PDA

View Full Version : AstraZeneca vaccine?

always scared
10-04-21, 02:33
I was wondering who here has had the AstraZeneca vaccine? Here in Canada its available to me but I'm terrified to get it because of the blood clot risk. I would prefer the Pfizer or the Moderna one but that won't be available to me until the summer.

I don't know what to do!! :wacko:

Gary A
10-04-21, 03:04
I’ve had a first dose two weeks ago, my mother and father have both had two doses of the AZ vaccine. My father felt dreadful for two days after the fact, neither me or my mother felt anything. My father is fine now.

It’s your decision, but what I would say is that there is more risk of contracting a blood clot on a very long haul flight. The risk of dying from a blood clot after a single dose of the AZ vaccine is akin to worrying about paracetamol causing epilepsy.

It’s your decision, but I definitely have to note that you probably take much higher risks with your life carrying out every day activities than you would by taking this vaccine.

MyNameIsTerry
10-04-21, 04:58
The risk is 1 in 250,000 with AZ. Risk of blood clots when taking the contraceptive pill is 1 in 2,000.

I don't see all these countries panicking about the pill.

And don't forget the risk of getting a blood clot from Covid is much higher.

This very rare risk issue plays right into anxiety disorder traits. Isn't it just the same as that rare cancer some fear? :winks:

Carys
10-04-21, 09:48
I had AZ 3 weeks ago. My Brother in Law, sister, Mother, husband and Brother have all had it, no problems. In all honesty I don't understand this extreme panic about it, why not panicking about painkillers in the same way for their very rare side effects or any other medication for that matter ? Now this very rare side effect is known about, and the symptoms of it, those people will be picked up and treated.

Edited to add - I suppose I do understand why people are jittery. People aren't usually aware of all the potentially dangerous VERY RARE side effects of everything else they take, or every event in their lives e.g. crossing the road, you aren't given the probabilities of crossing before you step out - but when those very rare events are brought dramatically to the public's attention then anyone with HA is going to think 'that will be me'. Everyone without HA thinks 'that won't be me'.

Pamplemousse
10-04-21, 10:49
[...] anyone with HA is going to think 'that will be me'. Everyone without HA thinks 'that won't be me'.

This describes my thinking to a T - "well, it has to happen to someone, so why not me?"

I'm also brilliant at fantastical/catastrophic thinking too (at the moment, despite indications to the contrary, I'm wondering if I have acute mercury poisoning)

pulisa
10-04-21, 13:53
Hasn't the J&J vaccine got the same issues as well re blood clots?

Debbiee
10-04-21, 14:59
I had mine on the 2nd of April, still have the shivers and headaches, rang the emergency 111 number put a dr on and basically if the headache is a pain you can’t stand go to A&E if it’s bearable call your own dr and see what’s wrong, but not much help at all......I have taken painkillers etc but still have the headache, everybody else seems to be ok after 48 hours, but I’m a worrier so I probably make myself worse.

MyNameIsTerry
10-04-21, 18:17
Hasn't the J&J vaccine got the same issues as well re blood clots?

Yes, 4 cases of which 1 died. One scientist advising the government gave an interesting risk comparison:

On Saturday a scientist advising the Government said any blot clots associated with the J&J vaccine are “extraordinarily rare events”.

Professor Peter Openshaw, a member of the Covid-19 clinical information network, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “We still don’t know whether they are directly related and caused by the vaccine but it seems possible that they could be.

“It wouldn’t be surprising to find the J&J, the Janssen vaccine, also causes rare blood clots because it’s based on an adenovirus technology which is not that far away from the technology being used in the AstraZeneca vaccine.”

Asked if he is concerned it could undermine public confidence in coronavirus jabs, Prof Openshaw said: “These are extraordinarily rare events and there is no medicine that is going to be completely free of side effects but this is on the scale of the risk of adverse outcome you would expect if you get into a car and drive 250 miles, and many of us wouldn’t blink before taking that risk.”

darlene85
13-04-21, 02:44
I am very afraid of AstraZeneca after a 33 year old man died in my country. They are now calling younger people like me because many people don't want AstraZeneca. I've always had a slightly elevated thrombocytes and my father had a deep venous trombosys and I also take Sulpiride/Eglonyl for my anxiety which is known to make blood clots so I think I'll definitely die from AstraZeneca ,I'll be that rare case. I suffer from HA very badly though.

Also, I'll probably die of covid if I don't get vaccine due to being obese, 140/90 blood pressure, Hashimoto that's not under control and probably diabetic since my last blood exam when I had a stomach bug show 8.3 blood sugar. I am so scared that I am becoming sucidal and at the same time I don't want to die. I don't know what to do. I want Pfizer but I can't get it.

BlueIris
13-04-21, 05:50
Your chances of getting a blood clot from covid are drastically higher than from the AZ vaccine.

Lencoboy
13-04-21, 08:00
Your chances of getting a blood clot from covid are drastically higher than from the AZ vaccine.

Exactly.

And I'm still struggling to fathom why certain individuals consider the risks of catching Covid, and possibly getting a blood clot from that in itself, the lesser of the two evils.

I do reckon certain impressionable people are becoming indoctrinated by know-it-alls on social media!

BlueIris
13-04-21, 08:05
I think so, and I think this is compounded by the fact that most people don't like needles ;)

Scass
13-04-21, 08:29
It’s health anxiety though. We all want the vaccine but we’re terrified of the side effects! I say “we”. It’s not all of us, but it’s very common.

I think of it like this - nearly everyone I know has already had this vaccine and were all ok - some felt ill for a little while after but most didn’t. There was no fear of clots for them because it wasn’t a noticed thing then, so they didn’t have any “symptoms” after either.

If your doctor doesn’t think you should have the AZ one they will tell you, but please call for advice due to your medical conditions. It WILL be flagged up if they think It’s a concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyNameIsTerry
13-04-21, 08:35
Yes, it is HA and it's a chink in their armour when governments are effectively acting akin to a Daily Mail medical article.

Hospitals are reporting being overwhelmed by people turning up to A&E, some sent by their GPs, but they say other than a headache nothing is wrong.

Pamplemousse
13-04-21, 10:30
I think the suggestion is that if you've got a headache like Leon Trotsky, then it's a problem.

Otherwise, take paracetamol.

queenelizabeth
13-04-21, 21:45
I Had AZ 2 days ago, I feel ok for now

Lencoboy
14-04-21, 08:11
I Had AZ 2 days ago, I feel ok for now

Looks like OAZ has resumed in Canada now then?

Panicattacka
14-04-21, 16:29
BBC: AstraZeneca vaccine: Denmark stops rollout completely
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56744474

Carys
14-04-21, 17:49
"Meanwhile the Czech Deputy Prime Minister Jan Hamacek said he had instructed the Czech ambassador in Denmark to try to buy the 2.4 million AstraZeneca vaccines doses that the Danes would no longer be using."

After the Danish announcement, France said it viewed the AstraZeneca vaccine as an "essential tool".

"It is important that this vaccine continue to be deployed. It is a vaccine that is safe and works," a French government spokesman said.

From same article.

pulisa
14-04-21, 17:58
So Denmark thinks that it is saving its bacon by withdrawing from the OAZ programme? More vaccine for the poorer countries who actually want to immunise their citizens I suppose?

Pamplemousse
14-04-21, 19:00
So Denmark thinks that it is saving its bacon by withdrawing from the OAZ programme?

I saw what you did there... :roflmao:

pulisa
14-04-21, 19:35
Well the OAZ does appear to be putting in a rather streaky performance, doesn't it?

Carys
14-04-21, 19:37
I saw what you did there...

I didn't :roflmao:

Pamplemousse
14-04-21, 20:17
Rasher than normal for P...

pulisa
14-04-21, 20:36
We're certainly trottering them out tonight!

MyNameIsTerry
14-04-21, 22:55
So Denmark thinks that it is saving its bacon by withdrawing from the OAZ programme? More vaccine for the poorer countries who actually want to immunise their citizens I suppose?

Yes, perhaps donate this at cost vaccine from a rich nation to a poor one.

So they won't want J&J either? Same tech.

debs71
15-04-21, 21:51
I have just booked both of my vaccines. I say BRING THEM ON.

If you read the inserts that come with any drug or vaccine know to man, you will find hundreds of side effects and some pretty daunting, just like the Covid vaccines blood clot drama. If you knew what just simple Ibuprofen could do and were of a hypersensitive and paranoid persuasion, you would never take it again!

It has just recently been reported that you are TEN TIMES MORE LIKELY to get brain blood clots from Covid than you are from any of the vaccines. I blame the media for totally hyping up this issue with the vaccines and not reporting the statistical chances more fully. You can also get this same effect from a very widely used blood thinner, Heparin. Are we all getting steamed up about that??

Having had Covid in December, I would far rather take my chances with vaccination.

Carys
15-04-21, 21:55
Great post !

Pamplemousse
15-04-21, 22:11
Yes, perhaps donate this at cost vaccine from a rich nation to a poor one.

So they won't want J&J either? Same tech.

What I find interesting here Terry, is that when the vaccines were under development it was the "new" mRNA vaccines that people were getting worked up about and how they'd modify your DNA and such like, and that "conventional" vaccines would be safer.

That went well, didn't it?

MyNameIsTerry
15-04-21, 23:30
What I find interesting here Terry, is that when the vaccines were under development it was the "new" mRNA vaccines that people were getting worked up about and how they'd modify your DNA and such like, and that "conventional" vaccines would be safer.

That went well, didn't it?

Both work great from what I can see and those same people just latch onto anything to support their argument. They are safe and even some taking Pfizer have died. Initially they started using Pfizer but all the AZ confusion took over.

I never really understood that point about changing your DNA since epigenetic research has shown how we can then certain genes on or off with even stress. They seem to think it was sci fi 3rd arm territory. :shrug: You've probably seen some even stating it's a crime as we can't consent citing Geneva and medical experimentation?

They cling on to quick development despite experts explaining this is how it could be if we through unlimited funds at one problem. And the testing has included a lot of people often with well established tech. How many years do we wait because we still don't understand the long term effects of many of the antidepressants we are taking.

MyNameIsTerry
15-04-21, 23:40
I have just booked both of my vaccines. I say BRING THEM ON.

If you read the inserts that come with any drug or vaccine know to man, you will find hundreds of side effects and some pretty daunting, just like the Covid vaccines blood clot drama. If you knew what just simple Ibuprofen could do and were of a hypersensitive and paranoid persuasion, you would never take it again!

It has just recently been reported that you are TEN TIMES MORE LIKELY to get brain blood clots from Covid than you are from any of the vaccines. I blame the media for totally hyping up this issue with the vaccines and not reporting the statistical chances more fully. You can also get this same effect from a very widely used blood thinner, Heparin. Are we all getting steamed up about that??

Having had Covid in December, I would far rather take my chances with vaccination.

Very true, Debs. I think I recall you have asthma? So like me you will know how Ibuprofen is a well known trigger for an attack.

In the process of booking mine.

Love the hair! :yesyes:

Pamplemousse
16-04-21, 04:40
Well, I know the effects of being on antidepressants for years on me: they simply stopped working.

MyNameIsTerry
16-04-21, 16:03
No idea about the affiliations of this media outlet but it shows not all experts agree with their government's approach. In this it's Spain:

http://www.surinenglish.com/national/202104/14/more-chance-side-effects-20210414181435.html

They seem as baffled about why this jab is a big risk when no one cares about much high commonplace meds on the market.