PDA

View Full Version : Please can someone reassure me?

Dee62
17-04-21, 15:45
Last night I had a horrible panic attack. I've not had one like it for many years. It was so bad we called the paramedics. A doctor came out, checked my pulse, BP, temperature, blood sugar, etc and all was absolutely fine. He said an ambulance was coming too, not because we needed it but because they could do an ecg. They arrived, did the ecg over half an hour or so, did all other obs again too. All absolutely fine. Pulse was over 107 to start but back to normal by the time they left. So why on earth am I having another one now when I've been reassured?? I've been fine all morning but started feeling a bit spacy which has made me panic.

Please reassure me if you can.

Many thanks, Dee

Scass
17-04-21, 16:10
Hi Dee,

That’s a very scary experience for you. I’m really glad you were ok (physically). Just because you’ve had that reassurance it doesn’t mean all the fear has gone though, it’s still there and you must be so emotionally drained. You just need to ride it out, it’s not causing you any harm, so just let it go.

I’m glad you asked for help, talking about it is good.

What do you normally do on a Saturday Dee?

X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ankietyjoe
17-04-21, 16:29
Not exactly sure what you want reassurance of?

You say you had a panic attack, but you've had them before so you know what they are right?

I assume by now that you understand that panic can come and go without obvious reason (the actual reason is always stress), so what reassurance do you need?

fishman65
17-04-21, 20:29
In fairness Joe, panic attacks are frightening which is probably why she's asking for reassurance. Sometimes connecting with another human being who understands and empathises is enough to reassure in itself. Barking at them like a guard dog probably won't help.

Dee62
17-04-21, 21:54
Scass, thank you. It's just nice to know I'm not the only one feeling this. I should have been workday but didn't go in. Normally I walk our dog, potter about.

Fishman65, you're so right, I was terrified even though I knew what was happening. I just wanted to know there was someone else there.

Still not feeling great but getting there, I hope.

Dee

ankietyjoe
17-04-21, 22:26
In fairness Joe, panic attacks are frightening which is probably why she's asking for reassurance. Sometimes connecting with another human being who understands and empathises is enough to reassure in itself. Barking at them like a guard dog probably won't help.

Scass, thank you. It's just nice to know I'm not the only one feeling this. I should have been workday but didn't go in. Normally I walk our dog, potter about.

Fishman65, you're so right, I was terrified even though I knew what was happening. I just wanted to know there was someone else there.

Dee

Yes, we know they're terrifying as we've all been there, but the nature of the reassurance required wasn't clear. I wasn't barking, I was asking a genuine question.

Yes Dee, it's common and plenty of other people out there going through exactly the same thing.

Rest assured that the panic attacks pass, and by far the best thing to do is try and just let them happen and then let them go. A pulse of 107 is absolutely fine. Mine would regularly go up to 180bpm when I had bad panic attacks, this lasted for nearly 10 years and at my worst I would get attacks 5-10 times per day. The reassurance you need is that I just don't have panic attacks any more, so they can be beaten.

fishman65
17-04-21, 23:30
Yes, we know they're terrifying as we've all been there, but the nature of the reassurance required wasn't clear. I wasn't barking, I was asking a genuine question.

Yes Dee, it's common and plenty of other people out there going through exactly the same thing.

Rest assured that the panic attacks pass, and by far the best thing to do is try and just let them happen and then let them go. A pulse of 107 is absolutely fine. Mine would regularly go up to 180bpm when I had bad panic attacks, this lasted for nearly 10 years and at my worst I would get attacks 5-10 times per day. The reassurance you need is that I just don't have panic attacks any more, so they can be beaten.Apologies Joe I probably jumped in a little heavily there.

Dee, like Joe says the panic attacks will pass. From experience having an attack after a prolonged absence can make the panic feel worse, a kind of 'shock element' I call it. And I emphasise 'feel' worse rather than actually is. The spacey feeling is us being focused so hard on our body and what its doing, our surroundings can feel like they're receding. PM me if you want to chat.

Scass
18-04-21, 07:28

Dee

Hi Dee,
How are you feeling today?
Don’t let them ruin your weekend. Getting out for some air is a great idea and will stop you wallowing. The best way to have a panic attack is to fear a panic attack.
Maybe plan something gentle, but do try to do it x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pulisa
18-04-21, 08:06
I hope you are feeling more settled this morning, Dee. You've had some great advice here. Have confidence in what the doctor and paramedics said? You probably will feel wobbly for a while yet but that's just the "aftermath". Take care of yourself today and try and do something small that you enjoy xx

Dee62
19-04-21, 10:08
Scass, pulisa, fishman65 and Joe

Thank you all for being so kind and understanding. I'm feeling better at the moment, just tired. I'm calling the doctor this morning to see if they'll sign me off for another week or so. It was just horrible and frightening coming out of nowhere, although I have been under alot of stress.

Last year, quite apart from the pandemic, was a challenge to say the least. My mum had her gallbladder removed and I went to stay with her in February; I broke my hip in June whilst out walking the dog and had to have a total hip replacement; my eldest daughter had meningitis; one of my sons and his partner had a baby and both mum and baby had septicaemia because she was left too long in labour before a c section, thankfully they are both OK. Then at the end of December my younger daughter gave birth to a stillborn baby girl at 7 months and I was with her. I arranged the funeral in January and all that goes with it, been visiting the grave almost every day. My Dr says it's probably stress overload and even possibly a touch of ptsd from breaking my hip. Who knows?? All I want is to feel like me again.

Dee

ankietyjoe
19-04-21, 12:55
Sorry you've had to endure all that, but I think it's absolutely the reason you're feeling the way you are now. I've always found that a reaction to stressful events can take a little while to really hit home, and I think that's what you're experiencing now.

Don't try and force recovery. Try and be mindful of what you've been through and allow your system to do what it needs to do. This might take a few more months yet, but in the meantime go easy on yourself. That doesn't mean stop doing everything you want to do, but rather accept that you've had a really rough time of things and you have earned some mental down time. Don't take on any new stuff and find time to be alone with your thoughts and let them run their course.

And I urge you to make sure your diet is 100% spot on. This can help so much.

WiredIncorrectly
19-04-21, 13:07
Hey Dee,

I've been in your shoes many times. Rest assured 107bpm is nothing. I had a panic attack just yesterday where my heartrate shot up beyond 160bpm. I've had this over 15 years. I can ride them out now, but many times in the past I've called an ambulance or took myself to A&E.

Your experience has turned into a traumatic event because of you calling an ambulance. That will leave a scar you'll never forget. I remember all of my ambulance experiences. So, try to relax and know that you are ok.

pulisa
19-04-21, 13:39
Oh Dee..You've been through such a lot in a short space of time. I think these panic attacks are an acknowledgement of all the trauma which has accumulated and now spilled over into a strong physical manifestation of your distress.

As Joe says..go easy on yourself and allow yourself to recover mentally. I'm so sorry about the loss of your granddaughter in such tragic circumstances. That alone must have been such a huge shock xx

fishman65
19-04-21, 17:09
All I can do is echo what has been said already Dee. That is one hell of a bad time you've had, one that would send anyone into a tailspin. I too am so sorry for your loss, be kind to yourself and try to allow time to heal. Thinking of you x

WiredIncorrectly
19-04-21, 17:10
I didn't read the entire thread, but you've been through a lot. The mental overspill is the panic attack. Stay awesome, and stay strong! :bighug1:

meltedchic
20-04-21, 12:29
Good to know that you're feeling better. Don't stress yourself too much as last year was very challenging in your part. This year, regain your energy and stay away from negative vibes, hopefully, none of your daughters will give birth this year =)