PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of the vaccine — can you share your experience?

anxious_thoughts
18-04-21, 21:18
Hello everyone,

I am hoping to get the vaccine with the next month or two. But I am so anxious...both my parents already for Pfizer, and so did my grandma and they were okay.

But I always have had a fear to take medication or anything like that so I am so nervous about getting the vaccine. I have also been having panic attacks lately about getting the virus. Seems like it’s getting very bad here lately in Toronto. Luckily I can work from home and don’t ever go out.

I have bad anxiety for both. Anyone can let me know their experience of the vaccine? I am hoping to get Pfizer.

Carys
18-04-21, 21:31
But I always have had a fear to take medication

Snap, I have a deep phobia of medication, any sort, I fear side effects and anaphylaxis. It has stopped me taking things in the past, including basic pain-killers. I nearly didn't have necessary surgery due to my intense fear.

I have my vaccine over a month ago now, bar a day of feeling fatigued and a wee bit of headache 24 for hours later, I was entirely fine. (Astra Zeneca) I got myself so worked up leading up to it, since the time I knew many months ago that they were developing vaccines - so a long way back. In the weeks leading up to having it I lost some weight, was very anxious and sleepless, all for 2 minutes of something that was actually easy. I forced myself to go, sweating and shaking LOL, as I realised my fear was stopping me from getting something very important for my own health security. Also, as life progresses, and we age, we are all going to need to get used to needing some treatments - so I viewed it as an important step in taking some control of my phobia.

Fishmanpa
18-04-21, 21:39
Both the wife and I had the 1st dose of the Pfizer on the 1st and other than feeling kinda crap for around 48 hours, nothing out of the ordinary. I would equate it to the flu vaccine with an extra kick. We're due for the 2nd on the 22nd and I expect the same thing. The peace of mind knowing you're protected far outweighs the worry of getting the vaccine or COVID I assure you!

Positive thoughts

Lencoboy
18-04-21, 22:04
Both the wife and I had the 1st dose of the Pfizer on the 1st and other than feeling kinda crap for around 48 hours, nothing out of the ordinary. I would equate it to the flu vaccine with an extra kick. We're due for the 2nd on the 22nd and I expect the same thing. The peace of mind knowing you're protected far outweighs the worry of getting the vaccine or COVID I assure you!

Positive thoughts

I had my first shot of Pfizer on 26th February and apart from a bit of discomfort at the spot where the needle went for about 2 days or so, no problems for me at all.

Try not to get too embroiled in all the scaremongering hype doing the rounds on social media about detrimental vaccine side effects.

glassgirlw
18-04-21, 23:24
I also have a pretty severe medication phobia. I have had both doses of Pfizer. Dose one I had zero side effects other than a mildly sore arm where the needle hit. That went away in a couple days. Had dose 2 21 days later. About 36 hours post second dose, I had a fever of 100 (so not really even classified as a “fever”), but was enough to give me some minor aches, chills, and fatigue. I took one dose of tylenol and went to bed. Next morning I was back to normal again. It really wasn’t bad at all. I’d get it again in a heartbeat. Just the knowledge that I’m much, much more protected than I was before is enough to make my anxiety levels drop over the whole thing. I’ve been pretty anxious about catching Covid as I’m an essential worker and have not been working from home this last year. I’m also morbidly obese so chances of a rough time should I catch it were higher. I’m 41 and Female.

I totally understand your fears. But I believe this is one instance that if you battle back against your fear, you’ll feel so much better having done so.

anxious_thoughts
18-04-21, 23:28
Thank you all so SO much! You have really helped with my vaccine anxiety. Hearing positive stories compared to what has been over social media, is so refreshing.

I actually WANT to get my vaccine sooner now. I hope more appointments open up so I can get it soon. Thank you again ♥️

Lencoboy
19-04-21, 08:19
Thank you all so SO much! You have really helped with my vaccine anxiety. Hearing positive stories compared to what has been over social media, is so refreshing.

I actually WANT to get my vaccine sooner now. I hope more appointments open up so I can get it soon. Thank you again ♥️

You're extremely welcome, Jen.

Social media really sucks at times and IMO is one of the main scourges of contemporary society, especially as a means of spreading misinformation, even pre-pandemic.

I wouldn't be in the slightest bit disappointed if it suddenly vanished off the face of the earth tomorrow, but that will never happen and it's here to stay.

Pamplemousse
19-04-21, 11:32
To the OP: I had Pfizer. Arm hurt a little bit around the injection site for 24 hours and I felt more tired than usual for 48 hours. Then back to normal, whatever that is :)

chinesewall
19-04-21, 15:01
Jen, I had the AZ jab and had no side effects whatsoever - despite stocking up with paracetamol etc just in case. My mother (86) had the pfizer jab and was equally unaffected. I completely get why people are a bit nervous but it's a huge relief once done... Good luck!

elizabethalice
19-04-21, 22:16
I haven't had a vaccination yet myself but similar to you, my parents and grandma have all had it, all of them have underlying conditions, and they had no side effects at all - I think my gran had an achy arm but that was it. Try not to worry, I've had covid and I will 100% take the vaccine any day over having covid again! The worst you'll have is a fluey feeling for a couple of days but you'll be fine :)

pulisa
20-04-21, 08:07
I've had the Pfizer jab and both my children had the AZ. My son has many health issues and was completely fine.

I hope you decide to have the vaccine, Jen but of course it's your choice.

anxious_thoughts
21-04-21, 02:58
To the OP: I had Pfizer. Arm hurt a little bit around the injection site for 24 hours and I felt more tired than usual for 48 hours. Then back to normal, whatever that is :)

Thank you for sharing your experience! I’m happy to hear you had such a great experience with Pfizer. It is such a relief to hear positive ones. I’m hoping to get Pfizer as well.

anxious_thoughts
21-04-21, 02:59
Jen, I had the AZ jab and had no side effects whatsoever - despite stocking up with paracetamol etc just in case. My mother (86) had the pfizer jab and was equally unaffected. I completely get why people are a bit nervous but it's a huge relief once done... Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your experience! I feel a lot better about it but still trying to work my way up to booking the appointment.

anxious_thoughts
21-04-21, 03:00
I've had the Pfizer jab and both my children had the AZ. My son has many health issues and was completely fine.

I hope you decide to have the vaccine, Jen but of course it's your choice.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the vaccine! It helps me calm my nerves. I will definitely be getting it. Still trying to work my way to actually booking the appointment. Although I want it, I still feel that anxiety!

Pamplemousse
21-04-21, 05:30
Thanks for sharing your experience! I feel a lot better about it but still trying to work my way up to booking the appointment.

No problem :) It's just making that first step, isn't it?

There is an old adage in the legal profession here in the UK: "the anticipation is often worse than the verdict".

pulisa
21-04-21, 07:45
If you do definitely want the vaccine then I think you should book a date as soon as possible and get it over with. The longer you wait the more reasons you will find to delay it.

Dee62
21-04-21, 09:44
I have to say, I'm terrified of booking my second AstraZenica jab. The day after my first one I had awful dizziness, nausea, diarrhoea and slight temperature. But I need to have it in the next 11 days. It's the dizziness that frightens me most, it makes me feel so disorientated.

Dee

pulisa
21-04-21, 13:48
I have to say, I'm terrified of booking my second AstraZenica jab. The day after my first one I had awful dizziness, nausea, diarrhoea and slight temperature. But I need to have it in the next 11 days. It's the dizziness that frightens me most, it makes me feel so disorientated.

Dee

I suspect that Covid might make you feel worse though?

BlueIris
21-04-21, 13:55
Dee, I had similar. Spent the day curled up on the sofa watching Netflix; it wasn't fun (the symptoms - sofa and Netflix was great!) but I'd take it over not being able to breathe any day.

Dee62
21-04-21, 15:53
BlueIris and pulisa

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I'd rather have the vaccine!

BlueIris, gave yo had he second one yet?

Dee

BlueIris
21-04-21, 16:00
Not yet, Dee, but I've heard that with the AZ, you tend to get less of a reaction to the second than the first.

Scass
21-04-21, 20:18

Dee

Hi Dee, I know it’s scary but most people have said that the 2nd dose was much better than the first. It’s more like a booster really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darlene85
23-04-21, 19:29
I am also afraid of the vaccine, I want Pfizer, but I am afraid that it will unleash something in me that's broken and I'll be gone. I have an autoimmune disorder so I don't know. But I am terrified of the virus so I'll get the vaccine if they call me before I catch it. I hope I'll live to get it. My HA is extremely bad since this pandemic started.

Melonpony
24-04-21, 06:40
I just got my 1st dose of Pfizer today, and the vaccine itself was fine. Right after I got the vaccine, I went into the waiting area. Everyone must wait under observation for 15-30 minutes. After about 5 minutes, my arm that received the jab felt warm, and I started to feel very lightheaded. My 15 min time was up, so I asked to stay longer. I ended up staying for 45 minutes, and the medical assistant checked me over before I left.
Pretty sure it was anxiety/minor panic attack (it reminded me of panic attacks I've had in the past, but much less intense).
For my second dose, I am having someone come with me because I think that will help keep me calm.

Bottom line- vaccine experience itself was totally fine. It was my own health anxiety issues that ended up causing symptoms. [emoji25]

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Carys
24-04-21, 09:25
It was my own health anxiety issues that ended up causing symptoms.

So honest and aware, and the first person I think I've seen on here throughout the vaccinations discussion who has talked about this happening; the mind is a powerful thing and can certainly cause you to feel incredibly 'real' feelings. This is what so many with HA never understand, that the body can be controlled by the mind in a negative way. Think of those who can hold their breaths under water for extraordinary long times and train their heart beat to go lower, those who end up with severe physical 'illnesses' that cause them to be unable to use their legs and live in wheelchairs - the human mind and not a physical problem. I thank you for your feedback here, as it should remind many anxious people of the real issue.

pulisa
24-04-21, 13:38
Yes it's great insight, Melonpony and hopefully others will benefit from your honesty when they read your post. You've made a very significant contribution to this thread.

Pamplemousse
24-04-21, 18:57
I just got my 1st dose of Pfizer today, and the vaccine itself was fine. Right after I got the vaccine, I went into the waiting area. Everyone must wait under observation for 15-30 minutes. After about 5 minutes, my arm that received the jab felt warm, and I started to feel very lightheaded. My 15 min time was up, so I asked to stay longer. I ended up staying for 45 minutes, and the medical assistant checked me over before I left.
Pretty sure it was anxiety/minor panic attack (it reminded me of panic attacks I've had in the past, but much less intense).
For my second dose, I am having someone come with me because I think that will help keep me calm.

Bottom line- vaccine experience itself was totally fine. It was my own health anxiety issues that ended up causing symptoms. [emoji25]

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

An interesting post, and thank you for both being so candid and for sharing it with us. Hopefully it'll set some minds at ease here.

Fishmanpa
24-04-21, 21:04
We got our 2nd dose of the Pfizer on the 22nd. My wife had a sore arm and that was about it. I had the sore arm and felt pretty yuck yesterday but today is much better. Pretty much like the Flu vaccine TBH.

FMP