PDA

View Full Version : Silly sadness pre-cataract op, need a hug!

Speranza
14-04-21, 11:46
Hi,
I've unashamedly come in search of virtual hugs and this looks like the place!

I'm 60, I've had glasses since I was 5 and have been used to my sight getting progressively worse over the years.
A few weeks ago I had my first surgery for cataracts which has had an amazing result in my right eye - I can see a long long way - but of course what I CAN'T do is read close up. I know myself pretty well and did a little emotional work beforehand as it is a huge change even though a positive one.

My second surgery is due on the 25th April (yes, a Sunday!) and I keep feeling really sad about losing my close vision (even though this is literally holding a book within two inches of my face - still, it's MY vision, right?). I will always need glasses for this from now on - no peering at labels and seeing what they say, or even reading in bed without glasses.

It doesn't matter how much I remind myself that lots of 60 year olds have to have reading glasses, it feels like a bereavement and I feel as though I've consented to being disabled! Even though I really could hardly see at any distance before!

The only answer is to feel the feels and make the adjustment, but I thought if anybody anywhere would understand, it would be someone on NMP!

I'm truly grateful for the surgery, which went completely fine, as I really could hardly function visually. I definitely need the second eye doing as I am currently exhausted coping with the weird mis-match of vision.

But - I'm sad!

Hugs welcome. ;)

Scass
14-04-21, 14:50
Aww, sending hugs. Can completely understand your push and pull of emotions over this one.
Let us know how it goes x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouiseAndy
14-04-21, 20:35
Sending you big hugs x

Scissel
15-04-21, 01:17
(((((((((hugs)))))))))

Speranza
15-04-21, 08:43
Thanks all! Am now self-isolating for 10 days pre-op. What a kerfuffle!

Seffie
12-01-23, 18:27
hi i know this is an old thread but i have just found out i’m starting with cataracts and will need surgery at some point. i am very short sighted and have been since 7 and also feel sad at the thought of not being able to see close up anymore! am ok with wearing reading glasses as i already do but will miss looking at things close up!! silly i know but i do understand x did your 2nd one go ok? i’m worried about retinal detachment as being so short sighted has stretched my retinas x hope you have adapted x