PDA

View Full Version : Is dog-napping the latest craze/moral panic?

Lencoboy
26-02-21, 08:25
Over the past week there have been reports about an epidemic of dog thefts, locally, nationally and internationally. The dog walker of pop star Lady Gaga (in the USA) was shot at and the dogs stolen, plus closer to home there have been reports of organised criminal gangs targeting certain breeds and even harassing people who are out walking their dogs.

Is this the latest 'moral panic' and is it the early 2020s answer to past crime panics like car crime in the 80s-90s and happy slapping in the 2000s?

MyNameIsTerry
26-02-21, 08:49
It has always been a thing. It's just cases bringing something to light the media can make some money out of. If it happens to celeb it's now a big deal when it happens to we normals throughout the year.

It's best not to apply this moral panic stuff to it. Next week they will be reporting about something else with this issue long forgotten. Just because they hype it up into something doesn't mean that's how daily life is. You would be afraid to go or do anything if life was as the media portray it. The media are as much a reason people have a negative bias to some breeds as the idiots that breed or train them into bad behaviours.

Animal abuse isn't new whether it's owner abuse, puppy farming, dog theft, etc. It always went on.

ankietyjoe
26-02-21, 10:23
Again, I'm not sure any of us (anxiety or not) need to be following the next phase of media hysteria about anything. I'm not sure it needs to be questioned or reported on, especially here.

Lolalee1
26-02-21, 10:47
^Agree.

Pamplemousse
26-02-21, 11:12
For some inexplicable reason, French Bulldogs are incredibly fashionable and sought after to the extent of what we have seen with the recent high-profile case.

Lencoboy
26-02-21, 14:07
What next?

Robbing makers' badges from vehicles?

Nah, that was already a big craze back in the late 80s-early 90s era, especially VW badges.

Nicking car audio systems?

Nah, that was done to death, again back in the 80s and 90s. Virtually impossible to half-inch from most of today's vehicles.

Nicking number plates?

Nicking catalytic converters?

Nicking metallic manhole covers?

Nicking lawnmowers?

Again, all well done to death already!

Fishmanpa
26-02-21, 14:39
For some inexplicable reason, French Bulldogs are incredibly fashionable and sought after to the extent of what we have seen with the recent high-profile case.

I watched a news story on this last night and that's what they were saying. Some Frenchies can bring up to $5K on the market. They also said the thieves were most likely unaware of the high profile owner. But with a $500K reward, I have a feeling they'll be found. Money surpasses loyalty in most cases.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
26-02-21, 17:15
It's a particularly despicable crime. I remember reading a poster detailing a dog stolen locally. As a dog owner I would be very upset if mine were taken. For this reason we never let him out at the front of the house without one of us being there. That and there are stupid people about who abuse animals for a laugh.

MyNameIsTerry
26-02-21, 17:18
What next?

Robbing makers' badges from vehicles?

Nah, that was already a big craze back in the late 80s-early 90s era, especially VW badges.

Nicking car audio systems?

Nah, that was done to death, again back in the 80s and 90s. Virtually impossible to half-inch from most of today's vehicles.

Nicking number plates?

Nicking catalytic converters?

Nicking metallic manhole covers?

Nicking lawnmowers?

Again, all well done to death already!

Manhole covers. Stolen and sold back to the same council. Maybe that bloke on the moped with the pizza boxes is really a manhole cover dealer? :biggrin:

How about lead off church roofs for your list?

WiredIncorrectly
26-02-21, 17:36
Red bricks were a thing too. We had an estate covered in them, so we'd nick them and sell them for chocolate money.

MyNameIsTerry
26-02-21, 17:47
Red bricks were a thing too. We had an estate covered in them, so we'd nick them and sell them for chocolate money.

You traded them for chocolate coins? You must have been young otherwise it would have been fags & beer money in your teens :biggrin:

WiredIncorrectly
26-02-21, 18:01
You traded them for chocolate coins? You must have been young otherwise it would have been fags & beer money in your teens :biggrin:

:roflmao:

I don't word things very well do I lmao. At that age I hadn't started smoking. I was just getting into the Adrian Mole books at the time. My uncle was like a del boy so he'd give us pennies for them. He probably made a fortune in return.

The area is still covered in red brick. There's probably easier ways to make money these days.

Lencoboy
26-02-21, 22:33
Manhole covers. Stolen and sold back to the same council. Maybe that bloke on the moped with the pizza boxes is really a manhole cover dealer? :biggrin:

How about lead off church roofs for your list?

Yes, I remember there being panic stations over metal thefts back in the mid-late 2000s, be it manhole covers, lead on roofs of churches, schools, stealing cabling from railways, etc.

Those metal theft crazes had mostly died down by the mid-2010s.

We don't seem to hear so much about phone thefts/robberies these days either, which were also a big thing back in the 2000s and the very early 2010s.

I think sometimes the media overdo it with these panic situations which can in turn become something of a vicious circle, the more people get scared by the often sensationalist media reporting on such issues, the more compelled the low-lifes of this world feel to indulge in their criminal pursuits, and so on.

I think that's also happened with the knife crime epidemic over recent years.

WiredIncorrectly
27-02-21, 02:52
The metal theft crazes are still a thing. I know it happens with the cat. converters still. The smarter criminals are taking cars and stripping them, flying the parts out where I assume there sold by a different "gang". The more expensive the car, the more money they make. This is why you hear about a lot of home invasions for the car keys.

Lencoboy
27-02-21, 08:35
The metal theft crazes are still a thing. I know it happens with the cat. converters still. The smarter criminals are taking cars and stripping them, flying the parts out where I assume there sold by a different "gang". The more expensive the car, the more money they make. This is why you hear about a lot of home invasions for the car keys.

I wonder if it they will be graduating to the audio systems next, if only for stripping for parts?

Also, is happy slapping still a thing these days?

MyNameIsTerry
27-02-21, 09:20
You rarely hear of happy slapping. Just like how homeless fights have gone out of the media eye.

Cheaper cars get targeting too for parts as they are easier to steal.

What about schools getting smashed up or set on fire? Don't here much of that now either.

Fishmanpa
27-02-21, 12:49
But with a $500K reward, I have a feeling they'll be found. Money surpasses loyalty in most cases.

Yep... just as I thought.... The dogs were returned. Someone is $500K richer!

Positive thoughts

Lencoboy
27-02-21, 14:48
You rarely hear of happy slapping. Just like how homeless fights have gone out of the media eye.

Cheaper cars get targeting too for parts as they are easier to steal.

What about schools getting smashed up or set on fire? Don't here much of that now either.

You're right, schools being smashed up and/or set on fire hardly ever seems to get talked about nowadays. It was quite commonplace in my area back in the 90s and early 2000s, but (touch wood) virtually unheard of these days.

Having said that, I don't think CCTV systems in schools started to become widespread until the latter half of the 2000s as many LEAs still seemed hesitant in investing in them, despite their being of much greater benefit in the long run, though unfortunately, many often don't tend to think ahead.

Ditto for mammoth pub fights, which were a common staple pre-2000s, again no longer mentioned to the extent that they once were, though obviously non-existent right now as all pubs still remain closed due to the lockdown.

WiredIncorrectly
27-02-21, 15:34
I wonder if it they will be graduating to the audio systems next, if only for stripping for parts?

Also, is happy slapping still a thing these days?

No lol. I got happy slapped randomly a few times. That was a stupid phase kids went through. It hurts worse than a punch.

WiredIncorrectly
27-02-21, 15:36
Who remembers standing outside the shop asking adults "Will go in the shop for me?" for cigarettes lol.

I don't see that too often either.

Lencoboy
27-02-21, 16:02
Who remembers standing outside the shop asking adults "Will go in the shop for me?" for cigarettes lol.

I don't see that too often either.

A common phenomenon back in the 90s when teen smoking seemed to be de rigueur.

Having said that, most shops just sold ciggies and booze to underage kids back then without giving it as much as a second thought, and people generally seemed a lot more blasé about ASB back then, compared to subsequent decades.

Noivous
04-03-21, 15:49
I'm not sure about dog napping but I do believe in daily cat napping.😸

Lencoboy
05-03-21, 16:03
Well last week's big dog-napping panic seems to have gone quiet this week, at least in my area.

Lencoboy
06-03-21, 13:48
Well last week's big dog-napping panic seems to have gone quiet this week, at least in my area.

Perhaps the incident concerning Lady Gaga's dogs provoked a few instances of 'copycat' dog-napping, but now that's water under the bridge, as her dogs were found alive and well, and returned.

There's always a bandwagon/craze of some kind trending. A bit like the toilet roll thing a year ago, which is also water under the bridge and mostly forgotten about now!

whispershadow
06-03-21, 16:52
Pet theft is a real worry for some people (me included), so my cats only go out when i am watching them, so i can be sure they are safe.

i dont have dogs.

BlueIris
06-03-21, 19:22
Pet theft is a real worry for some people (me included), so my cats only go out when i am watching them, so i can be sure they are safe.

i dont have dogs.

I agree with Whisper - calling it a bandwagon or craze is pretty insulting to those of us who care about our pets. I've been keeping quiet because I'm not in the best mental state right now, but it seems like quite a dismissive way to refer to a particularly distressing crime.

As well as having my own cats, I've rescued a few who've been found wandering around my workplace and returned them to their owners. In some cases they were missing for weeks, and the owners' relief has always been very real.

whispershadow
06-03-21, 22:28
Unlike parts of a car (or whatever) pets are actual living creatures. Just like having a child kidnapped.

Fishmanpa
06-03-21, 23:19
The situation with Gaga's dogs was the breed and the value. Of course, all our pets are precious and should be protected and that comes up to the owner. Chip your pets, don't let them outside unsupervised or outside of a fenced area. Ultimately, we are responsible for our furry children.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
07-03-21, 09:39
Unlike parts of a car (or whatever) pets are actual living creatures. Just like having a child kidnapped.

And sadly the law classes them as possessions. The recent case of the dog walker run over by some scumbags who left her there reveals such things. She was lucky to survive but very sadly her lovely staff bitch was killed.

We don't let our dog out at the front because of the chance of some idiot doing something.

My GF has found injuries on her cats before that seemed unlikely to be from another animal. It's much easier with a dog as you are with them but I would worry about a cat being out alone without me. But not just for this as I would worry about road accidents. One night coming home after shopping I saw cars stopping then driving around something in the road. When I got there it was a cat that had obviously been run over. So I got him off the road and with luckily living just around the corner I got my dad to give us a lift to our vets emergency service (it was at night). They rang us back to let us know he survived but the poor thing had a crushed pelvis and damaged rear legs. People were just driving around as if he was some debris. :mad:

whispershadow
07-03-21, 11:33
The situation with Gaga's dogs was the breed and the value. Of course, all our pets are precious and should be protected and that comes up to the owner. Chip your pets, don't let them outside unsupervised or outside of a fenced area. Ultimately, we are responsible for our furry children.

Positive thoughts

Unfortunately, some scum bags will break into someone's house to kidnap their pets, i've heard of that happening before :(

Lencoboy
07-03-21, 11:53
I agree with Whisper - calling it a bandwagon or craze is pretty insulting to those of us who care about our pets. I've been keeping quiet because I'm not in the best mental state right now, but it seems like quite a dismissive way to refer to a particularly distressing crime.

As well as having my own cats, I've rescued a few who've been found wandering around my workplace and returned them to their owners. In some cases they were missing for weeks, and the owners' relief has always been very real.

I didn't mean to cause any offence to anyone by the way I worded the title this thread, but I sincerely apologise to those who I have unwittingly upset.

Please remember that I am extremely anxious about this current situation myself.

Lencoboy
07-03-21, 11:57

Hopefully there won't be a sudden explosion in 'child-napping' next.

Or 'car-jacking'.

Noivous
07-03-21, 12:11
Hopefully there won't be a sudden explosion in 'child-napping' next.

Or 'car-jacking'.

That's already happened Lenso. And it's tragic.

Lencoboy
07-03-21, 12:53
That's already happened Lenso. And it's tragic.

Do you mean right now or historically?

whispershadow
07-03-21, 22:02
If a child or pet gets taken, unlike a inanimate object which can be replaced, there is always the thought of "is child or pet still alive" :(

MyNameIsTerry
07-03-21, 23:53
I always hope the poor pets at least go to a loving home, Whisper.

Lenco, I doubt there will be a child abduction craze. A craze being more the crowd following some new fashion of the celebs.

Pamplemousse
07-03-21, 23:59
I always hope the poor pets at least go to a loving home, Whisper.

Lenco, I doubt there will be a child abduction craze. A craze being more the crowd following some new fashion of the celebs.

What, you mean like clipping the ears of dogs?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-56302403

MyNameIsTerry
08-03-21, 05:22
What, you mean like clipping the ears of dogs?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-56302403

An abhorrent practice. One of the Banjo brothers recently used one of these celeb style importers.

It's stupid to ban it and then allow importation. These companies will get to appear to be charities, so not all will be stopped, but at least we should be checking the companies out before allowing importation.

BlueIris
08-03-21, 06:07
It's completely obscene. I have zero respect for anyone who wants a dog mutilated like that.

MyNameIsTerry
08-03-21, 07:55
It's just like how they breed animals to look a certain way. I remember seeing one poor dog in terrible distress in a BBC report. He had been bred to look cute but his skull was too small for his brain. It was truly an awful thing to see. This dog just kept trying to constantly scratch the pain in his head.

BlueIris
08-03-21, 09:19
I saw that, with the cavalier king charles spaniel. People who deliberately breed animals like that should be prosecuted.

Or pugs, lovely-natured dogs bred so ludicrously that most of them can't breathe or give birth naturally.

Lolalee1
08-03-21, 09:28
I agree on that,they should be banned from having any animal:mad:

BlueIris
08-03-21, 10:12
...Maybe don't compare women and animals on the same thread, Lenco? I don't mean to be cruel and I do get what you're saying - in a way - but it's not particularly appropriate.

MyNameIsTerry
08-03-21, 13:30

That's another still going on that the media have largely forgotten about.

Another is gay conversion therapy. The Labour proposed regulation of mental health practitioners was left to time out them reraised with gay conversion added but also left to time out. Useless politicians. This is an area badly in need.

EDIT: I'll adjust this to remove Lencos post.

Lencoboy
08-03-21, 13:42
Lencoboy, that post is right up there with saying to someone who's just lost their partner "oh, I had a dog that died". Get rid, NOW.

I did preface it with 'I don't mean to trigger or offend anyone', but obviously that's not good enough.

As per your request I shall delete it before I end up getting shot down in flames by others on here!

MyNameIsTerry
08-03-21, 13:51
I saw that, with the cavalier king charles spaniel. People who deliberately breed animals like that should be prosecuted.

Or pugs, lovely-natured dogs bred so ludicrously that most of them can't breathe or give birth naturally.

That's it, Blue. It was some time ago so I couldn't remember the breed. Didn't the reporter also question why the Kennel Club were encouraging this breeding?

Pugs are a good example. One of the handbag fashion accessory dogs where they care about how they look clutching it rather than having a healthy loving animal.

The same types in the celeb world will be having designed babies. Some already are.

Lencoboy
08-03-21, 13:57
...Maybe don't compare women and animals on the same thread, Lenco? I don't mean to be cruel and I do get what you're saying - in a way - but it's not particularly appropriate.

Well you'll be pleased to know that I've deleted the offending post.

BlueIris
08-03-21, 14:00
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Lencoboy
08-03-21, 14:03
I'm trying not to live in constant fear of all this and I'm still continuing to walk our dog on a daily basis.

I try to put it in perspective as there's plenty of other untoward things that might happen while I'm out on my daily walk, such as being mowed down by a bus, or a tree suddenly collapsing on top of me (and the dog), but I don't generally give those hazards as much as a second thought.

Lencoboy
08-03-21, 14:05
Thanks, I appreciate it.

No problem.

MyNameIsTerry
08-03-21, 14:11
I'm trying not to live in constant fear of all this and I'm still continuing to walk our dog on a daily basis.

I try to put it in perspective as there's plenty of other untoward things that might happen while I'm out on my daily walk, such as being mowed down by a bus, or a tree suddenly collapsing on top of me (and the dog), but I don't generally give those hazards as much as a second thought.

So would you say this thread was a general discussion based on reading a media story or an anxiety trigger framed as general discussion?

There's no shame in being triggered by this but I'm concerned we are talking about the topic when perhaps we need to be supporting you in dealing with how it made you feel.

BlueIris
08-03-21, 14:20
I missed that part, Terry. Lenco, I'm really sorry.

For what it's worth, I live in a rough area and every time we get a knock at the door the anxious part of me is secretly terrified my husband or I will be stabbed or have a firework thrown at us.

whispershadow
08-03-21, 14:31
It's just like how they breed animals to look a certain way. I remember seeing one poor dog in terrible distress in a BBC report. He had been bred to look cute but his skull was too small for his brain. It was truly an awful thing to see. This dog just kept trying to constantly scratch the pain in his head.

Thats awful :(

whispershadow
08-03-21, 14:53

For what it's worth, I live in a rough area and every time we get a knock at the door the anxious part of me is secretly terrified my husband or I will be stabbed or have a firework thrown at us.

i hope you and your husband remain safe, Blue

Lencoboy
08-03-21, 15:01

Yes, I totally understand the feeling, and I thank my lucky stars that we live in a fairly respectable area.

But it's thankfully very rare that people get stabbed, shot or have fireworks lobbed at them seemingly at random by strangers, as in the vast majority of fatal stabbing/shooting incidents, the perpetrators and victims tend to be known to each other, and usually at war with each other too.

BlueIris
08-03-21, 15:02
This is what I have to keep on reminding myself. We did have a firework hit the door last year but I'm pretty sure we were just unlucky.

Lencoboy
08-03-21, 15:51
This is what I have to keep on reminding myself. We did have a firework hit the door last year but I'm pretty sure we were just unlucky.

Perhaps the firework hitting your door last year happened by chance rather than specifically targeted at you and your property.

I can't imagine any of the local disaffected yoof in your area having the needle with you specifically in any obvious way.

BlueIris
08-03-21, 15:59
Definitely just an accident, yes. We're very careful to get on with the neighbours because we've seen what happens to people who don't.

Noivous
08-03-21, 16:23
Do you mean right now or historically?

I read recently lenso that in Tennessee alone they've just id'd a couple hundred missing kids. I believe this world has/is descending into an extremely ugly place in regard to children. Much of it due to the advent of the internet probably. Take the Jeffery Epstein case alone. He was into some seriously warped stuff with some extremely well known people. And I do not think he committed suicide.

Lencoboy
08-03-21, 16:47
All in all there will always be something that causes fear and disquiet amongst the general populace.

Twas ever thus I suppose.

Lencoboy
11-03-21, 21:27
It's now the Sarah Everard thing that's the big panic-inducing headline.

MyNameIsTerry
12-03-21, 06:19
RIP and condolences to the family.

It might be so high profile because they arrested one of their own. Then there has been a mysterious head injury whilst in custody and now an investigation into a potential crime he committed a couple of weeks ago. It's bad enough without it being the very people you expect to protect you and then bad smells arise about handling.

This happens when someone goes missing and is later found murdered especially when it's women or children. And now the media are so widespread the resultant debate it raises will be raised along with it.

Maybe it's better we react with shock than a meh? It will make us think. It will make public servants work harder to stop it when they have to appease the public.

There is always the fringe overreaction stuff found in some opinion pieces that see everyone as guilty and apply generalisations but that's just discussion down the pub on a larger scale. They just want to sell papers, increase profile, etc. But the work by charities to lobby for change is what matters.

Lencoboy
12-03-21, 08:18
RIP and condolences to the family.

It might be so high profile because they arrested one of their own. Then there has been a mysterious head injury whilst in custody and now an investigation into a potential crime he committed a couple of weeks ago. It's bad enough without it being the very people you expect to protect you and then bad smells arise about handling.

This happens when someone goes missing and is later found murdered especially when it's women or children. And now the media are so widespread the resultant debate it raises will be raised along with it.

Maybe it's better we react with shock than a meh? It will make us think. It will make public servants work harder to stop it when they have to appease the public.

There is always the fringe overreaction stuff found in some opinion pieces that see everyone as guilty and apply generalisations but that's just discussion down the pub on a larger scale. They just want to sell papers, increase profile, etc. But the work by charities to lobby for change is what matters.

Yes, you're right, Terry.

Had Sarah Everard been Black the BLM protesters would have been back out en masse throughout the whole country (and possibly even worldwide), or could there soon be a WLM (Women's Lives Matter) movement suddenly spring up?

It's also a recurrence of the stereotyping and demonisation of men in general and even the OTT calls from a group on social media to ban all lone men from the streets after dark, just like all the relentless stereotyping and demonisation of all teenagers of both male and female and the ill-fated ASBOs thing.

I'm also dreading the day when a person with ASD commits a high profile murder and every person with the condition inadvertently gets tarred with the same brush and labelled a nutjob, and all should be locked up.

Plus of course The Scum, Daily Fail, etc would no doubt be gleefully having field days over it!!

Lencoboy
14-03-21, 12:45
I just hope that last night's clash between police officers and protesters at Clapham Common won't result in 'copycat' incidents across the rest of the country, where baying mobs who are simply out for a scrap start attacking the police willy-nilly.

Lencoboy
14-03-21, 16:37
There's already baying mobs gathering outside Scotland Yard in central London.

Hope it's not gonna be August 2011 all over again?

Lencoboy
17-03-21, 08:16
Now the headlines are mostly about the shunning of the Oxford AZ vaccine in the EU and the blood clot scares, but there are already threads on here dedicated to this in the Covid sub-section, so no point in elaborating in this particular thread.

MyNameIsTerry
17-03-21, 13:54
There's already baying mobs gathering outside Scotland Yard in central London.

Hope it's not gonna be August 2011 all over again?

Hijacked, sadly. Defund the police placards, even anti placards, anti police chants like ACAB, etc.

I hope the virus doesn't increase because of this.

whispershadow
17-03-21, 15:06
Yes, you're right, Terry.

Had Sarah Everard been Black the BLM protesters would have been back out en masse throughout the whole country (and possibly even worldwide), or could there soon be a WLM (Women's Lives Matter) movement suddenly spring up?

It's also a recurrence of the stereotyping and demonisation of men in general and even the OTT calls from a group on social media to ban all lone men from the streets after dark, just like all the relentless stereotyping and demonisation of all teenagers of both male and female and the ill-fated ASBOs thing.

I'm also dreading the day when a person with ASD commits a high profile murder and every person with the condition inadvertently gets tarred with the same brush and labelled a nutjob, and all should be locked up.

Plus of course The Scum, Daily Fail, etc would no doubt be gleefully having field days over it!!

The Daily Fail etc has a field day over anything and everything ...............

Lencoboy
20-03-21, 16:49
The stuff about both dog-napping and the Sarah Everard case seems to have virtually vanished from the UK headlines ATM.

Today it's been about an anti-lockdown protest in central London.

Honestly what's the point, as restrictions are steadily being eased over the coming weeks.

MyNameIsTerry
20-03-21, 18:35
The stuff about both dog-napping and the Sarah Everard case seems to have virtually vanished from the UK headlines ATM.

Today it's been about an anti-lockdown protest in central London.

Honestly what's the point, as restrictions are steadily being eased over the coming weeks.

Various reasons but one relevant to now would be Patel's anti protest Bill.

Lencoboy
21-03-21, 22:26
Various reasons but one relevant to now would be Patel's anti protest Bill.

I think you're right, as it's all kicked off in Bristol today.

Cue various inevitable copycat attacks on the police and police stations up and down the country over the coming days.

Then probably schools and hospitals.

And then shops and so on.

Just like August 2011 all over again!!

MyNameIsTerry
21-03-21, 22:41
I think you're right, as it's all kicked off in Bristol today.

Cue various inevitable copycat attacks on the police and police stations up and down the country over the coming days.

Then probably schools and hospitals.

And then shops and so on.

Just like August 2011 all over again!!

Same types that just want to smash stuff up. Need for fairness or hatred of the police? The chants and graffiti seem more the latter.

Bristol seems like a follow on from the BLM troubles.

Lencoboy
21-03-21, 23:34
Same types that just want to smash stuff up. Need for fairness or hatred of the police? The chants and graffiti seem more the latter.

Bristol seems like a follow on from the BLM troubles.

It does seem like Bristol has been fair game for aggro since last summer.

First of all, the BLM kerfuffle with the toppling of the Colston statue, now all this anti-police nonsense!

Probably just brain-dead morons who have been spoiling for a riot for ages.

BlueIris
22-03-21, 04:52
Colston was a slave trader, though. Do you not see the need for progress? You calling BLM a kerfuffle as a white dude only goes to prove the need for it.

Additionally, I know I'm going to get fire and brimstone rained down on me for this, but the police need to be held accountable. Not talking about the lockdown protests - it's been a long year and people are fractious and yes, some are acting like idiots. That said, there's a long history of the police literally getting away with murder, and now the government seem to be doing their best to ban people from speaking up about it. It's terrifying - people need the right to speak up to power and it worries me to my core that these rights are being slowly stripped away.

MyNameIsTerry
22-03-21, 06:01
Progress through peaceful demonstration. Not violence. Progress isn't mob justice either. Unintended consequences: maybe we all want to tear something down? Isn't that point of law?

Are we sleepwalking into authoritarianism or marching ourselves into it through our own actions? Patel gets to raise this Bill off the back of these events and a lot of people in the public who disapprove.

Personally I think the police have enough to already deal with this. They've been dealing with public demos and riots for decades. It feels more like the government forcing a reluctant police force into action. But just because Patel passes a law who says the same police will use it if they are hesitant with valid existing powers?

BlueIris
22-03-21, 06:06
It is, yes, but peaceful demonstrations are also being banned or heavily policed. It's a tricky line to walk, but I think that sometimes people need to speak up.

I also find it rather fishy that this latest clampdown comes directly after a senior police officer is accused of having done something unspeakable.

MyNameIsTerry
22-03-21, 06:18
Blue, I don't see why you will get fire & brimstone for wanting the police to be as accountable to the law as the rest of us. It's nothing new, corruption has been around since the first plod walked a beat. It's just typical of human beings and power no matter what the industry. They cover up for their own.

Maybe Dick wanted to brush it under the carpet to take the spotlight off her? If she did she's naive. But all public demos should be clamped down on until this virus is under control. Now the Met have retreated back to their previous tactics of standing around.

MyNameIsTerry
22-03-21, 06:21
It's also worth noting nothing is forever. Another party can gain a majority and overturn this. The lack of opposition is a problem right now but that can change.

Lencoboy
22-03-21, 08:12
Blue, I don't see why you will get fire & brimstone for wanting the police to be as accountable to the law as the rest of us. It's nothing new, corruption has been around since the first plod walked a beat. It's just typical of human beings and power no matter what the industry. They cover up for their own.

Maybe Dick wanted to brush it under the carpet to take the spotlight off her? If she did she's naive. But all public demos should be clamped down on until this virus is under control. Now the Met have retreated back to their previous tactics of standing around.

Like you implied in your last paragraph, these protests are bad timing as we're still in a pandemic. And whilst I can understand many people now feeling a sense of restlessness after being denied many things they would usually otherwise take for granted, and especially one year after the start of our first national lockdown, it does seem like the usual anarchists suddenly seeping out of the woodwork en masse who just want a scrap for the sake of it, rather than protesting against 'real' injustices relating to policing in the UK.

Let's face it, our plod aren't routinely armed nor routinely trigger-happy (unlike other countries). And like you said, corruption has existed both in the police force and in virtually all other establishments pretty much since time immemorial, so hardly exclusive to early 2020s Britain.

I wonder why it was specifically Bristol that was the scene of yesterday's incident?

At least the BBC acted fairly responsibly by not referring to said event as a 'riot'.

WiredIncorrectly
30-03-21, 18:48

i dont have dogs.

I've lived here about 6 years and had 4 cats. First was outdoor, he went missing. Second was indoor, he escaped and went missing. Same with the third and fourth. I've decided not to get another cat. Somebody is stealing them, or eating them. I haven't seen any of them since.

Lencoboy
30-03-21, 20:36
I've lived here about 6 years and had 4 cats. First was outdoor, he went missing. Second was indoor, he escaped and went missing. Same with the third and fourth. I've decided not to get another cat. Somebody is stealing them, or eating them. I haven't seen any of them since.

Is there any actual evidence of 'cat-napping' in your area of late, e.g, warnings in the local press, etc?

Remember that cats sometimes do tend to wander off and (occasionally) not return home, and have done ever since time immemorial.

It does seem as though the dog-napping panic has settled down a bit ATM, both locally and nationally, as the media seem to have piped down over it lately.

WiredIncorrectly
30-03-21, 21:43
Is there any actual evidence of 'cat-napping' in your area of late, e.g, warnings in the local press, etc?

Remember that cats sometimes do tend to wander off and (occasionally) not return home, and have done ever since time immemorial.

It does seem as though the dog-napping panic has settled down a bit ATM, both locally and nationally, as the media seem to have piped down over it lately.

No evidence no. There are some native Chinese neighbors about 5 doors down and they hang meat out to dry. We live on a hill and the sun blasts us all day. I've seen some odd meat hanging outside. I assume this is to preserve the meat. We've joked that they're stealing the cats.

MyNameIsTerry
30-03-21, 22:58

Dog theft has increased during lockdown according to campaigners I've seen. Sounds like it's not click bait when it's not a celeb...

Lencoboy
31-03-21, 08:53
Dog theft has increased during lockdown according to campaigners I've seen. Sounds like it's not click bait when it's not a celeb...

Yes I definitely know that, but I was was merely pointing out that the media appear to have gone quieter over it over the past few weeks.

Lolalee1
31-03-21, 10:10
No evidence no. There are some native Chinese neighbors about 5 doors down and they hang meat out to dry. We live on a hill and the sun blasts us all day. I've seen some odd meat hanging outside. I assume this is to preserve the meat. We've joked that they're stealing the cats.

Over here there is always people joking about pussy’s hanging around outback of Chinese restaurants,umm that Lemon chicken I had on Sunday night was tasty.:roflmao:

Lencoboy
31-03-21, 17:27
Over here there is always people joking about pussy’s hanging around outback of Chinese restaurants,umm that Lemon chicken I had on Sunday night was tasty.:roflmao:

Or much rather, 'is this thing about cats and Chinese people the latest conspiracy theory'?

WiredIncorrectly
01-04-21, 13:36
Or much rather, 'is this thing about cats and Chinese people the latest conspiracy theory'?

No lol. It's an old one. My Dad was joking about it 30 years ago.

Lencoboy
12-06-21, 18:55
It's horrible. How many similar cases have there been? Were people able to find the dogs?

Don't really know, as the media don't appear to have been giving as much attention recently, at least not locally to us, anyway.

Lencoboy
28-07-22, 19:55
I totally understand how you feel regarding the current financial and political climate, etc. But at least the media haven't been milking the dog-napping thing to death as much recently like they were in late 2020-early 2021.

Ditto for certain other issues of recent years that have been frequent subjects of 'moral panics', such as knife crime, terror threats, etc, which some people also believed were overdone by the media a fair bit on occasions, and in some instances even went onto becoming self-fulfilling prophecies.