PDA

View Full Version : Mouth Cancer Worries - So Many Ulcers

s32bauer
19-02-21, 01:17
I have been unwell since September 2017 with various, mainly gastro related symptoms. I've also been very prone to mouth ulcers. Even when I was a teenager (I'm 37 now).

Over the last six months or so I would hardly go a week without getting a new mouth ulcer. And then it got to the stage where I'd get a new one just as the other was almost gone. However around one and a half months ago I had an ulcer that I still have now.

These aren't the typical biggish ulcers. They tend to be fairly small. However, I know that any ulcer that doesn't heal within two weeks or so is cause for concern.

My GP has done a calprotectin test in case of IBD, and taken swabs for any bacteria or viral infection which was negative.

I read on NHS that only 12.5% of mouth cancer is in under 40s, and that most of those are due to smoking or drinking (I don't do either) but even so I know that doesn't mean it's not that.

I've suggested a biopsy but my GP doesn't want to. It keeps getting put down to stress but I've been a lot more stressed for longer periods over the last several years and never had them not heal within 5 to 7 days, let alone over a month.

I'm really worried.

Kuraimoar
20-02-21, 02:03
My husband had a breakout of about 17 ulcers all through his mouth and throat last year. He went to the doctor and they just gave him a prescription for some mouth wash and it went away in a few days. Try not to worry

s32bauer
20-02-21, 02:22
Thank you. I'm going to try and get a dentist to have a look as well as my GP. But would be nice if something like that worked for me!

Kuraimoar
20-02-21, 19:07
You can ask your GP about the mouth wash. It's called magic mouthwash. It's something they can make for you at the pharmacy. At least here in the states I don't know if anything is different over there.