PDA

View Full Version : HEAD COLDS/ANTIBIOTICS AND SMOKING AAAGGGHHH

Laurie28
08-02-05, 12:09
Hiya Guys,

I haven't been on the forum for a week or so as, (once again) I have been laid up in bed with the flu and had to take the week off work.

What a nightmare. I wasn't fully recovered from my last bout when I caught this from my youngest son!

Anyway I got over the flu but developed a cough - I stopped smoking and started taking the patches but thought I would go to the doctors so he could check me out and he told me I had a chest infection and needed to take anti-biotics -AAAGGHHH - one of my biggest fears is prescription drugs!!

Anyway that was Thursday and have been taking them since Friday morning and have been very brave - apart from last night when I couldn't bear to take it (I have been imagining all sorts of swelling around my eyes!) anyway I am now on day 5 and due to finish them on Friday morning (cause I was a wimp last night or I would have been finished on Thursaday night!!)

I suppose I am just looking for reassurance about the antibiotics

Stopping smoking doesn't help either!!

Love
Lucky

seh1980
08-02-05, 12:53
hi Lucky,

It is very ironic that lots of people develop a cold or a chest infection when they stop smoking. Surely that's not fair, huh? You have been sticking to your meds which is great and I'm sure that as soon as you come off them, you will feel a lot better. Hang in there mate!!

Sarah :D

lainey
08-02-05, 13:25
Well done Lucky for taking your antiboitics, if you were going to get any side effects it would have shown within 24 hrs so you will be fine.
Well done with the ciggies, wish I could give up but don't want to use the patches, don't know why !

Take care

Elaine x

jill
08-02-05, 14:42
Hi Lucky

Sorry to here you have not been feeling very will.
A big WELL DONE for taking your meds.
You will soon be feeling better.
Keep up the good work with the cigs:(
wish I could pack in:D

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Meg
08-02-05, 15:04
HI Lucky,

Well done on giving up !!!!!!! Permenently ?!

If you were going to be allergic to antibiotics it would have happened on dose 1 or 2 .
If you were going to have minor sideffects they would have happened on day 2.

You're scott free hon.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

davebrum
08-02-05, 15:56
hi lucky
wow snap i have had the flu all this week and im on antibiotics for a chest infection mind ive smoked all the way through it which hasnt helped me (naughty boy)
when u have finished your antibiotics try and get some good bacteria into you yes i sound like the advert but honestly after antibiotics your gut needs good bacteria to rebalance your body im taking acidopholis tablets and feel a great improvement
love
dave

Karen
08-02-05, 16:28
Hi Lucky

Well done for giving up smoking.

You've done well to take the antibiotics given your fear of prescription medication. I hope you feel better soon.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Laurie28
08-02-05, 16:46
Hiya Guys,

Yip permanently giving up smoking Meg!!
One day at a time though

I have to succeed sometime I have tried so many times - and I wasn't even enjoying it - I am determined that this time will be the one.

I mean for god's sake I am twenty six and want to be fit and healthy - I've even started to eat oranges for the old vitamin C that I have been denying my body

Thanks for the information about the antibiotics it has really helped put my mind at ease - Side effects I think I can handle but still have the anaphalactic (sp???) shock fear. I think because my dad is allergic to penicillin (always has been) it has added to my fear - but I have taken them many times in the past - but since my anxiety took a hold of me I have never managed to get even half way through the course farless finish them - I was determined this time I would finish them

Dave - I was the same when I was ill last weekend - I asked my boyfriend to go to the shops and get me lemsips, lockets, hankies.... and ten cigarettes - absolutely mental I know!!!

Anyway it has been a week without a ciggy and even though I am on the patches - I am sooo chuffed with myself!!

Thanks for the encouragement and support it means sooo much to me

Love
Lucky

Meg
08-02-05, 16:50
Lucky -- what do you mean **even though I am on the patches**....

Hon- there are millions of people who won't even attempt to get off.
Like with anxiety use any means if help there is and do not belittle your attempt - you're doing great and its not an easy task !!

God luck

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

FAN
08-02-05, 18:07
keep up the good work on quitting the cigarrettes keep us posted how you go

fan x

Laurie28
14-03-05, 14:47
Hiya,

I'm on week 6 now of stopping smoking and feel quite good. Stepped down to step 2 on the patches

Lucky

nomorepanic
14-03-05, 14:54
Well done you!!:D[^]

Bet you feel better for it as well.

Keep up the good work!
xx

Nicola

Laurie28
14-03-05, 15:01
Hiya Nic,

yes i do feel better, I think having the antibiotics (i finished the course -any fear conquered) when I first stopped smoking helped as well as I haven't had a sore throat etc (yet!!)

I have also put on half a stone (now 9stone 2) which won't do me any harm!!

Lucky

lainey
14-03-05, 15:03
Hi lucky

Well done on the ciggies, I really want to give up now but don't want to bring anxiety back if I try.
The reason I don't want to use patches is that my hubby used them and had lots of vivid and weird dreams which I can do without right now.

Take care

Elaine x

Laurie28
14-03-05, 15:08
Lainey,

I have heard a couple of people say aabout the dreams - fortunetly I did not have any weird ones!!!

I was fortunate enough to have tried the patches a few years back so knew they were 'safe' for me

You can also get 16 hour patches now

Thanks

Lucky

Meg
14-03-05, 15:11
Lucky.. very well done indeed !

We're rooting for you

Love
Meg

mumof4
15-03-05, 11:07
well done for giving up smoking i wish i could but i cant im too stressed the now.

Laurie28
15-03-05, 11:21
Hiya,

Definetly think there is a 'right time' to try and give up smoking.

6 months ago wasn't the right time for me and my anxiety was at it's worst the last time I tried to give up (about a year and a half ago)

Hopefully when you are less stressed you will feel able to give it a bash

I am still in the early stages and know from previous experience it is far too easy to 'just have last one' ciggie. One day at a time eh!!!

Lucky