PDA

View Full Version : From 30 to 10mg of Citalopram - is it likely to be a bumpy ride?

Pamplemousse
15-02-21, 19:00
As if the sewer terror isn't enough for me, today I noticed (as I was counting out my tablets for the week) that my GP has reduced my dose from 30mg to 10mg. We'd agreed that at some point this was going to happen - either to see if I can manage without them or going on to something different - but I'm a bit worried about the magnitude of the change and considering I've been on this for over a decade, what can I expect?

nomorepanic
15-02-21, 19:59
In my opinion it is too big a drop

BikerMatt
15-02-21, 20:22
Agree with Nicola. You should really of gone to 20mg first.

pulisa
15-02-21, 20:46
It has to be an error surely? Can you check with your GP tomorrow?

Pamplemousse
15-02-21, 21:55
It has to be an error surely? Can you check with your GP tomorrow?

I might drop him a line.

panic_down_under
16-02-21, 04:50
As if the sewer terror isn't enough for me, today I noticed (as I was counting out my tablets for the week) that my GP has reduced my dose from 30mg to 10mg. We'd agreed that at some point this was going to happen - either to see if I can manage without them

If this isn't a mistake your GP should have discussed it with you first! :mad:

or going on to something different -

Is citalopram working well? If so, why go onto something different if you need to remain medicated?

but I'm a bit worried about the magnitude of the change and considering I've been on this for over a decade, what can I expect?

You have a right to be worried, both by the way it has apparently been done without any warning, or guidance and by the magnitude of the change. Ideally, the dose should be reduced to 20mg for a couple of weeks and if that goes well then, and only then, down to 10mg for another couple of weeks.

Pamplemousse
16-02-21, 11:10
Hi there,

thanks for your reply - I'll deal with the points you raised in turn.

If this isn't a mistake your GP should have discussed it with you first! :mad:

We have discussed this, at length during a ten-minute telephone slot that went on for 45 minutes so I shouldn't complain - what started off as a request for some zopiclone turned into a full review, including removing a blood pressure medication that apparently makes diabetes worse but increasing the dose of another to compensate.

Is citalopram working well? If so, why go onto something different if you need to remain medicated?

Herein lies the problem. I don't think the Citalopram is actually working for me any more. I still have deep bouts of depression, I still have anxiety issues. I hate to say this, but I think I am beginning to accept that this is the way I am and nothing is going to alter that: "you're a proper Wednesday's Child", as my late mother would say (and I am a Wednesday's Child too)

You have a right to be worried, both by the way it has apparently been done without any warning, or guidance and by the magnitude of the change. Ideally, the dose should be reduced to 20mg for a couple of weeks and if that goes well then, and only then, down to 10mg for another couple of weeks.

We did discuss this at length, as I have had a previous attempt at coming off it. In that instance the idea was two days on and miss a day for two weeks (when I was on 20mg), then one day on and miss two days for two weeks and then stop. At the time, I had some pretty unpleasant but occasional nightmares when this happened, much as I did when I went "cold turkey" by accident once.

This is part of a plan we discussed where I may go on to a different treatment - it just came as a surprise but if it means I'm taking less tablets and I am none the worse for it, it's something I can live with.

panic_down_under
17-02-21, 10:12
Herein lies the problem. I don't think the Citalopram is actually working for me any more. I still have deep bouts of depression, I still have anxiety issues.

Then wouldn't it be better to switch directly to another AD instead of coming off citalopram and starting from scratch on another med? It may significantly lessen the time it takes for the new AD to kick-in. Mostly people can do an overnight switch from one SSRI to an equivalent dose of another with only minor issues. Switching to a different AD class is best done via a short cross taper, but again is usually straight forward.

Pamplemousse
17-02-21, 17:06
Quite frankly, the ideal medication for me would leave me catatonic except when I needed to go to work.

Unless I'm imagining it, the weird dreams started last night which seems a bit quick?

panic_down_under
18-02-21, 10:03
Quite frankly, the ideal medication for me would leave me catatonic except when I needed to go to work.

There is, or at least should be imho, more to life than work. It should be a means to an end, not the end itself.

Unless I'm imagining it, the weird dreams started last night which seems a bit quick?

I don't believe weird dreams are caused by ADs, but are fairly common all the time. ADs just expose them to consciousness sometimes. I used to have some fantastic ones while on high doses of imipramine. Great vivid blockbusters that would have made Cecil B. DeMille jealous.

Pamplemousse
18-02-21, 12:02
There is, or at least should be imho, more to life than work. It should be a means to an end, not the end itself.

Thing is, work is the only time I feel vaguely 'normal' and then only if I'm fully occupied. Anything away from that and the misery/anxiety grows fast. Plus I'm self-employed and no work = no money.

I'm a firm believer in "work to live, not live to work" but I have no choice. I've got my first job in over two months on Saturday and I've no idea when the next one will come along.

Pretty good night's sleep last night; head feels a bit wobbly, like I have a mild form of vertigo but apart from that, okay.

panic_down_under
19-02-21, 09:34
Pretty good night's sleep last night; head feels a bit wobbly, like I have a mild form of vertigo but apart from that, okay.

Is this from going down to 20mg, or 10mg?

Pamplemousse
19-02-21, 13:01
To 10mg, as per the thread title.

So far, nothing I'd call adverse but a certain muzziness in my head - but that could equally be due to a stiff neck from too much screen time and a crap pillow.

This is day five now, should effects be seen?

panic_down_under
20-02-21, 10:13
This is day five now, should effects be seen?

Usually, yes. At day 5 plasma levels will have dropped to close to the new level and more than enough to provoke a reaction. You might just be lucky. Not everyone has significant withdrawal effects. 🤞

Pamplemousse
20-02-21, 11:59
Usually, yes. At day 5 plasma levels will have dropped to close to the new level and more than enough to provoke a reaction. You might just be lucky. Not everyone has significant withdrawal effects. 🤞

Thanks for that, it's comforting to know 🙂