PDA

View Full Version : Do Ingrown toenails go away on their own?

Matthew1233
24-04-21, 17:28
I think I have one. What should I do and are they dangerous. Read online they can become seriously infected and could cause sepsis or gangrene.

How do I get it to go away?

Thanks

Carys
24-04-21, 22:19
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ingrown-toenail/

Ta da ! All the info. you should need there :)

Its an ingrown toenail, really common, and I've never heard of anyone, ever, having on their death certificate 'died of ingrown toenail infection'. ;)

Matthew1233
29-04-21, 18:03
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ingrown-toenail/

Ta da ! All the info. you should need there :)

Its an ingrown toenail, really common, and I've never heard of anyone, ever, having on their death certificate 'died of ingrown toenail infection'. ;)

I removed the pus with a sterile needle (about 3 days ago) and the swelling and pain has gone down but the redness is still there and idk why.

Fishmanpa
29-04-21, 18:06
I removed the pus with a sterile needle (about 3 days ago) and the swelling and pain has gone down but the redness is still there and idk why.

Takes a while to heal and it the nail is still ingrown, it may persist. If it continues to swell or get's painful again, give your doc a call. It's no biggie and they can take care of it in the office if need be.

Positive thoughts

fizzymoon86
29-04-21, 20:16
I’ve had ingrown toenails on both of my big toes - I did get an infection and I’ve had both removed but I definitely didn’t die so all’s good there [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fizzymoon86
29-04-21, 20:16
Just to clarify - I had my toe nails removed, not the toes themselves lol [emoji23]

Carys
29-04-21, 20:46
:roflmao:

The clarification WAS definitely needed !

:roflmao:

pulisa
29-04-21, 21:06
I’ve had ingrown toenails on both of my big toes - I did get an infection and I’ve had both removed but I definitely didn’t die so all’s good there [emoji1303]

Me too. I'm still standing !:)

Matthew1233
30-04-21, 12:09

Just worried about cellulitis or something

Carys
30-04-21, 12:18
Matthew, if you are still having problems, it still looks infected (hot, red, swollen, painful) then go see the GP. If the toenail is carrying on being ingrown despite you following the nhs advice I posted above then it might need looking at.

Matthew1233
30-04-21, 15:14
It's not swollen or hot at all just slightly painful on the actual nail but still red I have also removed the pus and it doesn't even look ingrown I blame my work shoes they are tight and damp I'm getting new ones I've also had a family member look at it and they say it's fine

Carys
30-04-21, 15:37
OK, then I would say if your family member has taken a look and another pair of 'less HA eyes' have said its ok, then go with it. Changed the shoes, give as much air as you can not wearing shows and see if it resolves, which it most likely will. Sometimes just a tiny bit of uncut nail, right at the edge of the toenail can poke in to the skin as the nail grows and cause this (well it has in me). Check the very edges of your cut nails.

Matthew1233
30-04-21, 16:28
OK, then I would say if your family member has taken a look and another pair of 'less HA eyes' have said its ok, then go with it. Changed the shoes, give as much air as you can not wearing shows and see if it resolves, which it most likely will. Sometimes just a tiny bit of uncut nail, right at the edge of the toenail can poke in to the skin as the nail grows and cause this (well it has in me). Check the very edges of your cut nails.

Thanks very much just hope my new shoes will come soon

Matthew1233
01-05-21, 22:06

Update: I am going to book an appointment with a podiatrist coz I have read too much stuff on the internet about people from sepsis from an untreated ingrown toenail (if that's what even is at this rate, coz Im starting to doubt it) and its sent my anxiety sky high unfortunately.

Fishmanpa
01-05-21, 22:46
Update: I am going to book an appointment with a podiatrist coz I have read too much stuff on the internet about people from sepsis from an untreated ingrown toenail (if that's what even is at this rate, coz Im starting to doubt it) and its sent my anxiety sky high unfortunately.

"Told Ya So Gang" on standby :winks:

FMP

Matthew1233
01-05-21, 23:35
Sorry I'm confused. Is that a reference?

Carys
02-05-21, 09:07
You family member said it was ok though ?

Scass
02-05-21, 14:52
How about you soak your foot in salt water a couple of times a day and try very hard to keep it clean. It might take a few days for an appointment to come through, so the salt water may keep it infection free.