PDA

View Full Version : Been awhile:Doc appt coming up

StephA
03-05-21, 16:55
Hey guys. It’s been awhile since I’ve let my anxiety take over. I haven’t been to the doctor for a regular yearly checkup in just over two years because of covid. My doctor’s office in North Carolina was only doing telephone appointments unless someone was really sick since last February. We moved back to Texas where we are from in November and I tried to get in with my doc at NC before we moved, but couldn’t because they were still only doing phone consults. Anyway I called my mom’s doctor here in TX and she couldn’t see any new patients til May so I see her Wednesday. For some reason I am terrified she will find something either on physical exam or in lab work. I’ve never really been scared of that before but since lockdown I haven’t been to the gym, haven’t been eating real healthy, etc. I tend to stress eat. Ugh. I just turned 45 as well. Texas is wide open but we still just don’t get out much. I’ve been stressed and more stressed the closer it gets to my appointment. Another worry is headaches. I’ve always had chronic headaches but over the last seven days I’ve had three really bad ones, including one today. It switches sides so I’m hoping it’s just migraines. They start really early like 4:30-5:00 in the morning and usually subside by bedtime. In NC I would get bad ones almost every time it was cloudy or raining. I can’t take NSAIDs because they kill my stomach so I only take Tylenol which doesn’t help really. Anyway, I’m still nervous about it being a tumor because I did have breast cancer eight years ago. With the type I had, the chance of recurrence or metastasis really goes down after year five, but I still have the worry. It’s really windy and dusty in Texas where we live so I’m hoping part of the issue is allergies as well. I know reassurance isn’t good for anxiety and I don’t know why I’m seeking it but here I am. Anyways thanks for letting me get it out!

Scissel
03-05-21, 18:08
Welcome back to NMP; Steph

I also tend to stress eat .. haven't been eating the right foods either lately and my blood work turned out to be fine. I'm (more than) a few years older than yourself and we should eat well. I also don't get out much as I have awful agoraphobia. I'm glad (at least) your headaches subside at bedtime ... we need to have that time to 'reset'.

Best of luck with your appointment and try to be optimistic.

StephA
03-05-21, 18:44
Thanks so much for the encouragement, Scissel!

pulisa
04-05-21, 08:32
Anticipatory anxiety is so horrible..and gives you time to imagine all the worst case scenarios and what if's...

I totally understand your fears but you've got your appointment now and you can talk to an expert about your headaches and your worries in view of your history. Much better to talk to someone who can examine you rather than consult Dr Google!

It's nearly Wednesday now so I just wanted to wish you good luck and I do hope you come away reassured and informed and that you can get on with your life again after getting a clean bill of health.