PDA

View Full Version : Post surgery anxiety struggle!

ErinKC
15-02-21, 13:59
I finally went through with my hysterectomy two week ago after agonizing over it for more than a year. I've been doing great but the anxiety has been getting worse with the passing days! Right now I'm panicked that I've developed a fistula because of vague symptoms I'm having. I have a message in to my doctor but even if she says everything sounds fine I feel I'm going to find something else to worry about!

I was really afraid of this situation going in to surgery and here we are. I guess just looking for some support!

AntsyVee
15-02-21, 17:52
I think this is pretty normal, Erin. You were so worried about this for so long that it's going to take time for your subconscious to let go of all that worry and stress.

pulisa
15-02-21, 18:06
A general anaesthetic can really heighten any existing MH issues, Erin and as Vee says, all that accumulated stress will come out in some shape or form after the pressure of the op is over and you've got time to think about other worries.

Rumpo
15-02-21, 18:32
If this is something you have been worrying or thinking about for a long time, I think it's only natural that you might expect some heightened anxiety as a result - especially if you were concerned about possible complications in advance. I've also heard that general anaesthetic can temporarily exacerbate existing mental health issues, like pulisa has said. If your surgeon isn't worried, I wouldn't be either - I hope your recovery continues to go well and that it can be a peaceful one HA-wise, too :)

ErinKC
16-02-21, 21:54
Thanks, friends! There was sooo much anticipatory anxiety with this that I know all this adrenaline is just working it's way out.

Yesterday I felt SICK, which really scared me to the point of going for a covid test this morning. I felt hot (but no fever), weak, and had a ton of post nasal drip, full ears, scratchy throat. It's a lot better today but just still feeling so so tired and generally off in my heas. I'm hoping I just literally made myself sick with anxiety - it was so bad the day before. It was 12 days from being in the hospital, so the long end on incubation, and it doesn't seem hospital transmission is common. They didn't have me in a mask in postop but everyone else was obviously masked up and face shields, etc. I've done nothing the entire pandemic - I've not even been inside a store since last March - so it was really an overwhelming amount of contact all at once.

I'd been anxiety free for about two years and forgot how bad it can get!!

Fishmanpa
16-02-21, 22:02
A little bit of some PTSD perhaps? You've been cranked up about this for a while. Now, after all is said and done, this could be most likely some come down off the stress.

Positive thoughts

ErinKC
17-02-21, 01:09
A little bit of some PTSD perhaps? You've been cranked up about this for a while. Now, after all is said and done, this could be most likely some come down off the stress.

Positive thoughts

Yes, I think so. The last time I had surgery I had a lot of complications and I was so worried about that happening this time. My recovery has gone so smoothly that my mind is probably inventing things. Also, my thoughts should never be left alone. I'm the only person on earth whose anxiety was cured by going to law school. Laying around recovering is bad for my mental health!

AntsyVee
17-02-21, 03:49
You just figured it out, Erin. There are many people out there that only experience anxiety when idle.

pulisa
17-02-21, 07:42
Boredom and inactivity just open the floodgates for anxiety. Going to law school gave you motivation and a focus so you just didn't have time to think about anxiety and health fears. The pandemic obviously limits you in what you can do and convalescence from a major op even more so so it's understandable that you should be having a blip now...but you'll get back to being busy and occupied and things will improve on the anxiety front.