PDA

View Full Version : Asbestos worry

Hetty80
15-03-21, 06:42
Hi everyone, thank you for taking the time to read over my message. I worry a lot about asbestos :-( and have recently heard that there is possible asbestos on the school grounds where my children go and I work. It is outdoors but they’re not getting anyone in to handle it correctly. Apparently the caretaker is going to take it down the skip. My husband says it’s outdoors and that there is no risk to the children but I feel like it’s going to be blowing all around the playground. Does anyone know if I’m being irrational or not?

ankietyjoe
15-03-21, 09:28
Asbestos is like smoking. Danger occurs from prolonged, enclosed exposure.

The risk is virtually zero.

Lencoboy
15-03-21, 16:52
Asbestos is like smoking. Danger occurs from prolonged, enclosed exposure.

The risk is virtually zero.

Also a bit like Covid I guess, where danger tends to be more pronounced from enclosed exposure (and most certainly if prolonged), but the risks generally far less outdoors.

Hetty80
15-03-21, 17:55
Thank you for your reply! This is reassuring but I’ve read it only takes one fibre to get trapped in your lungs for it to be a problem in the future. It’s my children I’m worried about 😥.

Fishmanpa
15-03-21, 18:07
Thank you for your reply! This is reassuring but I’ve read it only takes one fibre to get trapped in your lungs for it to be a problem in the future. It’s my children I’m worried about .

You're really making a Mt. Everest out of an ant hill here. Your children (and all of us) consume more crap in our diets, the air we breath in general (car exhaust, cleaning agents, pollution etc.) as well as are exposed to germs and carcinogens in our everyday life than your scenario.

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
15-03-21, 19:02
Also a bit like Covid I guess, where danger tends to be more pronounced from enclosed exposure (and most certainly if prolonged), but the risks generally far less outdoors.

Well not really no because you can catch covid from a single exposure, but you could breath in asbestos dust all day long and it would be unlikely to ever cause you any problems. It absolutely requires repeated, prolonged exposure. I learned this from an asbestos removal firm when I worked in construction.

tommeasor
19-03-21, 10:21
I'm 72 now with COPD and I keep getting tested for lung damage due to Aspestos. I was exposed to Asbestos 53 years ago while clearing up a mess after a chemical plant explosion. The Asbestos covered pipes to keep the heat in and after the explosion it was 2 inches deep on the floor, which we had to sweep and shovel up - no masks, no protection what so ever; it wasn't realized it was dangerous back then and I must of breathed a lot of it in. What I'm trying to say is that you have to be exposed to for a long time and not everyone develops asbestosis, though the guys I worked with back then have recently passed away with it after 50 years.

Pamplemousse
26-03-21, 15:38
Thank you for your reply! This is reassuring but I’ve read it only takes one fibre to get trapped in your lungs for it to be a problem in the future. It’s my children I’m worried about 😥.

That's been pretty much disproven.