PDA

View Full Version : Very ill daughter - I think she has IBD

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 05:41
Hi all, 5.30am here in the UK and we're having a horrible time.

Just when things were going ok for me health anxiety wise, f*cking whack.

My poor 4yr old daughter has been having watery diarrhea for the past 36 hours and her last two lots had little specs of blood, mucous and were tinged pink. She has a very high temperature, bad tummy and is very unwell.

I was thinking it was a bug yesterday, but I'm beside myself right now, she most likely has Crohns or Colitis. Ond of my own personal worst nightmares come true for my daughter.

I feel physically sick and are awaiting a call back from out of hours now. Life is unfair.

BlueIris
29-03-21, 06:19
Oh, Mr. L! It's almost certainly just a bug. Keep us posted, though? I'll be around all day if you need to chat in DMs.

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 06:21
I’d like to think so BI. But shes been 10+ times in the last 24 hours and the blood isnt normal with bugs. She’s very sleepy and clammy. All IBD symptoms. She doesnt deserve this in life.

BlueIris
29-03-21, 06:41
Of course she doesn't deserve it.

For what it's worth, blood specks can just be a result of having been so often in such a short time, I think.

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 06:45
I just dont know how we’d cope with this. Life has been tough enough over the last 12 months, and now she’s going to have a chronic disease to live with. We get so much crap thrown our way all the time.

BlueIris
29-03-21, 06:47
You don't know this, Mr. L, it's just your anxiety running rampant for now because you're tired and afraid.

pulisa
29-03-21, 07:43
What does your partner think? Has she diagnosed her with IBD after 36 hours of being poorly with diarrhoea?

Couldn't she just have a nasty tummy bug instead?

I'd advise keeping her hydrated with dioralite and letting her sleep it off. The rehydration is the main thing though. The temperature suggests a bug.

Try not to project your own fears onto her?

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 07:44
No, I know I don't, and I am jumping to conclusions, but I think I every reason to right now. She has all the red flags of IBD unfortunately, even the out of hours doc said over the phone it may be the start of something.

BlueIris
29-03-21, 07:46
What did they advise?

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 07:47
What does your partner think? Has she diagnosed her with IBD after 36 hours of being poorly with diarrhoea?

Couldn't she just have a nasty tummy bug instead?

I'd advise keeping her hydrated with dioralite and letting her sleep it off. The rehydration is the main thing though. The temperature suggests a bug.

Try not to project your own fears onto her?

No she hasn't, but she is worried about the specks of blood and pinkish mucous. I have kept myself to myself over the past day to avoid sharing my anxiety.

Temperature is also common with Crohns/colitis flare up. Like I said above, she has all the red flag symptoms.

Will be ringing the GP this morning anyway.

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 07:47
What did they advise?

To make an appt with our own surgery/GP as there was nothing they could do with their resources. I wanted to take her to A&E, but my partner wouldnt.

BlueIris
29-03-21, 07:49
Listen to your partner. She doesn't have anxiety, so (with the greatest of respect) she's more likely than you are to be rational right now.

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 07:55
She has been 4 times since 5am this morning.......I'm a mess right now.

BlueIris
29-03-21, 07:56
This is what happens when you have a bug, though.

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 08:00
This is what happens when you have a bug, though.

Not for this long though surely. I had a diarrhea bug a year or so ago, but don't think it lasted this long. And I didn't have blood.

BlueIris
29-03-21, 08:04
I've had them last several days before, and so has Mr. Iris.

pulisa
29-03-21, 08:07
No, I know I don't, and I am jumping to conclusions, but I think I every reason to right now. She has all the red flags of IBD unfortunately, even the out of hours doc said over the phone it may be the start of something.

Well that would be dynamite for your own HA. A very unhelpful comment.

See what the GP says this morning? I'm sure they will need a stool specimen if this continues but maybe it won't and things will settle down.

My son has got suspected IBD so I'm not belittling your fears but it's still very early days to jump to this conclusion for you.

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 08:11
Well that would be dynamite for your own HA. A very unhelpful comment.

See what the GP says this morning? I'm sure they will need a stool specimen if this continues but maybe it won't and things will settle down.

My son has got suspected IBD so I'm not belittling your fears but it's still very early days to jump to this conclusion for you.

Sorry to hear that Pulisa. How old is he? And is he in the process of being diagnosed?

pulisa
29-03-21, 08:26
Sorry to hear that Pulisa. How old is he? And is he in the process of being diagnosed?

Yes he is but his case is very different from what you have with your daughter.

Keep her hydrated with sips of water if you don't have dioralyte and see what your GP says?

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 08:40
No, I went to the local coop last night for dioralyte but they didnt have any. Will try pop to Tesco this morning before work starts.

Currently awaiting a call back from the gp. Really hoping they say there is a bug going round, but doubt it at this time of year.

She's gone again as I wrote that message, with one speck of blood. If the blood wasnt there then I wouldn't be so worried.

ankietyjoe
29-03-21, 09:30
It's going around. My six year old had it a couple of weeks ago.

Stop looking for bigger problems on Google.

https://media.tenor.com/images/a77e5c19d49d933933637b9e8993d087/tenor.gif

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 09:32
It's going around. My six year old had it a couple of weeks ago.

Stop looking for bigger problems on Google.

https://media.tenor.com/images/a77e5c19d49d933933637b9e8993d087/tenor.gif

I haven't been googling, but I know the symptoms of crohn's.

What were her symptoms? Diarrhea and also specks of blood? Mine hasn't been sick either which leads me to believe it's not a sickness bug.

ankietyjoe
29-03-21, 09:34
I'm not doing the merry go round of symptom checking with you.

Your daughter is fine, get a hold of yourself.

You cannot be THIS anxious in front of kids when they are ill. And of course you've been Googling, otherwise you wouldn't have a long list of things your daughter should or should not be experiencing with a tummy bug.

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 09:36
I'm not doing the merry go round of symptom checking with you.

Your daughter is fine, get a hold of yourself.

You cannot be THIS anxious in front of kids when they are ill. And of course you've been Googling, otherwise you wouldn't have a long list of things your daughter should or should not be experiencing with a tummy bug.

Fair enough. Having diarrhea 10-15 times a day is not fine though.

And I have been keeping myself to myself mostly over the past day to avoid spreading my anxiety. I know that's 'cowardly' but it's the best I can do atm.

She's been eating ok today which is a positive, but then again, if it was a bug she wouldn't feel hungry.

BlueIris
29-03-21, 09:46
Or, maybe she's gradually recovering.

ankietyjoe
29-03-21, 09:47
You're not being cowardly, you're doing the right thing for her.

A little blood on the tissue is not uncommon. It's gonna be raw down there.

Of course, listen to your Doctor ahead of me/anybody else here, but in the meantime we as parents have to pull ourselves together and not go down the self melodrama route every time they're sick.

Not judging, done it myself.

Also, this. Assuming it's NOT a bug because she's eating is not logical.

Or, maybe she's gradually recovering.

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 09:52
The blood is not on the tissue though, it's on pieces of stool, or rather, slightly tinged pink mucous. If it was the tissue then I'd be right ok fine, probably a cut. But there's been specks on the stool which is pretty alarming.

BlueIris
29-03-21, 09:55
Can you find a quiet corner and try a guided meditation on your phone?

Debsi77
29-03-21, 09:55
My son had all the symptoms you are describing last year and like you I panicked when I saw the blood! Sent in a sample and it turned out to be a bug called campylobacter. He had a rough few days but lots of fluids and tlc and he was fine and I'm sure your daughter will be the same 😊
Keep us posted

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 09:59
My son had all the symptoms you are describing last year and like you I panicked when I saw the blood! Sent in a sample and it turned out to be a bug called campylobacter. He had a rough few days but lots of fluids and tlc and he was fine and I'm sure your daughter will be the same 
Keep us posted

Thanks for this, hopefully it will be something like that. Was it in the school or nursery? We haven't heard of anyone else getting ill that's all.

Although I do know someone who was very ill with campylobacter! My MIL has had H-Pylori recently, but I think that's got different symptoms and we haven't been in direct physical contact with her.

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 10:00
Can you find a quiet corner and try a guided meditation on your phone?

Yeah, I have started charging my ipod ready to listen to my hypnotherapy tracks.

BlueIris
29-03-21, 10:02
Great! It's tough, but pushing through the fear to do things you know are healthy can really help.

Debsi77
29-03-21, 10:05
Thanks for this, hopefully it will be something like that. Was it in the school or nursery? We haven't heard of anyone else getting ill that's all.

Although I do know someone who was very ill with campylobacter! My MIL has had H-Pylori recently, but I think that's got different symptoms and we haven't been in direct physical contact with her.

No probs I'm sure she will be fine lots of hugs and bedrest for a bit ☺️
It's awful how much we panic isn't it? I was in such a state when that happened last year and my husband was so calm! He sees things rationally whereas I panic and think the worst! Even my son was like mum it's just a bug I've got calm down 😂
Ps we worked out he caught it from Chinese food he had at his friend's house!

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 10:15
No probs I'm sure she will be fine lots of hugs and bedrest for a bit ☺️
It's awful how much we panic isn't it? I was in such a state when that happened last year and my husband was so calm! He sees things rationally whereas I panic and think the worst! Even my son was like mum it's just a bug I've got calm down 
Ps we worked out he caught it from Chinese food he had at his friend's house!

Hmm, I can't think of anywhere she would have caught food poisoning though. We're vegetarian so wouldn;t have been through meat. We have our own chickens and had egg on toast for breakfast Saturday - she may have had a dodgy egg?

Debsi77
29-03-21, 10:22
Try and take a bit of time to relax your mind (easier said than done I know) see what the doctor says and I'm sure she will be fine, kids are always picking up bugs etc x

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 11:19
Try and take a bit of time to relax your mind (easier said than done I know) see what the doctor says and I'm sure she will be fine, kids are always picking up bugs etc x

I know, but she hasn't had anything like this before. I had a diarrhea bug or food poisoning last year which was pretty bad, but this is worse. And I didn't have specks of blood either.

She had a piece of jam on toast yesterday, but I'd imagine that would have worked itself out with all the toilet trips by this morning - unless it would have stayed in the system longer.

My partner has taken her to the dr now so we'll see what they say. I'd imagine she'll have to give a stool sample at the very least, which cues the worry of waiting for results.

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 12:29
She's seen a dr who didn't seem that concerned, and just said it most likely a viral bug (possibly food poisoning) that will take time.

I did ask my partner to make sure she discussed crohn's or UC but she didn't. I think doctors need prompting with that sort of thing so I'm a bit disappointed.

BlueIris
29-03-21, 12:31
It's been less than two days. Besides, it's best to trust your partner with this because as stated, she doesn't have health anxiety.

I once had an online acquaintance who suffered from bad health anxiety that she then started applying to her children. The poor things had all manner of unnecessary tests and even surgeries.

Please don't let your kids be like that? I had to pull away from her because it was either that or speak to Child Support.

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 13:14
It's been less than two days. Besides, it's best to trust your partner with this because as stated, she doesn't have health anxiety.

I once had an online acquaintance who suffered from bad health anxiety that she then started applying to her children. The poor things had all manner of unnecessary tests and even surgeries.

Please don't let your kids be like that? I had to pull away from her because it was either that or speak to Child Support.

Therein lies the problem, I don't trust people - at a lot of things.

I would like to think that I'd be strong enough not to make unnecessary health decisions, but our two probably have had more than average amounts of visits to docs/hospital over the years. Not just my fault btw, my partner was also a big worrier over them in the past.

pulisa
29-03-21, 13:31
Try not to catastrophise and concentrate on facts. The GP wasn't concerned. Your partner has been reassured and didn't feel the need to question the GP's assessment of your little girl.
Try not to speculate/ruminate on the source of this tummy episode. You will only come up with worse case scenarios because you've done so much "research" in the past regarding your own "definite" diagnoses. Don't poke around in your daughter's poo unless you want a bout of it yourself!

MrLurcher
29-03-21, 15:08
Try not to catastrophise and concentrate on facts. The GP wasn't concerned. Your partner has been reassured and didn't feel the need to question the GP's assessment of your little girl.
Try not to speculate/ruminate on the source of this tummy episode. You will only come up with worse case scenarios because you've done so much "research" in the past regarding your own "definite" diagnoses. Don't poke around in your daughter's poo unless you want a bout of it yourself!

It's a bit late for that!

She is still going very regularly and very watery. I'm not 100% satisfied with the appointment and my gut feeling (pardon the pun) is that there's something worse going on.

nomorepanic
29-03-21, 15:11
It is extremely unlikely at her age to have IBD.

She has a bug and it will run its course over the next couple of days.

Stop making yourself ill over this - it won't do you any good at all.

BlueIris
29-03-21, 15:17

She is still going very regularly and very watery. I'm not 100% satisfied with the appointment and my gut feeling (pardon the pun) is that there's something worse going on.

The problem with health anxiety is that you can't trust your gut, because it's been overtaken by irrational fears just like the rest of you.

Lana
29-03-21, 16:35
Mr.L,

Has your daughter been on antibiotics recently? It sounds very much like C Diff intestinal infection, which I have experience with. Blood tinged mucus is normal with C Diff. It most of the time is caused when longer or strong antibiotic therapy kills good gut flora.

ankietyjoe
29-03-21, 16:37
Can we cut out the remote diagnosis'?

The OP isn't listening to a real Dr, let alone unqualified web'sperts.

Fishmanpa
29-03-21, 17:01
Mr. L, she saw a doctor. Their explanation is the cause. You're obviously spiraling as this thread is 10 hours old and 5 pages so far. Perhaps you should stop catastrophizing and take care of your daughter as opposed to spending time here posting worst case scenarios that are not only irrational, but extremely unrealistic.

FMP

emmabombemma
29-03-21, 17:23
I had these exact symptoms last October and it was a nasty virus. I was always hungry still I just kept pooing and had blood in stool and stringy mucus. It was tested and was a bug. Tears in the anal area can also put blood on the stool and that will happen with a lot of toilet visits. Trust me as someone who has family with IBD and Chrons it does not appear like that just one day randomly. It would start slowly bit by bit and then ramps up. It does not suddenly appear like that.

pulisa
29-03-21, 17:51

You ALWAYS feel like this though...It's never anything other than a dramatic and life changing diagnosis.

MyNameIsTerry
29-03-21, 22:52
Blood can occur with loose stools quite naturally since they are more acidic. But constantly going alone can mean some blood due to tears which just happens just like how too much coughing or blowing your nose can.

Mucus is always there inside you in that area but going so often can mean you start to excrete it. People with long term piles, like myself, see them for years and it means nothing.

So if the GP is unconcerned you need to use your tools to cope with your feelings.

It's time to sit and wait it out. Your daughter will soon be over this. Kids get lots of bugs and GPs see them all the time. I hope she is better soon. It sounds like she is on the mend now she is able to eat.

Having your own chickens must be really nice for your daughter

Honestly, 36 ain't as unusual as you think. My mum once had similar for over a week. Once gone she was all fine.

36 hours in and you've jumped to a diagnosis a doctor wouldn't be considering so early on I bet. Can you see how your HA is skewing your thoughts?

debs71
30-03-21, 00:16
Hi MrLurcher,

Please try not to worry, though I know that is easier said than done with anxiety.

I'm a former children's nurse. My guess is that this is a very bad bout of gastroeteritis. Your daughter is just the right age for this and it is VERY common in young children.

The blood in tiny specks is undoubtedly from her bottom being sore having had so much stool pass through. We adults get the same when we strain or go to poo a lot. the lining of the anus tears a little, hence the blood. All of your daughter's symptoms sound like typical gastroenteritis, at least to me.

Has she vomited? If she hasn't, that is a big plus. Sometimes kids get both vomiting and diarrhoea, or one or the other alone. If she is keeping stuff down, the main thing you need to do which is CRUCIAL is to keep her drinking plain water/fluids. You can also get some rehydration salts like DIORALYTE to replace the fluid and electrolytes that she is losing through all of the loose poo. Drinking water also helps flush out the bug causing her illness.

Try not to be too concerned that this is something more serious. It is more than likely that she has gastro. Has she been attending nursery or reception class? Nurseries and early years school are breeding grounds for bugs amongst kids.

I hope your daughter gets well very soon. As long as she stays well hydrated, this will pass soon, I am sure of it.

Take care.

MrLurcher
30-03-21, 08:44
Thanks for the replies and advice all.

To answer Lana, no she hasn't had any antibiotics so it won't be C-diff.

And to debs71 above, not she hasn't vomited - tbh, if she had been vomiting I would have been more at ease it was a bug. But that would have been even worse for her. Friday was her last day in the school's nursery, so could have caught something then?

We have tried giving her Dioralyte in various forms but she keeps saying her drink is yucky! We've even add it to a large part of orange juice, but she says she can taste it. Any tips?!

She became much better yesterday afternoon, and ate all her dinner and had a gap of 14 hours between a bowel movement which was a bit more formed this morning.

Unfortunately speaking to that out of hours doctor early on Monday morning spiked me further because he said 'it could be the start of something'. Didn't help that I'd barely slept and my anxiety was already high.

Throughout all my IBS troubles a few years ago, I never had blood (maybe once), so seeing those specks really threw me over the edge. Plus this was a very nasty bug if that's what it is.

I'm hoping she's getting over this now, as she's much better again this morning, touch wood.

And I'm sorry for winding other members up again. I haven't had a major panic over health issues for quite a while now, so I'm quite disappointed how I handled this situation. Even though I had a very similar bug (or food poisoning) in christmas 2019, I couldn't reassure myself that this was probably the same thing.

pulisa
30-03-21, 08:55
The out of hours doctor didn't help as I said before. Unnecessary comment via the phone and not based on clinical examination.

Glad she's feeling better, Mr L. She won't need the dioralyte if she's eating and drinking again now. Just keep plain fluids flowing and avoid orange juice because it's too acidic after a bug.

BlueIris
30-03-21, 09:04
Don't beat yourself up over a slip-up, either. These things happen, and I don't know about you but I actually find it harder when it's happening to someone I care about.

Debsi77
30-03-21, 09:34
Glad to hear she's feeling a bit better sounds like she is on the mend 👍 and don't apologise we have all been there and all know what its like ❤️

debs71
30-03-21, 17:54
You really have nothing to worry about if she is eating and drinking now. It is just a case of sitting it out and waiting for the diarrhoea to end, which it will.

As Pulisa said, she doesn't require Dioralyte if she is eating and drinking. It is only needed if she is losing fluids and not replacing them. You will find that her loose poos may continue for a while yet, until the virus has fully worked its way out of her system.

As far as her not liking the Dioralyte goes, I believe you can buy natural Dioralyte which has no flavour to it, unlike the blackcurrant and citrus one, but I could be wrong. It has been a while since I nursed or had to use Dioralyte so can't say for certain.

MyNameIsTerry
30-03-21, 18:28
And going so much, with less eating, might mean less fibre so stools are off for a bit anyway.

Yoghurt will help to correct gut issues if she will eat it.

Glad to hear she is on the mend. Dontbkucj yourself too much because that is another weapon in the anxiety arsenal. Treat it as a learning experience.