PDA

View Full Version : Afraid of bradycardia with Trazodone

Deepseathree
03-05-21, 03:02
I started taking a BP medication and Trazodone for sleep and my lack of sleep has taken a toll on my BP. I’m afraid of taking the Trazodone as my heart rate is already low 60s high 50s. Obviously my worry is if it will be lowering my HR even lower.

anom
03-05-21, 08:06
Going lower isn't necessarily bad. I'm currently sat here drinking a coffee, after just taking my beta blocker (I'm aware they are probably cancelling each other out) and my bpm is about 46. I think the internet making out anything below 60 is a bit damaging to a lot of people, maybe if your heart rate is below 60 and your getting out of breath while your sitting down..well thats different.

panic_down_under
03-05-21, 10:49
I started taking a BP medication and Trazodone for sleep and my lack of sleep has taken a toll on my BP. I’m afraid of taking the Trazodone as my heart rate is already low 60s high 50s. Obviously my worry is if it will be lowering my HR even lower.

Trazodone probably won't have a major impact on heart rate at the 25-75mg trazodone dose typically prescribed for insomnia, plus it has a short half-life.

While 60-100 bpm has long been considered the 'normal' adult resting heart rate many cardiologists are coming to the view that we should be aiming for 50-70bpm (https://myheart.net/articles/what-is-a-normal-heart-rate/). Fwiw, since lung surgery 15 years ago I've been on highish doses of a BP med to drive the pressure below normal which keeps my resting rate at 47-50bpm most of the time and this hasn't caused any issues.