PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure Confusion

Anna77
08-11-07, 21:52
I got a BP monitor this week, and mine is around 105/45 on average.

Now i'm worrying though because the latter number seems very low :( I've done some searches about it online, and the info given seems to vary massively from telling me this is a good thing, to telling me to see my GP immediately.

When i get panic attacks, i feel dizzy and then pass out for a bit, so i'm wondering if this is all interlinked, and if it is then maybe some kind of medication might help stop me fainting. I don't like going to the doctor's but does it sound like it'd be worth going about this, or am i just stressing over nothing? (Quite possibly :blush: ). Thanks,

Anna x

angiebaby
08-11-07, 23:51
Hello, i know how you feel. Can i ask a couple of questions?
Firstly what sort of monitor are you using?
How are you taking your bp, what position are you in, what position is your arm in, where is the monitor positioned, etc?
Are you on any medication at all?
All of these things make a difference. Also family history of low bp, or a diagnosis of ME, anything like that.
Arm monitors are much more reliable than wrist monitors and they have to be positioned precisely to be accurate.
I have had a bp reading of 98/51 before and i didn't like it one bit.
Your bp also drops after having a bath. Our bp's fluctuate through every second of every day, it will probably never be the same reading twice.
I would visit the practice nurse at your surgery and get them to take it, it will probably be different again then. Some people do just have a naturally low bp and i have seen young and fit people with a low bp and that is good. Let me know how you go on.x

Alisonj
09-11-07, 00:04
Anything under 90/50 is considered hypotension. Low blood pressure is not a bad thing at all as long as it isnt causing any symptoms. But it does sound like you could be experiencing symptoms so I would see your doc and see what they say.
I myself feel yucky when mine goes about 90/51.

Anna77
09-11-07, 17:05
Thanks both for your replies :hugs:

Angiebaby - it's an arm monitor, a LLoyds pharmacy one. I take it sat down with my arm resting on the table in front of me, and the monitor on the table. I'm not on any meds, and i have a family history of high blood pressure, rather than low. I was a heavy smoker for years, my diet's not all that, and i haven't done any exercise for a fair while, so it does seem odd.

I did it earlier today and it was 94/49, pulse 81. Thanks again for your reply anyway x

angiebaby
09-11-07, 22:29
Good, as i say arm machines are more accurate and we use them in the gp surgery. Sit comfortably and make sure your arm is relaxed. It is best to take it after you have been sitting for 15 minutes. Place the monitor with the tubes in the crook of your elbow, in the middle, and the cuff must be an inch above the crook. Your arm may need a pillow under it too as it must be at the same level as your heart.
I would go and get the practice nurse to do it for you at the surgery, just to make sure. You can also take the monitor into the surgery and get them to check it's accuracy for you.
Let me know how it goes.x

Anna77
09-11-07, 23:55
Thanks so much for being so helpful - is really nice of you x

angiebaby
10-11-07, 13:12
That is no problem, i hope i have been of some small help. You will be fine and please let me know how you get on.x