PDA

View Full Version : Oh no - now I have to have a Sigmoidoscopy!!

nomorepanic
09-11-07, 21:40
I was replying to a thread the other day about this procedure and a colonoscopy and sympathised cos I wouldn't want to have one!

Well I spoke too soon cos now I do :weep:

I went to see a consultant last night as I have had persistent piles and bleeding and expected him to just inject them and send me on my way. :shrug:

Instead I had a biopsy done, the piles injected, a camera into the lower part of the colon and now told I need a Sigmoidoscopy as my colon is very inflammed and needs further investigation.

I have had diarrhea for as long as I can remember and rarely have solid movements but it has always been put down to anxiety and possibly IBS.

Now they tell me that the inflammed colon is the cause of the diarrhea and needs looking at.

I am very worried as anyone would be and I wouldn't say I particularly suffer with HA but now I am beginning to get scared about the procedure as I want to have it without sedation as anything like that freaks me out big time!

Last night was quite painful and I was sore afterwards and had a bit of a sore stomach today so I am not sure how I will be without sedation but have to give it a go.

I also need to eat or I feel rubbish and giving me an enema will mean I will be running on empty so worried that I will feel crap then as well!

I also want to wait until Alex can drive again so he can take me in case I do need sedation.

I know loads have had it and survived but I just want to say that I am not invincible and I too suffer the anxiety and what ifs and uncertainty that is ahead.

Sorry for moaning - just wanted to write this down and I can update in a few weeks with any news.

Thanks for reading.

kilvosa
09-11-07, 22:00
Hi There
Good luck for your test ive not had it done myself but just wanted to wish you luck.
Take care:hugs:
Annexx

honeybee3939
09-11-07, 22:16
Nic

I have never had one of these either, but just wanted to send you a hug:hugs: and hope things will get sorted for you soon my friend:hugs:

love and hugs
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx

nomorepanic
09-11-07, 22:28
Sorry I assumed you were all doctors:winks: :winks:

Thanks Anne and Andy (cheers for calming me down last night when I was in tears)

It is this ...

Flexible sigmoidoscopy enables the physician to look at the inside of the large intestine from the rectum through the last part of the colon, called the sigmoid or descending colon. Physicians may use the procedure to find the cause of diarrhea, abdominal pain, or constipation.

They also use it to look for benign and malignant polyps, as well as early signs of cancer in the descending colon and rectum. With flexible sigmoidoscopy, the physician can see intestinal bleeding, inflammation, abnormal growths, and ulcers in the descending colon and rectum.

Flexible sigmoidoscopy is not sufficient to detect polyps or cancer in the ascending or transverse colon (two-thirds of the colon). However, although in absolute terms only a relatively small section of the large intestine can be examined using sigmoidoscopy, the sites which can be observed represent areas which are affected by diseases such as colorectal cancer most regularly, eg. the rectum.

countrygirl
09-11-07, 22:29
I know you say you don't want to have sedation but from one who had this proceedure done back in March all I can say is you will wish you had asked for sedation believe me!! I have severe spinal problems so am used to being in constant pain but I can honestly say that the pain of childbirth was comparable with the pain I experienced during the sigmoidoscopy- although it didn't last as long!
Plus if your colon is already inflamed my eyes water at the thought of how it might be for you. My colon was totally normal and yet I experienced excessive pain.
I had sedation for an endoscopy 2 years ago and it was a doddle and the sedation wears off really quickly as well.
I am having to have a colonsocopy just so they can diagnose IBS:mad: in new year and boy do I want the sedation.

kazzie
09-11-07, 22:31
Hi Nic:hugs:

First of all:bighug: :bighug1: :bighug:

I had to be sedated for an endoscopy(camera down throat) and i was dreading it but I have to say it was ok!!!

I was fully aware of what was going on just very relaxed not at all out of it!!!

I know it wont stop you worrying but you will be fine I promise

Luv to You and Alex

Kaz x x x:hugs:

nomorepanic
09-11-07, 22:36
Thanks countrygirl

I think I can tolerate quite a bit of pain - I have fillings without injections so am used to suffering for 15 minutes in total pain. Last time they had to give me the numbing injection I went as white as a sheet apparently and felt so ill.

I just think the sedation will freak me more - so I weigh up pain over panic I guess

nomorepanic
09-11-07, 22:39
Cheers Kazzie - I may change my mind on the day lol!

The consultant was ok about it and I explained I had panic so he understood it would freak me. I can always change my mind I am sure as it is done under private so they are being paid loads for it!!!

Oh this will make you laugh - I took the private prescription for suppositories that I need to the chemist and they told me it would be £124!!!!!!

So I promptly went to the docs and said can they convert it to an NHS one lol!

kazzie
09-11-07, 22:47
Good God Nic......

Seems a bit steep!!!!!

Honestly mate the sedation was cool hardly knew they had done it, very subtle, just made me relax.......bit like a big glass of wine on a weekend does!!!!

Im like you tho hate thought of being out of control etc but it was cool!!!

Im sure you will be fine whatever you decide

Luv Kaz x x x:hugs:

yorkylover
09-11-07, 22:48
http://www.wondercliparts.com/hugs/graphics/hugs_graphics_02.gif:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

shoegal
09-11-07, 23:11
Good luck with the test Nic.

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx :flowers:

Believe
09-11-07, 23:18
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Good Luck Nic, Hope all goes well. Man I hope I never need any of these things done.

trac67
09-11-07, 23:28
Loads of :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: mate, you know you have my support but thought id remind you anyway lol

Lots of love

Trac xxx

groovygranny
09-11-07, 23:44
Crikey, I don't quite know what to say except I think you're very brave Nic - and I'm full of admiration for you.

I'd have to have the whole ruddy bottle cuz a glass certainly wouldn't do it for me !! (no surprise there then!)

Humungous hugs for you mate, but I'm sure all will go well.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/Damaris_u/bighug.gif

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

:flowers:

Dying_Swan
09-11-07, 23:44
Hi Nic

Really sorry you're having to go through all this. I can't write much now but will try to catch up with this thread again soon.

As for sedation - it will be fine. I had a few sedating drugs in hospital a while ago. I'd always been really scared of them as I thought I'd feel out of control/dizzy/faint (panicky basically). Well first I had Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) - didn't make me laugh but I soon realised it wasn't going to make me panic. I just felt drunk. Then came IV Morphine - which I didn't like at all. My biggest fear was the impending General Anaesthetic. I flipped in the anaesthetic room and they sedated me :blush: with two IV drugs - Midazolam (like Diazepam) and Fentanyl (like Morphine) and I must say it was amazing! Within seconds I was calm (despite ripping off the oxygen mask and demanding to know what it was ), and from that I remember no more.

It might help to find out what the sedatives are beforehand. At a guess, I'd predict they are Benzo's. I've had different Benzo's a few times and I've only ever felt calm and peaceful with them - never anxious or panicky or out of control.

Anyway - must go but keep us posted and (stupid thing to say), try not to worry too much.

Take care

xxx :flowers:

nomorepanic
09-11-07, 23:47
Aww thanks all - made me cry again cos I am so stressed at the moment:hugs:

Piglet
10-11-07, 00:03
I don't like doing anything medical that involves taking my tights off (think that's why giving birth took so long) - so I think you're super brave for that alone!!

Sending you lots of good vibes but quite frankly you had that tube shoved up your nose that time and treated it like a walk in the park, so this should be a piece of ........!!!

You can do this!!

Piglet :flowers:

Anna77
10-11-07, 00:13
Hi Nic,

Sorry you're having a bad time at the mo - good luck with the test, and hope everything everything goes well for you :hugs:

Anna x

northern_sky
10-11-07, 01:20
I'm having one on the 20th of this month. :ohmy: I'm trying to ignore any 'brave' :winks: comments in this thread as I'm sure it is an everyday common thing that happens in hospitals and nothing to worry or stress about. :) :weep: :winks: :wacko: *Breathes deeply.* I'm completely terrified...

kittykat
10-11-07, 09:04
Hi Nic,

Just to let you know i had an endoscopy done without any sedation as i was freaked about getting the needle into my hand, and it turned out to be not too bad. Iknow one person that had this sigmoid done ,she's on the PTA with myself and she said it was uncomfortable, she took the sedation but said that it was quite light so was still aware what was happening but just was made to feel a bit more relaxed. I'm sure you'll be fine and just see how you feel on the day and decide then if you can ..............your very brave getting this done as i'm not sure if i could................xxxx

jo61
10-11-07, 09:31
I've had 2 colonoscopies over the years, one with sedation, one without (ouch). I was fine with both but without was very uncomfortable. When they did sedate me, it was with something like valium and I just had a feeling of being woozy. If I had to have it again I'd go that route.

On the subject of private prescription costs, isn't it amazing! I see my psychiatrist privately and she then writes to my GP who prescribes what I need. Suppose he's just glad the PCT is not having to pay for any of my psychiatric care or therapy.

Good luck with whatever you decide Nic. :hugs:

dizzyd
10-11-07, 09:56
Hi Nic,:)

Just a bit of re-assurance over the sigmoidoscopy. Sounds like you have a high pain threshold and so does my Mum. She had one done without sedation and she said it was highly uncomfortable but tolerable - they removed suspicious polyps but all is ok now. :yesyes:

Everyone is different and I suggest you chat to your GP about 'you' as an individual but please be assured it can be done without sedation.
With regards to running on empty - Mum had clear soups (sieved veg broth) and that was quite acceptable along with cordial drinks. But again check with GP.

Take care my friend :hugs:

Love Dawn x

jodie
10-11-07, 11:03
aww nic sweety

i am not sure what to say i have not had this test done befor

but just try stay as calm as you can till the day ,i to would rather the pain then be put under ....you can allways just see how you are on the day ,we alwasy think the worst but i am very sure the doc is doiing it just to be sure just think how many people have the same ect and look you say you have had it a long time thats a good thing realy it wont be anything realy bad havng it that long hun .
good luck with it all nic i am sure you will be just fine
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

jodie xxx

Lindalou64
10-11-07, 13:08
Sorry To Hear What Ya Going Thru Nic..its Normal To Feel The Way Ya Do.......i Have To Have Those 2 Test Myself But Keep Blowing It Off Due To The Sedations Freaks Me Out More Than The Test...but I Guess After Reading This Thread I Would Go For The Sedation I Did Have The One Down The Throat Before But I Was Already Hospitalized And They Told Me I Was Drunk Enough ....as I Was So Sick And Doped Up....but I Wish Ya The Best...an Man You Have Fillings Without Novacaine.......holy S...t God Love Ya...........wish Ya The Best..........linda Xxxx

Sarah Lou
10-11-07, 13:11
Hi Nic

Just wanted to send you good wishes and hope it all goes well for you. I have to say I think your being very brave....I would be in a heap. (HA would see to that!)
Take care
Sarah Lou :hugs:

debera
10-11-07, 15:59
hi nic
wishing you well hun and sending you some hugs:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
debera
x x x

nomorepanic
10-11-07, 17:14
Hi Nic,:)

Just a bit of re-assurance over the sigmoidoscopy. Sounds like you have a high pain threshold and so does my Mum. She had one done without sedation and she said it was highly uncomfortable but tolerable - they removed suspicious polyps but all is ok now. :yesyes:

Thanks Dawn - I am going to try it without and see how it goes. Thanks for the comments.

On the subject of private prescription costs, isn't it amazing! I see my psychiatrist privately and she then writes to my GP who prescribes what I need. Suppose he's just glad the PCT is not having to pay for any of my psychiatric care or therapy.

I was expecting it to be £20 but not £124!! Now I have to wait a few days until they convert it to an NHS one:mad:

I don't like doing anything medical that involves taking my tights off (think that's why giving birth took so long) - so I think you're super brave for that alone!!

Piglet - you are so funny lol :lisa: :roflmao:

I'm having one on the 20th of this month. :ohmy: I'm trying to ignore any 'brave' :winks: comments in this thread as I'm sure it is an everyday common thing that happens in hospitals and nothing to worry or stress about. :) :weep: :winks: :wacko: *Breathes deeply.* I'm completely terrified...

Oh I hope all goes well for you too. Do you have any symptoms ? Did the doc refer you for it? I wish you all the best too.

Thanks to everyone else for the lovely supportive comments :hugs: It means a lot to me.

chucklehound
10-11-07, 18:03
Hi Nic and alex

Just a quick reply to wish you both luck :hugs: :hugs:

bottleblond
10-11-07, 18:56
:flowers: (((((((((((((((((((((((((NIC)))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))) :flowers:

Hope you get well soon hun

Love Lisa
xxxxxxxx:hugs:

honeybee3939
10-11-07, 19:00
Sending you some more hugs Nic:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

hope you have been feeling better today hun.:hugs: :hugs:

Love
Andrea
xxxxxx

nomorepanic
10-11-07, 19:58
Chris, Lisa and Andy

Thanks for the hugs.

I am ok today - I am now feeling silly that I may be worried over nothing and all the replies have made me feel much more comfortable so thanks.

nomorepanic
11-11-07, 22:50
Today I am back to the whatever I eat is soon out again. I know it must be the previous meal and not the one I just ate - but still scarey.

nomorepanic
12-11-07, 22:08
One thing I forgot to ask people...

What was the outcome of this test and what was the diagnosis?

I got my next appointment for this now - 6th December so a few weeks to wait yet!

Coni
13-11-07, 07:16
Hi Nic, just wanted to send you hugs and good luck...I think you're being very brave about the whole thing. Cant really offer any advice as Ive never had anything like this done, but I agree with the others, dont make any decisions about sedation , wait and see how you feel at the time...and best of luck!

((((((((((((((((nic)))))))))))))))))))

luv Coni XX

honeybee3939
13-11-07, 20:19
Nic

Hope you are feeling a little better today:hugs: :hugs:

Love and hugs
Andrea
xxxxxx

nomorepanic
13-11-07, 21:33
Thanks Donna for the reply. Why do our minds work overtime eh??

I feel pretty rubbish at the moment and think that is the dehydration etc from the constant diarrhoea and of course I am not absorbing any nutrients etc.

Coni/Andy - thanks for the hugs. :yesyes:

northern_sky
14-11-07, 01:22
Sorry for interrupting someone else's thread...:blush: (especially the site owners :blush:) but I have an outpatients appointment on Thursday before my sigmoidoscopy on Tuesday. Will I be examined? I don't know what will happen. :blush: I'm scared as always).

hopeful
14-11-07, 09:04
Hi Nic, Only just read this thread.Hope everything turns out well for you.You're very brave to have no anaesthetic,I couldn't.:ohmy:
julie x:hugs:

Lucy36
14-11-07, 13:26
Hi Nic

Im so sorry to hear you have to go through this, but before you know it it;ll be all over, try and keep yourself busy till the date. im sure everything will be ok for you. Good luck!!!

Take care
Lucy x

Karen
14-11-07, 13:49
Hi Nic

Sorry, I've only just seen this.

I just want to wish you well and send some hugs mate :hugs:

You are very brave and hopefully they might be able to help with your symptoms after running tests.

I'm thinking of you :hugs:

Karen xx

nomorepanic
14-11-07, 14:47
Sorry for interrupting someone else's thread...:blush: (especially the site owners :blush:) but I have an outpatients appointment on Thursday before my sigmoidoscopy on Tuesday. Will I be examined? I don't know what will happen. :blush: I'm scared as always).

Hi there

You are not interrupting at all :hugs: All comments are welcome on here.

All I have been told is that I have to go in and have 2 enemas to clear the colon out before seeing the consultant once that has been done.

I hear that isn't especially pleasant but has to be done to remove all food from the parts they want to look at :huh:

Please let us know how yours goes etc.

Greeneyed
14-11-07, 14:58
Okay, to anyone having this done, try NOT to worry, it is actually fine. Okay no one wants something up their bum for goodness sake but is is not half as bad as you imagine. I did not have a sedative. They put air into your colon to open it for the camera to go up, as they get near to the end it can get uncomfortable but it is not agonising pain and I only had this discomfort the last couple of minutes. I walked home afterwards fine - just a little windy.

Some of the posts her make it sound horrific which in my experience it is not.

The enema is nothing to worry about, they are not clearing out your whole colon, it is just the already digested stuff, it is just a small amount of liquid that they put in their you can't feel anything, you wait a couple of minutes then get up and go to the loo as normal for a number 2

Sorry if my message is too graphic but that it the long and the short of it. Unpleasant yes, but fine.

Good luck xx

nomorepanic
14-11-07, 15:18
Greeneyed

Thanks for that informative post. Very helpful indeed.:yesyes:

jill
14-11-07, 16:01
Hi Nic, :hugs: :D

Just to say, hope all goes well, thinking of you.

LOVE JILLXXXX :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

northern_sky
15-11-07, 13:11
Thanks for that Greeneyed. :) I had my outpatients today (I was in hospital for this problem 5 weeks ago), completely pointless, basically the Dr said to me 'have you had your camera done yet'? I said 'no next week' and he said 'see you next week then'. :wacko: :huh:

Paddington
16-11-07, 10:43
Hi Nic:hugs: only just found this thread ..been trying to catch up with folk since my pc blew up:ohmy: a few weeks ago.Oh mate..i do feel for you..i have to see a tum consultant on the 28 and as i have bottom probs too:blush: i wonder if i will have a camera put there too:wacko: ooer mrs!!Years ago it was all barium enemas..been there had that..yuk!So with the cameras it is over and done in a day no.. erm..lasting chalklike reminders:blush: As for the sedation..i did not have it when i had my gastroscopy and i was all over the gaff:blush: :ohmy: ..but like you i am not keen on the whole sedation thing..agh loss of control..:ohmy: Any hoo mrs..you take care and try not to worry[not easy i know hun:hugs: ]Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

northern_sky
20-11-07, 13:01
I've had mine. :D I'm feeling quite giddy having survived it. :D Yes it hurt but not for long and I didn't have any sedation. :D 15 minutes later I was on the bus home. :yesyes: I had an enema too that was fine hardly felt it. :winks:

nomorepanic
20-11-07, 18:56
Glad it went well Northen Sky - great news!

Did you get any results or anything?

I am still struggling with the suppositories as they are painful to insert due to the internal piles so I think mine will hurt quite a bit but still hopeful to have it without sedation.

Glad yours is over with though:yesyes: :yesyes:

northern_sky
20-11-07, 19:56
My results were fine just that I have a painful anal fissure which I already knew :winks: I have pain every time I go to the toilet (for about 8 weeks :blush:) so I was expecting mine to hurt too. I was over the camera pain the minute I stepped from the hospital though so... :yesyes: I just feel really pleased I got through it and I was able to come straight home after a cup of tea and a short sit down which they insist on. No sedation and no having to be picked up. :shades:

nomorepanic
20-11-07, 20:48
Glad you know what is it now. I had one of those in April as well so know how you feel.

Have they offered any treatment to help heal it?

Let's hope mine goes as well and the inflammed colon is nothing too serious to worry about.

northern_sky
20-11-07, 23:30
I've had Rectogesic (cream twice a day) since October when I was in hospital with it. Still hurts a lot... :blush: not as much as it did as I was in agony prior to hospital stay.

nomorepanic
06-12-07, 18:45
Ok I am back from the hospital now and currently in a lot of pain and let's just say that sitting down is very painful :blush: I am also very windy and gurgling and bubbling - that is the air I know.

The enema was worse that I thought and being on the loo so much was very painful. I then came over all hot and faint so all-in-all not a pleasant procedure!

I managed the sigmoidoscopy without the sedation and yes it was very painful at times, but I survived :yesyes:

They have taken even more biopsies but the news isn't all good.

My colon is inflammed all the way up that he went so I have to be referred to a Physician for more tests and possibly a colonoscopy and a white cell count :shrug:

I asked if he knew what was wrong and he said he couldn't say as it wasn't his area of expertise and I needed to see someone with more experience and knowledge of these types of things.

The only comment he made regarding the previous biopsy was that he would query Crohn's disease but the specialist would have to test further for that.

So I am not best pleased at the moment as I wanted all of this to be over with and now I have to wait for more tests etc.

Not a happy bunny tonight :weep: :weep:

trac67
06-12-07, 18:52
Glad you got through it all ok today :hugs:

Trac xx

Alex
06-12-07, 18:59
Nic was amazingly brave today, I am VERY proud of her.

There is no way that I would have had that done without some major anesthetic.

Even a few of the nurses were suprised that she had it done with out any help.

Alex

Dying_Swan
06-12-07, 19:09
Hey Nic.

Sorry to hear it wasn't all what you had hoped for. Well Done for getting through it when you were so nervous :yesyes:

Any idea when the next tests will be?

Take care of yourself xxx :flowers:

Piglet
06-12-07, 19:10
Well done for dealing with all that today - you were very brave!!:yesyes:

I think with these things you can only take them test by test, stage by stage and you've now got the first one out of the way. I know it's very very hard not to worry Nic but if it ultimately sorts out your problem then you will be pleased you've done it.:hugs:

None of us like invasive tests or medical matters do we - butI tend to think of us like cars and it's a rare person who goes a lifetime without needing some tinkering done now and then isn't it and with you it's your big end that needs oiling!!!:blush:

Big hugs

Piglet :flowers:

bottleblond
06-12-07, 19:23
Nic,

Please take it easy for the next few days and spoil yourself a bit, you've been really brave going through all that today and i'll keep me fingers crossed that all your results come back ok!!!

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((NIC)))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))

Love Lisa :flowers:
xxxxxxxx

kestral
06-12-07, 19:26
both my wife and i have had a colonoscopy this year. i was passed clear but my wife was diagnosed with crohns. basically they put a camera up into the bowels and check that area. we had sedation and ended up with loads of wind, didnt quite blow the trumpet voluntary but we wasnt far off. not the nicest of procedures but nothing to worry about.
best wishes
alan

kate
06-12-07, 19:35
Aww Nic, well done on coping so well today :hugs:

Love Kate xxx

jodie
06-12-07, 19:44
nic well done for today you were very brave

thinking of you i am sure all will turn out ok in the end

jodie x:hugs: x:hugs: x:hugs:

northern_sky
06-12-07, 19:49
I agree very brave, (just like I was :winks: :blush: ) I'm sitting here eating all bran, getting all my daily fibre is my new hobby.

honeybee3939
06-12-07, 20:08
WELL DONE Nic for today matey, i think you are so brave:) .

Hope things get sorted for you soon:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Love
Andrea
xxxxxx

debera
06-12-07, 20:22
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: aww nic well done for coping todays. sending you lot of hugs
debera:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Nibbles
06-12-07, 20:57
Be very proud of yourself for getting through this so well as Alex says. I know it wasn't the news you wanted but hopefully the next lot of tests will be the end and you're now one step further towards that. :hugs:

Take care,

Mike x

Coni
06-12-07, 21:10
Well done nic for getting through today...especially with no sedation. I know you're disappointed that its not over yet but try and just get though each but as it comes (easy for me to say I know)....I think you did great. Hope you're resting now and taking things easy.

luv Coni XX

groovygranny
06-12-07, 21:57
Crikey Nic,

How awesome are you?:blush:

I got hot flushes just reading about it - I'm amazed at how you coped, what a testimony!

Sorry you're in pain and feeling c**p about the results - Coni's right about taking each thing as it comes, and it is easy for us to say when it's not happening to us....but we're all rooting for you and sending you loads of luv and hugs.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/kimzim05/fetch18.jpg

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

yorkylover
06-12-07, 22:57
Glad you got through it ok Nic.:hugs:

kazzie
07-12-07, 11:40
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: Nic

Hope it is all sorted soon, Im sure the worse is over now:yesyes:

Well Done for being so brave:shades:

pips
07-12-07, 15:41
Sorry Hun just caught up with post as been so busy at work.

Well Done Nic For getting through it honey. I'm so proud of you. so sorry to hear the test results were not very good. My finger are crossed for you I'm http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u265/korimco/thinkofyou/68.gif and sending you the BIGGEST HUG EVERhttp://picsrc.net/images/glitterComment.gif:hugs: :hugs: http://on1.imgcup.com/images/girly/hugs/hugs43.gifhttp://picsrc.net/images/glitterComment.gif

Take Good Care and I'm here if you need me mate.:hugs:

Love & Wishes,

Pip's X X X X http://www.zingerbug.com/Comments/hugs/xoxoxo.gif

Karen
07-12-07, 18:18
Nic, I think you were very brave to go through that and I wish this had been enough for a final diagnosis.

I hope you are feeling more comfortable today :hugs:

Love and hugs :hugs:

Karen xxx

nomorepanic
07-12-07, 18:39
Thanks everyone for the hugs and kind replies - much appreciated :yesyes: :yesyes:

I had a terrible night's sleep - well I didn't sleep all night and was having major sweats and back ache - not sure that is even related to the sig procedure yesterday but it kept me awake all night anyway.

I haven't been to work today so had a relaxing day and feel a lot better now.

I will try not to worry about the next procedure as I really don't want a colonoscopy as it means basically have the sigmoidoscopy again and more as I understand it.

Will see what the next consultant says I guess.

Trying to think about it for now but could have done with no hassles and a relaxing Xmas :nonono:

I appreciate all your kind comments anyway - cheers :hugs:

honeybee3939
07-12-07, 21:24
Hi Nic

Glad to hear you have had a relaxing day today and are feeling better:hugs: :hugs:

Love
Andrea
xxxxxx

nomorepanic
15-12-07, 00:32
Ok I have an update !

I got an appointment card today with the same consultant on Sunday 30th Dec. (didn't think anyone worked on Sunday's through choice):ohmy:

I called his receptionist and asked why he wanted to see me as the last he told me was that he needed to refer me on.

She said it was to discuss the biopsy results with me so I said that he told me he would refer me and so I wasn't expecting to see him again.

She looked at my notes and said that he wanted to see me to review biopsies but he was still referring me on.

I can't see why he wants to do this as he never bothered contacting me after the last biopsy and surely the new consultant I am going to see can go through the results.

I am half worried and half annoyed that they are delaying it more as I wanted a relaxing Xmas and now of course my mind is working overtime as to why he wants to see me again as he left me with the impression that I wouldn't see him again. He certainly never said he will discuss the results with me.

My mum said I should call Monday and say they are worrying me now and can't they tell me anything over the phone:shrug:

Anyway that is all I know for now!

kazzie
15-12-07, 00:45
Hi Nic:D

Phone them and put your foot down!!!!

Explain that you get worried about such matters and want to talk to someone now.....before Xmas!!!

They will talk if squeezed!!!!

Piglet
15-12-07, 10:36
Yes I would ring them too - save unecessary worry!

Love Piglet :flowers:

groovygranny
15-12-07, 11:03
Yep, go for it and call them Nic,

Tell 'em they'll get more sense out of you if you're informed, rather than full to the brim with anxiety.

Good luck and loads of love and hugs for you xxx

http://www.simply-balloons.com/shop/shopimages/products/normal/hugs%20&%20kisses.jpg

anxious
15-12-07, 15:07
Definately ring them Nic, why do these sort of things always happen at weekend or over bank holidays to just add to the frustration :mad:

:hugs: anx xx

nomorepanic
17-12-07, 22:17
I called today and said I was worried and could I know anything now.

She wasn't the most sympathetic of people but said they didn't even have the results in yet and hoped they would be in by the 30th.

I have to see him so he can discharge me from his care and pass me on to the next consultant.

Oh well I guess I have to wait then!

kazzie
17-12-07, 22:26
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: Nic

nomorepanic
30-12-07, 18:21
I went back to see the consultant today and he said that it is looking like Crohn's Disease from the biopsy results but he is still referring me on for more tests/scans as necessary.

He only wrote the referral letter a couple of days ago so I guess I have to wait and see what happens next.

kazzie
30-12-07, 18:30
Nic:hugs:

groovygranny
30-12-07, 19:54
Big http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee230/phyllis_052/Hugs.gif Nic,

xxx:hugs: xxx

debera
30-12-07, 20:15
hi nic
sending you hugs
luv debera:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Dying_Swan
30-12-07, 20:36
Have one from me too :hugs:

I'm sorry it probably isn't the news you wanted to hear....if it's any help, I've known lots of people with Crohn's who do just fine :)

Take care xxx :flowers:

Karen
30-12-07, 22:22
(((Hugs))) Nic. Thinking of you.

Karen xx

Piglet
30-12-07, 22:27

chillx
30-12-07, 22:52
Nic

(((Hugs))) from me too. :hugs:

love,

nomorepanic
30-12-07, 23:31
Thanks all - I am fine about it. It will mean medication if it is that but I just want to know for sure and will do once I get the next tests done.

I appreciate all the hugs so thanks a lot.

Nibbles
31-12-07, 19:38
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/ATT130636544.gif:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Hope it all gets sorted for you soon.

Take care,

Mike x

trac67
01-01-08, 21:52
http://www.boomspeed.com/1631951/hugs05.jpg

Loads a love

Trac xxx

nomorepanic
01-01-08, 21:58
Thanks Mike and Trac

I will let you all know when I get the next referral!

Paddington
01-01-08, 23:14
hi nic,sorry you have been having a yuk time with your gut hun:blush: I hope they get your meds sorted out soon..i too know a couple of folk who deal with crohns very well hun:) ..lets hope the new year brings you good health:yesyes: love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

kate
02-01-08, 09:30
:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Love Kate xx

nomorepanic
03-01-08, 23:40
Thanks MR and Kate for the hugs etc.

kazzie
04-01-08, 15:47
Thinking of you Nic:hugs:

Kaz x x x:hugs:

nomorepanic
23-01-08, 22:45
Ok an update for those interested. If you are bored already then please ignore :winks: :winks:

I went to see the physician tonight and had a long chat etc and explained the symptoms etc and he had a feel of my stomach.

He still says that it is Crohns but I may have IBS thrown in for good measure as well :mad: . All the biopsy results pointed at Crohns though.

The next step is some medication and an enema each night (great!!) and I will be referred to a dietician to help me choose the right foods to eat/not eat that will aggrevate the IBS if I do have that.

At this stage he doesn't want to do more tests :yahoo: so I am free of the colonoscopy for now.

So we have to see how it goes and go back in 6 weeks.

He also took some bloods - not sure what for but I am sure they will tell me the results sometime:shrug:

We are hoping I can control it with medication (damn - I hate drugs and not happy about this:weep: :weep: ) and a diet change.

That is all for now anyway!

trac67
23-01-08, 22:57
Nic,

Good news on not needing the colonoscopy (cant you have things with smaller words please for people who cant spell lol) for now mate.

Hopefully the meds will help calm it all down for you, I know you dont like meds, but if they are going to help, then they wont be a bad thing.

Love

Trac xxx

kazzie
23-01-08, 23:00
Good luck with it Nic:yesyes:

Sure it will get sorted soon:)

Take care of you and love to Alex and Walnut too:hugs:

Kaz x x x :hugs:

honeybee3939
23-01-08, 23:05
Nic

Been thinking of you today, hope things get sorted for you soon.:hugs:

http://www.boomspeed.com/1631951/Hug-cat.gif

Love
Andrea
xxxxxx

nomorepanic
23-01-08, 23:25
Kazz - thanks

Andy - thanks for thinking of me and popping on MSN to ask how I am. Much appreciated that you remembered.

nomorepanic
23-01-08, 23:26
Trac - ban me from reading the leaflet lol

Richie
23-01-08, 23:30
Hoping you feeling better now Nicola
Wishing you good health for future xxxxxxxxxxxxx
this pink's a bit washed out isn't it lol
Richiexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

alexis
24-01-08, 00:04
Hi Nic, at least horrid tests over, I know and have nursed people with Crohns including children and although it must be very daunting for you, hopefully you will soon learn to cope with it. Hope the diet helps, also hope it throws in the odd ""Stella """ here and there, just found out today I may need surgery, but my problem is small, just waiting now, waiting is always the worst, and not knowing, take care, catch you on msn soon.xxx

jodie
24-01-08, 12:45
hi nic

well things are not looking to bad mate at least there is somthing you can do about it and mabe start to feel better soon with the changes you have to make :hugs:

jodie xx

groovygranny
24-01-08, 13:02
Aaw, 'ere comes granny - flippin' late as usual!! :wacko:

Huuuuuuuge http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x293/grise_2007/hugs.giffor you mate.

Hope that knowing you won't need the colonopomolopoly thing helps to make you feel better!

lots of luv to you xxx

kate
24-01-08, 13:20
Glad you at least now know what it is :yesyes:

Hope that it can be controlled by diet and drugs (much as we all hate them!)

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Love Kate xxx

Paddington
24-01-08, 13:43
thanks for the update nic:hugs: i was wondering what the outcome had been..what meds will they be..do you know yet??Do they know why you have it at all hun??I was wondering if it was colitis[sp!:blush: ]as it can have the same symptoms..or even chronic ibs??I hope the meds stop all the horrid symtoms nic:hugs: keep us posted :flowers: Love paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Piglet
24-01-08, 15:38

nomorepanic
24-01-08, 21:25
Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated.

They don't really know what causes it and I think it is a bit like colitis but with a posher name. Basically an inflammed colon.

I guess with the IBS as well it is hard to tell which symptoms are from which illness.

I should be getting the medication tomorrow - I think it is the oral version of the suppositories I have been using - Pentasa.

Will let you know how it goes.

Paddington
25-01-08, 12:28
thanks for the reply nic:hugs: i really hope the meds work for you hun..and the oral ones have GOT to be better than the alternative:ohmy: :blush: .Here's some hugs..:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:Love Paddie,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

kestral
25-01-08, 18:45
as mentioned in my earlier post, my wife as crohns so i thought this advice may help.
she was told to carry spare underwear so if she had a situation whilst out it would be less embarrassing and more able to deal with things.
she got a key from the local council office for disabled toilets.
joined the crohns disease society which costs £12 a year and among their welcome pack was a card that says she as crohns and asks to use the private toilet facilities of shops etc if for some reason she needed to in an emergency.

alan

nomorepanic
25-01-08, 22:28
Thanks Donna, Paddy and Alan - I have taken the advice on board and really want to cure this without medication but know I need it for now.

I am a bit p****d off tonight after ringing PPP about the treatment. Apparently they will only pay for 2 sessions with the dietician and that is ONLY if the doc confirms that I never had any of these symptoms ever before.

They are sending me another form that costs me £15 to get filled in by the doc and I explained this and that I need more than 2 sessions with dietician but cos I now have a "chronic condition" it is not covered in the same way.

Great - so I get ill and private health care doesn't cover it - I am so mad!! Surely that it is what is there for:shrug:

I am not against seeing the NHS about this but I know I will have to wait and the last time I saw a dietician she wasn't much help and I needed to see someone that specialised in diets for people with IBS and Crohns

Fed up now :curse:

nomorepanic
25-01-08, 22:33
P.S. Can I point out that I am not some stuck up old cow that has private health insurance cos I can afford it. We get it free through Alex's company (he just pays the tax on it). The reason I used it is because of the waiting lists on the NHS. If I was waiting for them I would only now have got the first appointment and have months of pain before a diagnosis.

I am not a snob at all and do value the NHS but just feel let down by the Private care now as well! When you need it - you aren't covered.

trac67
25-01-08, 22:36
Oh and there was me thinking you were a stuck up old cow who was a snob haha

Have a chat with your doctor Nic and see if he can help you work around what the PPP have said

Love

Trac xx

nomorepanic
25-01-08, 22:42
Trac

Now where is that button :busted: :ban: :bansign:

I actually like cows :winks:

Thanks for the support and chat earlier:hugs:

trac67
25-01-08, 22:44
Damn we dont have a grovelling smilie on here haha

Thats ok mate :hugs:

Love

Trac xxx

coxwit
25-01-08, 22:52
Nicola,

My wife has suffered with Chrones disease for 13 years and for most of it has kept in under control through diet and lifestyle plus Pentasa and Flagil. One of the keys for her is no red meats and a gluten and sugar free diet (that is a very simplified version). After our second son was born though it did get bad for her and she had to break down and go onto an immuno-suppresive drug (keep in mind that is after 13 years). She has never had to have surgery. If you want some resources for dietary help you can private message me and I'll see if she can't give you the name of some really helpful books. Only problem is a lot in the regular medical community both GP's and GI's don't give a lot of credence to special diets as they would rather push pills so don't look for their advice on diet other than the basic.

Andy

nomorepanic
25-01-08, 22:57
Thanks Andy - I am going on oral Pentasa as well and some enema that I don't know the name of yet!

I will PM you - cheers

nomorepanic
27-01-08, 00:41
Ok got the anal thingy and drugs

I took a tablet in 2 halves tonight and I am still alive - phew!!

The enema thing is another challenge all togther - it is all plastic tubes and foam - agggggggggggghhhhhhhh

kate
27-01-08, 07:30
Glad you are still alive after your med's, Nic :yesyes:

Good luck with the Enema :ohmy:

Love Kate xx

Piglet
27-01-08, 14:57

Just remember which end mate!! :blush:

nomorepanic
27-01-08, 23:12
Took the full dose this morning and was fine till an hour later and then felt really woozy and quite panicky.

Just taken the next dose today as well.

We had great fun with the enema last night :blush: :blush: Maybe a bit of practise is needed :roflmao:

groovygranny
27-01-08, 23:25
Ooooer, :ohmy:

Sounds like you might need a hand Nic.

Now, I have this Nursey Friend.......:blush:

http://www.kellysklowns.com/images/NurseEnema-POSITION1.jpg

....and I'm told she warms her hands first lol !!!

Seriously, Good Luck mate - you're very brave! xxx

nomorepanic
27-01-08, 23:32
Cheers GG - we may need it cos Alex does not want to help for some unknown reason :ohmy:

I thought he loved me as well :lac: :winks:

honeybee3939
27-01-08, 23:52
Nic

WELL DONE for taking the meds:yesyes: , stick with them:hugs: and hopefully things will improve for you.

Been thinking of you:hugs:

Andrea
xxxxxxxx

nomorepanic
28-01-08, 23:44
Ok for the first time ever in the history of my med taking I seem to be free of any side-effects.

Taken 4 tablets today and no bad side effects :yahoo: :yahoo:

This is a first for me.

Still got to suss the enema though lol - that is a hard one :whistles:

coxwit
29-01-08, 12:00
Nicola,

Had my wife send you a lenghty private message on Chrones, diet and lifetsyle. If it didn't go through let me know and we can re-send.

Andy

Southern_Belle
29-01-08, 22:09
:bighug1: Nic.

Love,

Laura

nomorepanic
29-01-08, 22:17
Andy - I got it cheers - will have a good read. Thanks