PDA

View Full Version : How to cope with Lightheadedness from anxiety?

JackInTheBox
17-03-21, 16:39
Hello everyone, it's been a while...

I'm back to writing at this forum because I'm going through something that I cannot cope with. When I first discovered this community (maybe 10 years ago), the advice and support I got here made a world of difference! To the point of me being able to overcome a condition that was totally incapacitating and leading me to some very dark places. I will never be grateful enough for that.

Now I find myself on the cusp of a crisis that I want to prevent before its too late. At this point you might want to get a cup of tea or a confortable chair, because this is going to be long. I apologise for that, but I felt that context could be important to express the impact and my background with anxiety.

I'll start by providing some quick context about my anxiety issues and to where I am now. When I first came to this community I was undergoing a full-blow crisis of heath anxiety, namely obcessed with a heart disease. I had constant palpitations and other symptoms, it was interfering with my life and work, I couldn't sleep or live (in a general sense) without being consumed by negative thoughts and general paranoia. Did a ton of exams (no issues), which lead to more anxiety. At the time I wasn't even aware such a thing was possible and got convinced I was sick and no one could diagnose it. It was a mess that lasted almost a year, during which I was shadow of myself and barely lived.

With the advice, support and shared experience of this community, I was able to pinpoint the problem (heath anxiety), found ways to cope with it and at some extent prevent it. Make no mistake, the anxiety is still here and I guess it will ever be, but until now I was able to manage the worst of it (symptons), sometimes prevent it all together and, in a way, not be carried down the rabbit hole of obcessing over it. Unfortunately this changed recently.

During the years that followed my crisis and recuperation I've had my relapses, but mostly due to poor life-planning and overall anxiety, not by obcessing over it. You see, after being "free" of the first burden (it felt like it at the time), I was so inspired to follow my own path and change my life (to make it easier to cope with anxiety). Ironically of all things, I decided to create a company... I later successfully exited it, changed my life a bit more and eventually started another one, where I am still a partner. Goes without saying that those are not stress-free activities, but my tendency for obcessing over things seems to work well when aimed at practical or strategic things.

Before having the companies, I found myself overthinking or obcessing with the most futile things, this eventually lead me down the path of health anxiety. After having the companies, it was like I've found an outlet for what I call "paranoia energy" and it worked quite well on that end.

It wasn't without consequence though, during these 10 or so years I've spent two weeks bedridden on Valium (doctor's orders) followed by a couple more weeks of absolute rest, because I've burned my self out into a point where I would get frightning tachycardia episodes just from answering trivial business calls. Then a couple years after that episode (during 2019) I spent about a month struggling with persistent palpitation episodes, the anxiety came not from the palpitations themselves, but from fear of having the tachycardia events again. However as a consequence of both events, following on each one I did both life and changes in the business to mitigate my stress and anxiety. Can't say it was a resounding success, but they helped for sure.

Then COVID came. Surprisingly I was able to cope quite well with the pandemic, but I had to give full reign to my paranoid side to make it work. The business went into full remote very early in the spread (early February), I locked myself indoors and crancked paranoia to 11 under a form of procedures and rituals that made me feel safe and calm. I also adapted this approach so that I was able to visit loved ones or have the occasional reunion with friends without losing my wits. Life-work balance was a challenge, but thanks to a number of hobbies and other psicho-therapic occupations, I was able to keep it steady and maintain a positive mindset over the whole ordeal. There were of course moments of stress and anxiety, but they went away without further issue, mostly due to the changes I've mentioned earlier and the mindset I kept.

Enter the new crisis!

As of late 2020 and through these last few months, my life suffered a number of changes and the balance was hindered. Firstly work has intensified ten-fold, mostly due to the company being unexpectedly successful and we were having a hard-time keeping up with demand. We are did changes to organize and respond, but in the meantime stress, long hours and poor sleep took hold. While the situation is now close to being under control, it took a toll. Then as a consequence of that success, insinuations about life-changing prospects start to come up in business calls, still just as possibilities and mostly likely inconsequent. However, as we all know, if you tell an anxious, obsessive person that their wishes might come true (and there is a solid, rational approach to do it), that thought will burrow and take hold of its mind. Then, to make the picture complete, on a personal level things happened, namely being informed that a baby is on the way. This news brought joy and concern in equal amounts.

The combination of overworking, obcessing over hypothetical success perspectives and a full-blown life change have the capacity to throw one off the anxiety-management wagon. I feel that I'm currently holding on the edge of it by the skin of my teeth.

While these events have been unfolding over the last four months, I had some signs of anxiety. The occasional Lightheadedness, tension all over muscles, neck pain, the random palpitation. Nothing new so far and usually manageable. However on the last three/four weeks one symptom became proeminent and almost triggered a full-blow crisis: Lightheadedness.

It started as an occasional thing, more frequent at day's end and it crept his way into become almost constant. As it became more constant, I started to worry about it. Not long after, I was making all the mistakes again, namely visiting Dr. Google. As such, quickly I became overwhelmed by the possibility of being a diabetic, with high-blood pressure, cancer, thyroid issues and maybe a neurological disease. However my past experience and teachings from this forum kicked in and I moved to debunk those thoughts. A simple action as a glucose test (normal) and having my blood pressure measured (also normal) were enough to reassure me that my body should be fine. I also correlated the occurence of lightheadedness with work, since I noticed that when the day was spent resting or just relaxing I would feel fine, but as soon as I started to work episodes would trigger.

So now I'm at a point where:

-Lightheadedness causes me anxiety
-I'm aware that this is provably a consequence or toll from the last few months.
-I'm aware that this is anxiety/stress related
-I'm stressed because I feel I can't relax. Can't shake the thought of having to relax even when I'm relaxing, which in turn causes anxiety. (yes, I'm in this silly place)
-I now constantly fear that I'm headed to some sort of breakdown or bigger crisis, with long-term consequences, that in turn prevents me to work or live life, turns my future child destitute and makes everyone around me unhappy and miserable.

What I am doing to cope/manage:

-Took days off from work. Couldn't shut down completely, but I've passed along all tasks I could and my current workload is about 1 to 2 hours/day for the next couple days. Less in the upcoming weeks.
-Changed sleeping habits, namely going to bed earlier and trying to sleep a healthy amount of hours everyday.
-Trying to rest, undertake psicho-therapic activities and hobbies that if not relaxing, at least make me focus on something else for a while, giving my mind and body a break from all the obsessing.
-Pop the occasional Valerian pill. GP told me that since I have low tolerance to this sort of medication (I don't take anxiety meds), they can be quite effective in causing mild relaxation, thus shaking off or weakening anxiety symptoms.

I'm at day 2 of this management approach, I don't know if IK'm doing it right, these are mostly things I've picked up for general anxiety management. What else can I do to manage this and prevent a larger crisis? How can I cope or mitigate something like lightheadedness?

All help and insight are most welcome at this point!

Scissel
17-03-21, 19:18
Hello there..

Just wanted to let you know I've read your posting .. and I think its great you are able to lay that out so well.

Even though you're struggling, I do think you are on the right track; given your circumstances. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate and you had to deal with it as best as you could. You picked yourself up after 10 years to back on 2 feet and your trying to get things together.

Good to hear Valerian works for you - it didn't help me and getting your sleep back on track will do wonders.

I'm sorry I don't have better advice for you.

All the best,

~S

Scass
17-03-21, 19:28
Hello! I did enjoy reading your post, although I’m sorry that you’re suffering.
I’m glad that you are taking steps to help yourself. It’s really hard to get a work life balance at the moment isn’t it? I find I work much longer hours while I’m at home than I do at the office.

When I get lightheaded with anxiety, I know it’s a sign to do something completely different. Usually this means going out and/or a change of scenery. It pretty much always goes if I have done something pleasant and distracted myself so fully that I didn’t realise I was distracting myself - I was just living a normal life.

It’s also very much related to breathing, and once your breathing goes back to normal - so will the light headedness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carys
17-03-21, 19:35
I also read, and I think you are a really proactive person, who is working so hard on doing the best you can to deal with difficult mental health and life changes - I think you'll get there and I have nothing in terms of advice, just offering encouragement.

Alde
17-03-21, 23:09
Well done on the business mate! I’ve recently started my own business after struggling with health anxiety so can relate with a fair bit of your story.

You probably don’t feel it, but you’re doing great. Noticing that your anxiety is trying to come back and being proactive in not letting it is brilliant.

Use your experience of health anxiety before, you know what you should and should not be doing. There’s no way you can fall in to another breakdown with that knowledge on your side.

Health anxiety got to me so badly because it caught me unaware and I’m sure it was the same with you. You’re aware of it now, carry on with all of the good things you’re doing and you’ll get through it in no time.

Best of luck mate and I wish you continued success with the business.

JackInTheBox
18-03-21, 03:32
Thanks everyone for the kind words and support! Also for reading such a long text!

@Scass: I followed your advice. Took a very long walk today with the missus, we talked about anxiety and how it could be overcomed, what causes it and so on. Felt good, liberating actually.

@Alde: Thanks! Starting a business does seem counter-intuitve for anxious people, but it does provide a great outlet for it. The hardest thing to achieve was setting up things in a way that the boat wouldn't sink if I need to take a couple of weeks off or to lighten the stress load (both mine and everyone else's). It took some experimenting and tweaking. It's not perfect at the moment, but its working, so that's one less thing to worry my busy mind.

Right now I feel calm, collected and relaxed. Looking back to the hard moments of the last couple of days, the whole thing looks like a distant dream. It almost seems impossible that the person stressing and myself were actually the same. This problem is funny like that, it takes such a hold of us, occupies so much time and attention... and when it lets go, even if for a few hours, the whole world seems to change.

And here is the strangest thing, earlier today I was trying to relax and I felt something unusual. Arms, legs, neck, back were feeling limp, the whole body felt tranquil...of course I started to worry and the mind raced towards the usual nonsense once more. Then it came to me: I was relaxed! This is what relaxed actually feels like. Guess I was wound up to tight all this time, that I almost forgot the actual feeling of a relaxed body.

It's both sad and funny at the same time. I took a valuable lesson though: never again place myself in a position where I don't even know what being relaxed feels like!

This fight will go on, one day at a time. If you have more advice on how to handle lightheadedness, I'm eager to hear about it!

Scass
18-03-21, 07:05
Great to hear. Next time you are tense, keep remembering how it felt to be relaxed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ankietyjoe
18-03-21, 10:40
Do you realise how many times you used the word 'crisis'?

Nothing there is really a crisis, but what has happened is that over the years you have developed an unhealthy (but very normal for anxiety) relationship with fairly benign symptoms.

The best way to deal with this is to intercept your reaction to sensation, and in particular stop the stimulus/response reaction.

So you get light headed, so what?

So your heart beats a bit faster, so what?

The language of your post is one of fear and avoidance, and THAT is the real problem, not the symptoms. This is the same for everybody that deals with anxiety. Anxiety becomes a self perpetuating series of avoidance behaviours from things that aren't really a big deal in the first place. It's about re-framing your reaction and perception to normal bodily functions.

If you're stressed and your muscles are tense, you are going to feel light headed. Deal with the stress and tension, not the symptom.

If your heart is pounding from a phone call, deal with the stress, not the heart rate.

You say you're obsessing over it, so practice NOT obsessing over it. Most of this will be habitual thinking. If you find yourself focusing on one particular problem, then tell yourself that you choose to think about something else. If you Google, that's on YOU. It is a choice, and a terrible one. Nobody forces anybody to Google, there is no demonic force that you cannot resist, it's a choice that you make (we've all been there). If you are creating the problems in your own mind, how do you expect to reduce the stress and obsession?

This about the idea that anxiety and it's symptoms MUST be avoided or escaped from, and that's just not possible.

All you have is some light headedness and you wrote a book about it, do you see how that's not right? You are making a much, much bigger deal out of this than you need to.