PDA

View Full Version : Does anxiety cause weight loss even if you’re eating normally?

Nighttime pacer
08-02-21, 22:37
Hi all,
This concern of mine has been going on a while. Last March I had coronavirus and lost weight due to it. Around 14 pounds in total due to lack of appetite and no sense of smell or taste.
I’ve had health anxiety issues for years and have lost weight when I’ve been anxious before.
My concern with this is that after recovering from the virus I put some weight back on but then have lost it again. Recently I weighed myself and I’ve lost another couple of pounds.
I have been constantly anxious throughout the last year as I’m unemployed and have no idea when my job in the entertainment industry will get going again.
I’ve been eating around 2500 calories a day and according to the fitness app on my phone I should be gaining about 1 pound a week but I’m not. My weight is static at best or slightly down at worst.
I’ve convinced myself I have cancer.
My GP doesn’t seem concerned, blood tests were all normal.
Has anyone else had this with anxiety.
Sorry for such a long post.
Nighttime pacer

Fishmanpa
08-02-21, 22:57
Does anxiety cause weight loss even if you’re eating normally?

Yes... Anxiety can increase metabolism thus burning more calories.

Positive thoughts

Nighttime pacer
09-02-21, 00:42
Thanks Fishmanpa,
You’re always a sensible voice in my world of anxiety. I guess I knew the answer but needed someone else to say it.
Nighttime pacer