PDA

View Full Version : Blood pressure Monitors

hunny
09-11-07, 11:54
Hi

I just wondered if anyone has one of these and how accurate they are?
Ive been having really bad chest and arm pains recently

My BP on the machine has been between 126/72 and 107/62 , but I dont know if I can trust it as when the Dr does it its usually 140/80

Its an arm cuff one and I followed the instructions carefully

Also does anyone know why the top number may be higher at times especially at the Dr?:wacko:

TIA
H x

scoobygirl2005
09-11-07, 11:56
Hi

Am not sure, but maybe next time you go to the doctors you could bring it along and ask?

Scooby2005
x

jill
09-11-07, 13:15
Hi Hunny :hugs:

I have one of these. I bought it for hubby. I do use it mayself from time to time, but not that often. I have always had low blood presure and it seems its always right with me, it does go up and down from time to time, but I do believe that, thats what are blood presure does, depending on what we are doing, or if we are stressed out.

You blood presure seems normal to me, it may go up when going to gp because you feel anxious, this happens to alot of people, there are lots of threads on here about that.

Hope this helps,

You take care

LOVE JILLXX

ksmith
09-11-07, 13:33
I've got one of these and I think you're only meant to use them as a guide. I can make my arms ache at times as I'll keep taking it until I get a reading I like!! Also, right and left arms give different readings. Would take more notice of the doc's equipment than the 'home' devise.

Kay

nanny
09-11-07, 14:51
it's only my opinion, but i think using these things can make you worry more!

you blood pressure will go up and down all day for different reasons and to keep checking it and finding it's too high or too low will just give you more worry.:blush:

I have high blood pressure and need constant treament for it and i know if i were to use one of these i'd be demented within a week.:wacko:

Neilr1978
09-11-07, 16:45
it's only my opinion, but i think using these things can make you worry more!

you blood pressure will go up and down all day for different reasons and to keep checking it and finding it's too high or too low will just give you more worry.:blush:

I have high blood pressure and need constant treament for it and i know if i were to use one of these i'd be demented within a week.:wacko:

DITTO!!,I nearly went down that route of bp checking by getting a bp machine.What good does it do?...About as much good as me taking my pulse 20-30 times a day,how much does it help me?not one bit.They only thing i get out of it is a sore neck of checking my pulse loads lol.
I know for a fact it would only stress me checking my bp as it does at gp,whick would put up my bp which would make stress again and check my bp again which would be high which would make me........you see where it gets you....one way ticket to STRESSVILLE!!! lol

Anna77
09-11-07, 17:14
I got a BP monitor this week, and now i'm wishing i hadn't. It's just given me one extra thing to worry about, which i could've done without really! Don't know why i bought the damn thing now :wacko:

nomorepanic
09-11-07, 19:28
I have one at home but use it sensibly and don't keep checking over and over.

The reason I have it is cos my blood pressure is sky high at the doctors so I have to do my own readings and take them in for him.

I am on medication for high blood pressure as well.

I took mine in and the readings were lower than he got so he was happy that my machine was good to use and take accurate readings on.

I was also given a 24-hour blood pressure monitor in March and he was happy with the results.

hunny
09-11-07, 20:49
Hi

Thanks for your replies

I totally agree with the people that said it makes you worry more.I've had HA for a long time now and have always refused to get one of these,I have no idea what made me this time

Maybe I'll return it

H

honeybee3939
09-11-07, 20:54
Hi

I have a BP monitor too but i have taken the batteries out:ohmy: , i was getting obssessed with it. I only use it now if i have appointment with my gp, as my BP is always sky high when i visit the surgery so i take a few readings to show my GP what my pressure is at home.

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx