PDA

View Full Version : How to ignore fast heartrate

WiredIncorrectly
19-03-21, 17:24
Bad panic attack today. My heart is racing but I refuse to check it. Breathing deep my head feels calm but there's some anxiety. How do you ignore the fast heart rate even though you can feel it everywhere? Do you just continue in life as normal and not pay any attention?

I missed my meds last night, took them today but might be related. Also ate a lot of sugar yestreday.

WiredIncorrectly
19-03-21, 17:36
I think logging in here and typing my experience calms the anxiety. Feeling calmer, but still in the eye of the storm.

Panic is a strange thing. Joe always says the attack doesn't control you, but the reaction/response to it does. I believe this.

When I'm like this I get scared to move because I feel my heartrate slow down then I move and it goes fast again. My body tenses up and my stream of thinking becomes very rapid. And this is where the panic begins. The stream of thoughts are negative.

My response today has been different. Yes I've put my finger to my pulse. But not as much as usual, and I have genuinely done my best to ignore this one. It's as if my brain needs the panic for the reassurance that "it's only panic not something serious". I'm not sure if anybody can relate to that.

My heart is down to 120bpm, it was far higher before but I didn't count. And now I feel the panic slowly starting to pass. As always.

I'll keep checking my heart until it's back to its normal speed and once it is, it's like a sigh of relief and a happy feeling. I wonder if there's a dopamine hit there? This is why I think panic attacks are reassurance that "it's just panic and nothing serious". I hope somebody understands that.

But, can confirm ignoring does work. It's painful going through 10 minutes in full panic while trying to carry on as normal but it's better to go through panic calm, than it is to fear.

I usually resort to a valium, but this time I didn't.

glassgirlw
19-03-21, 17:37
The Heart has always been a source of anxiety for me as well. So I completely get the struggle there. About 4 hours ago I had a 5 min period of some skipped beats. Hasn’t happened again, and even though I know they’re benign, it feels like I’m almost “waiting” for them to come back again so as a result my stomach is all fluttery and anxiety is raised. Doing my very best to just ignore it all and stay calm. That’s what I do when the heart rate is increased too. Keep breathing, try to ignore it, find something else to focus my attention on.

WiredIncorrectly
19-03-21, 17:43
The Heart has always been a source of anxiety for me as well. So I completely get the struggle there. About 4 hours ago I had a 5 min period of some skipped beats. Hasn’t happened again, and even though I know they’re benign, it feels like I’m almost “waiting” for them to come back again so as a result my stomach is all fluttery and anxiety is raised. Doing my very best to just ignore it all and stay calm. That’s what I do when the heart rate is increased too. Keep breathing, try to ignore it, find something else to focus my attention on.

Good advice glassgirlw. It sucks doesn't it? But staying calm is key so you're doing the right thing. I think mine has passed now. Typing on here always helps to focus on something different. I get a lot of skipped beats but these days they don't bother me. I had lots of skips during this attack too.

And now it's the urgh feeling. Time for a bath and a cup of tea.

glassgirlw
19-03-21, 17:49
I also find that logging on here and even just posting to others helps dispel my anxiety a little bit. It goes back to that “distracting my focus” theory. Plus, it might help someone else, so it’s a win win lol. I’m glad you’re feeling better and the panic is easing!! It always is a relief!

ankietyjoe
19-03-21, 19:07
I'm not sure ignoring it is exactly the right term I'd use. I think 'accepting' is better.

I've found over the years that it's possible to get into such a state of stress and tension that it's gonna do what it's gonna do no matter what. Once in a while my heart rate will stay up around the 120bpm mark for hours on end, 10-12 hours at least.

Mine does the same as yours J, it'll hover down to about 100 and then if I move or walk around it shoots straight back up to 150.

It'll settle down eventually, but until then all you can do is distract yourself. I also find that it will come and go, up and down. Like you say, don't keep checking it. You know it's fast. Just remember the experiences of the last few weeks and how stress can build up. In some respect having coping mechanisms is a double edged sword as it allows you to absorb more before you feel it hard.

WiredIncorrectly
19-03-21, 19:31
It's completely gone now. Sorry, you are correct "accepting" was the term you used. If I didn't accept the situation it would have got to the point I'd have been sat on the toilet shaking, feeling sick and getting myself into a worse situation. It sucks when the heartrate becomes actual tachycardia. Adrenaline is crazy stuff.

Re coping mechanisms ... yes completely agree. And when the coping mechanism fails to work the resulting anxiety is a bigger episode.

ankietyjoe
20-03-21, 12:38
Back in the bad old days I used to get myself into cycles of this. You can develop range of acceptable heart rates for any given situation and then start being hyper vigilant about it not meeting your expectations.

What's odd is that 20 years ago I would spend the weekend on cocaine and happily live my life at 120bpm......constantly. I dread to think what damage I did, but what's done is done.

Even now, if I order a pizza and my heart rate goes up close to 100 afterwards (and sometimes it just does with junk food) I really have to check my reaction to it. You have to just tell yourself that your heart is doing something completely normal given the right kind of stimulus, and in your case the stimulus is obvious.

But what's done is done, today is a new day.

glassgirlw
20-03-21, 13:07
That’s actually what started my “heart obsession” 25+ years ago. Coming down off a week long crystal meth bender and my heart rate was all over the place...for some reason I noticed it and it sent me spiraling. Ended up in the ER thinking I was having a heart attack...ended up just being a massive panic attack. But it’s affected me mentally ever since.

Just say no to drugs, kids. It’s not worth the life-long issues you’ll develop as a result.

ankietyjoe
20-03-21, 13:33
That’s actually what started my “heart obsession” 25+ years ago. Coming down off a week long crystal meth bender and my heart rate was all over the place...for some reason I noticed it and it sent me spiraling. Ended up in the ER thinking I was having a heart attack...ended up just being a massive panic attack. But it’s affected me mentally ever since.

Just say no to drugs, kids. It’s not worth the life-long issues you’ll develop as a result.

What's odd is that in the several years I was taking drugs I never once experience any anxiety of any kind, whatsoever. What I do think however, is that it was part of the 'accumulated stress' that inevitably leads to anxiety and a decade later is when it really hit me hard.

glassgirlw
20-03-21, 13:55
Same here. All the crap I was putting into my body and I never once had anxiety over it. I was just chasing the biggest high I could get. Thinking back on it now I have no idea how I could do that. And wish I never would have. Bet my life would have been a whole lot different. It’s even caused me to struggle with taking prescribed meds. Can’t take AD’s. Can’t even have a drink socially with friends without inducing panicky feelings. It’s crazy how much an event 25 years ago still affects me today. And I haven’t quite figured out yet how to stop it.

sorry for taking over your thread WI - I was glad to read that your episode passed!

WiredIncorrectly
20-03-21, 14:11
It's ok, keep talking :) It's cool reading these responses. I've never done any drugs apart from cannabis. My friend on the other hand was like you both. He never had anxiety, but he developed it after he quit drugs. My anxiety did get worse when I quit alcohol.

I can relate to the length of time having these problems though. Mine started at 17, I'll be 37 this year. It sucks to think I've lived 20 years this way, but I know anxiety has had lots of positive effects on my life. For example, I'm so afraid of drugs I've never toughed them. So that's a plus. Having agoraphobia and fear of the outdoors means I've spent a lot of my time reading and studying.

In a way it's been both a blessing, and a curse.

ankietyjoe
20-03-21, 14:22
My anxiety didn't start after I quite coke tbh, it was years later.....almost a decade. The drugs are just a layer of stress you put your body under.

I can't say I regret taking them, but I do know it affected my relationship with other people.

In any case, I don't take drugs any more, don't drink, don't smoke and don't miss any of it ever. I don't understand why people find it so hard to live without booze. Even when I'm out with friends I don't drink and don't feel the need to. It has zero draw to me any more at all.

Anyway, agoraphobia. It passes bud. You're just still in a phase where you're looking for solutions to the anxiety instead of embracing it. It's part of everybody, it's just the individuals relationship with it that causes the issue.

WiredIncorrectly
20-03-21, 14:32
I feel the same about alcohol. It has no attraction. But when you're in the thick of an alcohol problem it's hard to see that. Everything is perception and the way you perceive a situation.

ankietyjoe
20-03-21, 15:12
Everything is perception and the way you perceive a situation.

https://media.tenor.com/images/99e838e3032c19b90953cdb47076fa67/tenor.gif

WiredIncorrectly
21-03-21, 05:42
I was just awoken in a nasty panic attack and racing heart, Omg that was horrible.

I remember in my dream I was running away fast. Then suddenly my Dad rugby tackled me to the floor. I don't recall if I was running from police, people or both.

I suddenly woke up. First thing I did while still in this asleep state was reach for my pulse. I felt it was fast, freaked out, and it went super high.

I'm on meds, yet I'm having nasty panics - at least I hope they're anxiety.

Within 15 minutes my HR has returned to normal but I'm shaken.

I had to pop a valium that time.

ankietyjoe
21-03-21, 10:09
But this is normal for anxiety. Meds don't stop panic attacks and never will.

Get up, have a piss, wait for it to pass. It always does.

WiredIncorrectly
21-03-21, 10:36
But this is normal for anxiety. Meds don't stop panic attacks and never will.

Get up, have a piss, wait for it to pass. It always does.

At this point I see no purpose in taking them because I'm back square 1. They're c**p. Make me feel sleepy all the time. What a hole I've dug.

And yes I remember being warned of this.

ankietyjoe
21-03-21, 11:09
At this point I see no purpose in taking them because I'm back square 1. They're c**p. Make me feel sleepy all the time. What a hole I've dug.

And yes I remember being warned of this.

Well, back in the day I mentioned that medication serves a purpose, but it also alleviates the need for people to find their own way, and live WITH the symptoms. It's not right or wrong, there are just pro's and cons to both ways I guess.

And by living 'with' the symptoms, I mean accepting them. The curious paradox being that learning to live with a perfectly normal bodily reaction (anxiety and panic), reduces the symptoms anyway.

So, did you read the Joe Dispenza books? I think they'll be very helpful to you. Obviously there is a lot of BS included in them, but there is also fundamental truth about the human mental condition too.

To put it brutally and somewhat simplified -

We are where we are because that is where we have chosen and practiced being. When I look at my own life, I can only nod in agreement to my summary of the books lol.

WiredIncorrectly
21-03-21, 16:22
Listening to You Are a Placebo right now :yesyes:

WiredIncorrectly
21-03-21, 17:32
Optimists live longer apparently. Interesting stuff this is.

ankietyjoe
21-03-21, 17:53
Optimists live longer apparently. Interesting stuff this is.

It makes perfect sense though if you think about it. There are plenty of people here who view optimism as being unrealistic, but really it's down to a choice of using your imagination to create a healthy future for yourself, or an unhealthy one.

Like I said, when I read the book I perceived a lot of woo-woo, but there are so many cultures that for thousands of years have suggested exactly the same consequences of certain ways of thinking. For example there's an Indian guy called Sadghuru who talks about exactly the same thing. He's a spiritual teacher. Again, some of the things he says are utter BS (being gay being a choice for example), but when you start to examine the common teachings across the ages and cultures, you have to see obvious truths in them. This is why I came to the conclusion that prayer CAN actually come true, because you are often visualising a better future for yourself WITH faith and belief. I don't believe the field is out there organising for you so much, but I do believe that visually choosing a particular future for yourself and having faith that it will happen will subconsciously alter your behaviour to make that outcome more likely.

WiredIncorrectly
21-03-21, 18:03
It makes perfect sense though if you think about it. There are plenty of people here who view optimism as being unrealistic, but really it's down to a choice of using your imagination to create a healthy future for yourself, or an unhealthy one.

Like I said, when I read the book I perceived a lot of woo-woo, but there are so many cultures that for thousands of years have suggested exactly the same consequences of certain ways of thinking. For example there's an Indian guy called Sadghuru who talks about exactly the same thing. He's a spiritual teacher. Again, some of the things he says are utter BS (being gay being a choice for example), but when you start to examine the common teachings across the ages and cultures, you have to see obvious truths in them. This is why I came to the conclusion that prayer CAN actually come true, because you are often visualising a better future for yourself WITH faith and belief. I don't believe the field is out there organising for you so much, but I do believe that visually choosing a particular future for yourself and having faith that it will happen will subconsciously alter your behaviour to make that outcome more likely.

Loving this book. Makes you look at things in a different perspective. Still towards the beginning.

I like Sandghuru, but was swayed on him when I learned he was accused of killing his wife. I like him, but there's a lot of teachers that teach this. I want to get at the source of it. What are they rehashing and from where? Absolutely not saying it's all BS, but like he says in this book King Edward was using techniques to cure and had done it over 1000 times (need to research this). So it's nothing new.

Alan Watts is another. He's great.

ankietyjoe
21-03-21, 18:08
I think the source of all of this just comes from tens of thousands of years of accumulated knowledge and wisdom. It wouldn't be too far fetched to assume that cultures all across the globe had developed similar observations about the workings of the human condition.

I think it all went tits up when formal education was created during the industrial revolution. Looked good on paper......

There's a lot to be said for NOT over intellectualising everything.

WiredIncorrectly
21-03-21, 18:14
Not only that but I think people are more distracted today. The first thing people do before reading anything on the fringe is Google for the sceptics view first. That's pessimism :roflmao:

WiredIncorrectly
21-03-21, 18:24
I wonder why doctors don't prescribe placebos. They could work well in MH conditions.

ankietyjoe
21-03-21, 18:46
Antidepressants and placebo have almost the same efficacy.

Just sayin'.....

WiredIncorrectly
21-03-21, 19:24
Antidepressants and placebo have almost the same efficacy.

Just sayin'.....

You're not wrong there. Like the numerous times I'm convinced the valium kicks in within 10 minutes and helps me :roflmao:

Ok what about the other way around. I drink a monster energy drink and my heart rate goes up. Or coffee. Is the knowledge of knowing that both increase heart rate enough to make the heart rate increase? Whereas if one wasn't to know that, or is of no concern to one, then nothing would happen? Because there are many times I've drank both and had no negative effects.

WiredIncorrectly
21-03-21, 19:30
I watched an episode of Bobs Burgers (funny cartoon). One of the characters said "I love a good coffee in the morning, makes me feel like butterflies in my chest. Let's dance.". And the character was happy and jolly.

I felt that relevant to the discussion of perception.

ankietyjoe
21-03-21, 19:42
You're not wrong there. Like the numerous times I'm convinced the valium kicks in within 10 minutes and helps me :roflmao:

Ok what about the other way around. I drink a monster energy drink and my heart rate goes up. Or coffee. Is the knowledge of knowing that both increase heart rate enough to make the heart rate increase? Whereas if one wasn't to know that, or is of no concern to one, then nothing would happen? Because there are many times I've drank both and had no negative effects.

I think the answer to this is that 'it depends'.

I think it's 100% possible that knowing you're drinking caffeine can make your heart rate go up before the caffeine can take effect.

However, it does work the other way round too. About 5 years ago I took a painkiller that had caffeine in without knowing. Within 20-30 minutes I had massive waves of adrenaline and my heart rate was up around 90bpm, and I just didn't know why. It wasn't until I had a moment of clarity and remembered I took these strong painkillers and checked the ingredients and then realised I'd taken as much caffeine as a double espresso.

I CAN drink coffee now, but I choose not to. I mostly have decaf, and sometimes add a bit of real coffee in there too.

WiredIncorrectly
21-03-21, 21:39
Joe, this book is so effing good. So many lightbulb moments that I can wholly relate to. I've shared it with everybody I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6At7oTM6so

meltedchic
23-03-21, 13:20
Don't you know that too much caffeine would result to increase rapid heart rate. It can also cause high blood pressure or make high blood pressure worse.
So, as early as now, better maintain a health lifestyle. Try engaging in yoga, its proven to provide calmness not only physically, but also mentally.

WiredIncorrectly
24-03-21, 16:44
Who drinks too much caffeine? I don't. It's all in the mind. If you tell yourself you're ill, you will become ill.

It feels strange posting on the flip side. I haven't felt anxiety for a few days. You have to put effort in, and make some changes to life. If you live every day in a negative mindset you will undoubtedly become negative. This affects your thinking, your aura, and your relationship with life and those around you.

Think positive, and fill your life with positivity.

That's a message to the me last week.