PDA

View Full Version : Covid Variants

Lencoboy
20-02-21, 09:59
I've noticed over the past fortnight or so that the UK national headlines in general haven't been making such a big deal over newly confirmed cases of the SA variant, unlike in late January and very early Feb, where the media would elaborate a lot more on specific locations where said cases were confirmed. My area (Tamworth, Staffs) had a confirmed case of the SA variant announced yesterday morning, but the national headlines have so far kept it low-key, whereas had it been a fortnight or more ago, there would have no doubt been endless wall-to-wall coverage of it.

The media also no longer seem to be making a song and dancing over the other newer variants that have been discovered since December, such as the one in Bristol a couple of weeks ago. There was also talk of another mystery variant that randomly appeared in Manchester, Southampton and parts of Norfolk earlier this week, but the media have since gone quiet.
Perhaps in the latter case it's 'no news is good news'.

Going back to the SA variant, are specific cases no longer getting the same amount of media attention because said variant might now actually be far more widespread in this country than originally thought, and/or does it happen to be no more harmful that the Kent variant, so no longer as newsworthy as before?

Just wondering.

Pamplemousse
20-02-21, 13:12
Any mention of the Finnish variation?

ankietyjoe
20-02-21, 13:24
Is there really any merit in following why the media is or isn't reporting on something like this? Even if it did report on it, the likelihood of it being accurate or useful information has got to be close to zero.

Variants are to be expected with any virus, we all know that. Worry about it being a problem when it's actually a problem.

Lencoboy
20-02-21, 14:50
Is there really any merit in following why the media is or isn't reporting on something like this? Even if it did report on it, the likelihood of it being accurate or useful information has got to be close to zero.

Variants are to be expected with any virus, we all know that. Worry about it being a problem when it's actually a problem.

I'm not necessarily worrying about it, I'm just curious as to why the media don't appear to be making as much of a big issue out of the newer variants right now, unlike only just a month ago where they seemed to be seeping out of the woodwork left right and centre, but now that appears to have died down a fair bit, and hopefully for the better.

I guess that's the nature of the media in general, the news moves on.

Scass
20-02-21, 15:18
I think it’s because the vaccines are holding up well, so the media can’t find anything to scare the pants off us about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lencoboy
20-02-21, 17:19
I think it’s because the vaccines are holding up well, so the media can’t find anything to scare the pants off us about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you could be right there, Scass.

And this is despite the fact that current vaccines are believed to be less effective against the SA variant, but obviously there's nothing mega significant to make a song and dance over ATM.

pulisa
20-02-21, 19:39
I'm sure there were a load of different variants last year..but none of the boffins knew about them. Probably a good job?

ankietyjoe
20-02-21, 20:09
I'm sure there were a load of different variants last year..but none of the boffins knew about them. Probably a good job?

We know about them pretty much straight away in the UK as we have thorough screening for it. We HAVE to keep an eye on it to make sure we have vaccine efficacy.

John Campbell did say in one of his talks last week that it's very good news that the variants we've seen so far all look pretty similar, as it indicates that there are probably relatively few possible variations over time.

Oxford/AZ have also said they are on top of new variants with vaccine alterations in a matter of weeks. As things stand right now, it's pretty much a non-issue.

pulisa
20-02-21, 20:49
I actually meant before a vaccine was developed.

Lencoboy
20-02-21, 20:55
I actually meant before a vaccine was developed.

Well at least the vaccine manufacturers have the option of tweaking the vaccines in due course in the worst-case scenario.

Though, so far so good!

Lencoboy
20-02-21, 20:57
We know about them pretty much straight away in the UK as we have thorough screening for it. We HAVE to keep an eye on it to make sure we have vaccine efficacy.

John Campbell did say in one of his talks last week that it's very good news that the variants we've seen so far all look pretty similar, as it indicates that there are probably relatively few possible variations over time.

Oxford/AZ have also said they are on top of new variants with vaccine alterations in a matter of weeks. As things stand right now, it's pretty much a non-issue.

That could very well be as to why the media seem to have piped down over it more so during the past couple of weeks.

ankietyjoe
20-02-21, 21:54
That could very well be as to why the media seem to have piped down over it more so during the past couple of weeks.

I've never paid any attention to the media to be honest. From my late teens to mid twenties I was around 'famous' people quite a lot and saw how the media portray events. They are almost Universally parasitic bullsh1t merchants.

Gary A
21-02-21, 04:45
The reason that variants of coronavirus aren’t as severe as variants in something like influenza is down to the make up of the viruses.

Influenza viruses infect human cells in an absolute multitude of ways. Coronaviruses infect human cells by latching via spike proteins. Every single vaccine humanity has developed to fight this coronavirus has been specifically designed to nullify the spike protein. It can mutate as much as it damn well pleases, so long as we’re designing vaccines that interrupt it’s one and only way of infiltrating our cells then we have it beat.

The kicker is, if it mutates that spike protein enough eventually it will render it utterly ineffective at invading our cells. That’s the thing you really won’t hear from our lovey media, this virus can actually mutate itself out of existence, and it’s actually more likely that a coronavirus will do that as it really only has one means of infiltrating our cells.

Honestly, we’ve got this. It’ll take a few months, but the high efficacy of our early vaccines already shows that this is an enemy that can and will be beaten.

MyNameIsTerry
21-02-21, 06:02
It's the usual media pattern. People get bored so they move onto something else.

It's how they earn their money.

pulisa
21-02-21, 08:08
I'm wondering what the hacks will focus on if Prince Philip dies shortly?

MyNameIsTerry
21-02-21, 08:58
I'm wondering what the hacks will focus on if Prince Philip dies shortly?

Every now and then they raise the coded project for his funeral in an attempt to grab some clicks.

Doubt many will be pleased how Charles is getting access inside a hospital at a time others can't see their dying loved ones because hospitals are still refusing them entry.

The Oprah interview might be timed conveniently :winks:

Lencoboy
21-02-21, 09:05
It's the usual media pattern. People get bored so they move onto something else.

It's how they earn their money.

Yes, probably in about 6 months time they'll be focusing on the next big 'threat' or moral panic, or regurgitating past or existing panics such as terror threats, knife/gun crime, racial tensions, hard-right antics, teenage yob culture/ASB, binge drinking, drugs, economic crises, austerity, immigrants, troubles in the Middle East, North Korea, Russia, you name it.

Lencoboy
21-02-21, 09:41
I did briefly read on the BBC website this morning that confirmed cases of both the SA and Brazilian variants are falling, though they didn't say whether it was in the UK, the actual countries of origin, or worldwide.

pulisa
21-02-21, 12:55
Every now and then they raise the coded project for his funeral in an attempt to grab some clicks.

Doubt many will be pleased how Charles is getting access inside a hospital at a time others can't see their dying loved ones because hospitals are still refusing them entry.

One rule for "One"......?

Pamplemousse
21-02-21, 13:21

I noticed "Forth Bridge" trending on Twitter last night - I think the Speculatron was fired into action by pap photos of a tearful Prince Charles seen leaving the hospital.

As it was Twitter I took it with the amount of salt under Cheshire.

pulisa
21-02-21, 13:57
I doubt whether anything would be announced even if he were to die imminently. Especially with the infamous Roadmap about to be revealed.

Lencoboy
28-02-21, 19:36
According to the BBC website, unfortunately 6 cases of the Brazilian variant have officially been recorded in the UK. 3 in England, and 3 in Scotland.

All had arrived back from Brazil at the beginning of Feb (pre-quarantine rules), and 2 of the 3 affected in England allegedly first became infected on 10th Feb (more than a fortnight ago), but have been self-isolating. The third affected person in England cannot be traced unfortunately.

As the two 'known' English infectees are from the South Gloucestershire/Bristol area, surge testing is being ramped up in said area(s) as a precautionary measure.

See the BBC website for full details.

pulisa
28-02-21, 20:58
Cue panic and scaremongering on Digital Spy etc and Daily Fail headlines predicting failure of vaccine programme in the face of said variant..

The rest of us will just carry on as normal and avoid all the gleeful catastrophising.

Lencoboy
28-02-21, 21:21
Cue panic and scaremongering on Digital Spy etc and Daily Fail headlines predicting failure of vaccine programme in the face of said variant..

The rest of us will just carry on as normal and avoid all the gleeful catastrophising.

Yeah, I bet you a tenner the Daily Fail, Daily Depress, Scum, etc, will be having a field day tomorrow and spewing out OTT scaremongering headlines.

For all we know so far, some (or possibly even all) of the infectees might already be on the road to recovery, as I'm sure the BBC said something about at least some of them testing positive on 10th Feb, which will be 3 weeks ago on Wednesday, but I read it can take several days for the tests to be fully analysed to reveal the precise variants of the virus, sometimes up to 2-3 weeks.

So I really hope it's not panic stations all over again, especially with all the more promising news over the past few days.

Pamplemousse
28-02-21, 23:13

The 'i' and the Torygraph are leading with this but the Mail is bellyaching about half of the UK's police stations have shut in the last ten years. Conveniently forgetting that the party it cheer-leads for has been at the forefront of slashing the police budget and the number of police officers in the last ten years...

fishman65
28-02-21, 23:14
Tbh its during the course of this pandemic that I've realised just how far the media will go to make headlines. I mean I always knew that reality was distorted/exaggerated etc. to a degree. But hearing the truth from independent sources like our Dr Campbell, someone with no axe to grind or shady motives to lie, it just demonstrates how utterly deviant, false and manipulative mainstream media is.

This Brazilian variant on the BBC tonight. Apparently more contagious than the original virus. OMG run for the hills. No matter that we've been living with the UK variant which fits that criteria anyway and has been the pandemic here since about December.

Fishmanpa
01-03-21, 00:13
Apparently, there's a new New York variant. Symptoms include being rude and saying "Yo" and "FU and your mutha!" :winks:

Positive thoughts

Lencoboy
01-03-21, 09:03
Tbh its during the course of this pandemic that I've realised just how far the media will go to make headlines. I mean I always knew that reality was distorted/exaggerated etc. to a degree. But hearing the truth from independent sources like our Dr Campbell, someone with no axe to grind or shady motives to lie, it just demonstrates how utterly deviant, false and manipulative mainstream media is.

This Brazilian variant on the BBC tonight. Apparently more contagious than the original virus. OMG run for the hills. No matter that we've been living with the UK variant which fits that criteria anyway and has been the pandemic here since about December.

(First paragraph) I've been gravely concerned about our mainstream media for donkeys years now, and I've voiced my concerns about it even 15-20 years ago, but others just seem to shrug it off and told me to get over it as they need to make money in order to survive, plus they lectured me on freedom of expression. I've also felt increasingly concerned in a similar fashion about films, TV dramas and popular music becoming more 'explicit', edgy and sensationalist since the 90s, where nearly everything has to be pushed to the max, but again, those close to me (including my own parents) have played the 'they need to sell products and make money' and 'free expression' cards endlessly since the 90s seemingly without really caring about the risks of such stuff corrupting young people. Just like with the daily papers.

(Second paragraph) You're correct, it's allegedly similar to the Kent variant which has become the dominant strain in the UK since late November-early December, and overall cases have been declining since the second week of January. We've also had/got the SA variant which still hasn't (touch wood) wreaked major havoc on our soil, plus the media generally seem to have gone quieter over it the past couple of weeks.

The Kent, SA and Brazilian variants all reportedly have similar properties and the BBC do almost always reiterate that there is still no evidence so far that the latter two in particular are any more harmful.

Lencoboy
01-03-21, 09:08
The 'i' and the Torygraph are leading with this but the Mail is bellyaching about half of the UK's police stations have shut in the last ten years. Conveniently forgetting that the party it cheer-leads for has been at the forefront of slashing the police budget and the number of police officers in the last ten years...

Hypocrisy of the highest order!

Ten or more years earlier they were constantly harping on about 'Broken Britain'.

Though that's all for another thread.

Lencoboy
01-03-21, 09:48
I'm surprised no attention-seeking idiot know-it-alls still haven't yet said that Covid could be blown through the air outdoors by the wind.

Not that I personally believe it's possible anyway.

Pamplemousse
01-03-21, 10:13
I'm surprised no attention-seeking idiot know-it-alls still haven't yet said that Covid could be blown through the air outdoors by the wind.

Not that I personally believe it's possible anyway.

Oh, a BTL commenter on the BBC several months ago made many, many posts to that effect - that it was being carried on the jet stream.

Lencoboy
01-03-21, 10:49
Oh, a BTL commenter on the BBC several months ago made many, many posts to that effect - that it was being carried on the jet stream.

Plus of course there were those bats**t crazy claims about 5G masts spreading Covid last spring as well, and all the hysterical baying mobs destroying them plus physically and verbally abusing the service engineers, which we don't seem to hear of now, thank God.

I also remember about a year ago there was an epidemic of hate attacks on persons of Far Eastern appearance/
origin, which also seemed to die down once the media had moved onto the next 'scapegoat'.

Pamplemousse
01-03-21, 11:56
Plus of course there were those bats**t crazy claims about 5G masts spreading Covid last spring as well, and all the hysterical baying mobs destroying them plus physically and verbally abusing the service engineers, which we don't seem to hear of now, thank God.

You probably don't hear about it because the media has got bored of it, but people are still out there convinced that 5G is killing wildlife and people.

Lencoboy
01-03-21, 14:41
I've noticed the BBC website doesn't appear to be giving the UK cases of the Brazilian variant quite as much welly right now as I originally anticipated. Having said that, apart from that one person whom the authorities are having difficulty tracing, all the other infectees (in both England and Scotland) are allegedly self-isolating, and quite rightly so.

Probably by about Thursday all this current malarkey about the Brazilian variant will no doubt be water under the bridge and the media will have moved on to the next 'big' stories, whatever they may be.

BikerMatt
01-03-21, 16:39
The press has given us the heads up and almost forced the governments hand on so many occasions from the start of this crappy mess.

I've no trust in Boris the buffoon and Matt w*nksock!

Lencoboy
03-03-21, 12:48
Like I've just mentioned on the main Covid discussion thread, the BBC today all of a sudden appear to have gone quiet over the Brazilian variant in the UK, whereas yesterday there was still endless wall-to-wall coverage of it.

So far, today, it all seems to be about the Budget and Sturgeon vs Salmond instead.

Likewise, no news reports of any further cases of the SA variant in the UK ATM (touch wood).

So they say, 'no news is good news'!!

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-21, 13:05
Like I've just mentioned on the main Covid discussion thread, the BBC today all of a sudden appear to have gone quiet over the Brazilian variant in the UK, whereas yesterday there was still endless wall-to-wall coverage of it.

So far, today, it all seems to be about the Budget and Sturgeon vs Salmond instead.

Likewise, no news reports of any further cases of the SA variant in the UK ATM (touch wood).

So they say, 'no news is good news'!!

All I saw circulating in the news early today was about Hancock and narrowing it down to 300 odd people. So it's probably a matter of work in progress with nothing given to them to use for a report.

Lencoboy
03-03-21, 17:09
All I saw circulating in the news early today was about Hancock and narrowing it down to 300 odd people. So it's probably a matter of work in progress with nothing given to them to use for a report.

They did also say that there's no evidence so far of any wider community spread of said variant, at least not in Scotland anyway.

However, the showdown between Sturgeon and Salmond, plus the Budget still remain today's foremost headlines, and all things Covid (for better or worse) seem to have slipped down the pecking order in today's national headlines.

pulisa
03-03-21, 17:47
So the elusive forgetful Brazilian variant spreader is still on the loose in the South East...but today is Rishi Sunak Day so a day's respite from the "personhunt".

No house raids in my road so hopefully Woking isn't being targeted again for a change.

Pamplemousse
03-03-21, 17:50
Serco Test and Trace doing a fantastic job here.

All the win.

dorabella
03-03-21, 21:03
Seems to me like a combination of lazy journalists (can't be bothered to go and seek out any significant news and over-hyping snippets of info about 'variants') plus the HSE and SAGE throwing out 'news' about a new 'variant' of the same old virus to stop the public getting too hopeful about a possibility of ending lockdown. Why they persist with this charade in the midst of successful vaccination roll-out and resultant efficacy, the seasonal respiratory virus naturally running out of steam as they do at this point in the year, and in the face of increasing 'lockdown fatigue; among the population is beyond me.

There will always be virus mutations, variants and waxing and waning as it becomes less of a pandemic and more an endemic population bug that we will ultimately have to learnt o live with. Why doesn't the government just let us get on with it??

Lencoboy
04-03-21, 17:49
Seems to me like a combination of lazy journalists (can't be bothered to go and seek out any significant news and over-hyping snippets of info about 'variants') plus the HSE and SAGE throwing out 'news' about a new 'variant' of the same old virus to stop the public getting too hopeful about a possibility of ending lockdown. Why they persist with this charade in the midst of successful vaccination roll-out and resultant efficacy, the seasonal respiratory virus naturally running out of steam as they do at this point in the year, and in the face of increasing 'lockdown fatigue; among the population is beyond me.

There will always be virus mutations, variants and waxing and waning as it becomes less of a pandemic and more an endemic population bug that we will ultimately have to learnt o live with. Why doesn't the government just let us get on with it??

Trouble is, the govt will always get it in the neck whatever the event.

They're pretty much always damned if they do and damned if they don't over nearly everything, and regardless of whichever PM/party is in power too.

The MSM and the serial 'know-it-alls'/
'Karens' on Facebook, Twitter, etc are sadly now 'the govt' as far as I'm concerned!!

I bet you a tenner in 6 month's time when we're hopefully more back to normal again we will no doubt be panicking about terrorism, violent crime, the economy, etc all over again.

Lencoboy
04-03-21, 18:27
Apparently another UK variant is suspected, according to the BBC website, with about 16 infectees, but all had tested positive on or around 15th Feb, so like the first confirmation of the Brazilian variant within our shores last Sunday, it's already been around within a similar timeframe.

So far, PHE don't believe that any major threat is currently posed.

Again, for all we know, they in turn could already be on the mend by now, just like those infected with the Brazilian variant.

Fishmanpa
04-03-21, 19:58
This certainly is a persistent little bugger eh? Makes the flu look like an amateur!

FMP

Lencoboy
05-03-21, 08:57
This certainly is a persistent little bugger eh? Makes the flu look like an amateur!

FMP

At least the authorities are now (at least here in the UK) are being far more proactive in managing the situation, and in particular, whenever and wherever any newer variants crop up.

A far cry from a year ago when this country was still mostly carrying on as normal (apart from the great stampede for toilet rolls and some other items) where people were still jetting off on holiday abroad, visiting pubs, theatres, cinemas, live music concerts, etc, and Bozzer still didn't believe in full-on lockdowns but finally relented on 23rd March last year by the time the original Covid situation here in the UK was becoming really dire.

At least the situation is much better defined one year on and we now have two vaccines being doled out, plus more to come in the not-too-distant future.

Lencoboy
05-03-21, 09:13
Strangely the BBC haven't even mentioned on their website the newly-discovered variant in the UK so far this morning whose currently-known infectees first tested positive almost 3 weeks ago on 15th Feb.

Obviously not much else to report on it ATM, so no news is good news.

pulisa
05-03-21, 19:48
That must be the Whitehall variant? Impossible to eradicate but can be controlled at the flick of a switch.

fishman65
05-03-21, 20:36

FMPAt the moment it does FMP and right now influenza appears to have vanished. However, what's the betting that it returns with a much more transmissible mutation due to our mask wearing etc? Evolutionary pressures and all that.

fishman65
05-03-21, 20:38
That must be the Whitehall variant? Impossible to eradicate but can be controlled at the flick of a switch.LOL Pulisa!! :D

MyNameIsTerry
06-03-21, 05:56
That must be the Whitehall variant? Impossible to eradicate but can be controlled at the flick of a switch.

A bitch of a virus that also has financial aspects: it files it's travel expenses as it spreads. :winks:

pulisa
06-03-21, 08:06
A bitch of a virus that also has financial aspects: it files it's travel expenses as it spreads. :winks:

Indeed it does. Questions certainly need to be be answered on this one but a definitive response to viral stimulus is often lacking. Data so far is inconsistent, track and trace has proved ineffective in some evasive cases.

fishman65
06-03-21, 14:34
Indeed it does. Questions certainly need to be be answered on this one but a definitive response to viral stimulus is often lacking. Data so far is inconsistent, track and trace has proved ineffective in some evasive cases.I've also heard Pulisa that some strains of this virus consider themselves superior to lesser 'common' viruses. Apparently they were bred in expensive labs situated in idealistic rural settings, very much isolated from the 'riff-raff' viruses. However I've heard this led to inappropriate 'interactions' within these labs between individual viruses, if you catch my drift :winks:

pulisa
06-03-21, 18:08
Drift well and truly caught, Fishman. Inbreeding is always a possibility and gives rise to deadlier strains, the Barnard Castle variant being an example.

Best practice advises said elite labs be heavily monitored in case of transgressions.

Lencoboy
06-03-21, 21:54
Some of these posts are really making me chuckle!!

pulisa
07-03-21, 08:15
Looks like the Farage variant has been isolated and tamed for the time being.

Lencoboy
07-03-21, 11:13
Looks like the Farage variant has been isolated and tamed for the time being.

Well I hope Farage himself gets tamed and doesn't try to 'bribe' himself into Number 10. I also hope his army of supporters don't attempt insurrection/ insurgency here in the UK either, especially following the recent Trump saga across the pond.

I am rather dreading our next GE, especially if Farage tries to do a Trump and accuses whoever wins it of 'stealing' the vote, and subsequently incites violence!

Dare I say it, as much as I despise Bozzer (and the Tories in general), I still consider him the lesser of the two evils compared to Farage.

pulisa
07-03-21, 14:04
Farage says he will be making a return to the public eye in a media role...There's a gap in the market now that The Jeremy Kyle Show is defunct.

Lencoboy
07-03-21, 17:49
Farage says he will be making a return to the public eye in a media role...There's a gap in the market now that The Jeremy Kyle Show is defunct.

Bozzer and Keir, put your feet down now?

Actually they probably won't, they'll probably just shrug it off and say 'it's all about democracy and freedom of expression, innit'!!

On the other hand, we hardly hear of the BNP anymore. Even UKIP are now a pale shadow of their former selves without their beloved Farage as leader.

Seems politics in general these days is more about the party leaders themselves and their 'gimmicks' rather than the actual parties as a whole.

But sadly, Labour now seem to be tainted forever, regardless of leader.

Pamplemousse
07-03-21, 18:08
Well, that's a permanent spot on BBC Question Time then.

Because we all need more pig-ignorant and opinionated gobshites in the media.

Pamplemousse
07-03-21, 18:11
As for Covid and its variants:

STOP WHINING! (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-56288548)

This is what happens when you elect populist idiots.

Lencoboy
07-03-21, 20:18
As for Covid and its variants:

STOP WHINING! (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-56288548)

This is what happens when you elect populist idiots.

Sadly I think many people are simply divorced from reality, period.

MyNameIsTerry
07-03-21, 21:20
Bozzer and Keir, put your feet down now?

Actually they probably won't, they'll probably just shrug it off and say 'it's all about democracy and freedom of expression, innit'!!

On the other hand, we hardly hear of the BNP anymore. Even UKIP are now a pale shadow of their former selves without their beloved Farage as leader.

Seems politics in general these days is more about the party leaders themselves and their 'gimmicks' rather than the actual parties as a whole.

But sadly, Labour now seem to be tainted forever, regardless of leader.

Many turned to UKIP over the EU. Once over they went back to Labour and the Tories. Then, along with the only real known person Farage leaving, they went further into racism. They sucked up some BNP supporters earlier, perhaps, but most of them probably headed the way of Tommy Robinson types.

Brexit killed off UKIP. Even Farage won't go back to them.

I remember one BNP councillor getting in around here but it was a right shitty area. Otherwise they never got anywhere in elections around here. They were more about certain places I reckon.

Funny that Farage has gone after starting down the anti lockdown route and now up pops Lawrence Fox for London mayor on that anti lockdown ticket. I wonder if this is Farage stepping aside?

pulisa
08-03-21, 08:10
Looks like the Markle variant might seek to target the most susceptible..

Lencoboy
08-03-21, 09:53
Looks like the Markle variant might seek to target the most susceptible..

Especially as she is now one of many scapegoats for all that's wrong with contemporary society!!

At least we can't play the blame game on Princess Diana, as she has been brown bread since 1997, though I suppose those who believe in the paranormal could still blame the ghosts of her.

Seems like anything is possible nowadays!

Pamplemousse
08-03-21, 12:00
Many turned to UKIP over the EU. Once over they went back to Labour and the Tories. Then, along with the only real known person Farage leaving, they went further into racism. They sucked up some BNP supporters earlier, perhaps, but most of them probably headed the way of Tommy Robinson types.

Brexit killed off UKIP. Even Farage won't go back to them.

I remember one BNP councillor getting in around here but it was a right shitty area. Otherwise they never got anywhere in elections around here. They were more about certain places I reckon.

Funny that Farage has gone after starting down the anti lockdown route and now up pops Lawrence Fox for London mayor on that anti lockdown ticket. I wonder if this is Farage stepping aside?

UKIP made racism acceptable (well, to tabloid-reading morons anyway); it didn't have the air of street brawlers that the BNP had. Please don't try to tell me that the "Breaking Point" poster with Farage stood in front of it was anything else. Farage is just a grifter looking for whatever will earn him loads of coin for little effort - I see he's now popped up on Cameo (https://www.cameo.com/nigelfarage). Heavens, the fact that Farage was rebuked by the Home Office - and let's not forget the nasty piece of work in charge of that - over his claims about immigrants bearing Covid should tell you something, quite apart from he's outlived his usefulness.

Lawrence Fox has competition in the mayoral sweepstakes from Brian Rose (https://brianformayor.london/) too.

Lencoboy
08-03-21, 13:02
UKIP made racism acceptable (well, to tabloid-reading morons anyway); it didn't have the air of street brawlers that the BNP had. Please don't try to tell me that the "Breaking Point" poster with Farage stood in front of it was anything else. Farage is just a grifter looking for whatever will earn him loads of coin for little effort - I see he's now popped up on Cameo (https://www.cameo.com/nigelfarage). Heavens, the fact that Farage was rebuked by the Home Office - and let's not forget the nasty piece of work in charge of that - over his claims about immigrants bearing Covid should tell you something, quite apart from he's outlived his usefulness.

Lawrence Fox has competition in the mayoral sweepstakes from Brian Rose (https://brianformayor.london/) too.

Just demonstrates how the gullible end up being roped into these political whims and fads.

Just a shame many school teachers have seemingly shied away from educating impressionable kids about the perils of misinformation in general.

In fact, I don't think many schools even bother with teaching religious education anymore, though I could be wrong, of course.

MyNameIsTerry
08-03-21, 13:38

Won't he be popping up on the new Andrew Neal channel?

Yes, the poster was as you say. But people did rightly have concerns about the camp in France and who it may be hiding. Some reporters went in there to provide evidence of poor conditions to be attacked which only backed up those worries.

Lencoboy
08-03-21, 14:10
Won't he be popping up on the new Andrew Neal channel?

Yes, the poster was as you say. But people did rightly have concerns about the camp in France and who it may be hiding. Some reporters went in there to provide evidence of poor conditions to be attacked which only backed up those worries.

Coupled with the fact that mainland Europe seemed to be in the grip of an epidemic of terrorist attacks at that time, and there was obviously (and understandably) a lot of disquiet about that on this side of the Channel.

What didn't help one jot was the media hyping it all up as per usual.