PDA

View Full Version : Husband smelled burning toast.

ckelley116
19-03-21, 20:35
Why do I have to be that person who immediately thinks "brain tumor" instead of just ignoring it?

ankietyjoe
19-03-21, 21:00
You don't 'have' to be. The thought can come, and you can choose to let it go. You can't control thoughts, but you can control reactions. Don't think of yourself as a victim of something out of your control, because you're not.

NancyW
19-03-21, 22:35
Why do I have to be that person who immediately thinks "brain tumor" instead of just ignoring it?

Better question, why do you have to be that person that Google it?

If there was no Google influence you would have a much easier time ignoring it.

ckelley116
19-03-21, 23:33
Better question, why do you have to be that person that Google it?

If there was no Google influence you would have a much easier time ignoring it.

I didn't Google it. I haven't Googled in months. It was just something I remembered from my own brain tumor scare in 2014. Some things just can't be unlearned.

ckelley116
19-03-21, 23:33
You don't 'have' to be. The thought can come, and you can choose to let it go. You can't control thoughts, but you can control reactions. Don't think of yourself as a victim of something out of your control, because you're not.

This is good advice. Thank you.

nomorepanic
19-03-21, 23:41
But you didn't have a brain tumour then so why now think your husband has?

ckelley116
19-03-21, 23:55
But you didn't have a brain tumour then so why now think your husband has?
I don't. I guess I didn't make it clear. I just wondered why I couldn't be more like a normal person, who could hear him say something like that and completely ignore it. Instead, my mind first lit on "brain tumor". I didn't fixate on it and I know there are any number of far more possible, benign explanations. I was just frustrated that that's the first place my mind went before it moved on to a more normal response.

glassgirlw
20-03-21, 00:24
I understand that. It’s like our minds have been trained to automatically go to worst case scenario. I do think though that because you didn’t follow through on that thought, and automatically applied logic - that is counted as a win. It sounds like you handled it well!

Lolalee1
20-03-21, 04:34
Well, I burnt toast this morning and set off the fire alarms in the whole house and can still smell it.:mad:

Scass
20-03-21, 07:12
I’m always burning toast. But like Joe says, you can acknowledge the thought and throw it away - it doesn’t have to ruin your day x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckelley116
23-03-21, 14:07
I understand that. It’s like our minds have been trained to automatically go to worst case scenario. I do think though that because you didn’t follow through on that thought, and automatically applied logic - that is counted as a win. It sounds like you handled it well!

Thank you :) Like many others I have struggled over the last year with processing different things but I've been working hard on getting a handle on my HA. That's why it was so frustrating to have that thought - it felt like a setback. Although I do know there's no "cure" for HA and I'll need to work to keep it under control for the rest of my life, it's still annoying when the thoughts manage to bust through!

glassgirlw
23-03-21, 14:25
Just have to keep reminding yourself that thoughts are only thoughts - and your reaction to them is what matters! If you let them just come and go, and not pay them any importance, then you’ve done your job well. :winks: