PDA

View Full Version : Asking questions is making a difference

carriewriting
17-03-21, 10:38
Hi all, lately I've been making some progress with my health anxiety.

Therapy has uncovered that I have a lot of shame and embarrassment about my health anxiety. Often I put on a brave face/act at doctor's appointments, but then go home and spiral or panic about things that have been said that I was too ashamed to ask about.

Now I'm forcing myself to ask more questions and it's making a big difference. For example, yesterday I had my eyes checked for an issue I had last year and while things still aren't normal the doc said it's nothing to be concerned about and we'll keep monitoring it. Normally I would have just left, but instead I kept asking questions about every panicked thought in my head and by the end of the appointment I was feeling calm and reassured.

An example of where I didn't do this was today when I saw my GP. Everything was fine at my appointment, but as I was leaving she reminded me that I needed follow-up blood tests for my iron level and liver function.

I had slightly elevated liver function last year but at my test in November she said it was back in the normal range. My iron levels have been low for years (but not anaemic so she's just keeping an eye on it.)

So I wasn't surprised about the iron, but I was thrown about the liver function. I had a fear reaction, but didn't act on it. I should have asked her about it, but I didn't and now it's nagging at me. Lesson learned. Ask the questions!

Sharing in case this helps you too :)

Carys
17-03-21, 11:05
This is SUCH a valid point, and something I've commented on for quite a few years on this forum. We see so many people coming away from doctor's appointments and then coming on here to ask questions that they should have asked the doctor. In some cases the questions came after they left the room, but in lots of cases the questions were in their heads in the room and for whatever reason they didn't voice them. Asking questions, being in control of the information you want to know is so critical to my mind. I think for some people they panic instantly (as you said you did) and some stick their head in the sand not wanting to know incase its 'bad news' but then this nags away at them for days and weeks, some don't want to cause bother and feel intimidated by the medic or environment or feel rushed and stressed and want to leave. One thing I learned myself 5 years ago, as I'm a person who needs and wants answers even if those answers aren't good news, is that knowledge and certainty is something that helps me. It is the 'not knowing' that causes much more stress, as even people who have some dreadful health news feel they are calmer after the facts. I applaud your approach and say to anyone the sme as you - ASK QUESTIONS. You have a right to, its important, and it helps. If you feel you simply can't get your head in gear in the appointment, as you leave ask the medic you have seen if there is anyway they can ask further questions afterwards, a contact point.