PDA

View Full Version : Oesophagus cancer worries

Nighttime pacer
31-03-21, 09:34
Hi all, since the pandemic started I’ve lost around 20 pounds in weight which my doctor is putting down to anxiety and also lifestyle changes.
For the last couple of weeks I’ve had a slightly sore throat and a sensation of mucus at the back of it and feeling like I’m producing a bit more saliva than usual.
I’ve had slight reflux issues in the past but for the last year apart from some belching everything seemed ok so I had pretty much stopped the 10mg of omeprazole that I was on.
I’m now panicking like crazy that the weight loss and feeling of mucus are due to cancer of the oesophagus.
I had an endoscopy done 2 years and 4 months ago which was fine.
I’ve never smoked and am only a light drinker and was slightly overweight but now in the normal range. I’m 46 and wondering how common it is to get cancer of the oesophagus at my age.
Panicking like crazy here and have booked a video consultation with my gastroenterologist in 2 weeks.
Thanks for reading
Nighttime pacer

chinesewall
31-03-21, 10:59
Slight sore throat and mucus over the last two weeks - couldn't be tree pollen related could it? My allergies have been producing the exact same symptoms the last fortnight.... No weight loss though (I wish!)

Nighttime pacer
31-03-21, 11:11
Hey Chinesewall, I just spoke to my GP who’s not very concerned though he did say to go back on omeprazole and up the dose for a while.
Interesting what you say about tree pollen. Some years I get hayfever some years I don’t but it’s usually grass pollen with me but maybe it is the tree pollen.
I had Covid last April and maybe it’s rewired my allergies!
Thanks again, it sounds like a possibility. I’ll see if the omeprazole helps and if not may try some antihistamines.
Nighttime pacer