PDA

View Full Version : Lightheaded- sertraline withdrawal..... or worse

jojo2316
27-03-21, 15:03
Hi dear fellow sufferers,
Today I am struggling with feelings of lightheadedness, a bit of nausea, and a feeling of “not quite there-ness”.... if that makes sense? I am worrying about a brain tumour of course (!!).... but also wonder if it might have something to do with the fact that I have been trying to come off sertraline (I just thought I would try!) a and it has been 3 days since my last dose. I am trying to be rational.....Thank you for reading this- just writing it down helps. Xxx

nomorepanic
27-03-21, 15:31
Did you just stop it?

Sounds like withdrawal to me

nomorepanic
27-03-21, 15:31
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

jojo2316
27-03-21, 15:38
Well..... I cut down over a few weeks .... taking it maybe every other day.... but I’ve never gone more than three days without until now... But I do feel very all over the place today. Anxious, zoned out, off balance..... and worried about what might be wrong with me! Maybe I shouldn’t have come off like this, but I’ve been on it for nearly a decade now and I thought if not now, then when?
thank you so much for replying to me Nicola xxx

nomorepanic
27-03-21, 15:41
I think it needed to be done much more slowly to be honest.

You may need to go back on it and start reducing very very slowly or ride-out the side-effects of withdrawal

jojo2316
27-03-21, 16:07
I think it needed to be done much more slowly to be honest.

You may need to go back on it and start reducing very very slowly or ride-out the side-effects of withdrawal

So...... I think I might be ok if I knew they were side effects..... but me being me..... and my anxiety beast being what it is..::: I find myself worrying about brain tumours...... which can escalate my anxiety to unbearable levels. It’s a catch 22. Are you on medication Nicole?

nomorepanic
27-03-21, 16:10
No it's not a brain tumour.

I am not on any medication for anxiety. I took Prozac once when I was in my late 20's but it didn't do much for me so stopped it after a year.

panic_down_under
27-03-21, 23:20
I do feel very all over the place today. Anxious, zoned out, off balance..... and worried about what might be wrong with me!

These are typical symptoms of withdrawal, not of a brain tumour.

Maybe I shouldn’t have come off like this, but I’ve been on it for nearly a decade now and I thought if not now, then when?

What dose were you on when you decided to quit and how did you taper off? Also was sertraline working well for you before quitting, i.e. were you mostly anxiety free?

jojo2316
28-03-21, 09:21
These are typical symptoms of withdrawal, not of a brain tumour.

What dose were you on when you decided to quit and how did you taper off? Also was sertraline working well for you before quitting, i.e. were you mostly anxiety free?

Thank you so much for your reply. I was on 100mg and had been for nearly a decade. It most certainly helped - although I cannot say I was anxiety free..... but I found it a little easier to cope. I have been missing doses recently and then doing so more often and - I think - in this case I took my last dose 4 days ago. But I don’t feel great! Apart from the worrying “brain tumour” symptoms I feel low and unmotivated and like I can’t summon the energy to do anything. I’ve tried to come off my meds before and sadly I never managed - I always seem to regress too much. And since I have a large family of small humans and animals to care for I need to be able to function. I shall drag myself out of bed now, and maybe take my dose of sertraline! :-(
Thank you so much again for replying. This site has always been a lifeline in my darkest times xxx

panic_down_under
28-03-21, 10:27
Thank you so much for your reply. I was on 100mg and had been for nearly a decade. It most certainly helped - although I cannot say I was anxiety free..... but I found it a little easier to cope.

100mg is the low end of the typical dose range. You might have done better at 150mg.

I have been missing doses recently and then doing so more often and - I think - in this case I took my last dose 4 days ago.

Missing doses often can increase the odds of ADs pooping-out. It is also not the ideal way of quitting. A long slow gradual taper over a couple of months would have made life easier.

But I don’t feel great! Apart from the worrying “brain tumour” symptoms I feel low and unmotivated and like I can’t summon the energy to do anything.

Your brain is trying to restabilize and rebound depression is common with rapid discontinuation. Plus the brain is not the only organ effected by ADs. They too need time to adjust.

I shall drag myself out of bed now, and maybe take my dose of sertraline! :-(

Just taking one is not going to fix this. Your best option is to go back onto sertraline and once stabilized begin a slow taper off, or stay off it and ride through the withdrawal effects. Either way I urge you to see your GP asap. He/she will be able to help ease the process whichever option you choose to take. There is no need to suffer.

liorakiora
05-04-21, 23:20
Hi 🙂 I’ve also just come off sertraline, though only 50mg for 6 months to help me through a rough time with some medical stuff. I thought I’d gotten off lightly after tapering 25mg every day for two weeks before stopping about a week ago but the last few days I’ve had a constant low-level sicky-headache, a bit tired and spaced out and also what must be the ‘brain zaps’ I’ve read about which to me feel like a light-headed without the dizziness, buzzy, tickly feeling when I move my head. It’s a bit disconcerting and like you I was also worrying about brain tumours before reading more about sertraline withdrawal and now just hoping that it won’t last too long. What you’re describing sounds like textbook withdrawal and if you can ride it out then hopefully it won’t last too long, especially if your main worry is about it being a brain tumour (which it isn’t and wouldn’t that be way too coincidental at the exact same time you’re coming off sertraline!) but maybe what panic_down_under suggested might be better, or speak to your GP because taking a random dose at this point to quell the symptoms might not help unless you just go back on them altogether. Personally I’m thinking if these brain zaps carry on for more than a week I’ll go to the doctor and ask what to expect because it’s definitely not a feeling I’d want to put up with indefinitely but also don’t want to go back on the sertraline if I can help it 😖

jojo2316
13-04-21, 23:09
Hi  I’ve also just come off sertraline, though only 50mg for 6 months to help me through a rough time with some medical stuff. I thought I’d gotten off lightly after tapering 25mg every day for two weeks before stopping about a week ago but the last few days I’ve had a constant low-level sicky-headache, a bit tired and spaced out and also what must be the ‘brain zaps’ I’ve read about which to me feel like a light-headed without the dizziness, buzzy, tickly feeling when I move my head. It’s a bit disconcerting and like you I was also worrying about brain tumours before reading more about sertraline withdrawal and now just hoping that it won’t last too long. What you’re describing sounds like textbook withdrawal and if you can ride it out then hopefully it won’t last too long, especially if your main worry is about it being a brain tumour (which it isn’t and wouldn’t that be way too coincidental at the exact same time you’re coming off sertraline!) but maybe what panic_down_under suggested might be better, or speak to your GP because taking a random dose at this point to quell the symptoms might not help unless you just go back on them altogether. Personally I’m thinking if these brain zaps carry on for more than a week I’ll go to the doctor and ask what to expect because it’s definitely not a feeling I’d want to put up with indefinitely but also don’t want to go back on the sertraline if I can help it 
Brain zaps are quite a thing aren’t they? I remember the first time I had one, a few years ago, and I thought I was having a stroke or something.... it was a terrifying feeling.
I am still taking my sertraline..... but trying to taper; just a bit more slowly this time! ;-)