PDA

View Full Version : Question here

Scaredtoo
07-04-21, 21:59
I know none of us are doctors. I’m really looking for advice on how to think about this.

In June of 2019 I had a chest and shoulder X-ray for some shouldering back pain. It’s like an ache. Hurts most if I’m laying on it. So I get this X-ray and the doctor says the only thing they see on X-ray are surgical clips. I had a preventative mastectomy in 2012 with diep flap. Otherwise it was fine. She said it was fine.

Here I am today almost 2 years later with this same issue. Pretty much the same. Flares. Can go for days without it bothering me. No swelling or anything.

Now I’m going down the rabbit hole of panic. I mean I am just killing myself with these what if’s. I’m scared and irrational. Anyone have any advice to not catastrophize this? It’s robbing me of joy and causing a lot of depression

Fishmanpa
07-04-21, 22:21
Honestly, we all have a physical anomaly or ailment that causes us discomfort in one way or another. The key is accepting it and finding ways to help alleviate it (physical therapy) or psychological therapy to help you deal with something that most of us deal with daily.

Positive thoughts

BrokenGirl
07-04-21, 22:48
I agree with Fishman - nearly everyone has some ailment that they have to learn to live with. I've had neck pain for years and I still don't know what causes it. I've been in a lot of pain for the past week with shoulder and arm pain, and I haven't a clue what's causing that either. Everyone has something!

You had a clear x-ray 2 years ago, and even though you still have the pain, it hasn't got any worse. Do you honestly think if it was something serious that it would stay the same for 2 years?

This is your HA mind trying to push you down the rabbit hole. You need to push back and acknowledge that the thoughts you're having are just thoughts and nothing more. Yes they're strong thoughts and they make you feel like crap but you have to keep repeating to yourself that they're only thoughts.
You know deep down that there's nothing serious going on.
I know it sucks because I've been there a million times myself. But don't let those HA thoughts win here, keep fighting them, show them who's boss :)

Fishmanpa
07-04-21, 22:58
I agree with Fishman - nearly everyone has some ailment that they have to learn to live with. I've had neck pain for years and I still don't know what causes it. I've been in a lot of pain for the past week with shoulder and arm pain, and I haven't a clue what's causing that either. Everyone has something!

You had a clear x-ray 2 years ago, and even though you still have the pain, it hasn't got any worse. Do you honestly think if it was something serious that it would stay the same for 2 years?

This is your HA mind trying to push you down the rabbit hole. You need to push back and acknowledge that the thoughts you're having are just thoughts and nothing more. Yes they're strong thoughts and they make you feel like crap but you have to keep repeating to yourself that they're only thoughts.
I know it sucks because I've been there a million times myself. But don't let those HA thoughts win here, keep fighting them, show them who's boss :)

Well said B Girl..... Glad to see this reply from you ;)

Positive thoughts

BrokenGirl
07-04-21, 23:34
Well said B Girl..... Glad to see this reply from you ;)

Positive thoughts
Thanks Fishmanpa :)

Over the past few months I really hit rock bottom with HA. So I decided enough was enough and started doing some cbt myself.
I have a million miles to go yet, and god knows how many wobbles and falls I'll have along the way, but I'm finally ready for this journey.
It's so sad what HA does to people. Even take the OP here, who I'm certain knows deep down that there's nothing wrong, but those thoughts can just get out of control so quickly and convince a person of anything. I really hope she can push past this one and get control of her life again.

Carys
08-04-21, 13:56
Over the past few months I really hit rock bottom with HA. So I decided enough was enough and started doing some cbt myself.

:yesyes::)

Scaredtoo
08-04-21, 15:42

Really appreciate the advice and kind words. Means a lot. Thanks for the encouragement. 😀