PDA

View Full Version : New approach which is helping me.....

Lilith1980
08-11-07, 10:07
I thought up a "method" recently has helped me cope with intrusive thoughts better. I'm not sure where it came from but it just popped into my mind recently and I have been trying it out ever since.....

I know it sounds as though I am giving anxiety an "identity" or "importance" but what I have done is separated the anxiety from me and kind of imagine it as having a physical body. Like a person who stands behind me whispering intrusive thoughts into my ear, rather than voices which run around inside my head.

If I think of it like this I am able to just laugh the thoughts off most of the time (rather than getting angry) and tell the "physical being" that they are being silly and where do they get these thoughts from anyway. I look at anxiety as a pathetic creature, like a friend who stirs up trouble and doesnt like seeing me happy.

I dont know if its from reading my CBT book that I have thought this up but I am coping a lot better so far with the intrusive thoughts. Not sure if its something other people could try out but just thought I would share xxx

PUGLETMUM
08-11-07, 10:15
:yesyes: no lilith i dont do this,but its horses for courses really whatever getsyou through just keep doing it!!! sometimes i remind myself how short life is and how precious it is and i can do things that i otherwise couldnt,then another time it wont work. so long as you feel better though is what counts,and changing your relationship with anxiety is the ultimate goal, sowell done you:yesyes:

bearcrazy
08-11-07, 11:28
Good idea Lilith! Like Pinnochio's conscience LOL. if it works for you thats cool.

TC xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phill2
09-11-07, 08:44
Bev Aisbett takes the same approach in her books "Living With IT" where it is the anxiety monster.
Phill :shades: