PDA

View Full Version : Tea Suggestions?

glassgirlw
09-02-21, 02:45
I love hot tea, especially in the evenings. So I try to stick to caffeine free options. I’m also not the worlds greatest sleeper. I tend to self medicate with Benadryl because it knocks me out, but doing that long term carries it’s own separate issues lol.

I was just curious what your favorite relaxing teas are? I have tried Sleepytime Tea which is basically chamomile. Right now I’m having a Lipton blend that’s cinnamon, chamomile, and lavender. It’s pretty good! Any other favorites? And do you do anything extra to your tea? Like milk or honey or anything? I’m pretty new to the tea thing so I don’t even know if I’m preparing it right :roflmao:

AntsyVee
09-02-21, 05:10
Celestial berry and hibiscus. With some lemon and honey it it.

glassgirlw
09-02-21, 06:00
Ooh that sounds amazing. Thanks AV!

MyNameIsTerry
09-02-21, 06:17
I used to drink chamomile before bed. It certainly needs some honey as it's a strong taste. The trouble is it nerds to be the right honey or it can end up very sickly sweet.

I keep meaning to shift over to green tea. I'm cosy conscious though so it will probably be loose bags and add some honey to take the edge off.

I've been drinking puerh tea for a while now. Loose tea off eBay. I just add a little honey. I've found since reducing my sugar intake over the past 2 years I like a more bitter taste anyway.

There are some nice combos of puerh too. Plum is nice as is a rum spiced one. Earl Grey has a kind of zesty tang too it so at first you might think you're drinking some sort of washing up liquid but it does grow on you. There wasn't much difference in price between flavoured varieties and without.

I don't drink enough to justify a yixing tea pot though. https://yoursmiles.org/hsmile/nation/h03034.gif

pulisa
09-02-21, 08:16
Mao Feng loose green tea is lovely. 3 mins maximum infusion otherwise it can become bitter. I buy mine in 100g bags.

I like Earl Grey leaf tea as well..but that's not a bedtime drink really. Definitely an afternoon treat for me!

glassgirlw
09-02-21, 11:31
Terry and Pulisa - thanks!! I’ve never done loose leaf tea before - but I think I have a cup meant for that, it has a little steel basket that sits on the top but immersed in the hot water below. I may have to get a couple blends to try!!

Lolalee1
09-02-21, 11:36
I don’t mind Matcha tea but I cheat and put honey in it.:D

WiredIncorrectly
09-02-21, 14:21
Yorkshire, or PG. I drink about 15 cups of tea a day :whistles:

Scissel
09-02-21, 16:13
I try to drink Pure Leaf hot Chai Tea / an exotic recipe combining a full-bodied mix of Kenyan and Ceylon black teas when I can .. if you get the ones from Dunkin Donuts or K_Cup Mix, beware; they are loaded with phosphates :(

pulisa
09-02-21, 18:06
Terry and Pulisa - thanks!! I’ve never done loose leaf tea before - but I think I have a cup meant for that, it has a little steel basket that sits on the top but immersed in the hot water below. I may have to get a couple blends to try!!

Green tea shouldn't be made with boiling water.Let the water cool for a minute or so after boiling..The secret to the sweetness is down to the water temperature!

glassgirlw
09-02-21, 21:25
Green tea shouldn't be made with boiling water.Let the water cool for a minute or so after boiling..The secret to the sweetness is down to the water temperature!

ok that’s actually super helpful, I thought all tea had to be made with crazy hot water. So this is really good to know!!! I have some tea bags that are green tea. So I may try this new method tonight and see if I notice a difference in flavor!! Thanks Pulisa!

glassgirlw
09-02-21, 21:28
I try to drink Pure Leaf hot Chai Tea / an exotic recipe combining a full-bodied mix of Kenyan and Ceylon black teas when I can .. if you get the ones from Dunkin Donuts or K_Cup Mix, beware; they are loaded with phosphates :(

i forgot chai tea! I have not been successful making my own, but I have a couple local coffee shops that I do enjoy it from!

glassgirlw
09-02-21, 21:30
I don’t mind Matcha tea but I cheat and put honey in it.:D

I drown all my tea in honey Lola. I think that’s why I feel like I’m doing it wrong :roflmao:

glassgirlw
09-02-21, 21:32
Yorkshire, or PG. I drink about 15 cups of tea a day :whistles:

What is PG, wired? Is that a brand name or a name of a tea?

MyNameIsTerry
10-02-21, 04:48
Yep, depends on the tea. With puerh you clean the leaves with the first pour then tip the water away and pour again over the leaves.

Doesn't need long to brew though. The longer the stronger. I once left it in for 5 minutes and didn't realise how much stronger it would be. I was a bit wired for a while.

pulisa
10-02-21, 08:25
Making proper leaf tea is a fine art but the improvement in flavour is worth the hassle! I always filter my water too because I live in a very hard water area.

WiredIncorrectly
10-02-21, 09:21
What is PG, wired? Is that a brand name or a name of a tea?

Don't you have PG Tips in Scotland?

Ps. Fun fact, my youngest nephew was born in Scotland accidentally and he's now Scottish and gets free University :ohmy:

Edit: I've just woken up. I read your name as Glasgow girl even though I know it's not. Sorry lol.

glassgirlw
10-02-21, 11:37
Don't you have PG Tips in Scotland?

Ps. Fun fact, my youngest nephew was born in Scotland accidentally and he's now Scottish and gets free University :ohmy:

Edit: I've just woken up. I read your name as Glasgow girl even though I know it's not. Sorry lol.

Hahaha no worries! I would love to visit Scotland someday, post-Covid of course!! :roflmao:

Carnation
10-02-21, 11:50
For me....

PG Decaf, chamomile and honey.

I used to drink green tea, don't know why I stopped tbh.

I also used to have a teashop and can recommend Earl Grey in the summer. Assam for a good traditional cuppa.

The most expensive tea on our menu was Lapsang Souchong, which I didn't like.

MyNameIsTerry
10-02-21, 11:56
For me....
PG Decaf, chamomile and honey.

I used to drink green tea, don't know why I stopped tbh.

I also used to have a teashop and can recommend Earl Grey in the summer. Assam for a good traditional cuppa. x

MrsC, do you find Earl Grey zesty? I always just drank a typical PG Tips black tea before so trying other things has opened up how different they can be. I soon got used to it but the first few cups I thought I had a squeeze of lemon cleaner in mine :biggrin:

Carnation
10-02-21, 13:09
Yes Terry, Earl Grey can be perceived as zesty, even perfume. It's a personal taste and a love it or hate it, like marmite. But it is refreshing on a hot day.
It needs to be sipped pointing the little finger at 2 O'clock. :D

fishman65
10-02-21, 14:31
Yes Terry, Earl Grey can be perceived as zesty, even perfume. It's a personal taste and a love it or hate it, like marmite. But it is refreshing on a hot day.
It needs to be sipped pointing the little finger at 2 O'clock. :DCarnation, quite!! Served with expensive China by Jeeves and accompanied by cucumber sandwiches with the crusts removed. Anyone for tennis?

Carnation
10-02-21, 15:08
Fishman, lol,

You obviously visited my teashop :D

Scissel
10-02-21, 18:14
i forgot chai tea! I have not been successful making my own, but I have a couple local coffee shops that I do enjoy it from!They are indeed yummy :)

pulisa
10-02-21, 19:40

It has to be loose leaf Earl Grey though..no teabags!:D My best ever cup of Earl Grey was in a tea salon called Meert in Lille, France. If I could order it online I would...Long way to go for a cup of tea though:)

Carnation
10-02-21, 20:36
Yes Pulisa, definitely loose tea otherwise you don't get the true taste. There's an art in making tea and even a teapot can change the taste.
See now I want to get back into it, lol. :D

pulisa
10-02-21, 21:13
I like the Stump tea pots with the built in infuser.

I've got a green and and orange one!

https://suki-tea.com/teaware/teapots

Carnation
10-02-21, 21:33
I like the look of them Pulisa :yesyes:

fishman65
10-02-21, 22:43
Fishman, lol,

You obviously visited my teashop :DNot sure if you've been to the Lake District Carnation, but they do lovely 'cream teas' there. Tea served with lots of cream cakes/scones/jam etc. All very civilised.

Talking of loose tea, I remember when it was the only tea. Then my friend who lived next door was telling me about tea bags. We resisted tea bags for quite some time, using a strainer and of course poured from a teapot.

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-21, 01:38
Not sure if you've been to the Lake District Carnation, but they do lovely 'cream teas' there. Tea served with lots of cream cakes/scones/jam etc. All very civilised.

Talking of loose tea, I remember when it was the only tea. Then my friend who lived next door was telling me about tea bags. We resisted tea bags for quite some time, using a strainer and of course poured from a teapot.

Carnation can go one better than that, Fishman, she used to own one of those places somewhere in the UK. So, I'm going to say Carnation's is best :winks:

Yes, I remember the tea is tea days. Then came bags, then pyramids and now we even have coffee bags!

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-21, 01:40
I like the Stump tea pots with the built in infuser.

I've got a green and and orange one!

https://suki-tea.com/teaware/teapots

Every Xmas Tesco have infuser teapots in the gifts. There are some really nice glass ones around in all shapes too if you look online. I would get one but with drinking puerh I can't leave it brewing otherwise it gets very strong. And I don't drink it like my dad drinks PG...I think he's now 89% tea which will confuse the doctors at some point :biggrin:

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-21, 01:43
It has to be loose leaf Earl Grey though..no teabags!:D My best ever cup of Earl Grey was in a tea salon called Meert in Lille, France. If I could order it online I would...Long way to go for a cup of tea though:)

I buy the puerh loose leaf. I did think about bagging it but just use of those infuser spoons instead. Some varieties look more like something scraped up off the forest floor. They also come in hard cakes too.

Sipping tea in a French shop sounds the height of posh :biggrin: You need one of those little umbrellas over your head to look the part.

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-21, 02:04

I like it now. After a few cups I got into it. Now it just tastes refreshing.

If I sip it from a dainty cup with a pinky up in the air they will probably chuck me out of Stoke-On-Trent :biggrin:

fishman65
11-02-21, 14:49
Carnation can go one better than that, Fishman, she used to own one of those places somewhere in the UK. So, I'm going to say Carnation's is best :winks:

Yes, I remember the tea is tea days. Then came bags, then pyramids and now we even have coffee bags!Ah well I did wonder Terry, I wasn't sure if she was being literal. Yes I should imagine her establishment was excellent, with scones, biscuits and little cakes served on those tiered plates? Small pots of jam or butter and a lovely pot of tea.

One reason I like tearooms is because they test my social anxiety but without the requirement to remain for longer periods that you would find with say a restaurant. Tearooms are more informal and I feel under less pressure.

The only coffee I drink is the odd mug in the evening. Options do lovely hot chocolate, mint and orange are my favourites I think.

fishman65
11-02-21, 14:51
I like it now. After a few cups I got into it. Now it just tastes refreshing.

If I sip it from a dainty cup with a pinky up in the air they will probably chuck me out of Stoke-On-Trent :biggrin:LOL I've got a pint mug I use at home Terry, full of well brewed Yorkshire tea, like tea used to be :D

Carnation
11-02-21, 18:00
Terry's right fishman, I did have my own tearoom, probably not the best but I tried my upmost to make it a nice experience. It was very traditional so like sitting in your home with a courtyard garden with window boxes full of trailing plants and wrought iron tables and chairs.
Plenty of cakes... Victoria sponge, carrot cake, coffee and walnut, Black forest gateaux , lemon meringue, scones with jam and cream. All presented on bone China sets, tablecloths and napkins.
It was very hard work with plenty of washing up.
Lol, I bet glassgirlw wasn't expecting such informative replies to her tea question. :D

Here's a question...
Jam or cream on top of the scones?

pulisa
11-02-21, 18:18
Terry's right fishman, I did have my own tearoom, probably not the best but I tried my upmost to make it a nice experience. It was very traditional so like sitting in your home with a courtyard garden with window boxes full of trailing plants and wrought iron tables and chairs.
Plenty of cakes... Victoria sponge, carrot cake, coffee and walnut, Black forest gateaux , lemon meringue, scones with jam and cream. All presented on bone China sets, tablecloths and napkins.
It was very hard work with plenty of washing up.
Lol, I bet glassgirlw was expecting such informative replies to her tea question. :D

Here's a question...
Jam or cream on top of the scones?

What would the Queen demand?

pulisa
11-02-21, 19:28
How wonderful to own and run a tea salon although it must have been really hard work. I really miss going with my daughter to our local tearoom. It was something to look forward to and a welcome treat to break up the afternoon. Here's to a reopening when things are better and the sun is shining again!

fishman65
11-02-21, 19:52
Jam I think Carnation. Your tearoom sounds lovely, very tasteful and with plants too. That cake is very tempting, my diet would take a battering I think. :blush:

pulisa
11-02-21, 20:56
I think jam too...probably Duchy original seedless? "Scoan" or "scon" though?

glassgirlw
11-02-21, 21:40
You guys know SO much about all this haha. I only hope to have half this knowledge eventually :roflmao:

for now I’ve added one of those stump teapots to my amazon cart and some loose leaf tea varieties. Going to start small!!!

Carnation
11-02-21, 21:54
Good one glassgirlw :yesyes:

Carnation
11-02-21, 22:16
It was really hard work Pulisa and no time to eat myself, lol. I can imagine a tearoom would be something your daughter would love. x

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-21, 22:35
You guys know SO much about all this haha. I only hope to have half this knowledge eventually :roflmao:

for now I’ve added one of those stump teapots to my amazon cart and some loose leaf tea varieties. Going to start small!!!

Well tea is part of our culture. Also moaning, queuing...and moaning about queuing. So you know where to come for advice on that :roflmao:

Pamplemousse
11-02-21, 22:41
Yes, I remember the tea is tea days.

But do you remember the wall-mounted dispensers for loose-leaf tea? My nan had one.

Pamplemousse
11-02-21, 22:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eELH0ivexKA

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-21, 22:50
But do you remember the wall-mounted dispensers for loose-leaf tea? My nan had one.

You've got the better of me there. My mum likely will though.

glassgirlw
12-02-21, 01:32
Well tea is part of our culture. Also moaning, queuing...and moaning about queuing. So you know where to come for advice on that :roflmao:

The tea part I’ll agree with...but in the last year we’ve learned a whole lot about moaning and queuing around here too LOL. Except me...I’m avoiding the que’s and drinking tea in my house. :roflmao:

AntsyVee
12-02-21, 02:36
I'm sorry, but this is my favorite tea video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZwvrxVavnQ

fishman65
12-02-21, 14:19
I'm sorry, but this is my favorite tea video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZwvrxVavnQ:roflmao: Vee this is a classic!! Just for the record, Mrs F doesn't drink tea at all. She used to when we first got together, at every opportunity in fact. But these days? Nope :shrug:

MyNameIsTerry
13-02-21, 06:39
:roflmao: Vee this is a classic!! Just for the record, Mrs F doesn't drink tea at all. She used to when we first got together, at every opportunity in fact. But these days? Nope :shrug:

Well that's just relationships isn't it? At first you just can't get enough. Over time that 4 times a day slows down to once a week and before you know it you're either sitting in a Tea Therapist's office or a solicitors...:whistles:

Do you drink tea by yourself or perhaps go onto websites to watch others drinking tea? Watch out for the signs otherwise before you know it you might find yourself meeting up with other ladies for a cuppa or even ladies of negotiable morality (as Terry Pratchett termed them in his books) to drink tea :winks:

Some couples like to meet up and drink tea together but that's a whole different topic :ohmy::blush:

Carnation
13-02-21, 11:02
Tea drinking is a massive ritual in Japan.
They use it for being in the present moment and their are many books on this. They call it, 'Ichigo Ichie' and its well worth a read.

pulisa
13-02-21, 13:43
That sounds like something you'd need to treat at a discreet clinic!:D

I have a tea ritual too although it doesn't involve kimonos and bowing! I'd love to go to a Japanese tea salon for an afternoon.

Carnation
13-02-21, 14:15
Lol Pulisa, it does! :D

AntsyVee
13-02-21, 18:15
Well that's just relationships isn't it? At first you just can't get enough. Over time that 4 times a day slows down to once a week and before you know it you're either sitting in a Tea Therapist's office or a solicitors...:whistles:

Do you drink tea by yourself or perhaps go onto websites to watch others drinking tea? Watch out for the signs otherwise before you know it you might find yourself meeting up with other ladies for a cuppa or even ladies of negotiable morality (as Terry Pratchett termed them in his books) to drink tea :winks:

Some couples like to meet up and drink tea together but that's a whole different topic :ohmy::blush:

Yes, I suggest you drink tea by yourself, FM ;)

Or you could become a tea slut...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vr8LMgGr-M

fishman65
14-02-21, 13:22
I have a tea ritual too although it doesn't involve kimonos and bowing! I'd love to go to a Japanese tea salon for an afternoon.Oh Pulisa, you're a dark horse!! Who'd have thought it? :D

Viviann
27-02-21, 13:54
I adore drinking black tea so much

glassgirlw
27-02-21, 14:34
Tried a new blackcurrant tea yesterday that was very tasty!!! Didn’t even need to add honey or milk (don’t know if those are normal additives LOL but I have been known to use them both).

Carnation
27-02-21, 17:21
Blackcurrants are good for you too glassgirlw :yesyes:
No, definitely no milk.

Scissel
15-03-21, 18:23
Thank for that suggestion - will have to ad blackcurrant tea to my 'to try' list :)

meltedchic
18-03-21, 22:20
I have not tried blackcurrant tea and i am indulge to have one right now. :)

Any recommendation for a great green tea?

pulisa
19-03-21, 08:22
I love Mao Feng green tea-the leaf variety not teabags.

Lolalee1
20-03-21, 04:15
A good cup of aussie billy tea.:yesyes:

Scissel
07-04-21, 15:27
This morning: I'm enjoying a blend of Turmeric, Rosehip, Hibiscus, and Green Tea w/honey :) Unfortunately, its a bit high in caffeine, so use with caution.

WiredIncorrectly
10-04-21, 23:50
I've been watching a lot of people travel to India. Such a beautiful place and people. But one thing many of the "youtubers" comment on is how beautiful Indian tea is.

Anyone shed any light on their tea?

Scissel
03-06-21, 15:17
I've been watching a lot of people travel to India. Such a beautiful place and people. But one thing many of the "youtubers" comment on is how beautiful Indian tea is.

Anyone shed any light on their tea?I used to work (ages ago) for Indians and they would always make a cup of tea for me and it was amazing and simple ingredients. I just can't remember what they were?!

Today I'm drinking Black Tea with peppermint and Agave Nectar :)

ErinKC
16-06-21, 23:04
I'm not sure if you have a Trader Joe's nearby, but they have a really nice Ginger Turmeric tea that I like in the evenings. Peppermint is also a nice nighttime caffeine free option!

glassgirlw
17-06-21, 03:20
I do have one near me!! Never been in it lol, now may be a good time to start :roflmao:That’s awesome, I will check that out. Thanks!

Scissel
16-08-21, 14:19
This morning: I'm enjoying a Coriander (a natural antioxidant herb) Green Tea - plus a blend of ginger / cinnamon . clove. I guess what is making in unhealthy is the 2 packets of splenda.

Scissel
31-10-21, 14:43
This morning: I'm enjoying a Bigelow Perfectly Mint Black Tea with agave nectar and 1 Splenda ( sucralose ) :)

Scissel
14-11-21, 15:26
Green tea with agave nectar and little phenylalanine ... trying hard to focus today.

fishman65
14-11-21, 17:40
I bought some mint green tea recently Scissel. Its certainly an acquired taste, either that or I left it too long to brew.

pulisa
14-11-21, 18:11
Green leaf tea (not peppermint) needs off the boil filtered water and a brewing time of not more than 3 mins otherwise it tastes foul.

Not that I'm a leaf tea nerd of course...:)

Scissel
17-01-22, 17:07
Hi @fishman65 and @pulisa ...

Actually, I am drinking the cheap stuff from the dollar store and with a little honey its not too bad, but, yeah, really need to get a tea kettle again. Tea needs to be enjoyable experience. :)

meliscanan88
17-01-22, 20:35
I drink China Slim Tea with honey before going to bed. (https://dietforquickweightloss.com/chinese-weight-loss-tea-a-review-of-china-slim-tea-new-2021/)I can relax and lose weight.:yesyes: