PDA

View Full Version : Tinnitus and anxiety after hearing test

Nadm
25-03-21, 09:15
3 days ago I did a hearing test and a loudness discomfort level test (LDL). I have mild tinnitus in my right ear. The morning after I did the test, my tinnitus seemed louder. My anxiety went skyhigh and I cant shake it of. The LDL test went to a maximum beep of 75db. I am concerned about that test.

I scared one of the tests worsened my tinnitus and that it Will never get lower 😭 I need to vent because no one seems to understand my fear. I feel nauseous when I think about the tests I did. I am very scared something went wrong and I will never recover. I am scared I cant handle this.

I am in desperate need of reassurance.

Scissel
25-03-21, 14:16
My Tinnitus decreases at times but its always there - I've learned to not pay much attention to it now as I've have had it most of my life.

glassgirlw
25-03-21, 14:19
I’m the same as Scissel. Most tinnitus is benign, and may be worse or better depending on the day. I’ve kind of gotten used to it over the last several years and don’t even notice it much anymore.

ankietyjoe
26-03-21, 21:45
3 days ago I did a hearing test and a loudness discomfort level test (LDL). I have mild tinnitus in my right ear. The morning after I did the test, my tinnitus seemed louder. My anxiety went skyhigh and I cant shake it of. The LDL test went to a maximum beep of 75db. I am concerned about that test.

I scared one of the tests worsened my tinnitus and that it Will never get lower  I need to vent because no one seems to understand my fear. I feel nauseous when I think about the tests I did. I am very scared something went wrong and I will never recover. I am scared I cant handle this.

I am in desperate need of reassurance.

Try and look at the kind of language you're using. You are catastrophising a very minor and benign condition.

"No one seems to understand my fear"

Well actually, we all do. Anxiety disorder is a disorder of fear of benign and non threatening situations. You are fearing....nothing really. Tinnitus is extraordinarily common.

For the record I work in the music/audio business and a single exposure to 75db cannot possibly damage your hearing. My regular mix environment is approx 77db in front of 1150w speakers. I have had tinnitus for 15 years, but listening to that level of sound makes no difference.

What is happening here is that you were stressed because of the hearing test and now have tight muscles. Tight muscles increase tinnitus.

Oh and I forgot to mention, it's widely agreed that it's about 80db sustained exposure that may lead to some hearing damage.