PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes worries (sweat smells different)

WilyKitWilyKat
23-03-21, 23:26
I’m quite young, no other obvious symptoms, I do sometimes feel fatigued/pee a little more than usual but quite sure those are just other things like vitamin D deficiency/anxiety etc.

Recently noticed my sweat smells different. I wouldn’t necessarily say I sweat a whole lot more or it smells a whole lot worse- just different. I read a fruity smell can be diabetes, but it has never translated as fruity to me.

Then I’m pretty sure I read on here that it’s an almond smell. That’s not making me feel good since I think it is kind of almondy. (Although they also said it’s more on the breath not body and that if you had ketoacidosis you’d probably have a lot of other symptoms/be on your way to a coma. Is it possible to get an almondy smell without ketoacidosis?)

Not exactly sure what an almond scent would smell like to be honest, but it seems to be giving me almond vibes lol. Slightly sweet. Not pleasant. Just weird. Been a couple months I think since I’ve noticed it and my overall health is decent. I do get chilblains which I think can be diabetes related although I get them only in the winter and doctor don’t seem concerned about em.

The smell gets a lot worse when I wear this certain cotton denim top for some reason, I actually avoid that top now as a result.

What do you guys think? :) I’m not too anxious just a bit fed up.

nomorepanic
24-03-21, 00:46
Why don't you get a test then you will know either way?

WilyKitWilyKat
24-03-21, 01:33
That wouldn’t be easy to get right now without going into detail but yeah i guess i should

Cptdebbie
24-03-21, 04:26
I have type two diabetes. For me, it was obvious something was wrong. I couldn’t even drive 20 minutes without having to pee. And, I peed a lot. I couldn’t figure out where all this fluid was coming from even though I was thirsty ALL the time. There was just lots and lots of fluid coming out of me. I was also losing weight like crazy even though I was drinking Dr Pepper like there was no tomorrow. I was also having problems with my glasses. They didn’t work anymore. And, I had a yeast infection that wouldn’t go away for love or money. One issue I didn’t have was a change in my sweat smell.

My husband had just died and everyone kept telling me that all my symptoms were just grief. LOL. When I finally found out that I had diabetes, a lot of what was happening to my body made sense.

Having diabetes hasn’t been the worst thing ever. I’ve actually learned how to eat and I’m almost to the point where I’m no longer considered diabetic.

I did have an acidosis scare a few months ago. I was super cold and couldn’t get warm. My doc said it was highly unlikely, but he did blood tests to check for acidosis. Everything was fine. He told me I would be super sick and in major organ failure with acidosis. My kidneys aren’t in stellar shape, so we did the blood work even though I was just cold, not super sick.

I get my glucose measuring kit via prescription, but I have a friend who said she bought hers at the drug store without a prescription. You could probably buy a kit for less money than a doctor visit. It requires a finger poke to get a drop of blood, but it’s no biggie.

I hope you feel better soon.

Best of luck,
Debbie

WilyKitWilyKat
24-03-21, 16:05
I have type two diabetes. For me, it was obvious something was wrong. I couldn’t even drive 20 minutes without having to pee. And, I peed a lot. I couldn’t figure out where all this fluid was coming from even though I was thirsty ALL the time. There was just lots and lots of fluid coming out of me. I was also losing weight like crazy even though I was drinking Dr Pepper like there was no tomorrow. I was also having problems with my glasses. They didn’t work anymore. And, I had a yeast infection that wouldn’t go away for love or money. One issue I didn’t have was a change in my sweat smell.

My husband had just died and everyone kept telling me that all my symptoms were just grief. LOL. When I finally found out that I had diabetes, a lot of what was happening to my body made sense.

Having diabetes hasn’t been the worst thing ever. I’ve actually learned how to eat and I’m almost to the point where I’m no longer considered diabetic.

I did have an acidosis scare a few months ago. I was super cold and couldn’t get warm. My doc said it was highly unlikely, but he did blood tests to check for acidosis. Everything was fine. He told me I would be super sick and in major organ failure with acidosis. My kidneys aren’t in stellar shape, so we did the blood work even though I was just cold, not super sick.

I get my glucose measuring kit via prescription, but I have a friend who said she bought hers at the drug store without a prescription. You could probably buy a kit for less money than a doctor visit. It requires a finger poke to get a drop of blood, but it’s no biggie.

I hope you feel better soon.

Best of luck,
Debbie

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it! I’m sorry about your husband. Glad you’re doing better now.

Yeah I think it’s safe to say I don’t have any obvious symptoms but the HA of course tells you you’re on of the odd ones out who doesn’t get symptoms. Part of me just wants to ignore it but the thought of it going undiagnosed it then jumping out at me isn’t nice. Getting a test isn’t easy atm for various reasons but I guess it’s the only way to know. The sweat thing isn’t a symptom you can read about much on the internet. Barely touched on. So hopefully it’s just something else.

Do you mind telling me what your diet looks like? Just curious.

Thanks again