PDA

View Full Version : Lump behind ear

Lilly16
22-03-21, 12:05
Hi,
for 18 months I have had a lump on my mastoid bone which is pea sized. It's very firm and doesn't move or hurt.
I have tried 6 times to get a GP appointment but have not been able to get one until today, for tomorrow at 9am.

I suffer with very severe health anxiety and I am absolutely petrified, I cant stop panicking.

Other than this lump I have no health problems and have recently recovered from an eating disorder and have gained 1.5 stone. My family keep telling me that if it was something serious I would have more symptoms than just a lump but my health anxiety and Dr Google are telling me different.

I'm wondering if anybody else had had a similar experience?

Thanks for reading x

Carys
22-03-21, 12:16
I have had exactly this ! Well, I did have about 10 years ago. I mentioned mine when visiting the doctor for another reason, she took a look and told me 'cyst' categorically. (although yours could be a small lipoma too) Your family are absolutely right, and after 18 months with it still being there with no symptoms, it is certainly nothing to be concerned about. I rubbed away at mine/massaged it and it went over a few months. I'm sure all will be well after your appointment, but do update :) Congratulations on tackling and winning with your eating disorder, that is an amazing achievement ! I see this is your first post also, so, welcome to NMP.

willll
22-03-21, 19:34
As Carys said, it’s probably just a cyst of some sort. It could also be a scarred lymph node from frequent infections. I have one a bit further down on my neck from recurrent bouts of folliculitis on my scalp. Went to the doctor and she explained to me that sometimes lymph nodes never go back to their normal size if they’re activated a lot.

If it’s not growing or painful and you’re not having any other symptoms, I think it’s safe to say it’s probably just something completely normal! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Littlemisswitch
22-03-21, 23:59
Hi there!
I have a shotty lymph node in that exact spot. It came up after an ear infection and never disappeared (probably my fault as I wouldn't leave the thing alone). The doctors said it's scarred and probably wont ever disappear. I've seen three doctors for them, as well as had an ultrasound for a different one, and they're all completely harmless. Shotty nodes seem to be really really common in that spot, a lot of people on these forums have had / permanently have one there. Mine is very firm, and I think that's probably just because it's sitting right up against the mastoid bone. A pea sized node is not anything to be concerned over, especially if it's been there for 18 months without growing. It could also be a cyst, your doctor will definitely be able to confirm!

Cptdebbie
23-03-21, 01:03
I, too, had a swollen lymph node behind my ear once. I stressed about it for a long time. Then one day, it was gone.

These lymph nodes are so important to our bodies but are such a worry!!!

I hope you feel better soon.

Best,
Debbie

Lilly16
23-03-21, 11:04
Hi everyone, thought I would post an update.

The GP has felt the lump and has said due to the size of it and how long it’s been there she isn’t worried.
She’s took bloods but I feel a lot better now.

Thanks for your messages they made me feel reassured.