the cops could get the cuffs on him to get him to the hospital, and where he is today you'll understand the reason for my post.

Thanks again.

N.

Scissel
15-03-21, 18:19
Fingers crossed. XI haven't seen you around in a while - hope you're doing ok; Nora :)

Lolalee1
16-03-21, 09:38
I miss Nora on here:weep:Come back Nora.:hugs:

pulisa
16-03-21, 18:02
Nora has had a hard time on here recently so I'm sure she's taking a well-earned break.

Scissel
16-03-21, 19:06
Oh.. ok I totally understand - we all need a break - wishing her well.

MyNameIsTerry
16-04-21, 00:22
A good news story in the Daily Mail about a kind stranger helping a mother and her autistic son:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9470065/amp/Mother-praises-hero-lying-floor-calm-autistic-son.html?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=upday

What a great bloke! :yesyes:

Scass
17-04-21, 03:05
A good news story in the Daily Mail about a kind stranger helping a mother and her autistic son:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9470065/amp/Mother-praises-hero-lying-floor-calm-autistic-son.html?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=upday

Oh well that’s lovely.

Lencoboy
17-04-21, 07:04

'Bout time an' all!!

pulisa
17-04-21, 08:02
I could have done with him when mine were younger!

Solarbind
22-04-21, 15:40
Amidst this pandemic, there are still good news and positive things that are happening. For our family, a new baby was born and the whole family is covid negative. That is indeed a blessing. And another thing is I still have work and I am thankful for it.

meltedchic
03-05-21, 05:29
Great news is that humanity still does exist. Some people are helping those who are in need without expecting any in return.

Scissel
04-05-21, 14:55
Great news is that humanity still does exist. Some people are helping those who are in need without expecting any in return.Its nice to see people still have a heart in these rough times.