PDA

View Full Version : Right Sided Chest Pain

willll
13-03-21, 22:50
Hey everyone. I知 wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this.

I get chest pain on and off ever few days on the right side near my 2nd and 3rd ribs about 3 inches over from my sternum. The pain can be sharp, burning, and sometimes radiates to my armpit area.

I went to urgent care about this maybe 2 weeks ago as I was concerned it may be a pulmonary embolism. Doctor said it was probably muscular.

I知 just wondering if anyone has ever had a similar experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glassgirlw
13-03-21, 23:01
Loads of times. I find it’s usually gas bubbles.

willll
14-03-21, 17:59
thanks for response. I知 still having the pain, and can稚 stop worrying about a pulmonary embolism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thorey
17-03-21, 23:03
Hi!
First of all, pulmonary embolism is a reeeally common thing for doctors to deal with, and most often easily diagnosed. If they are even slightly unsure they will definitely go forward with CT scans. If they don't, that means they are very, very confident it's not the case.

Pulmonary embolism is more of an emergency case, with serious dyspnea and intense, sudden(!) pain. Things that speak very strongly against you having a pulmonary embolism is:
1) On and off pain. A pulmonary embolism gives intense, ongoing pain, NOT on/off.
2) Time span of several days, even weeks. A pulmonary embolism typically gives very sudden, intense pain, and is urgent. Doesn't go on for weeks. If you had a pulmonary embolism, you'd be dead (or, more likely, diagnosed and treated) already!
3) Pain seems to be your only symptom. If you had pulmonary embolism, you would likely find it very hard to breathe, like VERY hard.
4) 90% of pulmonary embolism is a complication of DVT, deep vein thrombosis. If you haven't had a swollen, painful and red leg before the symptoms, embolism isn't likely.

On the other hand, muscular pain in the ribcage is VERY common, and can be so painful people are worried about having a heart attack (or pulmonary embolism). I have it myself some weeks, frustrating but not worrying since I know it's common and harmless. A lot of times, it doesn't hurt when you press on the area even if it's muscular. But if it does hurt when you press it, that pretty much proves it's muscular.

/med student (with health anxiety)

Pamplemousse
18-03-21, 11:34
To add to Thorey's excellent response: a colleague of mine was diagnosed with a PE at the end of 2019. It was distressing to talk to him - he took a short walk from the workplace canteen to my workshop ( no more than 150m) and he had to gasp for breath *between every word he spoke*.

A PE is A Very Bad Thing indeed.