PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about CTE.

beq45
03-05-21, 22:25
Hi, I am a 29 year old male, and due to all the news stories I’ve heard about athletes with CTE, I’ve developed a very real concern about the prospect of getting it. I’ve never participated in a high-risk sport like hockey, boxing, or American football that would have exposed me to many hits to the head, but I’ve been hit in the head hard by accident several times over the years. These are the situations that come to mind:

-Hit in the head by a baseball that my friend threw when I wasn’t paying attention (got a goose egg from this)
-Hit my head on the ground while sledding in the snow when I was young
-Hit the back of my my head on the corner of my bedroom dresser after falling backwards on my bed

Other than that, I’ve hit my head other times, but just infrequent bumps that everyone gets. The only incident above that gave me concussion-like symptoms was the sledding accident I mentioned. Anything related to dementia hits close to home for me, as I’ve seen loved ones affected by it, so this is one of those fears that’s hard for me to shake.

Fishmanpa
04-05-21, 00:02
All the news stories? Or all the stories you looked up on Google? This is a non issue.

FMP

beq45
04-05-21, 01:17
All the news stories? Or all the stories you looked up on Google? This is a non issue.

FMP

I've also used Google, but the news is how I originally heard about this. It's very hard to avoid when you follow sports.

Fishmanpa
04-05-21, 01:34
I follow sports too and while it does happen, it's not a common occurrence or in the news all the time. That's fact. Again, this is a non-issue, especially in light of your situation.

FMP