PDA

View Full Version : 2nd dose of vaccine swollen lymph node

toria
22-03-21, 20:24
Hi I was after a bit of advice if any one could help, I had my 2nd dose of pfizer vaccine 2 weeks ago, I got a very sore arm which felt like it was going into neck but when I felt neck my lymph node just above collar bone was swollen and felt sore,I left it a few days to see if was vaccine and it didn't really change Except for less pain in it, I went to see a nurse practitioner end of last week who thought it probably was vaccine related as I'm 99% sure it wasn't there before, she has referred me for a ultrasound on it, it has gone down but still there sometime feel bigger than other times, I am very worried its something more serious, and do lymph nodes take time to go down, also has anyone had a lymph node swell with vaccine or could it make it, thanks so much, toria xx

Gary A
22-03-21, 20:39
Hi I was after a bit of advice if any one could help, I had my 2nd dose of pfizer vaccine 2 weeks ago, I got a very sore arm which felt like it was going into neck but when I felt neck my lymph node just above collar bone was swollen and felt sore,I left it a few days to see if was vaccine and it didn't really change Except for less pain in it, I went to see a nurse practitioner end of last week who thought it probably was vaccine related as I'm 99% sure it wasn't there before, she has referred me for a ultrasound on it, it has gone down but still there sometime feel bigger than other times, I am very worried its something more serious, and do lymph nodes take time to go down, also has anyone had a lymph node swell with vaccine or could it make it, thanks so much, toria xx

It wouldn’t be unusual at all for lymph nodes to swell after receiving a vaccine. A vaccine is designed to mimic an infection, this in turn triggers your immune system.

Your lymph nodes are part of that system, they enlarge due to the production of immune cells called lymphocytes. When your immune system is triggered, your lymph nodes produce more of these lymphocytes to fight infection.

If the swelling has subsided then it’s highly unlikely to be of any concern. You’ll probably find that all the poking and prodding is now what’s causing the enlargement to this particular node. Try to leave it alone and it’ll most likely reduce in size.

glassgirlw
22-03-21, 22:07
It’s actually super common after the Pfizer and moderna vaccines. They’ve even told women not to schedule their mammograms within like 4-6 weeks of the vaccine to give the nodes time to return to normal. Completely expected! Try not to panic and poke at it.

glassgirlw
22-03-21, 22:09
https://www.fda.gov/media/144414/download

Carys
22-03-21, 22:15
Thats very interesting Glassgirl, about the mammo advice too. I'm sure Toria must be totally reassured after reading that its entirely normal.

glassgirlw
22-03-21, 22:18
Thats very interesting Glassgirl, about the mammo advice too. I'm sure Toria must be totally reassured after reading that its entirely normal.

I have researched these vaccines SO MUCH lol while deciding if I was going to get vaccinated. And yes I thought this was super interesting too. I’ll see if I can find that article and link it, about the mammograms.

glassgirlw
22-03-21, 22:19
https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/mammogram/expert-answers/schedule-mammogram-after-covid-19-vaccine/faq-20508266

here it is!! From Mayo Clinic which is one of the most trusted cancer centers here in the states, so I feel like it’s a reliable source. Mayo isn’t specifically recommending to hold off on mammograms but they do say to make sure and tell your radiologist if you’ve had the vaccine and in what arm - so they know to expect the swollen lymph nodes if seen on the scan.

toria
22-03-21, 22:30
Wow thanks so much all of you, its the Same side I got vaccine in , that is very interesting about the mammograms, I am really trying not to touch it but I feel the need to see if it's still there which I know it is, and it's reassuring to know it might take a good 4 to 6 weeks to go down I'm panicking because it's taking time, thanks so much, toria xx

glassgirlw
22-03-21, 22:49
I understand your worry, Toria. Luckily you have a direct cause and effect for this symptom and it’s been documented across the globe - so try really hard to ignore it and not poke at it, it will go back down in its own time.

Lencoboy
24-03-21, 09:10
Also try not to get too bogged down with the recent media hype about certain other side-effects, which have now mostly been disproven.

Carys
24-03-21, 11:33
here it is!! From Mayo Clinic which is one of the most trusted cancer centers here in the states, so I feel like it’s a reliable source. Mayo isn’t specifically recommending to hold off on mammograms but they do say to make sure and tell your radiologist if you’ve had the vaccine and in what arm - so they know to expect the swollen lymph nodes if seen on the scan.

Yeah, I like Mayoclinic, have read lots of their stuff over the years. Most interesting, if anything as reassurance that raised lymph nodes are to be expected as part of the response.

nhelen79
25-03-21, 17:08
I took moderna first dose last week. Feeling tenderness in armpit on the same arm now 7 days later. Thanks for sharing your issue.

hope4tomorrow
01-04-21, 19:41
Checking in to say that I have a swollen node in my armpit after Moderna first dose. I noticed it along with a rash at the injection site about 8 days after the dose. The rash faded pretty quickly, but the node is still painfully swollen two weeks after it started. It is uncomfortable physically and make me anxious, but the doctor says it is normal. I have the second dose end of next week and wonder if it will extend this. I'm going to ask if I should get the second dose in the other arm, but then I might be waiting for two nodes to resolve. Ugh... This is one side effect that I did not want, though I am still glad to get the vaccine. My husband and son did not have this, though the doctor injected my son in the thigh as he has severe autism and wouldn't let her jab his arm.

nhelen79
16-04-21, 20:25
Got my 2nd shot yesterday. Now experiencing the same lymph node swelling on my neck after 24hrs.

toria
18-04-21, 13:59
Got my 2nd shot yesterday. Now experiencing the same lymph node swelling on my neck after 24hrs.
Hi I had a ultrasound on my neck and he wasn't concerned he said nothing suspicious just lymph node, it has definitely gone down but I think they can take a while, I'm sure yours will go down, try not to keep touching as it will make in more swollen, take care toria x