PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan Mubarak

WiredIncorrectly
11-04-21, 21:37
This year will be my first year doing Ramadan. I am excited, and nervous, but mostly excited. It's going to be a time for a lot of reflection, prayer, healthy eating, good deeds and importantly a detox for the body.

Peace, blessings and love to all.

Anglo
11-04-21, 23:53
Congratulations to you. Could you share with us what new things you'll be doing (or not doing)?

pulisa
12-04-21, 08:05
Good luck, James..Does this detox include or exclude your meds?

Lolalee1
12-04-21, 10:08
Ramadan Kareem James.:yesyes:

You can take meds pulisa :)

ankietyjoe
12-04-21, 11:07
I've been daily fasting for years bruv, it's not particularly hard to do if you're eating healthily. I do anything between 15-20 hours a day without food.

The only thing to watch is that for the first few days you'll feel a little light headed and possibly experience increased cortisol.

I'm not a massive fan of not drinking water either, but it depends on how strict you want to be.

Good luck.

WiredIncorrectly
12-04-21, 19:45
Good luck, James..Does this detox include or exclude your meds?

I am still taking my medications just not during the fasting period. I take them before, and after.

WiredIncorrectly
12-04-21, 19:47
Congratulations to you. Could you share with us what new things you'll be doing (or not doing)?

As this is my first Ramadan I have decided to keep it simple and focus on completing Ramadan. I did have lots of ideas to quit various things but I decided to keep things simple and focused :)

WiredIncorrectly
12-04-21, 19:48
Ramadan Kareem James.:yesyes:

You can take meds pulisa :)

Thanks Lolaelee1, so good to see you around. How are you?

WiredIncorrectly
12-04-21, 19:48
I've been daily fasting for years bruv, it's not particularly hard to do if you're eating healthily. I do anything between 15-20 hours a day without food.

The only thing to watch is that for the first few days you'll feel a little light headed and possibly experience increased cortisol.

I'm not a massive fan of not drinking water either, but it depends on how strict you want to be.

Good luck.

Yeah it's pretty easy mate. I'm used to eating late anyway. I'm parched, I've got 15 minutes left. Get a good cuppa down me.

WiredIncorrectly
12-04-21, 20:15
Do you want to know something really sad though. My friend asked what I was up to, I said "I'm fasting today, I'll be on later about 8". He called me a pedophile for being Muslim. This is somebody I've known a long time.

WiredIncorrectly
12-04-21, 22:28
My sieve brain started Ramadan a day early :roflmao:

.Poppy.
13-04-21, 00:34
Do you want to know something really sad though. My friend asked what I was up to, I said "I'm fasting today, I'll be on later about 8". He called me a pedophile for being Muslim. This is somebody I've known a long time.

That's incredibly rude of your "friend". I don't know much about Ramadan as I live in an area that is very dominantly Christian and tbh I'm not super religious myself. But if you can't say anything nice, just don't say anything at all. :wacko:

WiredIncorrectly
13-04-21, 04:52
Feel like a failure already. Accidentally cocked up the dates, and tonight as the time got near to where I couldn't eat or drink I had a panic attack that wouldn't settle. I didn't even feel hungry to eat a full meal either.

5 minutes in I was wrestling my mind "I need a drink", "No you can't drink Ramadan has started", "But I need a drink I'm having a panic attack", "You're weak James", "This is a test", "What if I drink will I go to hell?".

It just wouldn't stop in my mind. I was constantly checking my pulse, I felt majorly off. So I drank and felt better but then felt majorly depressed because I'd already broke the fast 15 minutes into it. Now I feel doomed. Like a failure. Not worthy in the eyes of God. My prayer, my reading of the Quran, my study of Islam all for nothing. I failed at the first hurdle. My mind is saying "Don't bother to pray, you've failed, come back when you're ready".

This is not meant to happen. I'm not of right mind to do this right now. Or am I justifying myself for failure.

I hate life sometimes.

I have nowhere else to discuss this. And some people here seem to know me. So I hope somebody can chime in here.

BlueIris
13-04-21, 05:48
Okay, so, my knowledge here is limited, but... (2mins later) I checked and confirmed. People who are sick or otherwise vulnerable (which includes mental health conditions) are not required to fast.

James, this is another huge undertaking and there's no shame in not being ready for it right now. You're ill, that's not your fault, and you probably shouldn't be doing something so drastic at this stage. Maybe give the fasting a miss until another year when you're more stable, and focus on the good deeds this time?

WiredIncorrectly
13-04-21, 06:15
I did read that too Blue. It feels like giving up on a race when you've only just left the starting blocks. I've had a think about tonight and all I could think of is pulisa saying "Are you sure you're in the right frame of mind for this?" :doh: I think she wanted to, but didn't know how to put it with the post being about religion.

I shall continue with prayer, reading, and doing good deeds.

BlueIris
13-04-21, 06:19
These are the important things. Keep yourself healthy - people here care about you.

WiredIncorrectly
13-04-21, 06:24
These are the important things. Keep yourself healthy - people here care about you.

Thank you Blue :bighug1: you got me a little tear in my eye then. I love you all. Such kind people.

BlueIris
13-04-21, 07:40
:bighug1:

Not sure if you've been reading my thread, but last week I was in a situation where I genuinely had no choice other than to push myself past what I was normally capable of coping with. I'm okay now (mostly) but it was a traumatising experience and I wouldn't recommend it. You're doing the right thing.

pulisa
13-04-21, 08:24
I agree with Blue, James and yes..I did want you to be cautious about such a major plan but didn't want to be the eternal misery guts and dampen your enthusiasm for something so noble.

I'd say definitely don't fast (especially in view of your brush with bulimia) but keep your life simple and reflective and be mindful of other people's needs..That sounds like a great Ramadan experience?

I really pushed my own boundaries too yesterday and am certainly feeling the effects. You keep doing what you are doing and keep yourself stable which is all that matters:hugs:

Scass
13-04-21, 08:32
I think it’s admirable that you will be following the principles James. You don’t need to do anything that will make you feel ill, but you could definitely do the bits that may help you feel better. And you are absolutely not a failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyNameIsTerry
13-04-21, 09:00
James, you sound isolated when there should be support around to discuss this. Have you got a local Mosque? Do you attend?

You've painted yourself a bad person despite Islam being practical about when it's not possible. They put that there for a reason: so people don't fail when ill and it doesn't make them any less committed to their faith.

I'm wondering if speaking to a spiritual leader would go further than what Blue has reminded you of? They might look at your health and agree it doesn't have to be so all or nothing?

I don't know, I've had Muslim mates over the years but never asked that. But despite the expectations set I've always got the sense it is best efforts because sometimes life gets in the way. And not all Muslims stick to everything but does that mean they are lesser in the eyes of God? Perhaps this is where having a leader to talk to comes in? Maybe starting later is acceptable anyway and shows more commitment than missing it completely?

I don't know too much about religion, any of them, and I would imagine questions like this are answered even online. Maybe consider them? Maybe don't kick yourself if you don't know all the answers? You're new to Islam (I thought you had been a Muslim for years) and isn't a lot of learning required in faith? Aren't mistakes a learning experience and the teachings help provide guidance in dealing with experiences? So maybe it's not as bad as you think and a nurturing God would steer you rather than condemn you?

Lolalee1
13-04-21, 09:06
Thanks Lolaelee1, so good to see you around. How are you?

Thank you for caring James, I am on the mend.
You are doing the right thing it’s a hard thing Ramadan,my friend only lasted 2days last year and he is a Dr.

As-salamu alaikum
:hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
13-04-21, 09:09
Thank you for caring James, I am on the mend.
You are doing the right thing it’s a hard thing Ramadan,my friend only lasted 2days last year and he is a Dr.

As-salamu alaikum
:hugs:

Lola, a mate years ago was at the choccy machine buying several bars the minute he could. He joked about it. Iranian guy, one of the nicest people I've ever met.

Get better soon. Bet you can't wait to get home :hugs:

Lolalee1
13-04-21, 09:32
Iranians are beautiful people,the ones I know have a gentleness that is quite rare in our society,Terry.
My friends went straight to Maccas lol.

Yes I can’t wait to get out of this place I have a permanent bed here :D
At least I am off the Intravenous meds and on tablets now.
Hope you and your family are well.:hugs:

ankietyjoe
13-04-21, 10:22
Feel like a failure already. Accidentally cocked up the dates, and tonight as the time got near to where I couldn't eat or drink I had a panic attack that wouldn't settle. I didn't even feel hungry to eat a full meal either.

5 minutes in I was wrestling my mind "I need a drink", "No you can't drink Ramadan has started", "But I need a drink I'm having a panic attack", "You're weak James", "This is a test", "What if I drink will I go to hell?".

It just wouldn't stop in my mind. I was constantly checking my pulse, I felt majorly off. So I drank and felt better but then felt majorly depressed because I'd already broke the fast 15 minutes into it. Now I feel doomed. Like a failure. Not worthy in the eyes of God. My prayer, my reading of the Quran, my study of Islam all for nothing. I failed at the first hurdle. My mind is saying "Don't bother to pray, you've failed, come back when you're ready".

This is not meant to happen. I'm not of right mind to do this right now. Or am I justifying myself for failure.

I hate life sometimes.

I have nowhere else to discuss this. And some people here seem to know me. So I hope somebody can chime in here.

Calm down you muppet :yesyes:

Your body has become almost hard wired to expect food/drink at certain times. You are fighting a primal survival urge to eat or drink. It's not easy, and you don't have an entire culture around you to assist you with it.

I think Terry is on to something. Is there a local Mosque you can go to/attend?

Try not to let yourself go down the 'if it ain't right, it's wrong' road. Sometimes it just 'is', right?

pulisa
13-04-21, 13:37
Iranians are beautiful people,the ones I know have a gentleness that is quite rare in our society,Terry.
My friends went straight to Maccas lol.

Yes I can’t wait to get out of this place I have a permanent bed here :D
At least I am off the Intravenous meds and on tablets now.
Hope you and your family are well.:hugs:

Get well soon, Lola..Hope you soon get back to your home and that things get better for you really soon:hugs:

WiredIncorrectly
13-04-21, 15:55
Lola what's up? I just read that you're in hospital?

And thank you for the replies all. Still feeling like I let myself down but it will ease up. It was refreshing to learn a Dr. found it very difficult. I don't have any Muslim community around, but I agree I do need to find a mosque and speak to an Imam.

I think traditional Muslims have a lot of family, friends and community support to make it easier for them.

Joe you crack me up mate, but spot on :yesyes:

WiredIncorrectly
14-04-21, 01:10
Going to give it another go. I ate well today too which makes me feel better overall. I think if I feel like I am up to it on a given day then I should give it my best shot knowing that I can break the fast if I feel I need to. I think this is a good exercise in general in life ... to give things a try and don't be afraid to fail?

pulisa
14-04-21, 08:05
That's a really good attitude and don't worry if it doesn't work out? It's not worth jeopardising your health.

It won't be a matter of you "failing". Whatever you can manage will be a success.

Lolalee1
14-04-21, 10:08
Get well soon, Lola..Hope you soon get back to your home and that things get better for you really soon:hugs:

Thank you:flowers:I am hoping on being out of here on Saturday.X

pulisa
14-04-21, 13:56
That's good news..Not long to go now x

Pamplemousse
14-04-21, 16:03
James, it's your first attempt - it'll be difficult, I have no doubt. I have nothing but admiration for those who have the self-discipline to do this.

If you falter, there is Fidyah/Kafarra but I am sure you'll soon adjust.

Be strong, you can do this.

WiredIncorrectly
14-04-21, 17:31
I did have some liquid. I haven't been able to sleep at all. No food though. I'm not going to beat myself up over it, it is very difficult without water for somebody with panic. It's not the end of the world. I recognize it might be having a negative effect on my mental health.

I read this: https://www.dailysabah.com/life/religion/can-people-with-mental-illnesses-fast-in-ramadan (it's about Ramadan and mental illness)

And this quote stands out right now:

“The sleep pattern is one of the important matters to keep an eye on in Ramadan, and prolonged sleep regressions can cause a spike in the severity of the mental illness.”

As I've currently had very little sleep in over 24 hours I think I should recognize this.

ankietyjoe
14-04-21, 17:47
Dude listen.

As I've mentioned before I've been fasting for about 4 years now. Anything between 12 (absolute bare minimum) and 24 hours a day. My average is 15-17 hours. Yesterday I didn't eat until around 2pm, and I stopped eating around 5pm the day before.

It took me around a month to get used to it, but now I don't even feel it. It takes around 24 hours without food for my body to start giving me the grumbles.

But, I still recognise that fasting increases cortisol after a while, and for you that is what you are probably experiencing now. There is also the considerable mental toll for you of changing habit and safety nets.

Do the best you can, and do it slowly.

ankietyjoe
14-04-21, 18:00
Also worth noting that when children are first introduced to fasting, it's done slowly. My misses is muslim descent (not practicing in any way though) and I live in an area with a lot of muslims so it's all very familiar to us. It's encouraged in children from 'around' puberty, but it's often started around 9-10 years old where it often begins with just skipping breakfast and waiting until lunch. They made do that for several months before moving back lunch until later on in the day.

Your body is running on daily habitual hormonal cycles, and you cannot expect to just stop eating and drinking and feel ok. Your CNS is going straight into emergency mode because you're telling it resources are scarce.

AND.....eating all your food late at night will severely disrupt your sleeping patterns. You need to manage the switch dude.