PDA

View Full Version : Worried about mouldy windows

EllaM
14-02-21, 17:25
Hi, I've been trying to avoid seeking reassurance recently but I've got myself into a real state worrying and I'm really struggling to switch off from it. I live in an old flat that has single glazed windows with metal frames. These have gradually become really quite mouldy and the paint is chipped in parts. I know I should just give them a good clean myself but I started doing it the other day and ended up panicking that I was releasing spores. I also worried about the paint chipping off in case it has lead in it. My dad said he can come and help when he's allowed but that may not be for a while with lockdown. My main worry is sleeping in a room with mould as I have read so much scare mongering stuff about it causing health issues. The window is about two metres from my bed- do you think it's safe for me to sleep in that room? Or do I need to deal with the mould asap? It doesn't help that I have a cold and of course am convinced it's the mould is causing it!

Pamplemousse
14-02-21, 17:50
Ooh, sounds like lovely old Crittall windows :)

I wouldn't worry too much about lead in the paint - unless you think it has just been continually overpainted since the 1960s. Paint chipping off isn't really an issue, but if you were to sand it down that could be a potential hazard. The HSE suggests simply painting over it with modern paint, but if you want to remove it the chemical-based strippers are the best.

As for the mould: https://www.cse.org.uk/advice/advice-and-support/damp-condensation

Wear a proper mask, not a Covid face-covering.